Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you planning to buy gems (real money) with gold? Gold with gems (real money)? or Neither?

Comments

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

Neither as I disagree with the concept.  It is not a deal breaker providing ANET keeps its word on what the cash shop will be and its impact on the game, I will just chose not to take part.  

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Personally I would feel MUCH better about the whole cash shop if they removed the selling of gems in game. Just my opinion image

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Melangel

Personally I would feel MUCH better about the whole cash shop if they removed the selling of gems in game. Just my opinion image

I agree :).  I know that GW2 isn't going to be a gear treadmill like many other MMORPGs, but I can't help but think that gold will offer SOME kind of advantage...otherwise it would be pointless.  So I mean, the two options here are either gold is completely pointless, or you can gain some kind of advantage with real money.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Creslin321

Bingo.

I think it's funny there are a lot of posts in this thread basically calling people who will buy gems and trade them for gold "suckers."  But who is more of a sucker?  Someone who grinds for 20 hours to save $5.00, or someone who spends $5.00 to save 20 hours of grinding?  Considering that $5.00 is less than minimum wage...I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

Personally, I'm not going to trade gems for gold just because I like the progression aspect of RPGs and I feel like "paying" for my gold would spoil it (which is incidentally why I don't like this whole idea in the first place).  But I realize who is going to get the better end of this bargain.

You really don't need much money in GW2. The game is not focused on getting gold to get new stuff for.

You can still craft and play the market if you so wish but gold is a lot less useful than in say Wow or EQ. You will do fine with the gold you just get naturally while you play without grinding it forever.

So you could spend real money to get gold of course but what are you to do with it anyways? Besides the runes and new armor while you level up you really don't need much gold besides for repairing stuff.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by Melangel

I agree :).  I know that GW2 isn't going to be a gear treadmill like many other MMORPGs, but I can't help but think that gold will offer SOME kind of advantage...otherwise it would be pointless.  So I mean, the two options here are either gold is completely pointless, or you can gain some kind of advantage with real money.

Indeed AND I would personally NOT have the gems in game in any LEGAL way. They are ALREADY being listed on gold selling websites for GW2 as well as GW2 gold. I googled yesterday to see. Illegal gold/item selling is in probably every game out there, and I prefer to be able to spot with ease peole who have bought their way through illegal means. Add to the fact one must be inconvenienced in order to be "convinced" to pay for a convenience and I am more then a little disappointed with ANet. Still there is time and we will see what happens come release.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

Well, extra character slots and more bank slots are a kind of advantages. So might looking really good be depending on who you ask.

If you want a character that have 20 different outfits you switch between and store the rest on the bank you will have a lot easier time if you spend some gems.

If you on the other hand just like hard dungeons or massive PvP you basically need a little gold to repair and to get new armor every 10 levels or so.

So some people will have some advantages from buying gems of course, but they are not really competetive edvantages.

Originally posted by Loke666

Well, extra character slots and more bank slots are a kind of advantages. So might looking really good be depending on who you ask.

If you want a character that have 20 different outfits you switch between and store the rest on the bank you will have a lot easier time if you spend some gems.

If you on the other hand just like hard dungeons or massive PvP you basically need a little gold to repair and to get new armor every 10 levels or so.

So some people will have some advantages from buying gems of course, but they are not really competetive edvantages.

Yeah, I mean what you consider an "advantage" is all up to personal interpretation.  Personally, I don't mind things that give you access to more characters, offer minor conveniences that are not attainable by just playing the game (like more bank slots), or allow you to pimp out your character cosmetically.  I tend to mind when cash shops offer:

A.  Items that provide a clear power advantage over players that didn't pay.

B.  Items that offer an alternative to grinding (gold for gems, exp scrolls, loot boxes, etc.)

C.  Items that are required to experience certain things in the game world (mystic keys possibly).

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I might get some gems for gold if I feel that i need more character slots or bank space. The rest of the stuff seems useless to me and I will only get those 2 things in worst case scenario.

Things you get for yourself (i.e. gems -> stuffs) you don't even need to exchange for gold... the items shown has gem costs associated to them. So you can buy gems then trade for items... no idea if you can buy them with direct cash though.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Personally; I will definitely be using my disposable income on the cosmetic items, and some of the convenience options, such as the character slots.

I don't see the XP or Karma boosts as an unfair advantage, nor do I see them as neccessary. The one thing I want out of Guild Wars 2 is a new experience, and I believe exploring and finding the various dynamic events currently going on in the area will fulfill that quite nicely if the videos are anything to go by.

I am more than happy to support the game with purchases that offer good player value, and the decision to buy gems is ultimately up to me and that is what I love about the system, because it allows me to determine what I would like to enhance my gaming experience, because I'm not going to be competing with anyone outside of Arena's and Multi-Server Conquest (WvWvW).

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

Use my gold to buy gems (not spend any real money)

I Won't grind to get them though, if i happen to have an overflow of cash through normal play then I'd spend it on gems for something like a costume, i'll never buy any boosters if they still keep them in.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

No, neither.

I will enjoy the game. Not the shop.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Yeah, I mean what you consider an "advantage" is all up to personal interpretation.  Personally, I don't mind things that give you access to more characters, offer minor conveniences that are not attainable by just playing the game (like more bank slots), or allow you to pimp out your character cosmetically.  I tend to mind when cash shops offer:

A.  Items that provide a clear power advantage over players that didn't pay.

B.  Items that offer an alternative to grinding (gold for gems, exp scrolls, loot boxes, etc.)

C.  Items that are required to experience certain things in the game world (mystic keys possibly).

In before the next post that states there will be no grinding in Gw2. I like how the devs go out and post that there will be gold sinks in the game and a large majority of posters still continue to say how useless gold will be. If there are gold sinks one has to consider the possibility that gold will not be useless.

Alot of people go out of their way to state that this game will not have grinds because there is no subs hence they have no incentive to keep people playing. However they want you to keep playing because people who play, pay. They just do it in the cash shop instead of with a sub fee. But the incentive to keep you playing is there. 

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by evicton).

In before the next post that states there will be no grinding in Gw2. I like how the devs go out and post that there will be gold sinks in the game and a large majority of posters still continue to say how useless gold will be. If there are gold sinks one has to consider the possibility that gold will not be useless.

Alot of people go out of their way to state that this game will not have grinds because there is no subs hence they have no incentive to keep people playing. However they want you to keep playing because people who play, pay. They just do it in the cash shop instead of with a sub fee. But the incentive to keep you playing is there. 

We know gold won't be useless. You use it for repairs, blueprints for siege weapons, most likely vendor armors and weapons, the Trading Post, etc. But the point I think that's being made is that gold won't be the "be all and end all" in GW2. There are other currencies. Dungeon tokens will get you armor and weapons. Karma will get you those as well, possibly more. So basically you won't need to be "gold rich" to get what you need in game.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by evicton

Gold isn't useless, what we said was that you earn enough as you play.

GW1 also have money sinks but I never really saw much gold grinding until HoM were added. Now all gold people grind is put into stuff they want there.

There will be grinding in GW2, in some ways a lot grindier than in other MMOs. The difference is that those grinds are optional grind, you don't really need the titles or an obsidian armor, they offer no real advantages. People still get them because they can.

You can't compare that to WoWs raid gear grind which actually improves you a lot.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by evicton).

We know gold won't be useless. You use it for repairs, blueprints for siege weapons, most likely vendor armors and weapons, the Trading Post, etc. But the point I think that's being made is that gold won't be the "be all and end all" in GW2. There are other currencies. Dungeon tokens will get you armor and weapons. Karma will get you those as well, possibly more. So basically you won't need to be "gold rich" to get what you need in game.

While that certainly might be true. There are plenty of posts on here that state otherwise, not the get rich thing. Those are what I was refering to.

Just as there are tons of posts stating there will be no grinds. When there is both the incentive for these currencies to turn into grinds via the cash shop as well as the potential.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by fiontar

Umm...both? How could you forget "Both" from the poll? Come on Creslin, you are off your game today! :)

(BTW, I am sure I will do both, so "not sure" isn't a valid option).

Same here, but I answered 'Not Sure' instead.

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226

I am going to drop hundreds of dollars a month on this game so

I can be  the best!

Around!

Nothing’s gonna ever keep me down

I am the Best!

Around!

Nothing’s gonna ever keep me down

I am the Best!

Around!

Nothing’s gonna ever keep me dow-ow-ow-ho-how-ho-own

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Definitely neither.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Why can't I just buy gems with real money and buy the stuff I want with them? Why must I sell them for gold? Why would I need tons of gold? Are there serious gold sinks in the game that I won't be able to meet by just playing the game a few hours a day?

I guess I should just answer neither then.

imageimage
  • NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

I voted for not sure, but thats only because i thought he did a good job under president gubacho.

