Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Fishing & Survival Skills Coming in 1.8

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Rift blog has been updated with the news that two new non-combat oriented skills are coming with v1.8. Both Fishing and Survival skills will be added with the next major game update goes live.

As Ascended you lead thrilling, immortal lives full of combat and adventure, but sometimes, you just want to get away from it all. You want to immerse yourself in the wonder of this unique, plane-touched world, search for hidden treasures, and seek calm from the din of war. Now, Telara’s defenders can heed the call of nature and trek out into the great outdoors with two all-new, bonus trade skills: Fishing and Survival.

Read the full blog post on the Rift site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Solid game, but boring world, imo.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

strange,link says article not found for me.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

article not found on link.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

wtb archeage

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

At long last. This thing was made for passing time.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I love how Fishing has been butt-shoved into some kind of "MMORPG Standard Feature" when in reality its one of the most boring past-times anyone can partake in.

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

*Opens Water Rift*

*Starts fishing*

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• micaelmoraismicaelmorais Member Posts: 88

did they already fixed the broken pvp????

just asking because i dont play the game for more than 4 months after pve armors start have a huge advantage and dodge/hit start getting out of control...

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I love how Fishing has been butt-shoved into some kind of "MMORPG Standard Feature" when in reality its one of the most boring past-times anyone can partake in.

you forgot to add "IMO"

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Fishing if well implemented can be fun, in WoW it was really cool, in LOTRO it wasn't. You can explore to find the most impossible places to fish in, you can fish up lots of cool things (even pets!), you can RP and chat with someone you just met fishing in the most dangerous place (the surrealistic feeling of such encounters are what made mmorpgs cool before you guys were all jaded and came whining in forums). In Rift, Fishing will pair up with Survival to cook things that give you buffs. It's a non-combat activity that gives you a reason to "live" and travel randomely in the virtual world and not only streamlining duties/activities with predefined patterns.

I like Trion, they offer great value for a cheap sub without a store on top as other mmo scoundrels are universally doing nowadays, they started with a solid polished game without hype (hello SWTOR, how ya doing?) and fleshed it out *horizontally* as well as *vertically*. I'm enjoying Rift and I have respect for Trion.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by MyPreciousss

Fishing if well implemented can be fun, in WoW it was really cool, in LOTRO it wasn't. You can explore to find the most impossible places to fish in, you can fish up lots of cool things (even pets!), you can RP and chat with someone you just met fishing in the most dangerous place (the surrealistic feeling of such encounters are what made mmorpgs cool before you guys were all jaded and came whining in forums). In Rift, Fishing will pair up with Survival to cook things that give you buffs. It's a non-combat activity that gives you a reason to "live" and travel randomely in the virtual world and not only streamlining duties/activities with predefined patterns.

I like Trion, they offer great value for a cheap sub without a store on top as other mmo scoundrels are universally doing nowadays, they started with a solid polished game without hype (hello SWTOR, how ya doing?) and fleshed it out *horizontally* as well as *vertically*. I'm enjoying Rift and I have respect for Trion.

It's those that MinMax combat that MinMax worlds leaving cities instances and nothing in between. I used to like finding a lake or nice stretch of river and fishing for a while in SWG, it's nice to slow down and take it in.
  • KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Make fishing like a gems or tetris game, like in Free Realms (Say what you will about  the kiddiness of the game but the crafting and gatherijng is fun). Combat is interactive, crafting is a dull and boring click and afk process. Please please make fishing more the former.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Pyuk

Solid game, but boring world, imo.

thats the key line for me too.

• Eleanor41Eleanor41 Member Posts: 5

I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

one opinion among millions, you forget that mmos are made to waste time, and the majority of all mmo gamers are casuals get over it.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

mmos aren't just for dungeon running (as opposed to dungeon crawling there is a difference) they are made to pass time, to have fun, and the more choices you have the more fun you can have in these games. I joined Rift a year after launch and i found that it was missing a few things. Glad to see they are looking into adding them.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

more reatures in an already impressive game (though i find the monster models a bit unimspired) and i truly believe trion is proving themselves to be a real real top tier developer.

people should not complain about an extra lil fun thing in their game.  if you dont want to fish trust me, there will e plenty who do and you can get your fish from them :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins