Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any GvG maps or none capture maps?

odienmanodienman Member UncommonPosts: 61

I was just wondering if Anet has announced one way or the other if they are moving away from the traditional maps and GvG that had in Guild Wars 1 to "only" capture style or WvW or will they have more map types/styles similiar to the original? 

I believe that the capture only format is not going to be highly e-sport/fun to watch in comparison to the original, at least in my eyes.  I'll still have fun and know there will be good strategy either way, but nothing gets people more excited then combat, and capture maps have much less of it, due to the size, running and requirements to split so much.

I hope they have something up their sleave, since it seems kinda weird to leave the whole game style behind, since its fan base was large and use to it.....

Comments

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by odienman

I was just wondering if Anet has announced one way or the other if they are moving away from the traditional maps and GvG that had in Guild Wars 1 to "only" capture style or WvW or will they have more map types/styles similiar to the original? 

Personally I like having maps that force a 5v5 the whole time or even 10v10, its a very different combat game when its set up that way and not large capture maps........

All maps are capture type maps, and all competitive pvp is 5v5.

There is no real GvG and even when playing with friends teams can be auto balanced automatically so you are against them, unless in tournament play.

• EzekelEzekel Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by Cromica

Personally I like having maps that force a 5v5 the whole time or even 10v10, its a very different combat game when its set up that way and not large capture maps........

All maps are capture type maps, and all competitive pvp is 5v5.

There is no real GvG and even when playing with friends teams can be auto balanced automatically so you are against them, unless in tournament play.

There is no autobalace, and even if there is then you can probably set the server to not do so.

Currently all maps are conquest style, that is there main format and they want to focus entirely on that for launch.

They probably have other game types they want to add later, so don't think that conquest will always be the only game type.

• odienmanodienman Member UncommonPosts: 61

Hmmm not the responses I was hoping for.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Ya =/.

I definitely miss the GvG events from GW1, as well as the variety of PvP they had in the first game. Here's to hoping they add some of that back into the 2nd..

Originally posted by aesperus

Ya =/.

I definitely miss the GvG events from GW1, as well as the variety of PvP they had in the first game. Here's to hoping they add some of that back into the 2nd..

I imagine we aren't alone, why drop everything the pvp fan base was use to?  It only takes a couple of maps and everyones happy.  The new and old.

• EzekelEzekel Member Posts: 98

Ya =/.

I imagine we aren't alone, why drop everything the pvp fan base was use to?  It only takes a couple of maps and everyones happy.  The new and old.

GvG would not work with the way GW2 plays, there is no way that the standoff as the flag stand would happen.

PvP in GW1 always worked around Healers, it was always about getting enough pressure to make them run out of energy, spike fast enough to get around their healing, or interupt their healing skills so that you can kill someone. Granted some people would run some gimicky builds like IWAY or something but most GvG matches had 2 or 3 monks on both teams.

No Healers means there has to be a complete paradigm shift on what will work and what won't, and its obvious that ANET decided GvG would not work.

Just enjoy all the PvP that GW2 offers and expect even more types to come after launch.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by Ezekel

Currently all maps are conquest style, that is there main format and they want to focus entirely on that for launch.

They probably have other game types they want to add later, so don't think that conquest will always be the only game type.

Yes they stated that few times. Most probably they will implement more PvP types later.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

GvG would be wierd since you can be in multiple guilds on one character.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

There is no autobalace, and even if there is then you can probably set the server to not do so.

There is definitely autobalance. It functions similarly to TF2 autobalance, except that during the warning it gives players the option to switch manually.

There might be a way to turn it off, but I hope not. Most players don't understand why such features are absolutely necessary for a fun game and most would likely turn it off. Repeated facerolls due to unbalanced teams isn't fun for anyone participating. Turning off autobalance so that you an your friends can win repeatedly with no effort equates to griefing.

EDIT: It should be obvious, but autobalance does not happen in tournaments.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

GvG is redundant with tournament mode. There was no reason to require players to be in a guild in order to participate in certain game types.

They're launching with only Conquest mode for separate reasons. Other mode types may appear later on, but none of them will require you to be in a guild.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

GvG would not work with the way GW2 plays, there is no way that the standoff as the flag stand would happen.

PvP in GW1 always worked around Healers, it was always about getting enough pressure to make them run out of energy, spike fast enough to get around their healing, or interupt their healing skills so that you can kill someone. Granted some people would run some gimicky builds like IWAY or something but most GvG matches had 2 or 3 monks on both teams.

No Healers means there has to be a complete paradigm shift on what will work and what won't, and its obvious that ANET decided GvG would not work.

Just enjoy all the PvP that GW2 offers and expect even more types to come after launch.

You're right about GvG, but only because of how fluid guilds are in GW2 (you can freely switch between any guild you like). Adding GvG would indeed go counter to the 'united server' ideal they are trying to achieve for WvWvW. However, I still miss the HoH, and GvG style play. I think they could add specialty PvP modes for this, without throwing their 'e-sport' PvP out of balance.

Furthermore, while GW1 did work around healers, it was the morale system that won or lost the match. One team would try and impose as many moral debuffs on the other before sweeping in for the final kill. I think we will see a similar thing happening in GW2, except instead of morale we will have the downed state. Once one side gets too many players in a downed state / defeated, the rest will get rolled pretty quickly. It's still all about momentum and control.

Ya =/.

Yes. while I agree the flow would be different, I still think they could do more in terms of maps (keep it at 5v5 for all I care) that are just about combat/build usage.  I don't think capture modes will attract many viewers, but maybe I'm wrong.