Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In WvW, siege weapons cost gold. Gems buyers have a WvW advantage

Comments

• ChuvarHramaChuvarHrama Member UncommonPosts: 88

Originally posted by NMStudio

Originally posted by romanator0

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Supply

Doesn't matter how much gold you have. You can't do shit without supply. Do your research next time.

and all of that gold is just going to make that supply more expensive, making it even more necessary for you to buy gems to turn into gold.

This game is going to require money to keep it going, that's a fact of life too many people refuse to see.  B2P is marketting bullshit.  There's no monthly subscription, so the money has to come from somewhere... and it's coming from the cash shop.  And no one will buy from the cash shop unless they've given the reason to do so, so these reasons are built into the very foundation of the game.

I'm not saying i'm against paying cash for gold, that's just fine, but people need to look at it and accept it for what it is. 

All of the bullshit the fanboi's have been saying over and over that the cash should would be "Cosmetic items only" has been completely proven false. 

You can't buy supply. You lose.

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    NMStudio it is easy to prove someone false if you ignore every logical argument and only respond to the dumb ones.
  • Orphy123Orphy123 Member Posts: 11

fghfhgfhf

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Originally posted by ChuvarHrama

Originally posted by adam_nox

You can't buy or sell supply?  What if players want to just hold onto 10 supply and prevent their side from building unless someone pays them some gems?

You can't be serious... 

It's not that far fetched... when we're talking about real cash here, I could make MONEY buy controlling the supply.  People do it in games where the gold has no real value, and this is only going to make it worse.

lol you can only hold 10 of something that is continuously created as long as you own the supply depot.  way to corner the market there

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

You can't buy or sell supply?  What if players want to just hold onto 10 supply and prevent their side from building unless someone pays them some gems?

You can't be serious... 

It's not that far fetched... when we're talking about real cash here, I could make MONEY buy controlling the supply.  People do it in games where the gold has no real value, and this is only going to make it worse.

Not only that, but they can request your house, your car, who knows?! This is serious **** we are dealing with here....

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

I do love it when people like the OP totally miss the point and try to make out one transaction is all it takes.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Doesn't matter how much gold you have. You can't do shit without supply. Do your research next time.

and all of that gold is just going to make that supply more expensive, making it even more necessary for you to buy gems to turn into gold.

This game is going to require money to keep it going, that's a fact of life too many people refuse to see.  B2P is marketting bullshit.  There's no monthly subscription, so the money has to come from somewhere... and it's coming from the cash shop.  And no one will buy from the cash shop unless they've given the reason to do so, so these reasons are built into the very foundation of the game.

I'm not saying i'm against paying cash for gold, that's just fine, but people need to look at it and accept it for what it is. 

All of the bullshit the fanboi's have been saying over and over that the cash should would be "Cosmetic items only" has been completely proven false. 

You may want to take the advice of the guy you're quoting and actually do some research. You're view is just blatantly flawed.

1) You don't buy supply. You earn it from capturing enemy keeps. Ever seen that 'supply' yak in the PvP vids? That you're or the enemy's team taking supply back to their base. You can then go pickup 10 supply at a time to use it to help build / repair crap. Gems and gold do not enter into that at all. What does gold buy? Keep upgrades. That's it.

2) Noone is claiming that Anet is not trying to make a profit off this game. The fact that you seem to believe this is kinda laughable. More to the point, Anet has publicly stated that 'We want to make quality products, and B2P is our way of letting the player demonstrate to us whether or not they like our content'.

If you look passed your blind hatred, you may find that such a statement isn't just marketting, it's a clever business model. Why? Because it does two things. It allows Anet to hold a good standing with it's community (thus generating a loyal fanbase, as well as increasing the chance that players will buy their products), it also gives Anet a very clear guage as to how people feel about their content. Subscriptions do none of this, we've just been conditioned to think that subs are necessary for MMOs to exist. The math just doesn't support that, though.

