Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 Things that an mmo MUST have for you to play it long term, and 3 things that it MUST NOT have.

Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Simple really,

What are 3 things that an mmorpg game HAS to have in order for you to consider playing it LONG TERM. 

What are 3 things that will automatically make you not play an mmo LONG TERM?

For me:

3 Things an mmorpg has to have

1. Flashy visuals / animations

2. Great music

3. A huge emphasis on group / party content. 

3 things that will automatically make me not play an mmo LONG TERM

1. Item mall / Cash shop

2. Mostly solo game play

3. Very outdated visuals. 

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

3 Things that will probably make me play an mmo LONG TERM

1. Viable non-combat paths of progression

2. Player-owned structures or shops

3. Regular new additions (example: Asheron's Call)

1. Levels

2. Strictly combat progression

3. Raiding 'endgame'

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BMoorBMoor Member Posts: 202

1. Great music - I've found that games that have hooked me for more than a year all had great music such that I am willing to listen to them offline.  Game wins extra points for me if the music represents something unique in the game such that just listening to a particular song brings back some good memories.

2. Large, diverse world that is accessible - By this I mean various environments from urban to desert to snow.  The environment should be pretty but that is not an absolte requirement.

3. Storyline(s) - Preferably many subplots in addition to the main storyline.  Storyline(s) should update or be created over time via updates/expansions.  Finding out the story of each NPC such as shopkeepers and watchign them progress is fun for me.

1. Subscription - The cost adds up long term regardless of how little one plays.  B2P is good.  Even F2P is fine.

2. Aggravating community - It is worst than having no community if the existing players go out of their way to annoy you.

3. Poor human interface - If my hands hurt due to poor controls or the interface is clunky, then the game gets dropped.  Should follow Apple's example in crafting a good interface.

Coming from a time when I had great fun playing MUDs (purely text), flashy visuals and animation are not important to me since one gets used to it easily.

Cash shop / item mall is fine for me but I would prefer that cosmetic items are permanent rather than temporary.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Nevermind the long term, if a game has bad controls it probably isn't going to be played in the short term.  FFXI immediately gave me a terrible experience and I quit faster than any other MMORPG I had tried.

Even trying to return to ATITD periodically, the #1 thing that prevents me from starting a subscription in that game is the asinine control scheme.  It's just unnecessarily obtuse to do  things which are simple in other games.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

3 things that automatically make me join the game (short and long term)

- good graphics

- in depth lore

- smooth movement and combat mechanics

3 things that will automatically make me ignore a game forever (or until that is changed)

- no WASD movement

- clunky movements and combat mechanics

- bad graphics

NOTE:   in my opinion good graphics dont mean being realistic and bad graphics dont mean anime, cell shaded, or any kind of cartoony visuals. Any high quality art style taht  works very smooth and well developed then its good graphics.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Good things it must have.

1. Story, its a roleplaying game set in a world. If the reason you are there is stupid, why do ANYTHING there at all?

2. Gameplay variety. I dont want to quest all day. I dont want to raid all day. I dont want to PvP all day. it takes more than these three things to keep me playing because it will grow old fast.

3. Class difficutly. You can take TERAs classes with 8 skills and &#$* it, and if I can faceroll and win...&%$# it! Will someone with balls please do a remake of Asherons Call...the game with over 1000 spells and a character system that allowed you to make a total gimp. There was NOTHING like being a war mage that could wield a sword...cause it seems MMO makers have never read The Lord of the Rings before and only read a few bits and bobs about Dungeons and Dragons.

Bad things that will keep me away.

1. Piss poor crafting system.

2. Time = reward system that forces you to put in 500 hours for a set of gear so you can go do an instance for 500 hours for another set of gear so you can put in 500 hours doing endgame...for gear.

3. A legacy system that will allow me to marry my Sith Warrior to my Twi'lek Bounty Hunter and have them give birth to a human Agent so my Jedi character can kick someone in the nads or allow my non force wielding Smuggler to force choke someone!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

My list:

Must have:

1. Non-linear progression

2. Meaningful and varied crafting/player driven economy

3. Player owned & built cities/stores

Can not have:

1. Instanced world

2. Battle-ground type PvP

3. Level based advancement

Just my 2 cents...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

it's pretty simple or maybe it's too complicated I can't explain it better, Idunno. But W/E

Just give me more reasons to log in every day than reasons not to log in.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by kakasaki

My list:

Must have:

Non-linear pregression

Meaningful and varied crafting/player driven economy

Player owned & built cities/stores

Can not have:

Instanced world

Battle-ground type PvP

Level based advancement

Just my 2 cents...

