Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stationary bosses are stationary

Comments

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Originally posted by mazut

Originally posted by Master10K

All the Press seem to mistake the Task (basically one-time choirs), for actual Dynamic Events. There may be an achievement for completed Dynamic Events but I've yet to see it.

Dont thay reset? I think you can do this over and over if you want or I'm wrong?

I believe (don't have the time to look for the sources right now, I should be working, so I might be remembering something I read wrong) the heart things work mostly like regular quests in other MMOs, as in, a one time only thing to do. The difference with other MMOs is that you don't need to talk to someone to start doing them. IIRC the reward usually are thigns like an NPC that was indiferent to you becoming a vendor, unlocking a waypoint you can teleport to and things like that.

I see. I missed that info, cheers

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

*snip*

Will specifies it. The hearts are events, the 790 is points of interest yes, and another symbol is skill points challenges.

I get the feeling you and the other guy got from my post that these were the only events in the game, when I specifically stated this didn't account for all of them. The betas aren't complete and those numbers, none of them, likely account for anything in the Sylvari/Asura areas. Hearts are all interactive nodes involving events, they're what you are guided to as stated by Anet themselves when you speak with scouts, for people who feel like they're lost in the sauce and don't know where to go to start participating.

No one attack you, dont worry. But I couldnt react differently :D

I couldnt be sure if this "points of interests" are actually the DEs, but I think they wont show howmany you have dont cus this will take the fun and part of the surprise. I dont want to know owmany events I havent seen yet. I hope I'm right

Those are "Points of Interest", not Dynamic Events. When in doubt, check the wiki. image

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I couldnt be sure if this "points of interests" are actually the DEs, but I think they wont show howmany you have dont cus this will take the fun and part of the surprise. I dont want to know owmany events I havent seen yet. I hope I'm right

Naw I didn't feel attacked, no worries. I don't think points of interest are DE's, the hearts are. In TotalBiscuits video, the heart value was almost 700, but in the MMORPG.com video its only in the 200's, so honestly I have no clue what's going on there. Like I said, my guess is that the number grows as you come across more areas (ie: clear the fog of war) and Anet mentioned over 1k so that seems to make the most sense.

Points of Interest are something else entirely:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Point_of_interest

They're just literally what they say, interesting areas people can stumble across. You get a bit of exp and a map marker when you find one, but otherwise I don't see much info about them.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by Jetrpg

Originally posted by Ankur

The super big bosses are rather stationary, in turn their effects, spawns etc. are not. There are a lot of different abilities and strats for bosses however.

I have not seen a new mmo  that has very active bosses , plus regularly use of different combat styles.

Rifts bosses are pretty active and move around a lot.

rift bosses are jokes, they are not the giant bosses please compare them to the last raids bosses ... most of which are stationary.

i find many of the lower content and smaller bosses (even rift bosses are stationary when actually fighting them.

Pretty much same as i see in GW2 (as many of the dungeons and de bosses are very mobile , just not all and most giant bosses are stationary)

Again don't try to change the subject. You said you haven't see any new MMO implement moving bosses so i gave you an example. Now whther you think that bosses are joke or not wasn't the main point. Do these bosses move around from their spawn bosses? yes the do.

HK bosses were one of the toughest before they got nerfed and they moved around and were the msot challneging bosses to beat.

Yeah but do they move when fighting them?

I mean come on you care about when they sit on the map but not when you fight them, give me a break.

Yes they do move when you are fighting them. You can just google videos of Rift high end dungeons and see it for yourself. Some of the HK bosses make up for very dynamic fights. But really i don' know what else you meant by 'active bosses'. Atleast they are lot more active than what we saw in this video of GW2.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

RIFT is over a year old now. Lets compare the dynamic combat of GW2 to its most recent competitor. That would be TERA.. Where boss fights are active, Dynamic. Positioning means everything.  Moving around keeps you alive. The BAMs and bosses will chase you, turn and fight others. It keeps you on your toes.

Now on the Plus side GWs dynamic event system is much more desired than quest grinding. So each game has its merits. I will be drawing my on conclusion as to what I am going to stick with after I give each a bit of time. The dungeons in TERA are also topnotch. Dont know as much about the GW2 ones, but i am excited to find out.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

The answer here is obvious.

They've made the bigger bosses as mobile as they can (such as the Shatterer flying around a lot), but ultimately they can't have the boss move far from where they're supposed to be. Why? It's another anti-griefing tactic, and one that I'm pleased with. Think about it... if you drag a boss into a nearby settlement, you're ruining someone's day.

