Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA Vs Dragon Nest

2»

Comments

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

I have played both games, and I agree on what most have been saying about Nexon games. F2P + Cash shop = Pay 2 Win.

But combat wise, DN is like, and in some cases better, than TERA. What got me irked is that TERA is advertising their game as if it were a brand new practice. Maybe mainstream players have never heard of it, but the action MMORPG has been out for a very long time, even if it is not very well known.

I do hope TERA does well, only in hopes that other developers make a game from the ground up based on action, and steer away from enhancements and even leveling. They should do something along the lines of Monster Hunter, where you get all the skills you will ever get the moment you start the game, and only with time and practice do you get well enough to continue doing the more difficult challenges of the game. Only way to get gear is to use the drops from the monsters you defeat to make better gear, which in turn makes certain other encounters easier by the way of being able to deal more damage, mitigate more, or give you higher avoidance. If an MMO does come out like that (cause Capcom is keeping MH:Frontier as a Japan only MMO), it will definately be a big pull for myself at least, and I wont mind paying a monthly subscription for it.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Sephastus

I have played both games, and I agree on what most have been saying about Nexon games. F2P + Cash shop = Pay 2 Win.

But combat wise, DN is like, and in some cases better, than TERA. What got me irked is that TERA is advertising their game as if it were a brand new practice. Maybe mainstream players have never heard of it, but the action MMORPG has been out for a very long time, even if it is not very well known.

I do hope TERA does well, only in hopes that other developers make a game from the ground up based on action, and steer away from enhancements and even leveling. They should do something along the lines of Monster Hunter, where you get all the skills you will ever get the moment you start the game, and only with time and practice do you get well enough to continue doing the more difficult challenges of the game. Only way to get gear is to use the drops from the monsters you defeat to make better gear, which in turn makes certain other encounters easier by the way of being able to deal more damage, mitigate more, or give you higher avoidance. If an MMO does come out like that (cause Capcom is keeping MH:Frontier as a Japan only MMO), it will definately be a big pull for myself at least, and I wont mind paying a monthly subscription for it.

well only problem is lot of people like the feeling of progression aka lvling up getting new skill and armor. I guess could work based on pure gear progression, but than it feel like just 1 instance grind after other. because there is no need for open world since your just farming dungeons for gear progression. Even if its open world bosses like BAM in tera thats all you have, is just BAM after BAM after BAM.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Ehh the combat in DN did not feel that much more fluid than TERA. I am not a big fan of TERA but I would play it over DN any day. DN is just too silly looking for me to get into it. TERA has a much more immersive world.

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

This thread is crazy.

I played Dragon Nest and Vindictus for about a month each, and enjoyed my time on both, but comparing them to TERA is ridiculous.  You might as well compare Diablo to Shadowbane.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Originally posted by marzatplay

Having BETA tested TERA this past weekend I have to admit I enjoyed Dragon Nest more then TERA. To be honest, TERA is Dragon Nest in an open world really but I just didn't have as much fun in TERA. I've played lots of themepark MMO's and currently playign RIFT. I just don't see myself subbing to TERA.

Dragon Nest certainly is worth the download if you like TERA. Playing TERA I kept thinking how Dragon Nest did the combat better, and made the gameplay overall more fun. In Dragon Nest you don't have those kill 10 of these and 10 of those. The biggest downfall to Dragon Nest however is that it is an instanced game similar to the original Guild Wars, but once you get used to it, it's very addicting.

I have not played Dragon Nest in 2 months while I'm subbed to RIFT again, but those were my thoughts during this BETA weekend for TERA. I don't think I'll be buying TERA and subbing when I can play a better game in Dragon Nest for free. Don't get me wrong, there is a cash shop in Dragon Nest but the only thing you really need to buy  is more inventory space and it's is not a P2W cash shop (although it is over priced on a lot of fluff items).

I honestly didn't come here to promote Dragon Nest or give a bad review about TERA. I think they're both good games, but I found myself having more fun when I did play Dragon Nest in the past. I only subbed to RIFT for the 1 year anniversary celebrations. I'll be going back to Dragon Nest before GW2 comes out.

