Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wondering if I could get this looked over. Wanting to order soon.

ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

I think I am about ready to order toay or tomorrow. I was wondering if I could get this looked over to make sure everything is compatible and that I'm not missing anything, or picking something "bad".

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2

GIGABYTE GA-P67X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz+CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SSD

SAPPHIRE 21197-00-40G Radeon HD 7970 3GB

Windows 7 Home Premium

I'm good to go with monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Z

EDIT: Wasn't sure if I should have started a new thread or not. But I figured I would have since I'm pretty much set on something similar to this build and I'm looking to order soon.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

There's no optical drive and no hard drive.  If 120 GB is plenty of capacity for you, then you don't need a hard drive.  It's tough to install Windows from a DVD if you don't have an optical drive, though if you're pulling one out of an old machine, that's fine.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Aside from Quiz's comments-

The build looks fine. Everything should work fine together.

120G SSD, you can basically count 40G off the top for Windows, swap file, cache space, and a bit of free space to breath. They format to around 115-110G (depending on model). And the difference between that will be what you have available for games, music, programs, videos, etc.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

The GTX680 is better and cheaper.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by Quizzical

There's no optical drive and no hard drive.  If 120 GB is plenty of capacity for you, then you don't need a hard drive.  It's tough to install Windows from a DVD if you don't have an optical drive, though if you're pulling one out of an old machine, that's fine.

Ah yeah I forgot the Optical drive. So I'll just grab whatever seems cheap. They all seem to be around $17.

I forgot to mention I have a 500GB WD Caviar Black HDD that I use for storage. I ended up giving my Crucial M4 60GB that normally runs my OS to someone else because 60GB wasn't working out for me.

Originally posted by Barbarbar

It's out of stock. At least on Newegg.

Benchmarks seem about the same, with some games on the 7970 running slightly better, and some games on the GTX 680 running slightly better.

Also, powertune sounds a bit more appealing to me than GPU Boost. 

Originally posted by Zolgar

And everywhere else.  And possibly for a while.  And it might not still be cheaper once it comes back in stock, as e-tailers tend to raise prices on items that they can't keep in stock.

I don't think this will be as bad as the Radeon HD 5850 and 5870 that sold out pretty quickly after launching, and weren't steadily in stock until more than two months later.  But we don't really know, and a lot depends on how willing you are to wait.

It's really a question of when Nvidia was confident enough that they wouldn't need a respin that they were comfortable with ordering a zillion wafers made.  They got burned with GF100 when they ordered a zillion wafers too soon that ended up being nearly useless.  And I suppose also of whether and/or how much TSMC's rumored stopping of 28 nm production interfered with GK104 wafer production.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

If you want one bad enough, they have been available multiple times every day in brief allocations since release.  However, they've been selling out within a min or two, so you have to be ready to go and hope you click the purchase button and complete the transaction before someone else.

Instead of camping multiple websites, you can use this handy tracker instead, when its available just click the link of said brand/etailer you prefer and be taken directly to that GPUs page and begin the checkout process.  Still gotta be quick though, there are a lot of people are using this.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find dust filters for 230mm fans (case doesn't come with any). I found a 140mm filter on Newegg for $12 but I'm not seeing any above that size.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find dust filters for 230mm fans (case doesn't come with any). I found a 140mm filter on Newegg for $12 but I'm not seeing any above that size.

For the whole case (HAF 932):  http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_463_500_514&products_id=26221

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

If you want dust filters, then it's easier to just get a case that comes with dust filters.

• CaponestyleCaponestyle Member UncommonPosts: 112

Your missing RAM and your CPU cooler is not compatible . jus sayin

Originally posted by Caponestyle

RAM comes in comboniation with the CPU.

Is the cooler really not compatible? That's a bummer. 

EDIT 2: Wait. It says it fits LGA 1155. Why isn't it compatible?

EDIT: @Quizzical

You know, that's what I'm thinking of is just getting a case with them. Any full towers you can personally reccomend?

no any good case does not come with a PSU  just get this instead . its only 10 bucks more with mail in rebate and its 10x Better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103089

no any good case does not come with a PSU  just get this instead . its only 10 bucks more with mail in rebate and its 10x Better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103089

No idea what you're talking about with the PSU comment, as I'm getting a TX750 (that clearly doesn't come with the case). That heatsink looks spiffy and all, but is it really 10 times better than the one I linked?

me either , guess my brains asleep, the cooler you had listed supports 1156 not 1155, I could recommend a case sure. Do you ever plan on water cooling or you going to stick with air cooling?