Make that 4c
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by kakasaki

My list:

Must have:

1. Non-linear pregression

2. Meaningful and varied crafting/player driven economy

3. Player owned & built cities/stores

Can not have:

1. Instanced world

2. Battle-ground type PvP

3. Level based advancement

Just my 2 cents...

Make that 4c

Make it 6c

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Calintz333

Simple really,

What are 3 things that an mmorpg game HAS to have in order for you to consider playing it LONG TERM. 

For me:

2. Great music

I realize this is your opinion but your 1 and 2 has no effect on long term viability for the majority. Visuals and music are all about the short term. Those things are great for pulling players in but not for player retention. AoC is a perefect example of that. I still think that is the most beautiful game on the market but yet look where its at.

When playing an mmo there comes a point where visiuals and music becomes secondary and gives way to content and gameplay. So that leads to my top 3 things needed

1) Plethora of content: By this I mean viarity, different types of content, not just the same old redundant t1,t2,t3 raids.

2) engaging gameplay: take away the hotbar spamming button mashing. Make the players work together in combat to acheive maximum results.

3) Challeneging content: No easy mode, no handouts.

Three things that kill long term viability:

1) Easy mode: If everything is easy people get "stuff" faster than devs can churn out content to keep players interested.

2) boring brainless repitive end-game t1,t2,t3 etc.

3) Fast leveling: This getting to cap in less than a month kills the game. I remember when getting to cap felt like a monumental accomplishment. It felt like you just climbed mount evrest, just to get to the top to realize you have an even bigger mountian to climb with the end-game.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

3 Must Have's

1. Varied and interesting gameplay - A game that allows me to do things other than kill, kill, kill is a game I usually will spend more time playing. That said, the quality/fun factor is crucial to this point, as the act of performing the game's activities needs to feel rewarding and intuitive while providing a healthy challenge and complications that require brain power to overcome.

2. A rich game world with compelling content - A game that has a world that is unique and mysterious, yet inviting and immersive allows me to care far more about my character and the things he encounters. Furthermore, a game world that isn't copied/pasted and contains truly unique dungeons, quests, settlements, etc. adds much depth to the gameplay.

3. A robust character development system - A game that allows me to create and play the character I envision to my exact specifications is one I rever. I can spend hours, days, just creating character builds. This ties directly to point #1, as a character needs to be more than just a killer. Non-combat skills are a big one here.

3 Must NOT Have's

1. Bad controls - Self-explanatory.

2. Lack of polish - Again, pretty obvious. If the game contains several bugs or if it crashes atleast once a day, then I find it impossible to continue playing.

3. Lack of/lackluster gameplay options - This is where most themepark games fail. If they all derive into a loot grind or a quest grind, I quickly lose interest and turn to something else. There are a few exceptions, where gameplay is extremely captivating and varied, allowing for player skill to really emerge, and the grind isn't felt at all.

• KhetnenKhetnen Member Posts: 16

Should have: many updates, good crafting, fun PvP, good story, player-owned housing or other structures, missions/quests/dungeons that are unique, and good rewards from those missions/quests/dungeons

Should not have: too much grind / repetitive gameplay  (many MMOs are trying to get away from this), too many random quests with no real story, and quests that are just "kill 10 random creature"

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

3 Things an mmorpg has that will keep me playing (and paying) long term:

1. Engaging story or lore

2. Player-owned structures

3. Open, accessible (non-gated), diverse world

* Bonus points for great music, the ability to play either solo or grouped, non-linear progression

3 things that will automatically make me not play an mmo:

1. Open world PK, ganking and griefing

2. No endgame except PvP

3. Pure grinding

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

1. Various systems of progression

2. Great music

3. Dynamic Content to make alt play non tedious 

1. Outdated or horrible controls

2. Lobby type gameworld, i.e. Vindictus, Guild Wars 1

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Hai faiv axe! Bad controls made me quit ff11 in less than 30 minutes!

But for me must haves are :
    Community tools and built towards making community better.

Umm... Decent freedom/ lots of things to do that arent renderd pointless by something else.

Focus on fun rather than progression

Must not have :
    Cash shop that make normal gameplay obsolete.

Bad user interface. Eve was bearable but ff11 just made me cringe.