Anyone else played Dragon Nest and can compare what they thought about TERA vs Dragon Nest?

Tera is all about end game...so you really can't compare it at this point.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    Graphics-wise, TERA is far greater than DN. But I don't particularly care about that (I still spend a lot of time playing snes/genesis games), and in terms of gameplay the only thing TERA has over DN is that it's open-world.

Originally posted by gaeanprayerOtherwise, the combat is far more action-packed in DN, not to mention the skills are more extravagent and satisfying (I'll take dropping a gigantic pulsing relic over a few balls of sparkly holy power any day), and the "themepark" mechanics are presented better. And it's free.

I should point out however, that it's far better to compare RaiderZ to TERA than DN. They're much more similar in that they're 'action-mmos' in an open-world setting with very high-end graphics (RaiderZ is absolutely beautiful, and f2p). 

Anyone else see the logical fallacies in this? ;p

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

Originally posted by ChromeBallz

Graphics-wise, TERA is far greater than DN. But I don't particularly care about that (I still spend a lot of time playing snes/genesis games), and in terms of gameplay the only thing TERA has over DN is that it's open-world.

Originally posted by gaeanprayerOtherwise, the combat is far more action-packed in DN, not to mention the skills are more extravagent and satisfying (I'll take dropping a gigantic pulsing relic over a few balls of sparkly holy power any day), and the "themepark" mechanics are presented better. And it's free.

I should point out however, that it's far better to compare RaiderZ to TERA than DN. They're much more similar in that they're 'action-mmos' in an open-world setting with very high-end graphics (RaiderZ is absolutely beautiful, and f2p). 

That Raiderz looks horrible? I mean its like literaly mabinogi lvl graphic which isn't very high at all.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

@OP

First, Nice sig.

Second, DN is a good game... say it with me now... for a F2P title.  The only thing you could possibly compare between the two games is the combat fluididty(not sure this is a word).  By now most people know about the stop in movement for certain skills. Many people have pointed out the reasons for it and what you can change about your character as you progress to remove some of them (see Archer's "charged shot".  Early on you cannot move while it's "charging").

Comparing anything else TERA has to offer to DN really doesn't seem serious to me.  Yes, the combat is TERA's most noted feature but there is a whole lot more to the game than that.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• YinlorYinlor Member Posts: 55

Dragon nest bored me to tears, the quests were boring, the grind was dull, the classes were boring, the combat was laggy despite the heavy instancing, it was fun for all of a day due to the novelty of it all

TERA is open world, thus making it a million times more fun from the get-go, for 1 reason, OPEN WORLD PVP, real-time combat with the possibility of open-world PVP makes things so much more fun from the outset

Not only that, it requires more than just skill spamming, TERAs combat had a much more interesting, methodical approach, with faster classes should you want it, and it felt great

But the main thing TERA has over DN...THE COMBAT ISN'T LAGGY. Despite me being in the UK and playing on the NA TERA server, despite the fact it's open world and supporting far more players at once, the combat in TERA STILL manages to be more responsive

So what would I rather play? A mashy, instanced game with laggy combat, or a methodical, open-world game with responsive combat? The choice is obvious, if I really wanted to play a DN-style game though, I'd play Vindictus anyways

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Originally posted by ChromeBallz

That Raiderz looks horrible? I mean its like literaly mabinogi lvl graphic which isn't very high at all.

"I don't care about graphics"

immediately followed by

"Dn abilities look cooler"

and

"RaiderZ looks just as good so it's just as good as Tera"

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• HotmanHotman Member Posts: 14

I prefer the Tera

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

I love both games. To me, they are not games that really compare. Apples and oranges. Yes the combat are similar.

DN / Vindictus is non stop combat from level 1 to max. You can get away with using all your skills from 1 to 9 with little consequences. Of course when you attack bosses you have to be mindful of their attacks on your hp. Also, the higher then you level difficulty dungeons are more demanding and you need to have the best gear to finish the dungeon in one piece.

