Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness: Ready When it's Done

Comments

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Honestly i'll try any new sandbox from CCp closed eyes.

• KappadonnaKappadonna Member UncommonPosts: 119

This is the only MMO that I have any real faith or excitement in - even with it being years and years away. 

We need more open-world, sandbox, games that focus on things other than just straight combat. From my understanding, this game will have a large social aspect to it and will be rely on character customization heavily (something missing from today's game world). This will immidiately open up large roleplay elements - and whether you roleplay or not, any game world that allows for good roleplay is always better overall because of it. 

There are so few MMOs out there these days that allow for decent roleplay. UO was one of the better MMOs - possibly with Champions Online behind it from my experiences. UO was more akin due to the open-world/sandbox elements and character freedom while Champions was due to the robust character creation system and friendly atmosphere. 

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Wycliffe

Originally posted by RefMinor

I am going to apply to goonswarm when it goes live

Another mark unable to google their recruitment process and waiting to be scammed.

So... what I gather from that video is this game is many a years away. After they reduced staff last year this was a given, but such a barebones preview now we know to what extent.

When you can interact with other people using WiS feature in EVE that'll but a very good sign, but for right now EVE FiS and DUST 514 are where the majority of manpower are going to I imagine. Once DUST launches I can still development on this picking up again.

Something awful forum, post a lot for months etc, or know someone, I did it already, if you mail me $10 I can get you in too.

I already have blue standings with the swarm and didn't have to pay $10 for SA membership. While I'm sure some goons will try out WoD like they do literally everything that is released, I doubt that GSF directors are going to urge their membership to migrate enmass to a game that espouses everything that didn't like about Incarna.

If you mail me the 10$ I will get you into GSF without all the SA forum waiting, just pm me.
  • GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

WHOA!!!!
    How did this game slip in under my radar?
    Nice.

So now there is this one,
    The Repopulation
    Dominus
    and one other that shall not be mentioned

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Ahh cool, another tech demo with no actual gameplay.  Ready when it's done = maybe sometime in 2015?  More waiting I guess.  I hope it's worth the wait.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

As I understand things perma-death will have certain caveats, such as it being required for a Prince to call a blood-feud, Prince's will have territorial control so I imagine that the Prince can only call for a blood-feud in his own area.

I'm really looking forward to this title, I'm not tremendously well-versed in the WoD backstories having only played the Vampire: The Masquerade & Bloodlines PC games, but I really enjoyed both of those & the depth of the lore to them. (Despite Bloodlines having released with a game-breaker bug that meant once patched you were forced to start from scratch again).

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Although I will likely start out as a vampire, assuming this game has excellent features at release, I am definitely excited to play as a mage in the future!

The graphics of the cities look amazing too!  London, Paris, NYC, my favorite cities out there!  I hope they have true ratio to the actual cities and the same layouts!

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Of the games I'm not already playing, far and away I'm am looking forward the most to WoD.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be even remotely close to a release, but I'll definitely be picking it up when it's available.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by lifesbrink

Although I will likely start out as a vampire, assuming this game has excellent features at release, I am definitely excited to play as a mage in the future!

The graphics of the cities look amazing too!  London, Paris, NYC, my favorite cities out there!  I hope they have true ratio to the actual cities and the same layouts!

They looked into that but thought that real city layouts turned out to be very dull. I guess you would get small concentrations of interest and swathes of suburbia.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

"Ready when done" is starting to seem more like "WE HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA".

that is not too bad.... they will get the idea and apply it to the game and then release the game 100% complete. Unlike other recent games (mmos and non mmos) released unfinished due do having no idea like you said lol

• SonshouSonshou Member UncommonPosts: 18

Originally posted by Skuz

As I understand things perma-death will have certain caveats, such as it being required for a Prince to call a blood-feud, Prince's will have territorial control so I imagine that the Prince can only call for a blood-feud in his own area.

I'm really looking forward to this title, I'm not tremendously well-versed in the WoD backstories having only played the Vampire: The Masquerade & Bloodlines PC games, but I really enjoyed both of those & the depth of the lore to them. (Despite Bloodlines having released with a game-breaker bug that meant once patched you were forced to start from scratch again).

Yes, a Prince has control over a city, CCP is planning to create different cities but all in one server, so they will be connected. The Prince of New York just rules over that city and not in London, where it could exist a different Prince (another player). But in the vampire society (at least in World Of Darkness / Vampire: The Masquerade) that not means every vampire will obey that Prince, that's one of the interesting things in this RPG, "the politics".

Griefers would have bad moments in this game, because vampires will have masquerade points and humanity points, commiting certain acts will cause to lose those points then a "Blood Hunt" could be called and a "Blood Hunt" means "Final Death" (permadeath) if other vampires catch you. It's likely that some will happily participate not only to hunt and kill the prey but even after knowing the reasons behind it. Now how a Prince will have control over that in this MMO, it's still unclear.

BTW, in Bloodlines I used to save my sessions then copying the files in a different part of my hard disk and when I played a new version, my saved games worked there.

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107

Hate to say it but the mainstream WoW kids should stop expecting stuff from this game because this game they are aiming at the fans and the people who have played and immersed themselves in the vampire lore fro white wolf so if your expecting uber loots and epic raids think the kids should drop off now.

• bowzef1990bowzef1990 Member Posts: 56

WOrld of Darkness LMAO!!!

what hell is up with the name trying Copy Same as WoW? lmao lame nameing could just called if Realm of Darkness or something

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

i won´t get in this hype train so early....

we won´t see the game in at least 4-5 years min....

