Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 'Microtransactions Should Unite the Community'

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Mephster

I guess I thought ArenaNet would never stoop to offering xp, faction rep and magic find boosters like most other cash shops do.  I dont have any issues buying extra character slots, costumes or bag storage but offering boosters is just wrong.

I don't agree. I saw that cash shop leak and saw nothing essential that didn't drop/wasn't purchaseable in game as well (boosters and keys are gotten in-game, character slots/costumes/ress stones not at all essential). I'm glad the boosters are there, it's something the average player would never spend money on because getting exp/karma/items is already ridiculously easy. The only people that will spend that money and thus fund more development are the ones that only play a little here and there between work and family, and want to keep up with their friends. Once again, not necessary thanks to scaling up/down, but still people will buy those scrolls.

If anything, I'm more concerned that the cash shop isn't going to make Anet enough money once people realize how irrelevant everything in there is.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Ekiim

Man poor people like to whine a lot. Get a friggin job and get off the welfare, geesh.

many people against the cash shop would prefer a monthly sub.  truth is, a cash shop is a way to make MORE money than a monthly sub, while allowing many more people to play the game.  They know eventually most people who play long enough will spend money.

The thing that's most upsetting to me is how anet said they wouldn't have to do this, that box price was all they needed.  I was skeptical and was shouted down by fanboys.  Now that this happens, I complain and I'm still shouted down by fanboys.  Just can't win.

Originally posted by adam_nox

Man poor people like to whine a lot. Get a friggin job and get off the welfare, geesh.

many people against the cash shop would prefer a monthly sub.  truth is, a cash shop is a way to make MORE money than a monthly sub, while allowing many more people to play the game.  They know eventually most people who play long enough will spend money.

The thing that's most upsetting to me is how anet said they wouldn't have to do this, that box price was all they needed.  I was skeptical and was shouted down by fanboys.  Now that this happens, I complain and I'm still shouted down by fanboys.  Just can't win.

Point out just one thing in that item mall that you "have" to buy in order to play at the same level as everyone else. Just one.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Point out just one thing in that item mall that you "have" to buy in order to play at the same level as everyone else. Just one.

Better do your research.  RvRvR advantages can be increased by $$$ spent.  But the pay2win aspects aren't necessarily the worst part.  I think the "mystic key" is the most crass thing in my opinion.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Better do your research.  RvRvR advantages can be increased by $$$ spent.  But the pay2win aspects aren't necessarily the worst part.  I think the "mystic key" is the most crass thing in my opinion.

Hmmm, if that's the case. Maybe I WILL make this game P2P.
    heheh.
    Many people don't understand...In many games, the power to be had is in fact NOT in the cash shop.
    It's in the game. Everyone has access to the same stuff.

But it's in the "Items of convenience" that help Cash Shop players use the items of power more conveniently.

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

You should do your research, there's nothing in that item mall that gives you an advantage in WvWvW. Stop avoiding the questions, if you have an issue with something point out the specific thing. All the people whining keep throwing out vague, general notions as a catch-all net but never have anything specific to point out. I've actually seen the leak, have you? Not a single thing there is specific to PvP and nothing gives you an advantage in The Mists. The only thing you could possibly be referring to is exp scrolls you help you level faster, than give you a boost to exp for 1 hour, woiuld be phenomenally expensive to use all the way to level cap, AND I could give you a video of someone who doesn't even have all his skill slots open completely dominating others in WvWvW, cementing the idea this is all based on skill.

Not only are you calling it "RvRvR" but you're evidently unaware those mystic keys are dropped/purchasable ingame as well. I doubt I'm the one that needs to do more reading.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

It's funny that people in p2p or f2p games expect that just playing the game hours on end support the games ongoing development. You want to play you pay somehow some way content does not grow on trees and people do not work for free. If you don't have the funds or refuse to purchase items fine just don't bitch about it just be thankful someone doing it. Personally I like options and microtransactions gives you that.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Thank for the Article, it surelly quells some of the controversy going on about Microtransactions in GW2 :)

As long as they stick to these principles we are fine, and many players will be having fun in GW2.

The main concern here is Power selling of course in PvP, leveling Speed Enhancements or even Stat Buffs for PVE etc...are not an issue.

Just please Leave PvP alone so it is seen as Fair to all and thus Fun to all.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by KingGator

Somehow they've convinced you all that  b2p but really they're selling you a F2P game. It is madness. How do you not get this?

Quality is the word that answers that one, go look at any free title and see the roadblocks deliberately placed to make you use the shop, enjoy the mechanics that only work effectively when you've paid, enjoy the runs to the dungeons that are severely limited either by access or power to play items, enjoy the generally poor graphics in a world that hardly ever makes any sense and enjoy the limited (and often gender locked) character creation, that is f2p my friend, there's enough of them out there, go take a look.

The quality of Gw2 pits it way above any title built as F2P that I can think of and plants it firmly in the realms of sub based triple A titles except it has no sub.

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Originally posted by mmoDAD

It all depends on the balance. If it takes Hardcore Player A an entire week of mob killing to earn a certain cape OR Softcore Player B $5.00 via Paypal, then the balance is bs.

MicroTransactions is the worst thing that has ever happened to gaming. However, I can eat here simple because there is no monthly fee.

Totally disagree that it's BS in this instance.

You want that special magic sword? Two choices.

Play for a week to get it 

OR Pay 5US.

Two choices. You choose. Those that enjoy grinding for items can continue to do so, and those that do not can pay.

The only way that your position makes any sense, is if you consider the "Hardcore" player to be doing an action that is not enjoyable, difficult, and not fun. 

A lot of complaining about people that believe everyone shoudl suffer as they have suffered, and who actually equate whatever they have been doing in their "games" with work and suffering...equating it with difficulty.  If that's what it is, why are you even playing?

How can two paths to the same destination be problematic? I think it awesome that there are those who will stand beside me decked out and able to fight at peak ability, regardless of how they got their items. 

And I WOULD buy XP boosts etc. when leveling an Alt or more than one Alt to have different choices at the end -game content. 

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

i guess this is the first time you all are finding out that GW2 was going to have microtransactions? must be with all the crying on this forum.

what did you think they were going to sell? stuff that no one wants? this game isn't about stats or "uber l33t gear" its going to help but your skill will be the determining factor on whether you win or lose a fight.

want your "epic purplez" go play WoW or any other MMO that has been released in the last 3 years.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by gondor2220

Guys stop being so butt hurt over micro transactions, its this or p2p there is no feasible way of keeping the game alive if they are only making revenue from the actual purchase of the sale whilst keeping it f2p, they are keeping f2p as they want people to transfer easily from gw1, that game had micro-transactions and from what i saw it was just cosmetics.

Above i saw a coment about it maybe taking a week for a hardcore player to get a cape, whilst a softcore player could get it for £5, This is fine in my opinion if its just a cosmetic, from what ive seen they are trying to not make it pay to win, which i trust them not to.

A week of grinding for a cape is a choice of the player and yes i guess it gets rid of the sense of achievement when you see people with the cape who just simply bought it. But you should still feel a personal sense of achievement and not care of how other people acquired it, you would be showing a sense of jealousy and this is why the online community is so harsh towards eachother, its because they see other people more successful then them or with better items/gear then them and automatically lash out on something you feel isn't normal about them.

Overall i believe unless they went p2p (which in the current state of most games is fading away) They will need this microtransaction system to keep the game going, that or you having to pay for each update they release which would otherwise be free.

Then why charge us 60 dollars for the box? other f2p titles seem to make money while not charging for the box. This is what makes it almost offensive. Somehow they've convinced you all that  b2p but really they're selling you a F2P game. It is madness. How do you not get this?

Other F2P titles are complete shit.

I have  yet to see a game of this quality be F2P.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Haters and fanboi's aside, NO ONE KNOWS what will REALLY be in the cash shop when it launches, saying "we are in for a special treat" is a line of crap, are you part of the CS dev team? no you are not, and neither am i, maybee it is a P2W game, honestly i don't care, i do know one thing, what ever is in the CS i will buy to support ANet, ONLY if the game is good, cause if it IS good, then they deserve a payday beyond box sales, other than that all these forums after forums after forums are SPECULATIONS from BOTH sides of the fence. Give me a picture of the CS that ANet said, "Yes, THIS is what will be in our CS", then i will believe what ever case it is. Only reason i doubt it is P2W is ANet keeps saying over and over what their "goal" is for the CS. but it seems only pro-GW2 people can actually find those sentences, yes i'm excited for GW2, no i'm not pro cash shop, im a little worried, BUT it's not like it's EA we are talking about, so i can give ANet a little bit of credibility.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by Gel214th

It all depends on the balance. If it takes Hardcore Player A an entire week of mob killing to earn a certain cape OR Softcore Player B $5.00 via Paypal, then the balance is bs.

MicroTransactions is the worst thing that has ever happened to gaming. However, I can eat here simple because there is no monthly fee.

Totally disagree that it's BS in this instance.

You want that special magic sword? Two choices.

Play for a week to get it 

OR Pay 5US.

Two choices. You choose. Those that enjoy grinding for items can continue to do so, and those that do not can pay.

The only way that your position makes any sense, is if you consider the "Hardcore" player to be doing an action that is not enjoyable, difficult, and not fun. 

A lot of complaining about people that believe everyone shoudl suffer as they have suffered, and who actually equate whatever they have been doing in their "games" with work and suffering...equating it with difficulty.  If that's what it is, why are you even playing?

How can two paths to the same destination be problematic? I think it awesome that there are those who will stand beside me decked out and able to fight at peak ability, regardless of how they got their items. 

And I WOULD buy XP boosts etc. when leveling an Alt or more than one Alt to have different choices at the end -game content. 

Your argument is flawed from the beginning. Cosmetic Gear does not influence stats.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

Guys stop being so butt hurt over micro transactions, its this or p2p there is no feasible way of keeping the game alive if they are only making revenue from the actual purchase of the sale whilst keeping it f2p, they are keeping f2p as they want people to transfer easily from gw1, that game had micro-transactions and from what i saw it was just cosmetics.

Above i saw a coment about it maybe taking a week for a hardcore player to get a cape, whilst a softcore player could get it for £5, This is fine in my opinion if its just a cosmetic, from what ive seen they are trying to not make it pay to win, which i trust them not to.

A week of grinding for a cape is a choice of the player and yes i guess it gets rid of the sense of achievement when you see people with the cape who just simply bought it. But you should still feel a personal sense of achievement and not care of how other people acquired it, you would be showing a sense of jealousy and this is why the online community is so harsh towards eachother, its because they see other people more successful then them or with better items/gear then them and automatically lash out on something you feel isn't normal about them.

Overall i believe unless they went p2p (which in the current state of most games is fading away) They will need this microtransaction system to keep the game going, that or you having to pay for each update they release which would otherwise be free.

Then why charge us 60 dollars for the box? other f2p titles seem to make money while not charging for the box. This is what makes it almost offensive. Somehow they've convinced you all that  b2p but really they're selling you a F2P game. It is madness. How do you not get this?

It's not a rpg with a fixed amount of play time, it's a mmo. So with your thinking for $60 you should play for years?

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by mikuniman

It's funny that people in p2p or f2p games expect that just playing the game hours on end support the games ongoing development. You want to play you pay somehow some way content does not grow on trees and people do not work for free. If you don't have the funds or refuse to purchase items fine just don't bitch about it just be thankful someone doing it. Personally I like options and microtransactions gives you that.

EXACTLY, it might be F2P but it isnt FREE TO DEVELOPE, it seems a lot of people just don't understand, just cause it is F2P doesnt make it another browser game, this game is big, big takes time, and time costs money, i know i want to get paid for my time at work.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

I would guess most of the rage comes from those who feel scorned and not to long ago were preaching how you can easily have a B2P MMO, referencing GW2.

His comment on uniting the community is putting together those who can afford to pay and those who cannot.  If the game was pay to play, then like mentioned, not everyone would be able to play.  With the gem transfer system, it allows everyone to play and truley get everything, regardless if it is in the cash shop or not.

At present it really isn't P2W as much as Pay 2 Advantage.   However, it will truley set itself apart from the rest if the expansions can be purchased with gems.  I believe at that stage the concept of uniting the have and have nots will really shine as it comes closer to EVE's system of selling game time.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by deziwright

sorry anet you made nearly an identical model to that of Runes of Magic. Don't turn yourself into frogster. You have failed us with this design. Defend yourself all you want. We would have preffered p2p.

Don't use "we". Use "I". Thank you very much.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Somehow they've convinced you all that  b2p but really they're selling you a F2P game. It is madness. How do you not get this?