Focus on gear more than gameplay

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

[X] Other:  fun.  It's the only thing that matters.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Musts Haves:

1. Interesting Story and/or world. This is the big killer for me, most MMO's have extremely generic worlds.

2. Interesting Classes or skill system that really have a place in the world. Little to no classes just there so you can say you have it, needs lore to back up its existence in world.

3. Variety of things to do like Leveling, Raids, Dungeons, Battleground PVP, Arena PVP, World PVP, Crafting, Minigames, something beyond that would be great.

Must NOT have:

1. Large amount of bugs.

2. Free for all loot with no alternative option.

3. Too Fast or too slow leveling/skilling up. I'll give exception to a game that really gives a legitimate reason for this...which is none so far.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• BarachielBarachiel Member UncommonPosts: 10

Must Have

1.  Engaging Questing Storyline.  I can deal with grindy quests, as long as the story threads keep me interested.  (Successful Examples:  LotRO, WoW, TOR)

2.  Expansive Character/Player Home Customization.  You'd be surprised how long I've stuck with a game just to get my house looking just right, and to get that perfect Appeance set.  ... I'm straight, durnit.  (SWG, EQ2, WoW patch 4.2)

3.   Grouping System.  I don't mean a cross-sever LFG tool necessarily, but there have to be tools in place to make partying up less of a nightmare, liking summoning stones and what-have-you.  FFXI and TOR, I'm looking hard at you.    

Must Not Have

1.  Forced "Always On" Open-World PVP.  I will never roll on a PvP server.  EVER.  "Hell is other people," given form.  If I want ot PvP, I'll queue up for BGs, or go to an Open-Zone (Winterspring, Ilum).  Worst Sinners:  Ultima Online (early days), Warhammer Online.

2.  Forced Grouping.  Sorry, i want to be able to do my thing, get in and get out, not spend hours hunting up a group, just to get something done.  I'm looking at you Final Fantasy XI.  (Also, special mention goes to the complete ass-backward grouping system, combined with the overtuned Story Quests of TOR).  

3.  Harsh Death Penalties.  I have zero desire to lose gear and/or levels because I got hit with a lag spike or an internet outage and by the teim I'm back, the MOB has eaten my face.  Nevermind all the deaths one dies just from having bad luck with respawn timers.  This is a deal breaker for me.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Have

1. Fun easy to play game

2. Easily obtained items in game

3. Straight forward quests

Not have

1. Grinding

2. Fetch quests

3. Require a party to play

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Calintz333

Simple really,

For me:

2. Great music

1. Item mall / Cash shop

2. Mostly solo game play

Looks like we disagree on most every aspect of MMO's lol.

1. Exploration as a core gameplay option

2. Great production quality

3. Interesting and fun classes to play

1. Asian styled animations, graphics and lore.

2. Small world with no sense of exploration (I.e. Rift)

3. Hand holding, On-Rails, Bread-Crumbing, or themepark kiddie world.  I.e. Any game that offers as the only way to level following a set path with no deviation and boring static grindy fed-ex style kill tasks.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

3 things an MMORPG must have:

1. Friendly community. I hate communities full of elitists, trolls, etc. For me, friendly people can make the experience of even a mediocre MMO so much better. 

2. A good, solid engine. SWTOR was a fun game, but the limitations of the engine were incredibly apparent. Performance did not match the quality of the visuals at all.

3. Meaningful advancemet at endgame other than raiding. I shouldn't have to join a raiding guild to advance my character once I hit max level. And no, I don't just mean equipment. EQ's alternate advancement is a good example, as is Rift's planar attunement.

3 things an MMORPG must NOT have:

1. Sub and cash shop. Sorry, but this is double dipping, and I won't support a company which indulges in such behavior. It's somewhat forgivable if they only offer cosmetic items which can be obtained in game through other means, but I still don't like it.

2. Apathetic GMs. I hate it when I petition someone who is clearly violating the TOS, yet the GMs don't so jack squat to enforce their own rules. WoW is a HUGE offender of this, as is EVE Online (not even referring to the recent fiasco, BTW).

3. FFA PvP. I love sandbox games, but I don't want PvP forced on me. I generally don't like it, and want nothing to do with it. Not to mention the fact that most FFA PvP games cater to gankers and griefers, not true PvPers who want a fair, challenging fight.

• LoopbackLoopback Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Rednecksith

1. Friendly community. I hate communities full of elitists, trolls, etc. For me, friendly people can make the experience of even a mediocre MMO so much better. 

2. A good, solid engine. SWTOR was a fun game, but the limitations of the engine were incredibly apparent. Performance did not match the quality of the visuals at all.

