Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In WvW, siege weapons cost gold. Gems buyers have a WvW advantage

Comments

• gu357u53rgu357u53r Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Originally posted by darkehawke

Originally posted by gu357u53r

This is a similar arguement.

But look at it like this.

I need gold and don't have any.

You have gold

I use real money to buy a gem worth the value of gold you have

we trade

Now, I have gold, and you have a gem worth the same value as the gold you had before

neither of us has nothing.

So do you want ArenaNet to let the players run the servers?

I don't think I'd go that far...I'd be happy with no trading real money for gold.

Except it already happens in every mmo. Cash shop or not

What breaks the economy is the scale to which it happens.

In games where it's bannable, many "honest" people stay that way.

Where it's acceptable..many many more are doing it and make the problme all the worse.

What if all the items in the cash shop were soulbound in theory?  But you could still get those same items through an expansion?  If the cash shop items were all soulbound the access fee to get in the game will deter gold buyers from the legit stepping stone ladder we discussed earlier.  Will it deter them from still selling items and gold out of game?  No, but that access fee will deter alot more people than if it was free to play.  Does it make sense now that either the developer is double dipping its customers or trying to maintain power & connectivity of the servers for everyones benefit?  Yes, but that is assuming the game will have expansions in regards to double dipping.  If the game is going to have expansions there is really no need for some of the items in the cash shop.  Which way that meter sways in that  last question only they know.  Are they going to make it right?  I would go out on a limb and say yes!  If they already dropped the reoccuring fee concept, since it is double dipping to a degree regardless if the game has an agreement or not, you can have alittle faith they are trying their hardest to make it right for all players.  They know this is their bread maker, and if they don't get it right they will be living at home with their parents or working at Wal-Mart like the rest of us.  They won't screw it up. Lets hope not? o.O

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by fiontar

OMG, you can buy things with gold! People who farm gold will have an advantage in WvW!!! We have to limit the ability to earn gold, or this game will be so imbalanced!

As if other games don't have people who buy gold for $$$ from gold sellers, or people don't funnel cash from wealthy character to alts to give the new characters a leg up.

I swear some people seem to want a communist economic system in their MMOs all of a sudden...

Nahh , currently its the only thing they can hate on GW2 for so thery are trying their darnest to make cities out smoke. (illusion)

So the OP i have one thing to say .....

YOU are NOT a MESMER.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Jetrpg

OMG, you can buy things with gold! People who farm gold will have an advantage in WvW!!! We have to limit the ability to earn gold, or this game will be so imbalanced!

As if other games don't have people who buy gold for $$$ from gold sellers, or people don't funnel cash from wealthy character to alts to give the new characters a leg up.

I swear some people seem to want a communist economic system in their MMOs all of a sudden...

Nahh , currently its the only thing they can hate on GW2 for so thery are trying their darnest to make citys out smoke. (illusion)

YOU are NOT a MESMER.

LOL.  Even if Anets recent repugnant change of philosophy on the cash shop WERE the only thing wrong with the game, that would still be like saying that "the only thing wrong with my date was that she stole my wallet.  Pretty face and bod though!"

There are some features I can agree/disagree with and ultimately accept them.  The crass cash shop they are implementing in beta is a show-stopper in and of itself.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Nahh , currently its the only thing they can hate on GW2 for so thery are trying their darnest to make citys out smoke. (illusion)

YOU are NOT a MESMER.

LOL.  Even if Anets recent repugnant change of philosophy on the cash shop WERE the only thing wrong with the game, that would still be like saying that "the only thing wrong with my date was that she stole my wallet.  Pretty face and bod though!"

There are some features I can agree/disagree with and ultimately accept them.  The crass cash shop they are implementing in beta is a show-stopper in and of itself.

Well now I wish I would have never seen the cash shop.  Because I think I would rather see this being spammed,

wts <cash shop item>  for 1000g

Than to see,

wts 10000g for $9.99 email me at [email protected]

Because either way they go about it, it's going to happen unless everything everybody picks up is soulbound including currency. But wait then we might see,

wts account w/ max characters and gear msg me at iamarenanettryingtomakeenoughmoneytokeeptheserversrunningfortheremainingplayers@gmail.com

Have a nice day! ;)

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

YOU are NOT a MESMER.

