Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BHS Introduces Premium Item Cash Shop for K-TERA

AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

BHS introduces the premium item cash shop for K-TERA. For now it seems it is only cosmetic items such as the dorky but cute glasses and the Nightmare Warhorse. Prices vary depending on equip duration. English threads can be found here:

https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=51970

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/KTera-introduces-Premium-Item-Shop?page=1

Source can be found here:

http://tera.hangame.com/news/notice.nhn?bbsid=942&docid=4595652

http://tera.hangame.com/shop/indexItem.nhn

It seems they buy the items with T-Cat coins.

ThunderCats HO!

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

I really hope EME doesn't input this or change it a bit. To me time limited cash shop is always in bad direction. Perm vanity only i'm fine with but anything with time limit thats not exp boost is stupid to me. Time to start senting massive mail to EME....

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Curses. They try and pull that shit over here like they did with AION while it was still sub based, and I'm out and done with this game.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

This is just a cosmetic shop where you buy things that are for strictly cosmetic purposes, it's also Korea and I hope EME knows how much we dislike this stuff. ;)

Also it looks like the cosmetics you buy for a year do not get destroyed, note the "does not get destroyed even after 365 days".

The title of the thread was misleading, premium sounded like P2W lol.

I would also like to point out one thing, I don't like these shops even if they are cosmetic, BUT ITS THE PLAYERS FAULT. Yes, what company is not going to try to make money this way?

Blizzard released that new mount for a staggering $25 and what was the queue to buy it on the first day 70,000 people in line? They made millions off something as trivial as a mount, blame the players not the companies, because untimately they are the ones giving the incentive to implement it.

Once again, doesn't mean they will bring that to Europe/NA, it's already been out for a year and a few months in Korea anyways.

Edit@Ambrosia: I meant it was misleading towards myself, sorry for the mixup, if other people thought the title sounded like P2W or not I dont know.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

@NBlitz:

Considering that a good portion of BHS is made up of ex-NCSoft employees, I am not surprised they took this route since they did something similar in Aion. I would go a step further and say I wouldn't be surprised if games like Blade & Soul (NCSoft) follows a similar route in the future.

@Pivotelite:

Do you have any factual evidence to say that the title is misleading? Did anyone say P2W? The service as it is for the moment are for cosmetic purposes, but services implemented in a game may "evolve" with time, this is not unheard of. People that want these items must pay a premium: cost of that option, if they want to obtain it.

The translation of the title is: [Guide] TERA premium items released.

Ah you used the phrase "sounded like" which I guess equates to misleading.

Of course.

I would not be surprised at all if eventually it makes it way over here. You go on and say it's the players fault... but then right after you say "what company is not going to make money this way." Companies have the last say if they want to implement something or not to make more money on trivial things. So I don't see how it's the players fault at all.

For something like this to get implemented it has to go through several steps, deciding on what goes in the cash shop (on top of being a P2P model) and then have it coded and tested in the game and eventually finalized for commercial release as an "added" service. So it has to go through numerous steps. I don't see in any of the steps the players are twisting the company's arm.

So how exactly is it the players fault when the company is the one releasing it? They could simply not choose to do so, especially for a P2P model. Now if it's for the money, then the company is the one at "fault." They have a choice of whether to implement a cash shop in a P2P MMORPG. If they don't have a choice, then is it anyone's fault?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

As long as it stays cosmetic...

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by Sovrath

As long as it stays cosmetic...

This and I would be surprised if any game released here on out does not have some sort of vanity cash shop.  Unless a game is F2P or has an extremly low, but dedicated, population I wouldn't expect to see P2W items.  It leads to an enevitable "bottom out" and I would imagine most big name companies know this.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

You can accumulate T-Coins based on the number of months you sub to the game right?

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Hmm i guess we 'should just get used to it'. Sub and item shop on top of it.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Originally posted by Ankur

Hmm i guess we 'should just get used to it'. Sub and item shop on top of it.

You do have a point there. I don't know any p2p games other than SWTOR, that does not support some sort of item shop.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

I wouldn't even want vanity, its no  CS in P2P, hence why I pay a monthly fee so I don't have to see this pita all over again.

but then I remember the player base in MMO and, main reason MMORPG's are garbage and we don't get a really new thing is not greed, is stupidity, too many stupid players

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Another attempt to bleed money from their small niche of a fanbase. Make you pay and sub and add a cash shop, wow, why even bother with P2Ps anymore?

Originally posted by Sector13

Another attempt to bleed money from their small niche of a fanbase. Make you pay and sub and add a cash shop, wow, why even bother with P2Ps anymore?

Because the purchases aren't required?

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Just imagine that the guy with that super-fancy armor didn't get it from a CS, but from some raid.

A raid that  takes 10 hours to complete. And you need 74 people to do it. And you fight just one guy the whole time. He has 10 gigazillion hp. And you have a debuff on you that allows you to do only 1dam hits. And there are rocks falling from the ceiling at random locations that will insta-gib you if you stand still for more 5 seconds, so no afk and putting a rock on your "1" key.

There. Do you still care?

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

REally small niche fanbase? Can I borrow that crystal ball you are getting your "facts" from?

Originally posted by Nevulus

REally small niche fanbase? Can I borrow that crystal ball you are getting your "facts" from?

It's called reality, you should look into it.

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

They aren't required in F2Ps either but people still complain about them ... or is TERA different just because it's the game you happen to like atm?

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

This really doesn't bother me. EME hasn't told us this is coming yet. If they do go for an item shop and they keep it to vanity items then I have no problem with it. Really not a big deal until they start offering things that affect the power balance in game.

They aren't required in F2Ps either but people still complain about them ... or is TERA different just because it's the game you happen to like atm?

Come now Sector, you knew what I was refering to.  In case you didn't here is a short explaination:

P2W, otherwise known as "Play to Win", is a term used when an MMO's items shop contains items that give a tactical advantage to the buyer over players that choose not to buy them.

Items from a shop that do not fit this description are refered to as "Vanity Items".  These can be special looking mounts, weapons and armor that are for looks and other items of a "visual only" nature.

"Required" has to do with being at a disadvantage if you don't purchase P2W items, that's why people complain about them though they should expect it from a F2P title.  If an MMO with a sub model does it they will never get my business.  I don't think any company is stupid enough to try considering it's harder to release a sub game and any bad publicity can be disasterous.

• sirachsirach Member UncommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

Just imagine that the guy with that super-fancy armor didn't get it from a CS, but from some raid.

A raid that  takes 10 hours to complete. And you need 74 people to do it. And you fight just one guy the whole time. He has 10 gigazillion hp. And you have a debuff on you that allows you to do only 1dam hits. And there are rocks falling from the ceiling at random locations that will insta-gib you if you stand still for more 5 seconds, so no afk and putting a rock on your "1" key.

There. Do you still care?

I don't know why, but I found this funny. :)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

cash shop for NA is not far away. They have to make sure to have everything settled in case the sub model dont work as intended.

They should anyways and hopefully will for release. If people want to spend extra money on vanity items I'm cool with that. I won't buy them but hopefully EME/BHS puts the money to good use.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

One reason is because at the end of the day, its always about the money. It makes sense that a company would want to make money one way or another (P2P w/ CS  or B2P w/ CS), not many buisnesses / companies do things for the hell of it or for their amusement (free / fun).

...Not one, no matter how much you may look up to them...

As long as the cash-shop for TERA  remains cosmetic, then I don't have a problem with it (Especially for that mount, sexy!). It's ultimately up to the individual player, whether they use the CS or not...If you got the money, more power to you.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

So far, EME has simply said "Beyond typical stuff like character transfers and name changes, we haven't even decided, we're more worried about just releasing the game". And  there MAY be some truth to that. This is a PR issue they likely don't want to deal with at this time at all.

Don't like it, though. I don't draw a line between "Cosmetic" and anything else. It's content, plain and simple. And for every PvP keener, there's a clothes-horse who places equal value on appearances. I purchased a box, and I'll be paying a subscription for this game. One of the reasons was for the very impressive visuals that have been repeatedly advertised and promoted.

I REALLY don't want to be told that some of that is being held back, in lieu of even more money.

Edit: My other concern is more long-term, the stuff that typically shows up in these add-on cash shops is usually stuff that SHOULD have been sold for a boat-load of in-game money, effectively nerfing a potential gold-sink aimed specfically at people with excess money.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by NBlitz

Curses. They try and pull that shit over here like they did with AION while it was still sub based, and I'm out and done with this game.

Why should it matter to you if they put one in? It is just cosmetic stuff to change your look. No different than paying extra for some barbie doll clothing. Cosmetic stuff is fine with me. That is all Aion did was release skins and that is fine. Maybe some people want to buy those skins then sell them on the auction hall for gold? Maybe someone who wants this stuff but not want to spend RL money will buy from someone who put it up on the broker. Either way nothing is wrong with that and it is not going to hinder your game.

Now if they went the way of Age of Conan where you can buy PVP gear that would be a big no no. No one is forcing you to buy any vanity/cosmetic gear but do understand that gaming is a hobby. There are people out there who don't mind spending more money on thier character to achieve a certain look. People spend money on hobbies that is just how it is. Go ahead and cancel your game then it is a stupid reason to because EME wants to make some money on the side with cosmetic items. But guess what?! That money is going to help fund even further content and development.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

No one is forcing you to buy items from the cash shop  you know. It is not going to hinder your game in any way. I really do not understand why people complain about cash shops especially vanity/cosmetic ones. If you owned a company and had a way to make some extra cash wouldn't you do that? Obviously there is a market for it. Some people do not mind spending extra money on this sort of thing.