** Furthermore, point 2 is exactly why B2P works. I'm not sure this model would work if everyone tried to do it, but because Anet is the only one, it gives them an edge. Furthermore it gives them incentive to keep making quality products, which creates a positive feedback loop. If you look at the whole picture, this benefits not only Anet, but also the players as well. **

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Betakodo

Originally posted by st4t1ck

who's to say you dont die during the slow as all hell walk all the way to the tower.  who's to say you own a resource camp around the tower you want to seige.  who's to say there isnt fighting at the resource camp itself?

It will take many non-gundams to destroy one gundam pilot in a siege golem! Who's to say the siege golem will not be part of a gem buyers elite club? Who's to say the resource camp is yours? Who's to say the sky won't fall on us?

Non-gundams? You mean mobile suits? Also the pilot of the gundams are just mobile suit pilots without the gundams unless you're trying to refer to Newtype pilots. Which don't need gundams to be good pilots. Your weeafu is weak, pupil.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

OK, let's break this down into what we know.

What we know.

• RL money can be used to purchase gems.these can be then sold on the AH for gold.

• In essence, a person can use RL money to circumvent the necessity to earn gold through questing/farming and just buy it.

• Other players can to. how, you say? by playing the market. Let's say I buy 100 gems off the market at 1g each. I then, noting there are no more on the market, turn around and sell them for 1.5g each. I turn a 50% profit. 

• Siege items cost a cmall amount of ingame money. 

• From what we've seen from event rewards and such, you will have enough money to buy these same plans relatively easy.

• Also, building siege items  will take supply, which is a finite resource. Meaning that you can have 348562374234 plans if you want- you're still limited to how many siege items you can build.

• The suggestion to build a golem at a supply camp seems to be a bad one. video I've watched from WvW shows siege items having horribly short lifespans. Also, they seem best suited to breaking down fort walls, not attacking other players. Also, directing siege resources to something other than a siege will probably affect your chances of winning.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

You can't buy supply. You lose.

I laughed so hard, I almost spilled my drink in my hand.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    Once again buying gems will not change the amount of gold in the economy of a server. You have to trade with another player who farmed gold just like everyone else.

If there is 10,000 gold in the economy and someone buys a gem and trades it to another player, there will still be 10,000 gold in the economy.

There is no obvious server advantage for buying gems. Plain and simple, end of story.

The server still has the same buying power when it comes to PvP, any other argument is speculation at best.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by ComfyChair

I do love it when people like the OP totally miss the point and try to make out one transaction is all it takes.

This ^, though all the screaming of 'the sky is falling!' is really getting old. Especially when the proof is sitting right there and people are just choosing not to look at it.

I wonder what the next round of QQing from people who never previously posted in the GW2 threads will be about. Sylvari having too many leaves? Asura guardians being blatantly stolen from Mega Man? Who knows. Chances are it will be 'this is BS! I didn't get into CE beta, cause i didn't buy the game' or something along those lines.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by aesperus

This ^, though all the screaming of 'the sky is falling!' is really getting old. Especially when the proof is sitting right there and people are just choosing not to look at it.

I wonder what the next round of QQing from people who never previously posted in the GW2 threads will be about. Sylvari having too many leaves? Asura guardians being blatantly stolen from Mega Man? Who knows. Chances are it will be 'this is BS! I didn't get into CE beta, cause i didn't buy the game' or something along those lines.

Just proceed to not give a damn :)

We've seen everything now, there's nothing that can actually surprise us and be the 'bad' thing. It is all good ;)

This game is set to rocket up the PC all time sales chart. I'm betting it'll handily beat skyrim in first week sales.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

They really are running out of legs to stand on. A lot of the arguments lately have been far stretches. I will not tell someone else what to lke or dislike but come on. If you don't like the game then please quit trying to convince everyone else that the games a scam. Get down off that soapbox and put your efforts into learning about a game that is more to your liking. I think people have done a great job in this thread explaining why the OP and his ignorant argument is wrong. I am sure the system will not be perfect, it is going ot a bea player driven economy after all, but I think it may be a little too early to be crying doom and gloom because of the CS information. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

So now those that invest money are on even footing with those who invest time.

