Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: So Much to Do in Tyria

Comments

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by grimfall

Originally posted by Bunks

you want to know why I will love this game, because they went thru great lengths making it fun for people like myself who like to discover and explore stuff.

This blew me away

http://youtu.be/8JCeTG7zWqs

There's really been something that bugged me about the graphics, and I finally put my finger on it, when watching that video (though it's not a really great example).  It's that stupid green outline they put on your target.  It makes images into 2D sprites.  Really a bad decision, and now that I've figured it out, it amazes me that Arena-Net wasn't able to do the same.

Too late down the pipeline I am sure, but it would be much better if they used something else, like the good old ground circle (EQ1, right?).

Its called Cell-Shading  and yes its my 2nd main gripe I have about the game, I really hope they have a way to turn it off in the graphics settings.  My other gripe is that it you cant bind keys to modifier keys like Ctrl, Alt or Shift.  If they manage to fix both of those complaints then the game will become even more of a hit "FOR ME".

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I would wage pretty damn long.  My Proof you ask?  Seeing how around only 10% of players in a game like WoW are finishing endgame content, i.e. *raiding*, then I think a more casual approach with thousands of dynamic events will keep the average MMO gamer entertained for years to come.  On top of that we have WvW which is a never ending form of "end-game" in its own right or you have Explorable mode dungeons that are said to be "HARD AS ****". 

Yea I guess I dont see very much to do at end game......./rolls eyes.

Good point actually.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by Valentina

Every game has it's flaws, and it's strengths and GW2 will not be magically exempt from this. The personal story system from everything we've seen so far does indeed appear to be lacking pretty heavily, since it seems to totally displace you from the game-world and put you in this weird backdrop situation, with static characters. The game world seems impressive enough, but with no real end-game as part of their ideology with this game, I wonder how long this game will hold sustained interest in the majority of the gaming community. The game definitely is looking impressive in many ways, I'll be playing with many of you when launch is finally here...But I probably won't be canceling my SW:TOR subscription for this, and I don't think many other people will be, either. Partially due to the fact you don't need to since this game has no sub-fee, but also because there *will* be things that aren't quite to standard with GW2 that you'll only find in a game like SW:TOR, or even older MMO's.

I would wage pretty damn long.  My Proof you ask?  Seeing how around only 10% of players in a game like WoW are finishing endgame content, i.e. *raiding*, then I think a more casual approach with thousands of dynamic events will keep the average MMO gamer entertained for years to come.  On top of that we have WvW which is a never ending form of "end-game" in its own right or you have Explorable mode dungeons that are said to be "HARD AS ****". 

Yea I guess I dont see very much to do at end game......./rolls eyes.

Only time can tell if end game options in GW2 will be enough and if there's enough replacement for the lack of hardcore raiding, besides PvP, to compensate with.

I find it hard to estimate: for example, some MMO gamers complain about the lack of endgame features in this or that (themepark) MMO, yet a game like WoW that shows that same lack of endgame options as those other MMO's do, still managed to keep its players entertained for years. So apparently it isn't just about that that makes people stay or not.

The whole open world PvP discussion, I think it's there because GW2's way doesn't fall in any of the current types, making both sides have valid arguments:

- no, the Mists aren't part of the main game world, so it's not open world PvP as we have got to know it in other MMO's that have open world PvP

- just like Battlegrounds, the Mists are separated and secluded away from the rest of GW2, it isn't even part of the world map. So it gets that feel of 'instanced away' because of that, not PvP that's integrated in the rest of the ingame world like open-world PvP traditionally is known for

- the Mists aren't just there for a small group or gone after a few hours when a group is gone, so it isn't 'instanced' like that, it as a (semi) persistent character, because it only gets reset every 2 weeks.

Personally, I don't see why people are making such a fuss about it, from either side of the argument. GW2's WvW PvP is different from what we've seen so far, deal with it: no, it isn't open world PvP as it has become known and it is seen in MMO's that have open world PvP, no it's also not simply instanced PvP or Battlegrounds as instanced PvP has become known.

It's somewhere inbetween, something different. Trying to force push it into either currently familiar category would be an ill fit in both cases.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Impressive quote pyramids.  Video was nice, didn't read the article.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by cutthecrap

*snip*

Personally, I like the idea of the Mists. It provides a persistant environment for PvPers where they can fight other players starting at level 1. There are meaningful objectives and content, everyone is more or less on equal footing and everyone in the zone is looking for a fight. What more would a real PvPer want?

