Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stationary bosses are stationary

mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

So far every big boss fight i have seen in the world for these dynamic events have stood in one place, not moving from their spawn location once.  The dragons will fly up in the air for a few seconds and then just land on the ground in the same exact place...

So whats so different from wow here?  i see danger spots on the ground, i see adds spawning from either portals or out of water, a few abilities that appear to be on timers that require the player to react somwhat quickly, some positioning AOEs and 20 people standing around 1 giant mob repeatedly attacking it not actually doing anything to it other than widdling down an hp bar.

Obviously it all looks alot better (10 years later it better)  than wow but thats not what im getting at.  Simply put it appears that though Anet has stated there going away from traditional mmo models it appears that boss fights havnt changed one bit.

Examples of 3 boss fights 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5RpX9oAaSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1JfSbKjHHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kFKFqzRhXKs#!

C

Comments

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

I said exactly the same thing on one of the recent video. Hard to say if it changes as you go to higher level but for now it is like hitting a pinata. Even though the raid itself looked lot of fun.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

The super big bosses are rather stationary, in turn their effects, spawns etc. are not. There are a lot of different abilities and strats for bosses however.

I have not seen a new mmo  that has very active bosses , plus regularly use of different combat styles.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

what?  Because boss fights spawn adds and some are stationary you are saying this game is like WoW??

uh.. Yes you have Weapons in this game. Yes you can Name your character. Yes there are Cities.  Yes you have levels. Yes there are bosses that you fight.

This is after all an MMO. They are not reinventing the wheel. Its just not the Quest grind, tree speccing, gear tredmill, dungeon lobby grabage we are all a custom too.

So yes there will be things that are simular.        Like you have an inventory.......

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by mrshroom89

So far every big boss fight i have seen in the world for these dynamic events have stood in one place, not moving from their spawn location once.  The dragons will fly up in the air for a few seconds and then just land on the ground in the same exact place...

So whats so different from wow here?  i see danger spots on the ground, i see adds spawning from either portals or out of water, a few abilities that appear to be on timers that require the player to react somwhat quickly, some positioning AOEs and 20 people standing around 1 giant mob repeatedly attacking it not actually doing anything to it other than widdling down an hp bar.

Obviously it all looks alot better (10 years later it better)  than wow but thats not what im getting at.  Simply put it appears that though Anet has stated there going away from traditional mmo models it appears that boss fights havnt changed one bit.

I'm just comparing and remembering how fun it was trying to take down those Ancient Krayt Dragons in SWG pre-cu with my guild. Those suckers would move around and chase you all over the place and then alot of the times bring you right into the spawn of another one.

Originally posted by Jetrpg

The super big bosses are rather stationary, in turn their effects, spawns etc. are not. There are a lot of different abilities and strats for bosses however.

I have not seen a new mmo  that has very active bosses , plus regularly use of different combat styles.

Rifts bosses are pretty active and move around a lot.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

for example Rift had zone bosses that chased people and to be honest they looked funny chasing the raid's tank and some times wandered around atking random people and agrooing like a retarded critter. That didnt look so well as well. I get your point but i dont really have an idea to support your argument.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

There's already a bunch of threads on this. And the consesus from those threads is people really don't feel like chasing some giant dragon across the map, it's gimmicky and unnecessarily prolongs the fight. Bosses don't all stay in one place but they're not going to stray far from their spawn spot either. Examples being dungeon fights where bosses chase people around or teleport back and forth between spots and some boss fights in the open world as well.

Also keep in mind that if you look at the most recent videos, they show almost 700 events so far. While not all of those culminate in a giant boss fight, it's a very good indicator that the three you're familiar with are drops in the bucket compared to what you have yet to see.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

How dare you criticize this game?! It has no flaws!

And now seriously: wait until you try it yourself. You may find yourself too busy during combat to even worry about whether the boss is moving around or not.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

some of the huge bosses are stationary, but world the minibosses (i suppose you'd call them that) are mobile. besides. that's three bosses. sure two are from the story, but the meta event boss is from the world. and they have fraktons of DEs and MEs. i can't really see them all being stationary.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Not the stationary bosses again :( /scream

The bosses are what they are and they will never move.

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

There's already a bunch of threads on this. And the consesus from those threads is people really don't feel like chasing some giant dragon across the map, it's gimmicky and unnecessarily prolongs the fight. Bosses don't all stay in one place but they're not going to stray far from their spawn spot either. Examples being dungeon fights where bosses chase people around or teleport back and forth between spots and some boss fights in the open world as well.

Also keep in mind that if you look at the most recent videos, they show almost 700 events so far. While not all of those culminate in a giant boss fight, it's a very good indicator that the three you're familiar with are drops in the bucket compared to what you have yet to see.

i diagree. if anything it adds to challenge. No one i saying that just make the bosses run around like headless chicken. But if done right it adds to challenge and excitement. AC nailed it all those years ago.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Wa..wa wa waaath o.O

haha

They showed 700 of 1500, you crazy!

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by musicmann

Originally posted by mrshroom89

I'm just comparing and remembering how fun it was trying to take down those Ancient Krayt Dragons in SWG pre-cu with my guild. Those suckers would move around and chase you all over the place and then alot of the times bring you right into the spawn of another one.

One of the mmorpg staffers in one of there articles mentioned in the past that two bosses chased them through a big portion of the dungeon as they were retreating before the two bosses stopped to fight each other. It was a spider boss and a giant. I wish I can remember which article it was but it was from the first press beta event I believe. 

Perhaps they changed it in beta because of some issues. Hopefully they will bring it back.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

What's different from WoW in those big boss fights?

Well, some things like:

- there are dynamic events that will influence how a boss fight will go. Make sure the caravans reach  the battle location alright, repair the cannons, and you have a battery of cannons that can be used to handle the adds and join in the boss fight.

- it's out in the open, not in some secluded instance, but part of the open world environment.

- the big boss fights scales, depending on how many players participate. If there are more players involved, more adds will appear, the boss gets sneakier and gains additional attack forms etc. Dynamic scaling to the player numbers involved isn't something like WoW either

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Perhaps there is laxative or Red Bull in the cash shop you can give them.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Well, some things like:

- there are dynamic events that will influence how a boss fight will go. Make sure the caravans reach  the battle location alright, repair the cannons, and you have a battery of cannons that can be used to handle the adds and join in the boss fight.

- it's out in the open, not in some secluded instance, but part of the open world environment.

- the big boss fights scales, depending on how many players participate. If there are more players involved, more adds will appear, the boss gets sneakier and gains additional attack forms etc. Dynamic scaling to the player numbers involved isn't something like WoW either

Please stop making shit up.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Mark of the legion from first video boss loot.

+10 agility

+20 perception

+100 max health

Frostburn 50% chance on critical

+5% crit chance

+10 to all attributes

Just wondering these "stats doesnt matter,,,,there wont be stats ,itsnot pay to win etc "

makes me think " WTB mark of the legion ,20 gems.."

Let's internet

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Ankur

Well, some things like:

Cut your own crap please.

I'm not making stuff up, I'm repeating what ANet devs are saying. Since none of us have played the game in full, sounds like an ok thing to do. If you want to think that ANet devs are full of shit and making shit up, well, your choice.

Originally posted by mazut

Wa..wa wa waaath o.O

haha

They showed 700 of 1500, you crazy!

Nuuu not actually "show" it's like a little indicator on your map screen in the upper left corner that just showed like x/657 events completed, and those are just the ones in the beta and not including asura/sylvari areas so I'm sure there are plenty more. I don't know if the exact number was 1500 but I do remember them mentioning over 1k, yeah.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• makkaalmakkaal Member Posts: 48

You're all so close-minded. See it from the boss' perspective, will ya?

"I possibly don't even have feet, and if I do, I'll sure as hell need them to stabilize my massive, several tons heavy body, and actually it's a miracle that I can stand up straight without every single bone breaking from my own weight.

But I am the embodiment of evil. I am HUGE. I can fit a dozen of those two-legged, cocky maggots inside of my palm. My arm/leg is about as long as they can shoot their arrows and I breathe fire 50 meters wide and 100 meters far. I summon minions at will, every one just as capable as myself of ripping them to shreds.

I'll destroy each and every one of you by merely giving you the evil eye. I don't f***ing HAVE to move in order to pound you walking pieces of nuisance into the dust."

But in all seriousness, this is no deal-braker for me. I agree, movement of a boss can add to the challenge, but I don't see it a necessity if there's other mechanics keeping me on my toes. I don't see how a boss being stationary is bad, neither if that mechanic is similar to WoW.

(edit: pwettie cowors)

Let me point out that, in fact, I couldn't care less about these first world problems. I'm just having fun.

Well, some things like:

Cut your own crap please.

I'm not making stuff up, I'm repeating what ANet devs are saying. Since none of us have played the game in full, sounds like an ok thing to do. If you want to think that ANet devs are full of shit and making shit up, well, your choice.

I still have to see what Anet dev said in any DE video they have showcased so far. This is the best time to show this kind of stuff. 

Well, some things like:

Why so hostile? He's not making anything up, that actually happens. There's a video of a boss fight with a big salamander who gained new attacks and new attack patterns when other people showed up to help. Not sure why you think that's impossible.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

I've always wondered what Bosses thought:

Dragon:

I can fly, but I'll give them a chance and lay low so they could possibly off me. Flying is over rated anyways and really tiring.

Half Spawned Mess:

For the love of hades! If I'm going to be summoned, summon the whole damn thing! I need my f'in legs, even if I were to win this fight, what kind of quality of life am I going to have, stuck to this F'in piece of turf!!!

But face it, it just has to be that way, because. Yes BECAUSE.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Rifts bosses are pretty active and move around a lot.

This doesn't make Rift boss fights any more complex or interesting though. You get same old boring mechanics reused ad infinitum: GTAOE, PBAOE, player-targeted AOE, CC, adds, beams and awareness checks. WoW boss encounters had more variety even in vanilla. On the bright side: it's a good thing Trion didn't try to implement anything complex. They are terrible at it.

---

On topic: stationery (or slow moving) bosses are expectable. Since there are no tanks boss positioning is kind of irrelevant.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

Well, some things like:

Why so hostile? He's not making anything up, that actually happens. There's a video of a boss fight with a big salamander who gained new attacks and new attack patterns when other people showed up to help. Not sure why you think that's impossible.

Ehh? people see hostility in just anything.  I have seen that boss fight you mentioned and the fight more or less remained the same.