Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively isn't a real word.

Comments

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by professer

adapting is one thing

being fucking stupid is another

dont appeal to the lowest common denominator

So we should not appeal to you? Got it.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

adapting is one thing

excellent advice image

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Great advice, so we should all ignore you. i got it, can we get a lock?

Whats the saying, that if you can't tell who the most drunk person in the room is its yourself. i guess that same idea works on intellegence.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Just incase anyone forgot (which almost EVERYONE apperantly has), massively is not a real word. Go grab a dictionary, merriam webster preferably, it's not there. MMORPG has always been massive multiplayer online roleplaying game. Massively somehow became part of everyone's vocabulary oddly. And even if massively was a word, it would still be incorrect. The fake word "massively" would be an adverb, and there is no verb in MMORPG.

Taken from merriam-webster: Massive (adjective) - forming or consisting of a large mass

You can't just take an adjective, add -ly to the end, and create a new word. How can a verb be massive anyways? "The fat man's fat vibrated massively (read: vibrated consiting of a large mass) as he jumped up and down." Bad example, but you try finding a good one. There are none!

inb4 dicionary.com has an entry for it -- yeah taht's bs. Dicionary.com isn't credible at all and is highly unprofessional. Go look in any real, credible dicionary. 

and inb4 'your name is spelled wrong" no its not, there is no one proper way to spell a name, they can be spelled many ways, I spell mine like it is for a reason

I've been laughing at everyone all along who's been unaware of this.

Yes we knew that already and the frist MMOs where Massive Multiplayer not Massively.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

adapting is one thing

boo hoo, cry more, maybe someone will change your diaper soon so you can get over your tantrum.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Originally posted by stragen001

Just incase anyone forgot (which almost EVERYONE apperantly has), massively is not a real word. Go grab a dictionary, merriam webster preferably, it's not there. MMORPG has always been massive multiplayer online roleplaying game. Massively somehow became part of everyone's vocabulary oddly. And even if massively was a word, it would still be incorrect. The fake word "massively" would be an adverb, and there is no verb in MMORPG.

Taken from merriam-webster: Massive (adjective) - forming or consisting of a large mass

You can't just take an adjective, add -ly to the end, and create a new word. How can a verb be massive anyways? "The fat man's fat vibrated massively (read: vibrated consiting of a large mass) as he jumped up and down." Bad example, but you try finding a good one. There are none!

inb4 dicionary.com has an entry for it -- yeah taht's bs. Dicionary.com isn't credible at all and is highly unprofessional. Go look in any real, credible dicionary. 

and inb4 'your name is spelled wrong" no its not, there is no one proper way to spell a name, they can be spelled many ways, I spell mine like it is for a reason

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/massively

FAIL

way to hop in late and echo what everyone else has already tried to prove, which still is unresolved since it;s all based on a flawed adaptation of the english language

wake up! you're all brainwashed! the government is a lie dont fall for the illusions!

OK, lets try this again, from the Oxford English Dictionary, which is completely English and not American.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/massive?q=massively#massive__8

How many more times do you have to be proved wrong?

the pwnages has fried his mind, hes in full denial mode now.

• professerprofesser Member Posts: 102

keep trying harder

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by warmaster670

I don't expect anything from anyone. Just bringing awareness to something that thousands of people go by unaware of their error.

then you posted a link, claiming something wasnt there that was, keep making yourself look like a fool though.

I have never understood why people carry on clutching at straws when they are absolutely banged to rights. Sad, even a little pathetic but it's hard not to be amused as they squirm. Thanks for the laugh OP. What's next week installment? Online games don't exist?

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Sorry but we do add some stupid words to our language. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gaydar

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Allow me to be the first to offer professer my most sincere contrafibularities! I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused such pericombobulations

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by Xzen

Also back when I was playing UO none of us used "Massively". It was "Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game".

that's my point exactly, american english is dumb and makes changes to itself for all the dummies speaking it

Well the way the language works when words get made up and get used for a period of time they get added. Unfortunately the result is we get a lot of words that sound like they were made up by a 6 year old.

props for being straight up even when I'm being an ass

and to everyone else, keep trying I'll never stop going on

youll never wtop pwning yourself? thats good to know, since your lame america excuse has already been destroyed, guess youve got no excuses left now.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Just incase anyone forgot (which almost EVERYONE apperantly has), massively is not a real word.

Neither was "woot" 5 years ago. Give it time.

As for being an adverb, "massively" would be an adjetive. In the same respect as "slovenly"

Ending in "ly" doesn't automatically make every word an adverb.

Sorry but we do add some stupid words to our language. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gaydar

YES see what I mean?

And we hit page 10, I win. 10 pages of replies proving I won, 10 pages of replies of people who care and try so hard, 10 pages of idiots not realizing they're loosing 

win

/thread

edit: warmaster, you were my favourite looser. You gave me the most points out of everyone.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Whats the point? There is many words that are not words and used everyday by folks...

I'll add another since your are on a crusade to point out bad grammar

ummmm .... Muchly. That will be my addition to help you educate the masses.

See you in English class teach. 

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

keep trying harder

http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/newwords11.htm 

Some new words added in 2011.  I always find the words added each year to be a good summary of the changing times.  Adapt or die (i.e., be left behind).

1. Americana

2. boomerang child

3. bromance

4. continuous positive airway pressure

5. cougar

6. crowdsourcing

7. duathlon

8. fist bump

9. helicopter parent

10. m-commerce

11. parkour

12. robocall

13. social media

14. tweet

15. walk-off 

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Directed at the OP, "Professer."

There is another word used in this thread that isn't a real word.  Your name..."Professer."

It's spelled PROFESSOR.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professer

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

YES see what I mean?

And we hit page 10, I win. 10 pages of replies proving I won, 10 pages of replies of people who care and try so hard, 10 pages of idiots not realizing they're loosing 

win

/thread

edit: warmaster, you were my favourite looser. You gave me the most points out of everyone.

You're so fail you cant even spell loser? wow, if being a moron is the game, your certainley winning by a long shot.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

YES see what I mean?

win

/thread

Ha, gaydar is a great word.  My wife insists she has a sixth sense in this way...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

warmaster still doesnt get it. 

my business here is done

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by gainesvilleg

keep trying harder

http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/newwords11.htm 

Some new words added in 2011.  I always find the words added each year to be a good summary of the changing times.  Adapt or die (i.e., be left behind).

1. Americana

2. boomerang child

3. bromance

4. continuous positive airway pressure

5. cougar

6. crowdsourcing

7. duathlon

8. fist bump

9. helicopter parent

10. m-commerce

11. parkour

12. robocall

13. social media

14. tweet

15. walk-off 

Shouldn't that be parkor?
  • DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

When tens of millions of people use it constantly, its a word.

Regardless of what webster or your rules of vocabulary desire.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

my business here is done

but but but, no. your ignorance is my entertainment.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/massively

FAIL

way to hop in late and echo what everyone else has already tried to prove, which still is unresolved since it;s all based on a flawed adaptation of the english language

wake up! you're all brainwashed! the government is a lie dont fall for the illusions!

BS someone posted the link to The Complete Oxford English Dictionary.....the defintive source for the english language.

Originally posted by LadyNoh

my business here is done

but but but, no. your ignorance is my entertainment.

and yours is mine

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

my business here is done

You dont get it. This thread isnt just about you.

So long.

This discussion has been closed.