3. Meaningful advancemet at endgame other than raiding. I shouldn't have to join a raiding guild to advance my character once I hit max level. And no, I don't just mean equipment. EQ's alternate advancement is a good example, as is Rift's planar attunement.

1. Sub and cash shop. Sorry, but this is double dipping, and I won't support a company which indulges in such behavior. It's somewhat forgivable if they only offer cosmetic items which can be obtained in game through other means, but I still don't like it.

2. Apathetic GMs. I hate it when I petition someone who is clearly violating the TOS, yet the GMs don't so jack squat to enforce their own rules. WoW is a HUGE offender of this, as is EVE Online (not even referring to the recent fiasco, BTW).

3. FFA PvP. I love sandbox games, but I don't want PvP forced on me. I generally don't like it, and want nothing to do with it. Not to mention the fact that most FFA PvP games cater to gankers and griefers, not true PvPers who want a fair, challenging fight.

As opposed to the fact that all PVE is just gank X amount of such and such? At least a player can fight back intelligently or run away and bring friends if they have any next time. Whether player or AI, ganking is ganking.

Anyhow...

1. An immersive sandbox type world that grants me my own path through the game, whether it be grinding boars for the NPC that for some odd reason needs EVERYONE to grind boars for him 24/7, exploring on my own and finding places off the beaten path that are only going to be found by exploring, crafting, or any other way that allows me to make my own decisions and write my own story into the game.

2. Lots of customization. Not necessarily character creation stuff, but that's always nice too. But to see everyone at end game running around like little clones is retarded. Dyes, engraving, different shapes for the same weapon depending on builder or country of origin... Seriously, even cave men had more than 1 type of spear tip.

3. A community that works together, even if only from time to time. Forced grouping shouldn't be a factor, but there should be no way a FoTM class should be able to solo the whole game and max out in a week. Any game that you can solo to endgame even in the first 3 months needs to be shelved and redeveloped IMO.

1. Every single thing instanced. If there's 50 other people on the server, there should be a chance of running into them lol. I understand the whiners that hate contested mobs, but instead of fixing it by giving them a free pass in an instance, ADD MORE CONTENT THAT THEY COULD GO LOOK FOR WHILE THEY WAIT. 1 item or mob shouldn't be the focus of half the population.

2. Cash shops. If you're F2P, then fine, you need to make money somehow, so no problems there unless you're offering items that give an advantage directly in game that you're unable to get by playing the game. If you're subscription based, you're an utter fail if you have a cash shop too. We bought your box, we paid for our time, if you can dream it up, develop it, and make us want it, then put it in the game. Not OUR fault you're not creative enough to develop new content to work it into. Now if you're one of the F2P WITH subscription setups... Well... your froobs shouldn't be able to really benefit by this at all. Appearance items, character slots, inventory slots... even xp potions are cool. But all that you're selling to them should be available to the subs for no extra charge at all,plus there should be a lot of things that are sub only. I know the argument that froobs tend to spend a lot of money in cash shops, and while this may be true, they're also not guaranteed to spend money on your product at all so don't deserve anything special.

3. GIANT WEAPONS/particle effect explosions for every single stupid action/anything else that makes combat look like a down's syndrome disco party.

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122

2. Great music

3. Easy to learn gameplay

3 things that will automatically make me not play an mmo 

1. Item mall / Cash shop

2. Too much PK/KS

3. Poor maintenance in both game issues and community

• kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93

The top 3 things for me that is a must in an mmorpg for a long term play.

1. Indept character/armor customization/development. This is duo the fact that is boring (if your in it for the long run) to see like 10-15  look alikes of you each and every day.

2. Great visuals. When your spending maby 2-3 hours a day(or more), its kinda great to lay your eyes on a beautiful crafted world, where at some points you will even stand still just to take alook around and admire the environment.

3. Sadbox gameworld. When your playing an mmorpg, you should have a big world to play around in. Theres nothing more irritating than have to walk a linear path through out your experience.

Top 3 things that makes me stay away from an mmorpg.

1. Gender/W classes locked games!

2. Instance based games!

3.An mmorpg with bad visuals and cluncky/choopy animations..

[tho all my nengative things point to lazy developers who are to lazy to bother create a decent game,and just sticks with some of the simpler paths]

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

To Have:

1. A Journey

2. Content

3. Customizable UI

Not Have:

1. Cash shop which gives player advantage.

2. The ability to allow players to use 3rd party programmes.

3. Invisible walls giving the impression the world is bigger than it really is.