Tera is more of a strategic action combat mmo. You can't just spam attacks. ( You can for weaker smaller mobs) The point, I believe, to why almost all the skills dont work while running is so that you attack when there is an opening in the monsters attack/defense. Trying to attack a BAM for example, while he is attacking you is foolish. Of course, you really understand this feature at higher levels.

Anyways, both games are great and I would suggest anyone to try both out to see what they like.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Originally posted by corpusc

You can't get DN and vindictus combat because it would cause so much lag. The thing is highspeed internet isn't a common thing yet, until everyone have high speed internet any game like that would be impratical in open world. Having 4 people flying all over the map is one thing, even in DN when you get to lot of people it lags. Imagine open world like Tera when you get over 100+ people in 1 area all doing high speed movement flying all over the place.... ya can't even play at all.

sure you can. 

Planetside  had massive battles, & PS2 is on the way,

and i'm in the beta for another action MMO that has WAY faster action than those even.  where you NEVER have to stop, in many cases you're not even encouraged to (in order to improve your aim, as many of the weapons don't have spreading crosshairs)   this is with many players and many monsters all in a tight little area.

beyond that, all the players also have jump jets, so they have tons of VERTICAL movement as well.  AND.... the mobs even have these long, lunging leaps.

Tera's rooting was a design decision.

but thanks for the DN info.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• BreakingeBreakinge Member UncommonPosts: 44

Tera is really cool, I just like the action-combat. I enjoyed Vindictus, but at the end game it just became to much grindy and repetetive. I only wish Tera would not be so expensive else I would buy it instant.  ( yay first post ^^ )

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Breaking123

Tera is really cool, I just like the action-combat. I enjoyed Vindictus, but at the end game it just became to much grindy and repetetive. I only wish Tera would not be so expensive else I would buy it instant.  ( yay first post ^^ )

Just wait a few months and it will be in the bargin bin like most MMOs.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

TERA can not be compared with Dragon Nest or vindictus, because they are more of instance beat them up games.

Only game TERA compares to right now is RaiderZ

Raiderz just came out of closed alpha , and IMHO has a tighter combat system than TERA, and in that respect is more fun. But TERA has a real big budget and with that much more polish and content.

Still RaiderZ is going to be F2P , so to each its own.

• albaficassalbaficass Member Posts: 101

comparing tera with that crappy cartoon f2p "mmo"

Tera blows that game with eaze and style no need even thinking about it

its like comparing a ferrari against a lada....

Tera all the way.

• SteazySteazy Member Posts: 39

I would expect this for April fools...  Dragons Nest combat good,  lol good one :D

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

I don't understand this at all.  One is a fairly decently put together game while the other is, to put it blank, a piece of absolute trash.  Might as well compare Guild Wars 2 to Runescape...they're both MMO's anyways.

Originally posted by dannydeuce

I don't understand this at all.  One is a fairly decently put together game while the other is, to put it blank, a piece of absolute trash.  Might as well compare Guild Wars 2 to Runescape...they're both MMO's anyways.

Runescape classic way better than GW2 man see that fighting animation? Look like fist bumps no matter what weapon you hold and even 2h is held like a 1 hand. But in the end its all about the fist bump.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

As far as combat is concerned, Dragon Nest is FAR superior.  

The problem is that that's it.  There's no crafting systems (sort of, but come on...), no endgame to speak of, it's a dungeon crwling beat-em up in 3D.

It does a fantastic job of that, but that's it.  I love playing Dragon Nest because it's just so much fun, but TERA is by far the more complete mmo.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

As far as combat is concerned, Dragon Nest is FAR superior.  

The problem is that that's it.  There's no crafting systems (sort of, but come on...), no endgame to speak of, it's a dungeon crwling beat-em up in 3D.

It does a fantastic job of that, but that's it.  I love playing Dragon Nest because it's just so much fun, but TERA is by far the more complete mmo.

This thread is 2 years old.

Necro much?