It's just a necessary evil. Until you can trust people to not do that with bosses (and there will always be someone), your only option is to keep them relatively stationary.

I get that bosses are cliche in this game and genre.

But those in fear of having their day ruined:

1. They'll die once, then can move on, worst case. Not the stuff ruined days are made of.

2. They should appreciated the dynamics of it all.

We cannot worry about players that thin skinned. That's what random is made for.

But forgotten is all enemies that I am aware of have their own zone, if they are dragged out, they'll run back in. Common fair for the genre.

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Naw I didn't feel attacked, no worries. I don't think points of interest are DE's, the hearts are. In TotalBiscuits video, the heart value was almost 700, but in the MMORPG.com video its only in the 200's, so honestly I have no clue what's going on there. Like I said, my guess is that the number grows as you come across more areas (ie: clear the fog of war) and Anet mentioned over 1k so that seems to make the most sense.

Points of Interest are something else entirely:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Point_of_interest

They're just literally what they say, interesting areas people can stumble across. You get a bit of exp and a map marker when you find one, but otherwise I don't see much info about them.

I decided to check out TotalBiscuit's video and the Heart value is the same 215. That 700 something value refers to Points of Interest, like the lumber camp he was next to. And look, the Wiki tells you exactly what those values mean and they are not Dynamic Events. As far as I know there is no value to track how many Dynamic Events you've completed (might be one in the Achievements Pane but not the map).

Also read this. She even mentions that people mistake Hearts for Dynamic Events.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Size does matter.

In GW2 the super-sized bosses tend to be stationary... they'd said this was to make the boss fighting mechanics viable. If the Shatterer, for example, decides to chase some nub off into the forest then what... do you have trees affecting the movement, getting destroyed, what additional dynamics do you need to code for, and did you get every possible one? What about people carting the Shatter to the Black Citadel, for example? Tequatl, a major part of that fight is the Asuran laser-like weapons. Those are stationary... if Tequatl decides to go jogging for a bit the whole mechanic of the fight is hosed. Then there's other problems, for example guardian impenetrable walls. They'd become useless in a boss fight when it can step over it and smack you from behind, where now they can block attacks and stop adds.

Stationary mega-bosses allow for fun, engaging fights without a crapload of problems you'd introduce if they were all mobile.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

The super big bosses are rather stationary, in turn their effects, spawns etc. are not. There are a lot of different abilities and strats for bosses however.

I have not seen a new mmo  that has very active bosses , plus regularly use of different combat styles.

Rifts bosses are pretty active and move around a lot.

rift bosses are jokes, they are not the giant bosses please compare them to the last raids bosses ... most of which are stationary.

i find many of the lower content and smaller bosses (even rift bosses are stationary when actually fighting them.

Pretty much same as i see in GW2 (as many of the dungeons and de bosses are very mobile , just not all and most giant bosses are stationary)

Again don't try to change the subject. You said you haven't see any new MMO implement moving bosses so i gave you an example. Now whther you think that bosses are joke or not wasn't the main point. Do these bosses move around from their spawn bosses? yes the do.

HK bosses were one of the toughest before they got nerfed and they moved around and were the msot challneging bosses to beat.

Yeah but do they move when fighting them?

I mean come on you care about when they sit on the map but not when you fight them, give me a break.

Yes they do move when you are fighting them. You can just google videos of Rift high end dungeons and see it for yourself. Some of the HK bosses make up for very dynamic fights. But really i don' know what else you meant by 'active bosses'. Atleast they are lot more active than what we saw in this video of GW2.

I played HK my guild was one of the few to go anywhere in it pre nerf (2nd round). I think i know what i am talkign about , i seriously doubt you do.

PS rift boss hardly move when beign tanked, if you tanks / healer/ dps w/e suck and you all die sure it will move then.

Murd- is kited. So i guess he is not stationary, but doesn't move on his own (ex. tera at least has bosses that move as a part of gameplay)

Marton 0 movement

Zilas 0 movement

sic - slow kite, boss doesn't is stationary for all accounts.

Molenar actually does move, but its mainly just a kite. agian

Vlad- mini boss no movement (rofl we did zila matron and sic easier than him the first attempts on each - bad strat for the lose)

estrode - 0 movement

Gru - Cheer he is actually mobile i give you this one, from the knockbacks to the tunnel.