The way PvP is handled in GW2 fits perfectly with the philosophy of the original. PvP in GW is more or less a competitive e-sport. Which I've grown to love. Besides, ganking newbs who are trying to quest gets old after a while, although it does have it's moments.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    What exactly does the title of the article have to do with contents of it? All you covered was graphics, combat, leveling, exploring. So besides that and the lackluster pvp aspects - where is all the stuff players can do?
  • NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by Teala

What exactly does the title of the article have to do with contents of it? All you covered was graphics, combat, leveling, exploring. So besides that and the lackluster pvp aspects - where is all the stuff players can do?

I think, unless you make your peace with the importance of pvp in this game, and enjoy it, as it is, for what it is (which I plan to do) this game probably will be found lacking. 

When you ask people, what do you hope for from this game, particularly after level cap, pretty much the universal answer is "fun." 

I will be honest--when this game first came to my attention a little over a year ago, I was pretty stoked. Everything looked new, fresh and innovative. I have tempered that assessment considerably at this point.  DEs are a bit more like RIFTs and PQs than I had hoped they would be, and largely, it still seems to ME, to be a bit more of the same with a couple new flavors of the month. Its kind of like having your favorite omlette, but this morning you add bacon instead of broccoli. Its gonna taste great, but its still an omelette.

Am I still excited to play? Yes, of course. It will seem fresh, maybe even innovative for a while. I will enjoy pvp for pvp sake. I will explore a bit. I will make new friends, and hang with old friends. I will kill mobs, build a house etc. 

In short,  what we can do in Tyria is pretty well documented outside this article. My problem, is that none of it seems quite as beautiful, new, or innovative as I would have expected it to be this time last year. It feels a bit like the same old thing, with a new seasoning.

Which....is fine. Just not *great.*

• Wingzx20Wingzx20 Member Posts: 2

SOMEONE GET RURIKHAN A BETA KEY!!

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

Can't wait for the 10th to be able to buy it and get into beta already. Tired to see my press buddies have fun every other week end. Well there's TERA to kill time, still.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90

The fact that this is has gotten nothing but good reviews, combined with people saying "There will be something bad about it soon!" (meaning even cynics can't find something bad to say) tells me this game is going to be huge.

• kcypher2000kcypher2000 Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by likwidsage

The fact that this is has gotten nothing but good reviews, combined with people saying "There will be something bad about it soon!" (meaning even cynics can't find something bad to say) tells me this game is going to be huge.

You obviously haven't paid attention to most articles on this site where they brag about many games as the next big thing until it finally launches.   Besides, you need to learn the difference between preview and review, cause the game hasn't been reviewed yet..... its not out.

I plan to get GW2 but not because this article.  This article seems like PR fluff and just listed features that have been done and forgotten in mmos before.  I think GW2 will be a solid mmo but I haven't seen anything original yet.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think Bill has bitten hard into the ArenaNet hype here. There is about as much content in GW2 as there is in any solo AAA RPG, makes sense as it costs dollars to develop that. But, it is similar to GW in that the lauch product is pretty much all you get till some expansion 6-12 months down the road. Like GW I bet you a bunch of people will start hailing GW2 as the mesiah of all mmorpg gaming only to then see after a few months a lot fo the players complete the launch content and go elsewhere. That is exactly what happened when GW lauched. Players went there from other games, but went back after they got bored.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Illyssia

I think Bill has bitten hard into the ArenaNet hype here. There is about as much content in GW2 as there is in any solo AAA RPG, makes sense as it costs dollars to develop that. But, it is similar to GW in that the lauch product is pretty much all you get till some expansion 6-12 months down the road. Like GW I bet you a bunch of people will start hailing GW2 as the mesiah of all mmorpg gaming only to then see after a few months a lot fo the players complete the launch content and go elsewhere. That is exactly what happened when GW lauched. Players went there from other games, but went back after they got bored.

Your wrong, GW2 will never get above 100,000 subs i'll bet on it.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Jetrpg

I bet GW2 will never get more than 1.5 subs.

It's not  a sub game. But I think you are right it will have an inital burst, which is why cash shop is there at launch, and then will dip down much as GW did into small numbers. I actually think Diablo 3 will have much better online numbers, and will canabilize  WoW numbers down even more this year.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Alot

When people start the troll/ wild speculation on issues that you cannot understand how will play out in game this should be our go to reply.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

When people start the troll/ wild speculation on issues that you cannot understand how will play out in game this should be our go to reply.