RAM comes in comboniation with the CPU.

Is the cooler really not compatible? That's a bummer. 

EDIT 2: Wait. It says it fits LGA 1155. Why isn't it compatible?

EDIT: @Quizzical

You know, that's what I'm thinking of is just getting a case with them. Any full towers you can personally reccomend?

I'd question why you need a full tower case.  Are you planning on going CrossFire or SLI in the future?  Because it usually doesn't make sense to do that unless you're going to do it right when you buy the computer.

If you do want a full tower case, then the top case from a couple of lines that I know include dust filters are full towers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119245

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087

Nice cases, but I didn't look around too much, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a better deal elsewhere.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

If you are looking to save a bit this is a very decent case for more than 1/2 the price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

quit i didnt see memory on his list i didnt say it wasnt compatible with his memory ya donkey. His cooler is the wrong socket size

No idea what you're talking about with the PSU comment, as I'm getting a TX750 (that clearly doesn't come with the case). That heatsink looks spiffy and all, but is it really 10 times better than the one I linked?

I don't think it actually means anything for one CPU cooler to be "10 times better" than another.  The only real reason to get a cooler higher end than a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is if you're going for a very large overclock, of the sort that risks damaging the processor even if you could keep it exactly at room temperature at all times.  And if you're doing that, then you'd want a better motherboard that could properly handle a large overclock.

-----

"me either , guess my brains asleep, the cooler you had listed supports 1156 not 1155"

The motherboard mounting holes are the same for LGA 1156 as for LGA 1155.  If a CPU cooler supports one, then it also supports the other.

Regardless, it's not so much the heatsink itself that supports a processor socket as the brackets that come with it.  CPU cooler designers often include multiple brackets, and sometimes put extra holes on a given bracket, so that a single SKU can support several different processor sockets.

Look at all the pieces that come in the package for the heatsink in question.  If you buy that, then you'll have a bunch of parts sitting there, and just pick out which ones you need for the LGA 1155 socket and then not use the rest.  That's why they say it supports LGA 775, LGA 1155, LGA 1156, LGA 1366, Socket FM1, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket AM3, and Socket AM3+, even though those have different mounting holes and mechanisms.  There's a pretty good chance that it supports LGA 2011, too, but the page just hasn't been updated to say that yet.

quit i didnt see memory on his list i didnt say it wasnt compatible with his memory ya donkey. His cooler is the wrong socket size

Oh sorry.  I didn't properly parse what you said the first time.

Originally posted by Amjoco

If you are looking to save a bit this is a very decent case for more than 1/2 the price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

I'm not entirely sure that a Radeon HD 7970 would physically fit in that case.  It might or it might not, but either way, it would be close.

Hmm ok, well I have that exact same motherboard in my PC now, It does overclock quite well. which is what i was assuming you were going to since you chose a full size tower and an unlockable processor. so again a couple questions, are you going to run SLI or water cooling ever?

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

*edited out most everything*

You guys had about 1.5 pages of post in the time it took me to type my wall of text.

Mostly was just pointing out the Hyper 212+ came with the mounting brackets for pretty much every socket out there (I have one).

... nothing to see here...

Hmm ok, well I have that exact same motherboard in my PC now, It does overclock quite well. which is what i was assuming you were going to since you chose a full size tower and an unlockable processor. so again a couple questions, are you going to run SLI or water cooling ever?

Well not right away, but it's certainly been a thought. I imagine that eventually (however long eventually is) the prices of the 7970 will drop when newer stuff comes up, and I could always throw in a second one. And I will most likely be OCing the CPU as well. As far as liquid cooling goes, I'm still pretty nervous about that. I have friends who've never once had an issue, and I was told you could get things like fesser, which aren't conductive, but I'd still hate to have something happen with a liquid cooler.

Hmm then this is my suggestion You need a different MOBO because the second PCI express slot is 8x not 16 x , so not the best choice for sli, If you plan on overclocking and possibly going to liquid cooling but nervous about it get an enclosed liquid cooling solution, So heres my modifications,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225 HAF X CASE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131773 ASUS mobo supporting sli 16x x2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017 enclosed water cooling for CPU