Garauken (say it like a streetfighter plz) - 0 movement

inwar- id call it moble just cuz of the repeated kiting in various direction/activities he does- but still for the bosses part hes mainly just kited in a small circle so maybe not ... nope let say another one where the boss himself is stationary unless moved. (and largle fought in the same spot) - never seen hime killed

Stoped before geting to ak .. but from what i hear he doesn't move really. phase changed ... ok.

If movement of a player = active then dodge aoe abilities and picking up add/ objective = that. And gw2 has at least as much of this as rift (but what do you expect you can move and cast).

As far as teer goes i agree the bosses move the most by far in this game, but at the same time 80% of boss abilities are the same dam moves (3-4). But the same may be true of GW2, i have not see enought i mean if you dodge all aoe abilities the same in gw2 i guess that would be the same.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by mrshroom89

<snip>

So whats so different from wow here?  i see danger spots on the ground, i see adds spawning from either portals or out of water, a few abilities that appear to be on timers that require the player to react somwhat quickly, some positioning AOEs and 20 people standing around 1 giant mob repeatedly attacking it not actually doing anything to it other than widdling down an hp bar.

<snip>

For starters, they aren't locked away in a raid dungeon for the exclusive enjoyment of a handful of players.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

As I said a while back I think it would be pretty amazing if they had a world boss battle where the boss is walking to a city to destroy it. The path it takes would destroy some smaller villages etc. The whole point is to take it down before it reaches and destroys the city. Maybe in the future?

Originally posted by Xzen

As I said a while back I think it would be pretty amazing if they had a world boss battle where the boss is walking to a city to destroy it. The path it takes would destroy some smaller villages etc. The whole point is to take it down before it reaches and destroys the city. Maybe in the future?

Maybe one of the those huge Cyclops, like at the end of the Gamesom Trailer, will do that. But I doubt you'd ever see these ridiculously huge Event bosses (like the Shadow Behemoth) moving about. In the end I don't mind that, when really the toughest bosses are like this and them moving about and being untankable, makes them a pain in the ass. image

• e1eplayere1eplayer Member UncommonPosts: 23

I decided to check out TotalBiscuit's video and the Heart value is the same 215. That 700 something value refers to Points of Interest, like the lumber camp he was next to. And look, the Wiki tells you exactly what those values mean and they are not Dynamic Events. As far as I know there is no value to track how many Dynamic Events you've completed (might be one in the Achievements Pane but not the map).

Also read this. She even mentions that people mistake Hearts for Dynamic Events.

Thank you for these links!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Most of the time this is due to engines and not wanting to break them. This has always been the case in MMO's with extremely large mobs. Find me an exception...

Krayts are a bad example BTW... They're not extremely large on the other hand look at AT-AT's in old SWG for a reason why most companies don't have things like that walking around.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by Xzen

Maybe one of the those huge Cyclops, like at the end of the Gamesom Trailer, will do that. But I doubt you'd ever see these ridiculously huge Event bosses (like the Shadow Behemoth) moving about. In the end I don't mind that, when really the toughest bosses are like this and them moving about and being untankable, makes them a pain in the ass. image

Nah you could totaly have an event where you set up cannons or assist npcs that try to slow down the large boss along the route.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

So all we do is stay in an are and just pew pew stuff with my bow unltil its health disappears.... They should have made the bosses unscripted because unpredictablity is much more fun than predictability.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Distopia

Most of the time this is due to engines and not wanting to break them. This has always been the case in MMO's with extremely large mobs. Find me an exception...

Krayts are a bad example BTW... They're not extremely large on the other hand look at AT-AT's in old SWG for a reason why most companies don't have things like that walking around.

So I'm going off on a complete tangent here but so what. One of my biggest disappointments in SWTOR was going to Hoth and not being able to replicate any sort of big battle against the AT-ATs. I wanted to relive my ESB fantasies and that never happened :(

I know I know, different timeline and all but damn, I wanted to destroy an AT-AT.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

@HorrorScope

You're missing the point.

The reason that ArenaNet aren't allowing people to grief with mobs is because they aren't allowing people to grief period. Any means by which people do this will be quickly patched out, if people make an arse out of themselves then they're likely going to get banned.

This is a game about player camaraderie and cooperation.

If I had the choice between mobile dragons or having no methods of griefing in the game, I'd choose the latter. See, it would be hypocritical of them to stop people griefing in one way, but allow it in antoher. They have to put the kibosh on all sorts of griefing equally. And I'm fine with that.

