Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Realm of the Mad God: The Official RotMG Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We've been playing a lot of Realm of the Mad God, a fun game that might be flying under your radar. See why we think this one is worth your time to look into. Read on!

While beta began in January 2010, Realm of the Mad God was officially released June 30th, 2011 by Wild Shadow Studios. Calling itself a "Co-Op Fantasy MMO Shooter," the game has done an above-adequate job at classifying itself. Thrust into a world where death is uncommonly unforgiving, the Mad God, Oryx, has intended you to be food for his minions. You must cooperate with other players to battle his minions, defeat guardians, and eventually confront and defeat Oryx himself.  Offered through a self-titled website, Steam, and the Google Chrome Web Store, Realm of the Mad God is a top-down shooter, very reminiscent of bullet-hell type games where dodging incoming enemy fire is just as important as dealing out damage. But how does it work as an MMO?

Read more of Jason Turgman's Realm of the Mad God: The Official RotMG Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KizzattaKizzatta Member Posts: 59

RotMG is awesome and I wish more MMOs with this style of graphics would come out.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

It's a fun little game for when you have a bit of time to kill. Aside from that, it's nothing I could really see getting into long term, particularly because the characters feel so disposable due to perma death.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

oook that was definately interesting. Lots of chicken shooting and it lives up to it's name, mad! But in a strange way that was kind of fun! No idea what/where the co-op bit is and I'd never pay any money for ingame gold but the retro style definately brought back memories :D

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• romerokromerok Member Posts: 104

Realm of the mad dog?

Might want to update the front page? 

Looks like fun though!

"You resist. You cling to your life as if it actually matters. You will learn."

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

It's fun to mess around with once and a while with a group of people.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Meh, the graphics really turn me off. I'm all for great gameplay, but there's a limit to what I can take graphic wise... and I guess this game crosses that limit :P

• DragonfishDragonfish Member Posts: 12

Aesthetics 9/10 - Are you insane? Even if you think the retro style is cool, there is no way this should get a 9. That is better than you gave Star Trek Online! Do you really think they are even in the same league?

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Dragonfish

Aesthetics 9/10 - Are you insane? Even if you think the retro style is cool, there is no way this should get a 9. That is better than you gave Star Trek Online! Do you really think they are even in the same league?

It's perfectily warranted score lol. I thought we left the idea of representative art way back in the late 19th century lol.

Art-direction wise, RotMG wipes the floor with STO just like Picasso wiped the floor with the vast majority of figurative hack artists of his day.

The theme of the game is perfectly conveyed by its art style. It's like saying that Tetris's would be better if done in DX11 with a gazillion of polygons in hyper-realistic style (lol). No, it wouldn't.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

It's perfectily warranted score lol. I thought we left the idea of representative art way back in the late 19th century lol.

Art-direction wise, RotMG wipes the floor with STO just like Picasso wiped the floor with the vast majority of figurative hack artists of his day.

The theme of the game is perfectly conveyed by its art style. It's like saying that Tetris's would be better if done in DX11 with a gazillion of polygons in hyper-realistic style (lol). No, it wouldn't.

SO much truth there!!! image

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

This game is damn addictive!!

great fun, thanks for a great review Jason!

:p 
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

its a solid gem. The review were fair as well. well done mmorpg

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152

I was having fun with it till tab popped up in the middle of a boss fight.  the whole business of clicking the mouse on a browser window is problematic

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

This game is a must try for every mmo lover out there!

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

A bunch of us played the hell out of this game when it first came to Steam.  So many shrieks and crying in vent made it halrious when someones character got snuffed out.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

Lag wasn't really a problem before it went on steam ... it got a HUGE influx of players when it did.

It also started the phenomenon of xp trains :)

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Interesting, but LAGGED to hell and back making it un-fun to play.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by MarlonB

Lag wasn't really a problem before it went on steam ... it got a HUGE influx of players when it did.

It also started the phenomenon of xp trains :)

Because XP trains never existed in other games.  Never did city of heroes have sewer xp trains...........

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Completely agree!

• TenebrionTenebrion Member Posts: 179

This.

Content Writer for RTSGuru.com
    And overall bitter old man.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Decent score for a decent and good value game. Worth a try by anyone. Permadeath for this small games is "Permafect"

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107

This game what i play when im downloading or patching something up i really dont see how people literally sink so much time into it lol

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Good review captures the essece of the game (which is pretty straightforward tbh). 

The problem (as highlighted) is the lag spikes. Randomly dieing to lag spikes with a permadeath system is simply game breaking. Of course it dosent matter too much with a character you only have a few hours invested in but there is a sort of 'end game' that involved farming for gear and stat potions. Also if you are modestly geared a half a second spike can get you killed.

Of course it is not a game to be taken too seriously and loosing a character due to your own cock up is half the fun. Still when it is taken from you randomly it smarts a bit, and makes it rather pointless. Still I had a lot of fun playing with my son this week.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

The game is actually pretty good at killing spurts of free time. Try it out!

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• PyreSpiritPyreSpirit Member Posts: 58

It's a fun enough game overall, but which is absolutely ruined by its looting system. Any fun the game may have is just shredded by the terrible item drop system.

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297

Cons   Guilds or lack thereof Lag Loot scavenging

The game has guilds, there are still alot of features being implemented.

Lag, definately sometimes.

Loot scavenging? Doesnt all rpgs have this? Picking up items that drop from monsters? If you mean "oh man i gotta pick up this item in the middle of all these monsters" then thats suppose to add to the danger factor of, "oh shit i might die if i try and get this" but even then its not a con, its about risk/reward.