Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Innovative MMORPGs, are really MMOFPS

Matticus75Matticus75 Posts: 396Member Uncommon

I recall playing Fallen Earth and thinking. "we are going in the right direction now, cool"

But with the newer MMORPG that have been comming out, they are still going on the "Tab Click" mechanic, same old thing

What I see is . Fire Fall, Tribes Universe, Planetside 2, Mech warrior online, Dust 500 and something ect.  comming out and they have concepets of a RPG in the sence of leveling up but twitched based

Seems that the MMORPGs are going to stay with the WoW clone varations

And MMOFPS is where the innovation is going to

• ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Toronto, ONPosts: 158Member

i'd like them to move away from tab-targetting, but at the same time, i don't like these new MMOFPS

i want more TERA, Vindictus, Dragon Nest, etc...

• Coltaine00Coltaine00 Calgary, ABPosts: 52Member
    I find it amusing that if they released something very similar to 'old UO' with a couple tweaks and graphics updates, it would be called innovative.

UO's Mage Combat was the ultimate blend of twitch, reaction and RPG style gameplay it was a game where skill could be measured in 1v1 duels, in some ways we are going back to it.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 oasisPosts: 2,040Member Uncommon

FPS is one of the oldest game genres and melding that with an MMO would be innovative?

TBH, I feel that FPS just doesn't have a place online yet.    At least not until a developer or infrastructure makes latency meaningless.

• ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 7,907Member Uncommon

Hm, I am not so sure. I know there are some here who complain about tab target as "same old", and partially I can understand that. But also I remember very well, one of the most cited critique against the NGE of SWG was, that they took tab targetting away, and suddenly players had to aim. It is apparently something many MMORPG gamers do not like so much or find exhausting.

Also, if you force the player to aim, you must automatically limit the number of skills and powers, because people just can not aim AND select between 40 different powers. So it makes the character development sort of limited. See DCU and it's 6 powers you have.

So I see that with a laughing and a crying eye. Not sure what I really want here. But too much "FPS" will exhaust and partially just overwhelm me, since I mostly prefer a bit more relaxing combat and not always like standing on my toes.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert