Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: CSM Chairman Announces Resignation, Issues Apology

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The chairman of the EVE Online Council of Stellar Management has announced his intention to resign from his position as a result of an event last week in which a suicidal player was mocked during FanFest. The panel discussion was billed as "unfiltered" but, according to Gianturco, his actions were unacceptable.

According to a post on the EVE forums, Gianturco indicated that he was over intoxicated and didn't realize what he had said though he also qualified that this was not an excuse for his behavior.

I feel absolutely ashamed of my behavior at the Alliance Panel. It's one thing to play a villain in an online roleplaying game - when I post on these forums or on twitter, I usually do so as 'The Mittani', and do my level best to convince everyone that I'm an unrepentant space villain, as that kind of facade provides an in-game advantage to me and my alliance. But I am not that character in real life, as anyone who has met me can attest. I went way, way, /way/ past the line on Thursday night by mocking the Mackinaw miner at a real-life event. I, as a person, am not the entity that I play in EVE; I am not actually a sociopath or a sadist, and I certainly don't want people to kill themselves in real life over an internet spaceship game, no matter what I may say or do within the game itself. CCP may say 'EVE is Real', but EVE is not real - and the line between the game and reality should not be overstepped.

As yet, Gianturco has not completed his resignation though he has indicated that he will do so via his Mittani Twitter account. We'll keep you posted as the story develops.

Read the apology on the EVE Online forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    He has certainly not resigned yet and makes no mention of it in the linked apology. Your headline is misleading.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
  • 2D34DLY4U2D34DLY4U Member UncommonPosts: 62

Fix this asap he hasn't resigned only appologised.

Incoming drama bomb in 3...2...1...

• 2D34DLY4U2D34DLY4U Member UncommonPosts: 62

That tweet was when he landed from the fanfest and his first reaction.

His second reaction was to post on forums appologizing.

He hasn't resigned yet and it doesn't look as if he will.

Although the title states he "announces resignation" which is not the same thing as "resigns".

So the news post is correct.

Drama incoming! :)

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Check this out: https://twitter.com/#!/TheMittani/status/184412238218657792

Oh dear, all his Isk? image

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Check this out: https://twitter.com/#!/TheMittani/status/184412238218657792

Yep seen it, but 2 days later it hasn't happened CCP have made no statement outside of an initial we take mental health issues seriously holding statement, your story should be about the lack of response and leadership from CCP, I imagine the Sony Corporation are not laughing.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Originally posted by 2D34DLY4U

That tweet was when he landed from the fanfest and his first reaction.

His second reaction was to post on forums appologizing.

He hasn't resigned yet and it doesn't look as if he will.

Although the title states he "announces resignation" which is not the same thing as "resigns".

So the news post is correct.

Drama incoming! :)

Thank you. :P

I've added the relevant links to his Twitter and indicated that the resignation is not yet complete for clarification.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Methinks EVE would do well as a daytime soap opera.  Days of our EVE?

Currently bored with MMO's.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

It shouldn't be his choice.  CCP needs to relieve him of that position immediately, and ban him permanently for the harrassment that violates their own TOS.

The fact that they have done nothing so far speaks volumes about CCP.

But, as of now, he has not resigned.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Does anyone know if he has retained a lawyer ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Eve Online should be a live stream drama, I dont play the game but Id watch the Drama for the luls :)

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

he should of been fired.

I've got the straight edge.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by Rohn

It shouldn't be his choice.  CCP needs to relieve him of that position immediately, and ban him permanently for the harrassment that violates their own TOS.

The fact that they have done nothing so far speaks volumes about CCP.

But, as of now, he has not resigned.

I agree Rohn. I don't play Eve but I few CCP games are on my radar so I am watching what the outcome will be.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

He only apologized and backed out on resigning. He wasn't serious about dropping CSM anyhow just trying to skirt the issue and "protect" his image as a person at least. Cause his in game persona doesn't care and that's cool..

I'd hate to see CCP step in to do anything I much rather this just be handled player side. He doesn't need to quit the game or biomass or any crazy shit. He can still be his head of Goonswarm or whatever..

But CSM position just has to go.. too easy.. (Not for him and that's the point)

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

You all know that he did apologize right?  I mean, people make mistakes, sometimes big mistakes and the penalities for  the action normally depends on the outcome of said action.

Take drunk driving for example.  If you rear end someone causing only minor damage, the charges/penalties against you will be relatively minor.  However if you kill someone there will be a much harsher penalty even if you were equally drunk in both situations.

So same thing here.  He did something reprehensilble, has acknowleged his mistake, apolgized for it, and its been proven that that "victim" in question is alive and doing fine. (and in fact may have been "just kidding")

Sometimes people take this whole "falling on your sword" thing far too seriously.

Do I think he should step down, absolutely, it would be the honorable thing to do of course.

But all this mock rage against CCP needs to stop, sh!t happened, they'll take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again, let's be done with it.

There's some very real problems out there in the world folks that really could use your attention (and perhaps rage)

How about human trafficking, now there's a topic worthy of some attention. (of course, not on these forums, sorry moderators)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

This is less about him and more about CCP not protecting the environment of their game.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

Yeah, bunch of drama over an online game.. Do some of you even realise just how incredibly unimportant all this is compared to.. oh I dunno, forgetting to tie your shoelace IRL?

You say one dumb thing, act like a tool, and seconds later the rabid internet police is demanding you step down!

Get over it already. Nobody died. Africans are still starving.

People do dumb shit sometimes...

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

Why annouce an impending resignation instead of just resigning? I think he's expecting to be talked off the ledge... 

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by korvass

Yeah, bunch of drama over an online game.. Do some of you even realise just how incredibly unimportant all this is compared to.. oh I dunno, forgetting to tie your shoelace IRL?

You say one dumb thing, act like a tool, and seconds later the rabid internet police is demanding you step down!

Thumbs up, pal

+1

Originally posted by korvass

People do dumb shit sometimes...

He used an official CCP platform to call for the in game harassment of someone with mental health issues with the express purpose of driving him to commit suicide, this was publically broadcast as part of the CCP coverage of their official event. I am not really sure how it can A. Be justifiable. B. not be against their catch all ToS or C. In CCP's interests (especially with their new partners such as Sony's publicly stated policies on cyber bullying) to keep this clusterfuck rolling down the hill gaining bad publicity.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

As a player and avid fan of online gaming, I'd like to ask those calling for a game company to take in-game measures against a subscriber for their out of game actions to really really consider if that's a road you truly want online content providers to go down.

I'm not going to comment on the Mittani, CCP, CSM or any of the drama, but I really do want to bring up the precedent that the pitchfork and torch crowd is looking to set here and ask them to really make sure that they realize the ramifications of what their asking for.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by ElderRat

Methinks EVE would do well as a daytime soap opera.  Days of our EVE?

What about EVE of our days?

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

He wrote a full unreserved apology. That's good enough for me.

The Mittani is worthy of redemption.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Kyleran

You all know that he did apologize right?  I mean, people make mistakes, sometimes big mistakes and the penalities for  the action normally depends on the outcome of said action.

Take drunk driving for example.  If you rear end someone causing only minor damage, the charges/penalties against you will be relatively minor.  However if you kill someone there will be a much harsher penalty even if you were equally drunk in both situations.

So same thing here.  He did something reprehensilble, has acknowleged his mistake, apolgized for it, and its been proven that that "victim" in question is alive and doing fine. (and in fact may have been "just kidding")

Sometimes people take this whole "falling on your sword" thing far too seriously.

Do I think he should step down, absolutely, it would be the honorable thing to do of course.

But all this mock rage against CCP needs to stop, sh!t happened, they'll take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again, let's be done with it.

There's some very real problems out there in the world folks that really could use your attention (and perhaps rage)

How about human trafficking, now there's a topic worthy of some attention. (of course, not on these forums, sorry moderators)

Pay attention to the news.  Cyber-bullying has recently become more prevalent in the news, since it has been linked to a number of suicides.  Legislation is being passed in an increasing number of jurisdictions making it actually illegal.

This person, and I use that term loosely, crossed the line from the virtual world into the real one.  His intent was to push an unstable person towards suicide.

Read that again.  His premeditated intent was to push another human being toward killing himself.

It was malicious and premeditated (prepared a PowerPoint slide before the intoxication).

A simple apology is not sufficient.  CCP should remove him from the position of CSM, and from the game.

So far, CCP has done absolutely nothing.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

As a player and avid fan of online gaming, I'd like to ask those calling for a game company to take in-game measures against a subscriber for their out of game actions to really really consider if that's a road you truly want online content providers to go down.
    I'm not going to comment on the Mittani, CCP, CSM or any of the drama, but I really do want to bring up the precedent that the pitchfork and torch crowd is looking to set here and ask them to really make sure that realize the ramifications of what their asking for.

It shouldn't need a pitchfork and torch crowd if CCP or Alexander Gianturco had done the right thing in a timely manner.