Well that is the reason why is gw2 f2p. There is not so much potential as in wow or any other sub games and developers don't want to take that risk. You know it is easy to play with numberst when you go f2p, we have some browser games that claims to have 8 mil players. It is the best way to go f2p with gw2, this game is made for casual players who are ready to jump in to game for weekends. It will be very stupid to even ask subscribtion, you will have maybe after 2-3 months 100k players. With selling gems you can make better profit, for example one super siege engine is 5$, you destroy 3 of them and you are already paying subscription fee

Originally posted by palulalula

Well that is the reason why is gw2 f2p. There is not so much potential as in wow or any other sub games and developers don't want to take that risk. You know it is easy to play with numberst when you go f2p, we have some browser games that claims to have 8 mil players. It is the best way to go f2p with gw2, this game is made for casual players who are ready to jump in to game for weekends. It will be very stupid to even ask subscribtion, you will have maybe after 2-3 months 100k players. With selling gems you can make better profit, for example one super siege engine is 5$, you destroy 3 of them and you are already paying subscription fee

GW2 isn't free 2 play. It costs to buy the game and it has a cash shop to make even more money off the inital release game. F2P would mean you could download and play the game without using your credit card. that just isn't possible, even in a GW2 fanbois best wet dream fantasy.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

So who is trolling here exactly? because both are making wild speculations. lol

• litgrams2litgrams2 Member Posts: 2

Does anyone know when it will come out?

• PuraimaruPuraimaru Member UncommonPosts: 68

Apprently May 23rd.

It still doesn't have a firm release date. Anytime from Summer to end of year I would think. Problem is beta testing tends to s l o w games down. AT the moment you can pre-order. Usually based on Pre-order the games compnay gets an idea of launch numbers. They can then plan how much server infrastruture they need to accomodate the players. With that plan in place and having fixed beta bugs they go to launch. I would be very suprised if NCsoft released in the same month as Diablo3, you would have too many players having to choose which AAA hi fantasy online game to go for, and Diablo 3 is likely to be a hit.

It still doesn't have a firm release date. Anytime from Summer to end of year I would think. Problem is beta testing tends to s l o w games down. AT the moment you can pre-order. Usually based on Pre-order the games compnay gets an idea of launch numbers. They can then plan how much server infrastruture they need to accomodate the players. With that plan in place and having fixed beta bugs they go to launch. I would be very suprised if NCsoft released in the same month as Diablo3, you would have too many players having to choose which AAA hi fantasy online game to go for, and Diablo 3 is likely to be a hit.

I don't think that matters much. At worst people will wait a month or 2 picking up one of the games. Besides, setting rour launch date based on Blizzards wims is risky, they are famous for delaying games (D3 was originally intended to launch in 2006).

and GW2 did have a lot longer alpha than most games which is why it is so polished it is already in the beta. It will still be slowed down a bit but nowhere near the games that go into beta as soon as they can.

Originally posted by palulalula

GW2 isn't free 2 play. It costs to buy the game and it has a cash shop to make even more money off the inital release game. F2P would mean you could download and play the game without using your credit card. that just isn't possible, even in a GW2 fanbois best wet dream fantasy.

I for one prefer B2P because all F2P I tried have been far from free. You more or less are forced to buy stuff after a couple of weeks which of course make sense since the devs need to get in money.

In B2P the cashshop can be a lot more optional since you sell boxes.

Originally posted by Loke666

I don't think that matters much. At worst people will wait a month or 2 picking up one of the games. Besides, setting rour launch date based on Blizzards wims is risky, they are famous for delaying games (D3 was originally intended to launch in 2006).

and GW2 did have a lot longer alpha than most games which is why it is so polished it is already in the beta. It will still be slowed down a bit but nowhere near the games that go into beta as soon as they can.

No it's critical for GW2. If they don't get perfect numbers then the games publisher will think it not a mega hit and won't support and promote the game. That's why any month after May is likely. I am thinking somewhere between July and end of year. If NCsoft released at the same time as Diablo3 then players would be picking between the two as a triple AAA game purchase and lets face it folks not many people play GW regularly right now. That's why I am going SWTOR sub and Diablo3 game purchase myself, will provide good online game experience over the 2012. For me this year  the game choice was box purchase between Diablo3 and GW2, and Blizzard is getting my bucks this time round.