On a more serious note, i only see myself buying gems for account service related things, like charachter slots, inventory/account bank, or maybe if i see a armour/weapon skin i just have to have available. Booster, keys, and anything they put in that isnt account services or purely aesthetic, i will never invest in as that would be encouraging the wrong kind of cash shop. If it turns out that i need to buy other things from the cash shop to remain unhampered in game or make the kind of charachter i want, then i will simply quit playing and supporting this game and will make no furthur purchases from it.

• gu357u53rgu357u53r Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by blayugs

Originally posted by gu357u53r

Originally posted by blayugs

Everquest 1 and Everquest 2 already do this.

Players spam the chat channels selling station cash for the cash shop for in game currency. So you can buy in game currency using your hard earned cash.

The only legitimate way for the developers to sell in game items is if they were purely cosmetic, not tradeable, and require an access fee for the game.  The game however can not require a reoccuring pay to access fee.  If the game already has a reoccuring access fee then all items should be obtainable by all players, meaning there should be no other items sold on top even if they are cosmetic unless they have a clause in the agreement from the very beginning of the game.  If however the agreement changes after the game is released then they should be held liable for the damages they are causing their players.  The reason the game has to have an access fee, and not free to play is because then it allows Joe Schmoe the ability to resell it in game spamming the chat channel ruining it for everybody else in the game.  If however you require an access fee it forces you to be absolutely sure that is the in game cosmetic item you want to buy.  I am not knocking free to play games because this is about the only way I would agree with this sort of manipulation since you don't pay anything to play the game.  This is very hard for me to word properly as an online gamer.  One in particular that has standards for what makes an online game honest and fair for all online players involved, and I hope there are other gamers out there who share this same point of view.  I hope this made sense because it is very hard to word properly the way I feel about the fairness and honesty of an MMORPG that is fee required with a reoccuring pay to access payment model.

Sony has been double dipping for a while. You buy the game then pay a monthly fee and buy items from the cash shop or even buy cash shop currency and sell it in game to other players for ingame currency.

I hate to break it to you, but they all are doing it.  And when they start to feel the financial hurt from it they go free to play.  Everything eventually shuts down, but that shouldn't be left to the developers to decide.  That is why going free to play the developers can decide when to shut down.  This still sucks for people who purchased in game items, but they new the risk going in (Dungeon Runners comes to mind).  But if you require an entry fee with a reoccuring pay to access pricing model that is manipulation for the consumer since he just bought half of a product.  Take for instance Auto Assault & Tabula Rasa I imagine their players were very pissed, so much so that they probably will never fall for that type of pricing model again even if it sounds fool proof.  Maybe what I am trying to say is if you decide to purchase Guild Wars 2, I know I will be, get it at release and play the dickens out of it.  Because it might not last forever, and I am ok with losing just the entry fee as long as I at least get 6 months to a year out of it.  Which I am sure will be doable if you buy at release, beyond this point then it is up to survivability amongst the ever growing sea of games that keep coming at us every which way.  Meaning you can make a pretty hefty assumption that the cash shop, or whatever you want to call it, won't be making enough revenue to keep the game running after a certain period of time.  Then it is up to the entry fee to keep the game running, and that is a scary thing to consider for both developers and players.  But the game could live for a long time it is just up to the players involved to keep it running, and be thankful there is no reoccuring fee.  I am ultimately assuming ArenaNet run the servers, and not the players.  If I am wrong here then most of what I wrote pertaining to Guild Wars 2 means nothing. 

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Why can't I just buy gems with real money and buy the stuff I want with them? Why must I sell them for gold? Why would I need tons of gold? Are there serious gold sinks in the game that I won't be able to meet by just playing the game a few hours a day?

I guess I should just answer neither then.

the only huge gold sinks are switching tradeskills and buying influence for your guild. Neither are required.. they are just personal choices.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

The way I always handle cash shop games is I buy $10-20 worth of cash shop cash per month even if I don't plan to use it right away, that way I am basically paying the same thing I would be paying for a pay to play sans the game box price.

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by fiontar

Umm...both? How could you forget "Both" from the poll? Come on Creslin, you are off your game today! :)

(BTW, I am sure I will do both, so "not sure" isn't a valid option).

Same here, but I answered 'Not Sure' instead.

The reason I didn't put "both" in is because, if you assume the "both" person would be trading around the same amount of gold for gems and gems for gold, then it has a "net zero" affect on the economy.  From the economy's standpoint, it's like they didn't do anything at all.

Now, if you are planning to trade a lot MORE gold for gems than gems for gold, then you should answer that you want to trade gold for gems...it's all just a matter of what you do more often.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The only thing I would ever buy is content packs (if available).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson