Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Alpha Game Play Footage Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment has released a new collection of game play goodness from PlanetSide 2. The action comes courtesy of the alpha client, with this trailer being shown during the recent Game Developer's Conference. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Would like to see that in HD. But good to know its coming a long nicely.

• CepoxCepox Member UncommonPosts: 1

This game reminds me command and conquer renegade.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

looks interesting.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i distinctively remeber the word "Huge" used to describe SWTOR worlds...let's hope this is a different kind of huge.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

As a FPS this looks pretty awesome.  I'm not sold on the persistent MMO part of it as I usually dislike mixing genres because invariably soemthing gets lost in translation.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Nice, it looks much better  then rest of  the games. Maybe after all i buy one game this year

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by palulalula

Nice, it looks much better  then rest of  the games. Maybe after all i buy one game this year

Best thing is, you doesn't even have to pay for it. It's F2P man. :)

This game is THE game I've been waiting for since the original PlanetSide. I literally can't wait, and the game is looking so good already! I haven't been this excited since... well.

• KynmoreKynmore Member UncommonPosts: 66

Originally posted by Zylaxx

As a FPS this looks pretty awesome.  I'm not sold on the persistent MMO part of it as I usually dislike mixing genres because invariably soemthing gets lost in translation.

Did you never play PS1?

Brrrflp!

Originally posted by Lorgarn

This game is THE game I've been waiting for since the original PlanetSide. I literally can't wait, and the game is looking so good already! I haven't been this excited since... well.

oh.. f2p, well thats too bad.  Guess I'm still waiting.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

All you people who never played PS1 are in for the time of your life. :)

Planetside will rule your life :P

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

Originally posted by ElderRat

dude, this kind of games need to be f2p for thousands of players to play it, it it's a subs base, i dont think there will be enough player to fill the world like crazy

So What Now?

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by TweFoju

dude, this kind of games need to be f2p for thousands of players to play it, it it's a subs base, i dont think there will be enough player to fill the world like crazy

Don't mind him, he's one of those who looks at the business model instead of the actual product itself. It usually takes a lot of time and effort to open their eyes. 

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

I'm not usually into FPS style games, but I did enjoy PS1.

If this'll actually be free to play, I'll check it out again.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Christ I hope this comes out sooner than later it looks like a dream come true.  I grew up using Macs and never got to experience PS1 myself so bring it on!

Full Sail University - Game Design

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

My divorce...coming soon!

Originally posted by TweFoju

Don't mind him, he's one of those who looks at the business model instead of the actual product itself. It usually takes a lot of time and effort to open their eyes. 

Actually I have yet to find a f2p that doesn't have a cash shop and I am against cash shops in games.  I also prefer subs to f2p.   This is my preference, you have yours and I did not try to "open your eyes" to accept mine.   Enjoy your f2p cash shop games. I don't like them.

• StuporityStupority Member Posts: 53

Never played PS1 but can't wait to try this one out hoping there's room out there for casual cannon fodder and I get to see really big fights which I haven't seen in any game yet. My only concern is that this comes out too close to TSW, AA, or GW2 which I'm also interested in at least trying out. My recent frustrating experiences with MMORPGs have made me think  that I need something very different and PS2 might just fit the bill. Thumbs up for getting into the beta whenever they start...

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Actually I have yet to find a f2p that doesn't have a cash shop and I am against cash shops in games.  I also prefer subs to f2p.   This is my preference, you have yours and I did not try to "open your eyes" to accept mine.   Enjoy your f2p cash shop games. I don't like them.

You didn't get the memo? Microtransactions are here to stay.  I guess you'll need to find a new hobby within the next couple of years by then sub only just won't exist.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Originally posted by Gorilla

You didn't get the memo? Microtransactions are here to stay.  I guess you'll need to find a new hobby within the next couple of years by then sub only just won't exist.

What can they sell without having an impact on gameplay? I can imagine some account features, but I can only come up with things that can be seen as gamebreakers.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Please tell me i won't be locked into FPS view all the time? one of the main reason i couldn't play MO.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Sony Online Entertainment has released a new collection of game play goodness from PlanetSide 2. The action comes courtesy of the alpha client, with this trailer being shown during the recent Game Developer's Conference. Check it out!

Three factions - finally someone gets it. 

So tired of the stalemate or oversized faction x vs y red team vs blue team experience. 

Thank you for getting it! :)

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

They have said what will be in the cash shop and nothing is pay to win so far.  90% of it is cosmetics.   I have this gun but i want it to look like this so i buy that.   The gun is still the same gun just different look.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Khealler

Originally posted by Gorilla

What can they sell without having an impact on gameplay? I can imagine some account features, but I can only come up with things that can be seen as gamebreakers.

Dunno tbh. Even in this early (and brief) video they said they wanted a level playing field for players. Of course that may or may not turn out to be true.  I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity they will come up with something.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Looks excellent.  The F2P model will ensure that my friends are going to give it a try too.  Best of all, the FPS combat doesn't have any of that awful console feel to it like so many others these days.  No 3rd person, over the shoulder view and apparently, no craptastic cover mechanic.  Feels like an actual FPS, the way we use to play them.  Really looking forward to this one.

One thing though is the cash shop.  I'm all for it, but be prepared to face an armageddon of whining and whinging as the game gets closer to launch.  It's popularity is going to attract the "P2W" doomsayers like flies to sh*t.  Get ready to bunker up.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

The interesting thing is that there really is no difference between a sub and a cash shop game because a sub is just a persistant cash shop that runs even if you are not in the game playing it.However there are differences in the way some companies run said cash shops.

And on a side note most shooters have no "sub fee" anyhow,this is a big shooter on a mmo scale without the pve so why would you even want to pay a sub for it?

I would have no problem paying a box price for the game itself but would not pay a sub for it.