Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petition: Remove ALL Best of the year Game from EVE and publicity

124»

Comments

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

The best thing? The "victim" didn't even got bullied, he didn't even knew about the whole affair until someone actually did a quick "interview" with him days later. He doesn't give a damn.

And yet all those internet white-knights on holy crusade to save the innocent....First class entertainment. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Ezhae

The best thing? The "victim" didn't even got bullied, he didn't even knew about the whole affair until someone actually did a quick "interview" with him days later. He doesn't give a damn.

And yet all those internet white-knights on holy crusade to save the innocent....First class entertainment. 

The white knights (also known as pot stirrers) charge in from all sides, because it makes good message board drama, of course.

Standard operations.  's nearly all message boards are used for these days.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

I voted the option "I am stupid!"

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by stragen001

Dude, 

He was drunk and rambling. When he recovered from his hangover and got off the plane he read what he actually said and apologised profusely. Also, it was billed as an unregulated unmoderated forum so CCP shouldnt be held responsible.

Moral of the story: Dont do press events when drunk

Also, someone should check on that suicidal dude. 

Good Moral !   someone should share this with Santorum and some of the other candidates ... but I don't think its alchohol they are on.

</thread derail>

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by MustaphaMond

Originally posted by fundayz

I don't get how this is even causing controvesy.

A player harrassed another at an official event, said player got a 30-day ban and resigned his community possition, end of story.

Not only that but CCP is making changes to future events/panels so this doesn't happen again.

Much ado about nothing.

Are you serious? You really don't get why this is a huge deal? Just pick up any newspaper, turn on the news, listen to the radio even and you will hear something about "cyber bullying".... students rallying against it, mothers upset about it, mothers doing it and getting thrown in jail, states and countries passing laws about it, etc.

Games do not exist in a bubble and until some of you wake up and realize that you have to think about what you say in a public forum, stuff like this will feed the media frenzy that's already in full swing. This whole thing is about perception and about how public sentiment is hardening against anything that even remotely comes close to what happened here.

It might seem all well and innocent to you, but we are a few more events like this away from hardcore laws and regulations on online gaming/"massively multiplayer" interaction of ALL sorts. It will just take some person to kill themselves over something like this for all kinds of governments and pencil-pushers to get involved in the process. This is a BIG FUCKING DEAL and those of you who try to just ignore it away are missing the bigger picture. Some of us can still remember the religious backlash against D&D and nonsense like that... Online gaming (and interaction in general) is being threatened in the same way with all the news reports about teenagers killing themselves over facebook bullying and the like. Therefore, the kind of crap that The Mittani/Alex Gianturco did has simply got to stop, as funny and harmless as some of you think it is.

There is a big ass tidal wave bearing down on the internet right now. We've seen it with all of these laws (US and elsewhere) related to "cyber terrorism" and, now more and more often, "cyber bullying"... People need to start growing up and realizing this isn't just a FFA where you can spit in everyone's eyes and laugh about it without consequences. The beauty about online anonymity (and MMO's in general) is that they allow us a certain freedom, we can literally become another persona in some cases, but the other side of that awesomeness is the danger of losing it all because people don't know how to keep the game world and the real world separate.

If people are so weak and feeble that they feel bullyied its all because the parents, gov't, teachers and well basically the newer generations are at blame. Man up. Get some thicker skin. Fight back. Stop wearing skirts.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Originally posted by Yizle

If people are so weak and feeble that they feel bullyied its all because the parents, gov't, teachers and well basically the newer generations are at blame. Man up. Get some thicker skin. Fight back. Stop wearing skirts.

You don't get Eve...   Mittens messed up big time while in the spotlight. It's a legit concern about what he said and needed to be dealt with.

With that said:

There's a shit-ton of meta gaming going on as well to get Mittens taken out of the spotlight that he loved so much. It's a tactic that goons have used all to many times over the years. The meta-gaming is a interresting dynamic of Eve. Just look at the headlines that come about all to often.  Have you seen Mittenz twitter?  For such a tough guy he sure is crying a whole hell of a lot.

Goons are in full force screaming foul about Mittens, bears are loving every minute of it.  BoB's downfall was kicked off by a set of similar events.  Not the same situation but a huge event being the catalyst to kick off the wars to come.  That's not saying it will happen again but it's interresting times from an ingame perspective.  You got bears making fun of the self proclaimed tough guys and the self proclaimed tough guys crying like little girls on the forums.

Look at the Eve-O forums general discussion to get an idea.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by JayBirdz

Originally posted by Yizle

You don't get Eve...   Mittens messed up big time while in the spotlight. It's a legit concern about what he said and needed to be dealt with.

With that said:

There's a shit-ton of meta gaming going on as well to get Mittens taken out of the spotlight that he loved so much. It's a tactic that goons have used all to many times over the years. The meta-gaming is a interresting dynamic of Eve. Just look at the headlines that come about all to often.  Have you seen Mittenz twitter?  For such a tough guy he sure is crying a whole hell of a lot.