So why don't you just move on already if it is such a show stopper. All I see is a massive troll

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

YOU are NOT a MESMER.

Well now I wish I would have never seen the cash shop.  Because I think I would rather see this being spammed,

wts for 1000g

Than to see,

Because either way they go about it, it's going to happen unless everything everybody picks up is soulbound including currency. But wait then we might see,

wts account w/ max characters and gear msg me at iamarenanettryingtomakeenoughmoneytokeeptheserversrunningfortheremainingplayers@gmail.com

Have a nice day! ;)

LOL how far Anet and its followers have fallen.  It has been amusing how the arguments supporting the cash shop have evolved as it has become more and more crass and pay2win with each new leak and each new "slight modification to our manifesto."  At first many denied it, but now the argument has moved on to "Well you can't stop pay2win anyway so might as well have Anet profit off it!"

Another once respected game developer has gone down.  Very sad actually...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

YOU are NOT a MESMER.

wts for 1000g

Than to see,

Have a nice day! ;)

LOL how far Anet and its followers have fallen.  It has been amusing how the arguments supporting the cash shop have evolved as it has become more and more crass and pay2win with each new leak and each new "slight modification to our manifesto."  At first many denied it, but now the argument has moved on to "Well you can't stop pay2win anyway so might as well have Anet profit off it!"

Another once respected game developer has gone down.  Very sad actually...

oops when i edited it my message got messed up that should say wts <cash shop item> for 1000g.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

some ppl are really blind or worse, please, stop defending and supporting games with cash shops. we dont need that kind of sh**.

• style360style360 Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

some ppl are really blind or worse, please, stop defending and supporting games with cash shops. we dont need that kind of sh**.

Cash shop in and of itself is okay. Developers and publishers are, contrary to popular opinion, allowed to make money.

Which MMORPG do you, gainesvilleg, and geeteeeffoh support?

What type of MMORPG do you, gainesvilleg, and geeteeeffoh support?

dont spend any money on them, once they realise we dont like cs,  ask me again.

i have faith that players will see truth someday.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Vote with your wallet.

Pretty much sums up this entire thread.

Don't like GW2 business model? Don't buy the game, or don't spend anything in the shop.

Better yet, go and play a subscription based MMO if that is what you like.

Don't tell me what to do, and I won't tell you what to do.

But if ya'll keep trying to tell me what to do, what I should do with my money, then I am going to tell you to mind your own damn business and piss off!

so you don't play any mmorpg then?

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by BadSpock

Vote with your wallet.

Don't like GW2 business model? Don't buy the game, or don't spend anything in the shop.

But if ya'll keep trying to tell me what to do, what I should do with my money, then I am going to tell you to mind your own damn business and piss off!

Do you just like to write out cliches and platitudes instead of discuss things?

Voting with your wallet is exactly what doesn't work.  The cash shop method of wringing money from players is proven.  The only thing that could keep it fair is the principle of fairness, not profits.   Telling people to go play something else is idiotic and crops up in every mmo forum and is the sign of a fanboy, don't be one.

Vote with your wallet.

unfortunately you are right, but we really hope and fight for a better future of the genre we all like.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

lol people. please stop spamming your assumptions propaganda on every GW2 thread. 

If you do not like the unofficial system just GTFO and play your SWTOR, Rifts and WOW.

Come back and spam again after GW2 has already been launch.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Your faith and truth do not trump my facts and reality.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by xmenty

lol people. please stop spamming your assumptions propaganda on every GW2 thread. 

If you do not like the unofficial system just GTFO and play your SWTOR, Rifts and WOW.

Come back and spam again after GW2 has already been launch.

Those games you listed are even worse they allow players to manipulate one another for financial gain.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

You mean I get to destroy things that cost real money? That's pure PVP win right there.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Vote with your wallet.

I don't always agree with you BadSpock, but here you're absolutely spot on.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

You mean I get to destroy things that cost real money? That's pure PVP win right there.

You get to destroy things that may have cost real money, there's no way to know for sure in game. Gold is gold after all. But yes, you're absolutely right... there are those that will spend real money for what ultimately proves to be a destructible whatever. Yes, win all around.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by adam_nox

Vote with your wallet.

Do you just like to write out cliches and platitudes instead of discuss things?

Voting with your wallet is exactly what doesn't work.  The cash shop method of wringing money from players is proven.  The only thing that could keep it fair is the principle of fairness, not profits.   Telling people to go play something else is idiotic and crops up in every mmo forum and is the sign of a fanboy, don't be one.

So players like the cash shop model.

So why can't they have their preferred model if they want?

My experience with a cash shop game is limited to LOTRO and that was done really well, there was no pay to win items at all and you could earn enough points in game to be able to buy all the items in the shop without spending a penny.

Cash shop models can be done right

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Do all you people hating on the cash-shop or box price have a job? and if you do, do you enjoy getting payed from doing that work you do? i know i do, thats why i support ANet with the cash shop, they are people too, just cause they are devs doesnt make them rich. What is PAY2WIN about it? OK you can buy gems to trade for gold, k so now you have 5k more gold than you did 5 minutes ago, now what do you buy with that 5k gold that makes you have an advantage over me that has been playing for a month and i have neared endgame content? your point IMHO is valid UNTIL the game has been released for 2 months or so, once the economy starts to semi-balance out, and people are reaching end-game by the masses. and you know that with those toons you will have a decent amount of gold, so if you make a new toon you could P2W off that toon right? because my lvl 80 guy has 40k gold or 20k or even 2k, and i instantly trade it to my lvl 1 guy, and i buy what???? xp scrolls? the best gear lvl 1 stuff i can get? i'm just confused, because your point in my eyes would be entirely valid and i would agree with you 100% IF you show me WHAT items are P2W< i'm not trying to prove you wrong, or troll or flame, i'm just trying to clarify, cause i would rather NOT spend $60 on a game that i HAVE to keep sinking my money into in order to compete. You can call me blind, or a troll, or worse, but only if you show me what exactly is P2W. I'll even admit it

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

Originally posted by Wolvards

Do all you people hating on the cash-shop or box price have a job? and if you do, do you enjoy getting payed from doing that work you do? i know i do, thats why i support ANet with the cash shop, they are people too, just cause they are devs doesnt make them rich. What is PAY2WIN about it? OK you can buy gems to trade for gold, k so now you have 5k more gold than you did 5 minutes ago, now what do you buy with that 5k gold that makes you have an advantage over me that has been playing for a month and i have neared endgame content? your point IMHO is valid UNTIL the game has been released for 2 months or so, once the economy starts to semi-balance out, and people are reaching end-game by the masses. and you know that with those toons you will have a decent amount of gold, so if you make a new toon you could P2W off that toon right? because my lvl 80 guy has 40k gold or 20k or even 2k, and i instantly trade it to my lvl 1 guy, and i buy what???? xp scrolls? the best gear lvl 1 stuff i can get? i'm just confused, because your point in my eyes would be entirely valid and i would agree with you 100% IF you show me WHAT items are P2W< i'm not trying to prove you wrong, or troll or flame, i'm just trying to clarify, cause i would rather NOT spend $60 on a game that i HAVE to keep sinking my money into in order to compete. You can call me blind, or a troll, or worse, but only if you show me what exactly is P2W. I'll even admit it

Your thinking is what spawned my idea of having timed progression servers.  I don't know why more games don't do this sort of thing.  I would love to play this style of game because I am all about playing with everybody while they progress, not playing around with people who are arrogant at level cap while I am stuck at level one all alone.  Timed progression you wouldn't be able to really sell anything because after the server resets it's gone so why bother? 

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by Wolvards

Your thinking is what spawned my idea of having timed progression servers.  I don't know why more games don't do this sort of thing.  I would love to play this style of game because I am all about playing with everybody while they progress, not playing around with people who are arrogant at level cap while I am stuck at level one all alone.  Timed progression you wouldn't be able to really sell anything because after the server resets it's gone so why bother? 

O yeah i see your point, i just see so much hatred towards the cash shop cause it's pay2win, but i keep asking, what items cause it to be pay2win? if people research the game, the gear treadmill is non-existant, so its not that money doesnt buy armor, it's that money doesn't buy you BETTER armor. All it buys you is pretty armor, or more char slots, or mystic keys, that is the only thing i can see that "could" go wrong with the CS. if mystic keys are hard to get ingame, but there are many opportunities on mystic chests, then yeah maybe, but also what comes out of mystic chests? we know it won't be i-pwn-all breastplate of the lords. (if ANet holds up to their promises again) Do you atleast see my point?

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.