Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness: Ready When it's Done

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During last week's CCP FanFest, the team was ready to unwrap a tiny corner of the World of Darkness, a game that many players are quite interested in. We've got the full report from FanFest so keep reading!

"Ready when it's done" announces World of Darkness executive producer Chris McDonough - is there honestly a more disappointing statement in the gaming industry? It leaves eager fans in a nether region of excitement and anticipation; cautiously optimistic of a short wait, while also trying to combat that nagging sense that there's another Duke Nukem Forever on the way.

Read more of Adam Tingle's World of Darkness: Ready when it's Done.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

To be honest we haven't seen or told anything about wod so the phrase when is done is not so painful.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Since this is being called WoD and not VtM im kinda hopeing to see more than just Vampires. it would be nice to be able to play a hunter, however to play them correctly you would need to be clever. simply put, a Hunter cannot go toe to toe with a vampire.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by LadyNoh

Since this is being called WoD and not VtM im kinda hopeing to see more than just Vampires. it would be nice to be able to play a hunter, however to play them correctly you would need to be clever. simply put, a Hunter cannot go toe to toe with a vampire.

They stated they are going to start out with Vampires first.  Then after they have perfected that group system, they would start to add in other groups.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

"Ready when done" is starting to seem more like "WE HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA".

• tadams2tonetadams2tone Member UncommonPosts: 59
    WORLD OF DARKNESS ONLINE WILL SAVE US ALL!
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Fair enough. I will need fresh blood to keep immortal for the final live release. I am still hot for the game. Keep on coding into the night CCP.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

I wonder how far they will expand vampires too. They had a couple of interesting concepts that only found niche sucess in the Tabletop/LARP arena like Kindred of the East and the African vampires. I wonder i they get worked in somehow when the game has been live for a good while.

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

They really haven't built anything since 2011 or the merger: its a barren town with dark, foreboding motives. Nothing else. If we see it 2018 we'll be lucky...

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

They should change this title to Vampires the Masquerade until we see some solid evidence that they will in fact give us the option to play ANY of the other factions. Hell they aren't even including the hunters, hello! hunters are universal.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I blame the EvE players, if they had all bought monocles like they were supposed to instead of rioting and meta gaming CCP, then WoD would have been ready much sooner.
    Originally posted by itgrowls

They should change this title to Vampires the Masquerade until we see some solid evidence that they will in fact give us the option to play ANY of the other factions. Hell they aren't even including the hunters, hello! hunters are universal.

That's how CCP do things, a layer at a time like they did with EvE and it's expansions. First is vampires, probably because they are the more iconic, then they will tidy it up and move on to the next layer.
  • EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

I've been looking for a game with sandbox/themepark elements without knights in shining armour and dwarves. Know nothing about this particular IP but it's NOT Twilight or Buffy so I'm game. Perma death? Never played a game before with perma death unless about every game before save feature/hardrive was implemented counts. I'm not afraid of perma death. Fashion, intrigue, dark and gritty with plenty of rp elements and politics. One to watch for sure!

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by itgrowls

That's how CCP do things, a layer at a time like they did with EvE and it's expansions. First is vampires, probably because they are the more iconic, then they will tidy it up and move on to the next layer.

I really hope so. I'm a long time fan and player of all the Whitewolf's games, even Trinity. It's a pretty big deal to me that they use the WoD name and they pick the lowest hanging fruit to start with. While they say they will add the other metas later, we have no idea if it will be as NPC mobs or as playable characters. I'll be patient with a dash of disappointment.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Originally posted by dimasok

They really haven't built anything since 2011 or the merger: its a barren town with dark, foreboding motives. Nothing else. If we see it 2018 we'll be lucky...

Not being on the dev team you cant really know what they have or have not done. The vast majority of development occurs on paper before it ever gets to a computer screen. At least thats how the good games are created. Assuming they had to pull back resources from WoD in order to focus back in on Eve and get that game back to where it needs to be - A lot of invisible paper design can still occur as only a small group of people tend to be responsible for that aspect no matter how big the final team ends up being.

In the long run better to have a good game that takes time to create than another quick flashy game that has no substance and lasts only a couple of months.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I wonder if everyone in the game will be forced to walk to uphold realistic atmosphere and shy away from the running/bunny hopping that is MMO worlds.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

this already looks dated. feel bad for CCP, couse i think theyre a great company- they should of just invested in WH dark mellinium.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I'm looking forward to seeing more about this IP.

• VolarinVolarin Member Posts: 38
    They should just make this a landable planet in Eve so Eve players can have an alt life as vampires.

• Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I wonder if everyone in the game will be forced to walk to uphold realistic atmosphere and shy away from the running/bunny hopping that is MMO worlds.

Given how CCP currently handles Eve I'd doubt it. They seem to enjoy a hands off approch rather then roleplaying standards, it does make for a unique atmosphere for their games. However I'm 99% sure if you could bunny hop, or tea-bag an enemy ship, players would do that all the time in eve with their community.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

My Child of Gaia is ready, oh wait WW will come later, so hrmm my probably Tzimisce or Venture or such is ready to go when the game comes out :P

• butznutzbutznutz Member UncommonPosts: 17

I really hope they make it more like Twilight.

Originally posted by butznutz

:( no offence really but I hope not image

I am going to apply to goonswarm when it goes live
    Originally posted by butznutz

I lolled, thanks

Originally posted by RefMinor

I am going to apply to goonswarm when it goes live

uh hu image