• SonshouSonshou Member UncommonPosts: 18

Originally posted by bowzef1990

what hell is up with the name trying Copy Same as WoW? lmao lame nameing could just called if Realm of Darkness or something

Obviously, you know nothing, World Of Darkness Pen and Paper game was created in 1991. And that's the source material for this MMO.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Yeah the entire setting of which vampires the masquerade, mages, werewolves, the fallen, and changlings rpg games took place in was called the World of darkness. Also there was cross over rules that allowed for the dfferent sub-settings rules to function alongside each others if players wanted to play somethign other then a vampire or such. If i remeer the world of darkness setting had two or three actual layers to it that the characters existed in, with spirit/ghosts existing in a realm near oblivition, while many of the others existed in a form of astral or etheral realm, and the rest in the material realm. That does not even take into account how the world of darkness setting has existed since pretty close to when D&D was created, and so you could say wow got the idea of using world in the title from WoD instead.

I will be enjoying using my Fiend character their entire way of looking at things, and their flash crafting ability is very fun to use for creating a unique looking character. With Perma-death in the game so long as having it happen is not somethign easily done, and they use the topor system for when you take too much damage/punisment, it should be okay. In the setting the means of destroying a vampire was not as defined or easy to do really, with vampires even being able to withstand sunlight for quite awhile. In the setting also the vampires were really the medium strength group of the many you had, so starting with them to be a good measuring stick for the other groups is nto a bad idea. To me starting with the weakest or strongest group would just skew the results of the power of each other group, as you would need to re-adjust the power f any group that was either too weak or strong comparitively. I would not mind having a character that would be living in any era between gothic victorian to modern eras, though going back to  the first or second city settings would be interesting.

Originally posted by Sonshou

Obviously, you know nothing, World Of Darkness Pen and Paper game was created in 1991. And that's the source material for this MMO.

Then why the hell did they let World of Warcraft get away with copying their name, it's lame naming, could have just called it Area of Warcraft or something
  • WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

I am going to apply to goonswarm when it goes live

Another mark unable to google their recruitment process and waiting to be scammed.

So... what I gather from that video is this game is many a years away. After they reduced staff last year this was a given, but such a barebones preview now we know to what extent.

When you can interact with other people using WiS feature in EVE that'll but a very good sign, but for right now EVE FiS and DUST 514 are where the majority of manpower are going to I imagine. Once DUST launches I can still development on this picking up again.

Something awful forum, post a lot for months etc, or know someone, I did it already, if you mail me $10 I can get you in too.

I already have blue standings with the swarm and didn't have to pay $10 for SA membership. While I'm sure some goons will try out WoD like they do literally everything that is released, I doubt that GSF directors are going to urge their membership to migrate enmass to a game that espouses everything that didn't like about Incarna.

If you mail me the 10$ I will get you into GSF without all the SA forum waiting, just pm me.

If you mail me $10 I won't tell them about all your bad posting.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

i'm fine with ready when its done but at this point i am tired of getting teased don't bother us again for a few months till you have some real details ccp. I feel like i am reading fluff and filler and i feel bad for the writters that have to come up with a page or so of info out of what is basically a sentance or two so 1 or 2 peices of info i mean come on thats basically the same thing as nothing. Just go away and come back when you can anounce major structure details about the game cause this is starting to bug me

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

I see lots of VTM and VTR and I'm lost. At the risk of sounding completely stupid (too late!) how does one go about getting a back story for this without playing the table top game? I'm not unwilling to play the table top game but I think I would be playing it alone. If this isn't likely to be out for years then that's time to learn a bit and understand what's going on at least in some way. Any suggestions?

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

One thing CCP does not do and that is rush things. They make sure its correct before release. We say WiS back in 2006 and only see a small part of that in 2011 under some very heavy criticsim from the player base.

They are making their own engine to run the WoD MMO unlike many other companies that use Gamebryo or the Hero Engine like BioWare has done. CCP's engine has been battle tested in Eve Online for a long time and is the only one that allows cloth to simulate world objects and hair to fall over the shoulders in real time. Youtube vid for http://youtu.be/kmOW4eICmT0 

So if we can expect to see this type of thing in a MMO I can wait :D

Also their game is going to be single shard like Eve Online so you can interact with about 40k people all at the sametime much like Eve Online. And one thing that CCP will get right is the pvp mechanics, because they know thats what will drive this game as an open sandbox.

At first they will concentrate on Vampires only and get them working correctly then add in the other supernaturals of the WoD world. They can't say how it works or what they are actualy doing with game mechanics yet or else other developer houses will steal those ideas.

My prediction is WoD will be a niche game, but a damn good one. I live in hope that other companies will see it once its released and get them looking at new ideas instead of trying to copy WoW.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by dimasok

They really haven't built anything since 2011 or the merger: its a barren town with dark, foreboding motives. Nothing else. If we see it 2018 we'll be lucky...

It took CCP years to make a single room for EVE onlines walking in stations, if the performance of the engine they used for that is anything to go by it will take years to stick more than a single character in that room.

To expect CCP to make an entire game using that technology is beyond optimistic. Unless Dust is profitable enough for them to really invest in the game we wont see a WoD for at least 5-6 years.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

Originally posted by Melangel

I see lots of VTM and VTR and I'm lost. At the risk of sounding completely stupid (too late!) how does one go about getting a back story for this without playing the table top game? I'm not unwilling to play the table top game but I think I would be playing it alone. If this isn't likely to be out for years then that's time to learn a bit and understand what's going on at least in some way. Any suggestions?

A decent/enjoyable introduction might be to play Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/ ).

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

A decent/enjoyable introduction might be to play Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/ ).

Thanks I'll give it a try. I have vista not xp etc but sometimes these things work anyway. We'll see!

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

2014:( We need some good sandbox now:/