Goons are in full force screaming foul about Mittens, bears are loving every minute of it.  BoB's downfall was kicked off by a set of similar events.  Not the same situation but a huge event being the catalyst to kick off the wars to come.  That's not saying it will happen again but it's interresting times from an ingame perspective.  You got bears making fun of the self proclaimed tough guys and the self proclaimed tough guys crying like little girls on the forums.

Look at the Eve-O forums general discussion to get an idea.

No I get Eve as I still play it. I am talking about the whiny stuff I first replied to.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

OP, are you f*cking mental?! You want to ban all support for CCP just because of the actions of one indepentant player while drunk?! I'd rather have YOU banned from this forum permanently for being such an immoral sh*t disturber!

Seriously, go away!

Where's the any key?

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by Calfis

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

If the OP had said "Should Goonsquad be removed fromt the game and its members collectively shot into outer space on a shuttle with a defective oxygen supply?", I would have voted yes.

How would one fit 8,000 fatties on a shuttle?

You put up a sign that reads "lonely blind woman and jager inside" and then stand back and watch it happen.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

I don't get how this is even causing controvesy.

A player harrassed another at an official event, said player got a 30-day ban and resigned his community possition, end of story.

Not only that but CCP is making changes to future events/panels so this doesn't happen again.

Much ado about nothing.

Are you serious? You really don't get why this is a huge deal? Just pick up any newspaper, turn on the news, listen to the radio even and you will hear something about "cyber bullying".... students rallying against it, mothers upset about it, mothers doing it and getting thrown in jail, states and countries passing laws about it, etc.

Games do not exist in a bubble and until some of you wake up and realize that you have to think about what you say in a public forum, stuff like this will feed the media frenzy that's already in full swing. This whole thing is about perception and about how public sentiment is hardening against anything that even remotely comes close to what happened here.

It might seem all well and innocent to you, but we are a few more events like this away from hardcore laws and regulations on online gaming/"massively multiplayer" interaction of ALL sorts. It will just take some person to kill themselves over something like this for all kinds of governments and pencil-pushers to get involved in the process. This is a BIG FUCKING DEAL and those of you who try to just ignore it away are missing the bigger picture. Some of us can still remember the religious backlash against D&D and nonsense like that... Online gaming (and interaction in general) is being threatened in the same way with all the news reports about teenagers killing themselves over facebook bullying and the like. Therefore, the kind of crap that The Mittani/Alex Gianturco did has simply got to stop, as funny and harmless as some of you think it is.

There is a big ass tidal wave bearing down on the internet right now. We've seen it with all of these laws (US and elsewhere) related to "cyber terrorism" and, now more and more often, "cyber bullying"... People need to start growing up and realizing this isn't just a FFA where you can spit in everyone's eyes and laugh about it without consequences. The beauty about online anonymity (and MMO's in general) is that they allow us a certain freedom, we can literally become another persona in some cases, but the other side of that awesomeness is the danger of losing it all because people don't know how to keep the game world and the real world separate.

Yes, it is much like all those trials... Against Slayer, Judas Priest, whatever band, that  some silly person or organisation tried to stop. Because... they killed my child, their lyrics are evil, etc.

Shure "Cyberbullying" is a strong word, but not stronger than what you(us) makes it.

Shure, events like this comes in the laps of the people wanting what you are afraid, but only if people (just like you) let's them. And after reading your post all I can say that is exactly what you did there.

You don't want these "hardcore laws" then you have to start to... heh, get your feet on the ground see things for what they really are and this is nothing else but something stupid some guy did.

To follow up with my previuos post.

I know this may be seen as a hijack but my purpose is not to talk about music or music group.

"Subliminal message trial

In the summer of 1990, the band was involved in a civil action that alleged they were responsible for the self-inflicted gunshot wounds in 1985 of 20-year-old James Vance and 18-year-old Raymond Belknap in Sparks, Nevada, USA.[15] On 23 December 1985, Vance and Belknap, after hours of drinking beer, smoking marijuana and allegedly listening to Judas Priest, went to a playground at a church in Sparks with a 12-gauge shotgun to end their lives. Belknap was the first to place the shotgun under his chin. He died instantly after pulling the trigger. Vance then shot himself but survived, suffering severe facial injuries.[5]

The men's parents and their legal team alleged that a subliminal message of "do it" had been included in the Judas Priest song "Better By You, Better Than Me" from the Stained Class album (actually a cover of a Spooky Tooth number). They alleged the command in the song triggered the suicide attempt.[15] "

In this video there is obvious a reason for Rob Halford to explain that he inhales when singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKFJisceOw

----------

In this video slayer asks (heh) people in audiance to kill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SvN8cQSCnKs#t=219s

This is what Swedish newspaper reported after a concert in Sweden during that time/tour. (No, that particiular concert is not recorded in Sweden.)

But that is two example of people ignorance or just the belief of other peoples ignorance.

