Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you feel about the respect costs.

evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

There is a thread about this on Guru but I know not everyone here goes.

It costs 15 silver to respec which is around 25 minutes of playtime in a level 15 area with coin/loot drops. In another comparison an hour in a level 30 dungeon was worth roughly 50 silver plus inventory loot.

I like the price myself its not to high but it gives some consenquence to the choice. Another intresting thing is the yogcast guys said the amount of money your earning doesn't really scale up as much as you would think and that they felt it was down because of the down scaling when a high level goes into a lower zone. If you got alot less money you'd have less incentive to go to the lower areas.

How do you all feel?

Link to Elizabeth's Q&A where she address the trait respec cost.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/26/guild-wars-2-beta-questions-answered/

Comments

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I think it's miniscule.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I expect a ton of money sinks, so the price is nothing, it simply is what it is. It will take time for the market to adjust, adn those sinks will adjust also, especially with the whole economy of gems and such.

Going to be very interesting.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I think it should be low.. or even free. As long as you can't just change your entire trait build whilst half way through doing something I'm happy. That amount seems fine.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

I agree with the other posts, isn't much and im not worried about it.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

I think people should have to earn respect.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

I see what you did there.

Back in my wow raiding days I played a pali and depending on the encounter it was possible i'd have to respec. It wasn't uncommon for me to respec 3 times in one night from, Tank, to healer, then back to tank. 3 nights a week they often added up.

Considering I don't forsee anything remotely similar to that in GW2 I'd go as far as to say they could double it and i'd be ok with it.

Just saw alot of back and forth on it at guru and wondered how you all felt.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by evicton

Just saw alot of back and forth on it at guru and wondered how you all felt.

You show me a feature ArenaNet has announced, and I'll show you a feature that's had a lot of "back and forth" at Guru.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Eh, it's fine. GW has never really been a game that presses you for money. I think keeping the costs low is a good thing. Not only does it avoid punishing players for making a mistake, but it also encourages people to keep trying new builds, which was one of the main things I loved about the first game.

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

I wish there was at least a dual-spec for PvE

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I don't know that we have enough information to decide. Is that fee independent of level, or does it scale? Does it increaase with the number of respecs, or do previous respecs have no effect on the price?

If the price scales by level, then we need to compare the price at each level with the average rate of gold earnings at the same level. If the flee is not based on level, it seems like it becomes a regressive tax, being much more costly for a lower level character still experimenting with build than for a higher level character who's earnings make the fee insignificant.

Even looking at the numbers given, what if you found yourself respeccing for a dungeon run, then speccing back to your general leveling/exploring build when done? 30 silver of the 50 earned from the dungeon seems a little steep.

I really hope that there is no penalty for multiple respecs and that the cost will scale by level, so that it isn't more burdensome for lower level character who have the least amount of spare income and more need to experiment with their profession. I also hope the cost will not be excessive for people who do decide to respec for a dungeon and respec back for more general play. I'm not sure where the current prices fit with those criteria, because, as I said, I don't think we know enough to really decide one way or the other that current prices are fair.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Half an hour of "grinding" is not much i guess, so its fine with me. Also as mentioned the traits can be changed all the time without cost which is the most important part of a "respect", so really once more no problem for me.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

It'll be like any other game. Hard for people wanting to constantly respec their 10 points to try new "builds" but eventually there wont be anything to do with gold and it will be forgotten about when people click past the respec screen.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by Adalwulff

I expect a ton of money sinks, so the price is nothing, it simply is what it is. It will take time for the market to adjust, adn those sinks will adjust also, especially with the whole economy of gems and such.

Going to be very interesting.

Gems are a big money sink :)  Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

• CallinCallin Member Posts: 99

Im fine with it.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Kwintpod

I wish there was at least a dual-spec for PvE

It's called "swapping weapons".

The traits simply add flavor to your character, give it a unique flair. They won't define your character. They won't make you weaker in areas you haven't traited to boost; you'll stay the same there. You can change major traits on the fly.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by evicton

There is a thread about this on Guru but I know not everyone here goes.

It costs 15 silver to respec which is around 25 minutes of playtime in a level 15 area with coin/loot drops. In another comparison an hour in a level 30 dungeon was worth roughly 50 silver plus inventory loot.

I like the price myself its not to high but it gives some consenquence to the choice. Another intresting thing is the yogcast guys said the amount of money your earning doesn't really scale up as much as you would think and that they felt it was down because of the down scaling when a high level goes into a lower zone. If you got alot less money you'd have less incentive to go to the lower areas.

How do you all feel?

Link to Elizabeth's Q&A where she address the trait respec cost.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/26/guild-wars-2-beta-questions-answered/

When you consider that you don't even get your first trait point until level 11, your first minor trait at the fastest is at level 15, your first major at the fastest level 20... you're going to have plenty of time before you should even consider the need to swap points around to any degree.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

MMO's are under such huge microscopes nowadays.  everything seen, heard or read gets picked to death.  some of the games are still in BETA and not finalized.  let the developers design the games. if a trait respec fee is too high and a game-breaker for you then stop playing and spam in the official forums until they change the fee of ban you.  

I've got the straight edge.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

The cost doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I think it is a tad too low if anything. The need to travel to a person like all the other games that feel it is necessary to have that fucking timesink does though. Not a huge deal but rather silly all the same far as I'm concerned.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.