When you look at many of their choices, there's this subconscious torrent behind it - the desire to remove inter-player competition in PvE and to eradicate griefing. I'm fine with that. I completely support that. I would speak for hours vehemently and passionately about how okay I am with that.

And really, like I said, it's a choice.

You may disagree with me, but I think they made the right choice.

@Unlight

Yeah. Pretty much. I smile whenever I see people noticing that.

Raids are locked away, exclusive content for people in raiding guilds. Often, I dislike raiding guilds because they're very sneery, they look down on the have-nots, and to get into even a half-decent raiding guild you have to beg your way in. I've never done that, because I have my dignity, but I can't help but despise games that do that. It's despicable.

ArenaNet are changing things up by removing the exclusivity of it all. There's no exclusive content any more. That's fantastic!

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647

Long ago i called anet out on this, they said the technology of their game engine limited their large sized bosses from being able to move around.

I said that wasn't very innovative or trying to break the mold, for one of the key elements to PvE (the big boss encounter) they said to watch videos and tell them they are innovative, I said they weren't being innovative and they were settling for a lower standard, they said watch the videos and praise their game, I said no, then they said "darn it this one isn't a fanboi".

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Originally posted by mrshroom89

The whole "X Y is X" phrasing is absolutely moronic.

As to your topic,  I agree with the decision to make bosses accessible instead of doing the same damn thing that other MMO companies do.  I wouldn't play the game if it was the same as World of Warcraft with regards to raiding and a gear treadmill.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

who said boss fights aren't going to be similar to WoW with mechanics that are in WoW?

heres a couple differences though ...

1) they will be open world and will scale depending on how many show up, unlike in other games where a guild "locks" the encounter and outsiders can only watch.

2) everyone gets rewarded, again not like other games where only that guild gets the loot and only gets a few pieces of loot.

3) no main tank or healers - so on player wont be wacking on the shatterers toe and he just focuses on that player and ignores everyone else.

and the loot will be primarily looks oriented, meaning while they have stats on them you can get gear that has similar stats from other areas of the game (crafting, PVP).  no more "i need to kill X boss to get Y item so i can complete my uber killing gear and pwn everyone in PVP".

sorry thats going to come down to more of your skill than epic purplez.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by Distopia

So I'm going off on a complete tangent here but so what. One of my biggest disappointments in SWTOR was going to Hoth and not being able to replicate any sort of big battle against the AT-ATs. I wanted to relive my ESB fantasies and that never happened :(

I know I know, different timeline and all but damn, I wanted to destroy an AT-AT.

Yeah hehe, I know what you mean, I had the same disappointed feeling myself on hoth.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

It's really hard to tell w/ the dragons TBH.

The shatterer is one of the bosses that I know of that is actually meant to be stationary.

With the dragons, though, it could just be an old build (not coded yet), it could be the fact that they have a dozen or so players right up next to them (so the aggro mechanics for the dragons just has them focused on the players up front), it could also just be that, because they spawn crap all over the battlefield; anet just thinks that it would be too much for players to deal with (having a giant boss roaming around as well as all the minions & spawns that riddle the battlefield.

Either way, I would agree that it would be nice to see some more roaming from the giant bosses.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Arenanet have said they don't want people training bosses around as a griefing mechanism, so there will be a leash. However, they have also said that combat introduces more involved and varied boss and mob AI as you go higher in level. Game features, combat elements and concepts for character development are layered on over the first 50 levels or so, so you can learn the game in it's many layers before you start to be expected to grasp it all for successful play.

It's very possible that big bosses will get a bit more mobile in the higher level zones. (I seem to remember reference to some higher level meta-events that could feature a boss that rampages accross a portion of the zone).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

*Sigh* Since some kind moderator decided to delete my post on terms of NDA  violation, I'm going to repost this whit the note that I played the game during the G*Star DEMO last year and I am in fact NOT breaking any NDA.

Yes, sadly the largest bosses are stationary. However, that hardly means you can just stay behind and watch his health go down. I couldn't even get in range of the Shatterer to attack him, since he practically one-shot me with one of those crystal cells he summons and there weren't enough people around to distract him while someone else had to break me out of the thing.

And to whoever asked for the additional abilities, bosses get when more people are involved:

The Broodmother (the level 3 drake mini boss) has only the Fire Breath attack when fighting against a low number of players (which also happened in my case since I was 1v1-ing with her), however I've seen videos of her using her Tail Swipe attack to throw around players when the group was larger.