Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Have a Fall Back MMO?

Do any of you have an MMO that you fall back to when you get bored of all the other games you play?  I'm finding that the MMO I always come back to is LOTRO.

Seems to me this is one of the best things about F2P games, you can always come back to them without a commitment.

Comments

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

I haven't played an MMO for awhile now. I'm not counting the beta weekend for SWTOR. Still play GW1 sometimes but that isn't really an MMO. Just real life and Skyrim sometimes. Rather wait for something that I really enjoy.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

I think I've played seven or eight different characters through one of the storylines of GW. Considering doing it again.

It's nice to know you can have an experience that feels fresh with a new character without having to play forever or feel like your character's story is "incomplete."

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

i have three actually that i return to whenever i am not subbed to anything or dedicated to a new game. They are STO, LOTRO, and WoW. (i have alot of time left in WoW unfortunately but i have alot of friends there and i'm on an RP server.)

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Nope! Tens years and nothing of quality has come out. I just train harder and play Pathfinder.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I also have 3 that I fall back on when I get bored with some of hte newer MMOs.....I will play EQ, DAoC, or Anarchy Online and work on characters I have in those 3 games......I find I can play a month or two before I am ready to try something new again.

• SoopamanSoopaman Member Posts: 65

I dont have any fall back MMO to play. MMO are like ex girlfirends. There is a reason why we are not together.

The Gaming Community Can Kiss My Arse

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Nope.

I've been working on my own old school NES rpg a lot lately.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by theblurch

Do any of you have an MMO that you fall back to when you get bored of all the other games you play?  I'm finding that the MMO I always come back to is LOTRO.

Seems to me this is one of the best things about F2P games, you can always come back to them without a commitment.

CoX was my fallback mmorpg but that got destroyed by the MA.

Now I have no backup mmorpg.  Currently playing WoT.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Eve online mostly.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

With so many old pay games going pay trap no one should be short on fall back MMOs.

Conan, LoTRo, Champions, DCU, City of Heroes, EQ2, AO...hell even a few that were made to

be F2P like Vindictus and Runes of Magic are really fun if you join a guild.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Yes, Lineage 2 + EVE.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Real life is better than old mmos

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Guild Wars has been my fall back for years.  Now that I don't have to screw around with activating a subscription anymore, I've also been spending time in CoX again.

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

I don't really have a fall back MMO.  We played World of Warcraft for about 6 years.  Haven't played it in about a year.  I guess that could be a fall back, but there are other MMORPGs that are stacking up that we'd like to try.  Lord of the Rings, Rift, Everquest, and now Guild Wars 2 is coming out.  I don't think we'll ever need to fall back on an MMORPG.

• AchylAchyl Member Posts: 29

I've constanly gone back to Dekaron (or 2moons, depending how you know it) and S4

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Mine is DDO.   It is absurdly fun and is mostly solo questing, so you don´t feel like you ditch friends when you quit again.   When wow is near the end of a content cycle, I will play DDO.  When WOW has fresh content, I just shelf DDO for awhile.

Surprisingly, I joined DDO mainly because it was free and I figured that it would be a good place to waste a few hours a week.  I have ended up spending a bunch of money on adventure packs though just because I enjoy the game so much.

I used to try new games when WOW was between content.. but man,  there was nothing like spending $50 on AOC to teach me that most MMOs are garbage these days.  Better off trying a free one and maybe spending money if you like it rather than buying a box of a crappy game.

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

My fallbacks are Shaiya and Guild Wars.  I like no commitment where I can play whenever I want.  :-)

Eventually GW2 will be added to this list.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Kuro1n

Yes, Lineage 2 + EVE.

L2 is one that I keep forgetting to download.  Thanks for the reminder.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

Not anymore.  Mainly go back to PS3 games now.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Not anymore. Skyrim is good for now. I've been saving it since it came out and I'm having so much fun  with it right now. I may go back and do Morrowind with the graphics extender after that.

I may go back and give LOTRO another shot, since it's free, if I miss playing online with others enough. Sometimes I do.

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122

Fallback MMO...

One of these:

Ragnarok Online

Gunbound

Luminary Online

I think the most possible would be Ragnarok online

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Anarchy Online and Ryzom.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Every 3 years or so I try UO out to see why I had such a hard-on for it in the first place...

...but every 9 months or so, I go back to Wurm Online and make a kickass settlement, then get tired of maintenance and let it rot, and then come back in another 9 months. I'd play it indefinitely if I had buddies that didn't beg me to come back and then get bored with it long before I do.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    I am playing vanguard saga of heros, but when i dont i play DAOC,Anarchy online,EQ2, Ryzom.
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Ultima Online. I still play a version of T2A when I can't really find myself interested in new MMO's or RPG's.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)