That's the most hilarious part of this whole debacle.

Want even more humor? Look up all these fanboys' post history, and look how many of them were bashing cash shop games and  cash shop items of ANY KIND, yet now it is ok because Guild Wars 2 is doing it, lol. Some of them were going HARD against Runes of Magic and STO, yet now it is ok.

Pure comedy.

Im no hater or fanboy. I am a grown adult, I seen too many games get overhyped. I now know better.

I will probably play GW2 for a bit, then shelf it like I did with GW1. If it is fun I'll continue to play, if not I will move on. From everything I have read it seems I probably will not like GW2, but I will at least give it a shot. Unfortunately these fanboys give GW2 and its players a BAD name with their blind rampant 2-face loyalty.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by caremuchless

Other F2P titles are complete shit.

I have  yet to see a game of this quality be F2P.

ER, most other F2P titles don't ask you to pay up to 60 bucks just to try the game either, so better quality is certainly expected in the B2P model.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

In a P2P MMO the grind for that cape will not be any shorter, it will most likely be worse. In a P2P MMO they will make it so that a hardcore player grinds for the cape for 2 weeks whereas a "softcore" player will never get it. Hardcore player stays subbed = company is happy => longer grinds.

Originally posted by thedarkess

Gw2 has a cash shop. DEAL WITH IT! or gtfo ->

Couldn't have said it better. If you don't like it, crappy grindy MMOs for no lifers this way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by wolvards

Haters and fanboi's aside, NO ONE KNOWS what will REALLY be in the cash shop when it launches, saying "we are in for a special treat" is a line of crap, are you part of the CS dev team? no you are not, and neither am i, maybee it is a P2W game, honestly i don't care, i do know one thing, what ever is in the CS i will buy to support ANet, ONLY if the game is good, cause if it IS good, then they deserve a payday beyond box sales, other than that all these forums after forums after forums are SPECULATIONS from BOTH sides of the fence. Give me a picture of the CS that ANet said, "Yes, THIS is what will be in our CS", then i will believe what ever case it is. Only reason i doubt it is P2W is ANet keeps saying over and over what their "goal" is for the CS. but it seems only pro-GW2 people can actually find those sentences, yes i'm excited for GW2, no i'm not pro cash shop, im a little worried, BUT it's not like it's EA we are talking about, so i can give ANet a little bit of credibility.

No its not EA were talking about, but then again its not like Anet has the final say in the matter either. That balls in NcSoft court if the cash shop doesn't bring in enough money in its current state. If people who spend cash don't feel their getting enough bang for their buck they will force changes to the cash shop. NcSoft cash shops outside of GW tend not to share the same values Anet is preaching.

Anet can talk about their goals all day long, but NcSoft has goals of their own. And since they own Anet, NcSoft goals> Anet goals. And its pretty hard not to see NcSoft's influence in the current leaked items.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by evicton

Originally posted by wolvards

No its not EA were talking about, but then again its not like Anet has the final say in the matter either. That balls in NcSoft court if the cash shop doesn't bring in enough money in its current state. If people who spend cash don't feel their getting enough bang for their buck they will force changes to the cash shop. NcSoft cash shops outside of GW tend not to share the same values Anet is preaching.

Anet can talk about their goals all day long, but NcSoft has goals of their own. And since they own Anet, NcSoft goals> Anet goals. And its pretty hard not to see NcSoft's influence in the current leaked items.

That's simply not true. NCSoft has owned ArenaNet since the very beginning. YET ArenaNet did a fantastic job with GW1.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by Jojin

At present it really isn't P2W as much as Pay 2 Advantage.   However, it will truley set itself apart from the rest if the expansions can be purchased with gems.  I believe at that stage the concept of uniting the have and have nots will really shine as it comes closer to EVE's system of selling game time.

I definitely agree with EVE's plex system.   It has been around awhile, and no one else has implented anything like it.   Probably one of the most innovative features in any P2P MMO.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Originally posted by fivoroth

Originally posted by thedarkess

Gw2 has a cash shop. DEAL WITH IT! or gtfo ->

Couldn't have said it better. If you don't like it, crappy grindy MMOs for no lifers this way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

/

/   | 

|

|

Guild Wars 2: 'Microtransactions Should Unite the Community

true that.

Let's internet