Don't be as stupid yourself.  It was something stupid to say, and he recieved a ban, but ffs don't contribute by making crap gamingmedia attentionwhoring a succes.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Orphes

To follow up with my previuos post.
    I know this may be seen as a hijack but my purpose is not to talk about music or music group.
    "Subliminal message trial
    In the summer of 1990, the band was involved in a civil action that alleged they were responsible for the self-inflicted gunshot wounds in 1985 of 20-year-old James Vance and 18-year-old Raymond Belknap in Sparks, Nevada, USA.[15] On 23 December 1985, Vance and Belknap, after hours of drinking beer, smoking marijuana and allegedly listening to Judas Priest, went to a playground at a church in Sparks with a 12-gauge shotgun to end their lives. Belknap was the first to place the shotgun under his chin. He died instantly after pulling the trigger. Vance then shot himself but survived, suffering severe facial injuries.[5]
    The men's parents and their legal team alleged that a subliminal message of "do it" had been included in the Judas Priest song "Better By You, Better Than Me" from the Stained Class album (actually a cover of a Spooky Tooth number). They alleged the command in the song triggered the suicide attempt.[15] "
    In this video there is obvious a reason for Rob Halford to explain that he inhales when singing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKFJisceOw
    ----------
    In this video slayer asks (heh) people in audiance to kill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SvN8cQSCnKs#t=219s
    This is what Swedish newspaper reported after a concert in Sweden during that time/tour. (No, that particiular concert is not recorded in Sweden.)

But that is two example of people ignorance or just the belief of other peoples ignorance.

Don't be as stupid yourself.  It was something stupid to say, and he recieved a ban, but ffs don't contribute by making crap gamingmedia attentionwhoring a succes.

Rofl, you are the one who has dragged this thread back onto the front page. The difference here is that this act was targeted at a named individual, that is just wrong period, the game is the game, if you are so delusional as to mix that up with RL then there is little hope. The punishment was deserved, the guy was lucky to to kop a perma ban and should move on as should you.
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

So...

You want to punish a service provider for the actions of one of their users?

That sounds A LOT like SOPA to me...

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by RefMinor

Rofl, you are the one who has dragged this thread back onto the front page. The difference here is that this act was targeted at a named individual, that is just wrong period, the game is the game, if you are so delusional as to mix that up with RL then there is little hope. The punishment was deserved, the guy was lucky to to kop a perma ban and should move on as should you.

Your english are way better then mine.

But what was your point?

I am wrong that this got way over proportion?

I am wrong saying that gamingmedia is crap (because of their reporting done of this)?

I am wrong saying that we really should not get stuck up on things like this?

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

But what was your point?

I am wrong saying that gamingmedia is crap (because of their reporting done of this)?

This was not out of proportion, the player spokesman for a major game used a public platform to call for the harassment of a player whom he could not be sure had suicidal tendencies or not with the express aim of driving him to his death. That is unjustifiable and is also news, there was a lot of uproar for several days until CCP sacked him from the remainder of CSM 6 and CSM7 because he did not HTFU enough to resign.

Now the punishment has occurred there is no fuss anymore unless people bring up old threads like this and try and defend what happened. When that happens normal people who understand harassing the mentally ill into death is not a good thing post posts like this one explaining why you are wrong. I imagine several more will join me to express disgust at the Mittani's actions and so the story continues because YOU could not drop it.

But what was your point?

This was not out of proportion, the player spokesman for a major game used a public platform to call for the harassment of a player whom he could not be sure had suicidal tendencies or not with the express aim of driving him to his death. That is unjustifiable and is also news, there was a lot of uproar for several days until CCP sacked him from the remainder of CSM 6 and CSM7 because he did not HTFU enough to resign.

Now the punishment has occurred there is no fuss anymore unless people bring up old threads like this and try and defend what happened. When that happens normal people who understand harassing the mentally ill into death is not a good thing post posts like this one explaining why you are wrong. I imagine several more will join me to express disgust at the Mittani's actions and so the story continues because YOU could not drop it.

You are replying aswell, so do not call foul when someone else does.

How old is this thread, how old was it when I first replied in it?

This thread... no it was about the proportion of things and (still) the crappy wannabe journalists. (If you are one of those I sincerely hope it offends you, either to quit writing or get better at what you do.) We do not need those to do us bad favours all it does is go the way that the person I first cited fears was.

A pretty good example of that crappy writing this so called journalists do is exactly what you did when you implied I have defended...

• White_TreeWhite_Tree Member Posts: 13

But eve owns???

• drarakkusdrarakkus Member Posts: 97

OP = moron

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , at the end of the day , who cares?  Honestly , look around the world what the military is doing, should we ban all law enforcements? Should we ban all cops?   You'll always have idiots trying to get their 15 seconds of fame.  Those who are offended by "cyberbullying" are the idiots , if typed words gets a way on affecting your mind and your lifestyle , then you shouldn't even be on the internet nor have a computer for that matter.  When I play a game and someone flips me off , I just laugh and they get more angry and I just laugh more to their stupidity that they are crying over something with no meaning what so ever ,whic is playing a video game.