So unfair. So unfair.

/irony

Sigh.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Kuppa

You can't be serious... 

Not only that, but they can request your house, your car, who knows?! This is serious **** we are dealing with here....

They don't need to request anything.  Someone will be willing to pay, it's just a matter of how much.

Originally posted by FlawSGI

They really are running out of legs to stand on. A lot of the arguments lately have been far stretches. I will not tell someone else what to lke or dislike but come on. If you don't like the game then please quit trying to convince everyone else that the games a scam. Get down off that soapbox and put your efforts into learning about a game that is more to your liking. I think people have done a great job in this thread explaining why the OP and his ignorant argument is wrong. I am sure the system will not be perfect, it is going ot a bea player driven economy after all, but I think it may be a little too early to be crying doom and gloom because of the CS information. 

Just look at the OP sig and his posts on mmorpg.com... its so sad....

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

The tripe people come up with, regarding GW2 and it's cash shop is hilarious. What? So now I have to spend £5 in order to compete in WvW. Well there goes £1's worth of siege equipment. image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by wolvards

just curious, once you buy the blueprint is that it? done, now all you need is the materials? or everytime you want 1 treb you have to buy a blueprint? then, how much materials are needed to make that blueprint, i get your point, but i'm just curious as to how the siege system will work.

Blueprints are purchased with gold or looted from killed players. To use blueprints you need supply which is gained from captured areas such as logging camps and mines.

I have to kill others to get items in game. Oh great this is just a play2play game!

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Yeah, sad that people are willingly letting companies add f2p cash shop to a game they paid $60 for, or stuff that's already on the disc. I apparently stepped into pro-Arenanet territory though. For once, the fansites are more anti something.

What's with the people assuming gems will never be traded for gold? Goodies in the cash shop make gems liquid, i.e they have value and will be traded.

Lets do some algebra, assuming they're all equal in value because we're agruing that they ARE indeed liquid and not comparing value:

Dollars = Gems = Gold

Therefore:  Dollars = Gold

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

These people complaining do know that they don't have to buy or play GW2 if there are elements that they are so opposed to?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by Betakodo

Yeah, sad that people are willingly letting companies add f2p cash shop to a game they paid $60 for, or stuff that's already on the disc. I apparently stepped into pro-Arenanet territory though. For once, the fansites are more anti something.

What's with the people assuming gems will never be traded for gold? Goodies in the cash shop make gems liquid, i.e they have value and will be traded.

Lets do some algebra, assuming they're all equal in value because we're agruing that they ARE indeed liquid and not comparing value:

Dollars = Gems = Gold

Therefore:  Dollars = Gold

Why do you care how someone wants to spend their money?

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

I've seen some realy good posts in favour of the cash shop. I can also understand the OP's concerns.

To those that say blueprints are cheap: They are cheap now and no one nowhere has any idea how much this stuff will cost on launch day. I have been in many many betas and it is not at all uncommon to make items more easily available for the purposes of testing. While many posters feel that GW2 prices are set in stone, I can't share that reassurance. Anet need to make the cash shop worth using otherwise why spend so much time designing it and tweaking it? Part of their projected earnings WILL include cash shop income. If there is no reason to use it they will loose money. While I won't jump on the doom wagon I think there is a chance that those prices may change in future. Everyone here must recognize that as a possibility as the game nears launch.

To the OP: Proof of the pudding is in the eating. While there is the potential for Anet to go all Gpotato on your ass, I personally don't think that will happen. These guys dont have a lot of horses in their stable so it would be ludicrous that they would alienate their core fans by shaking their pockets out.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.