Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness, Horrifying WoW clones away...

LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Hi all,

could be old news but woke my interest up...

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/24/ccp-shows-world-of-darkness-footage-during-eve-fanfest/

http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/25/leaked-world-of-darkness-footage-comes-out-of-grand-masquerade-convention/

...player elected leader with permadeath rights...   ...sandbox...   ..."with essentially no rules"...

Comments

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Yeah... problem is... don't hold your breath for it, I expect WoD to release even later than Blizzard's Titan project.

I don't expect it before 2015, and that's my optimistic estimation.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Lesrach

Hi all,

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/24/ccp-shows-world-of-darkness-footage-during-eve-fanfest/

http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/25/leaked-world-of-darkness-footage-comes-out-of-grand-masquerade-convention/

...player elected leader with permadeath rights...   ...sandbox...   ..."with essentially no rules"...

Not a fan of vampires, thanks to my wife and daughters love for all things Twilight lol.  But I take it with perma death this is another FFA PvP sandbox?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Hi all,

Not a fan of vampires, thanks to my wife and daughters love for all things Twilight lol.  But I take it with perma death this is another FFA PvP sandbox?

This quote is the only info I have and I dont play EVE:

"McDonough said World of Darkness will be based along the lines of EVE, as it will be more of a player-controlled “sandbox” with “essentially no rules” but at the same time it will be accessible and inviting to the non-hardcore. Still, it will be a very bloody game, and violent making it a very mature game. "

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Hi all,

Thankfully, VtM's kindred are nothing like Twilight's D:

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Hi all,

Yes, anyone who likes vampires but can''t face the ebb and flow of a sandbox and be willing to face permadeath on the odd occasion should HTFU or stay away. Glamourous yes, soft no.
  • Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Hi all,

I doubt that it will be completely a free for all pvp game, since even in the vampires setting many times battles between Kindred had to be quite abit subdued if done out in public view. Even the use of blood art powers was regulated when used in public view for the moost part, atleast for one side while the sabbat it was not as strigent for them.  Yeet also VtM was never trully about combat in particular, but more about exploration of the darker side of the civilized world thru the eyes of a predator. Also you could say that VtM had three major factions made up of the Camarilla, the Sabbat, and then independent cllans. Although you could also say that within each of these larger faction you had another sert of factions, in that clans within the sabbat or carmarilla could/would work against other clans in that same group/faction.  I would say that for the most part in combat you will deal with a downed/torpor state when you are dealt enouph damage, unless they really want to break the game's machanics in the setting for hwo final death works for the kindred. I am hoping the blood art or Disciplines kinda work like they did in the book setting, and that it is hard for a vampire of one clan to learn a discipline/blood art of a rival or even allied clan, such as actually needing to be taught by a member of that clan how to utilize their blood to create the effects of that discipline.I would say look deeply into the Vampires the masquerade setting books if you want to reawaken that interest, as well as fan interest in vampirism again.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

It'll be interesting to see how permadeath plays with a community that is bound to be heavily RP influenced.  With the amount of work that some RPers put into character development, losing a character to poor luck or happenstance won't go over well.

Originally posted by Unlight

It'll be interesting to see how permadeath plays with a community that is bound to be heavily RP influenced.  With the amount of work that some RPers put into character development, losing a character to poor luck or happenstance won't go over well.

RPers are usually better than the minmax whiners in that respect, they will just pick a new frock and get on with organising the funeral.
  • JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

Regular PvP in the game won't get you permanantly killed.  They mentioned you needed to have a blood hunt called down on you, which can only be done by the city's prince.

So, while there is perma-death, it will take a lot more than just someone trying to spite you to bring it about.

Originally posted by RefMinor

RPers are usually better than the minmax whiners in that respect, they will just pick a new frock and get on with organising the funeral.

They are usually better handling it when their character dies for a valid reason.  They aren't so easygoing when it happens senselessly or get glitched to death.  It works really well in a tabletop environment where circumstances can be somewhat controlled and deaths are usually meaningful.  When random other players control the circumstances, you could get taken out just because you're conveniently there.  If it happens often enough, they'll stop bothering developing their character altogether and RP disappears, along with RPers.  Be a shame if a game like this turned into little more than a shankfest with fangs and fashion.

I'd like to see what rules and mechanics they are going to implement to govern this.  Getting that right will be more important than any other system.

Originally posted by Jojin

Regular PvP in the game won't get you permanantly killed.  They mentioned you needed to have a blood hunt called down on you, which can only be done by the city's prince.

So, while there is perma-death, it will take a lot more than just someone trying to spite you to bring it about.

That sounds promising.  Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by Jojin

That sounds promising.  Thanks for the information.

Yeah in VtM there were very specific methods fo the destruction or forcing a kindred into final death or true death, and so normally your character would be merely placed in a suspended animation type of state called topor when you lost a fight or took too much damage from somethign even sunlight. I hope that they do have sevral of the other ways of perma-killing a kindred such as Diablerie another vampire to gain in age, and also access to other blood disciplines, and evven keep the large taboo against such an act in the culture of vampires as a way of enforcing that it is not something to be done offen.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Ugh permadeath... say goodbye to PvP because this game will hardly have any. Gank-tastic.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

Ugh permadeath... say goodbye to PvP because this game will hardly have any. Gank-tastic.

Bye, no need to pop back to check on progress, enjoy your gaming.
  • AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Come on man you don't have to jump on people for giving their opinion. What is with the attitude? it is an open forum and people are allowed to express themselves without being trolled.

You should know it since you spend majority of your time bashing SWTOR. Don't be a hypocrite.

That would only be true if it were a ffa pvp game set up, and with how the actual VtM game works i am airing on pvp being more of a controlled set-up, add in that just having perma-death does not make any difference since it is how easy it is to get to where you are perma dead. They have said that one method was having a blood hunt called dwn on you by a prince of a city, which would mean that inside other cities you would be safe from that prince's blood hunt i would bet. One of the ways a blood hunt could be called by a prince is breaches of the Masquerade, such as public fighting between vampire or the use of discipines in front of humans, and so in many ways ganking very well could mean that the ganker will be hunted as well as risk getting perma-killed for ganking.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

i'd guess characters will have some kind of "security rating" or reputation. if it drops too low through player's action, prince will be able to call blood hunt with permadeath possible.

edit: now pair it up with player-built missions and blood economy, and i can imagine quite a interesting environment.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Oh ref, people like you make my day.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Ankur

Come on man you don't have to jump on people for giving their opinion. What is with the attitude? it is an open forum and people are allowed to express themselves without being trolled.

You should know it since you spend majority of your time bashing SWTOR. Don't be a hypocrite.

Quirhid walked into the "World of Darkness" movie halfway in... heard the word perma-death and yelled out "I know how this movie is going end guys"

Ref just told him to STFU or leave the theater but in a nice way

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I can not imagine that the WoW players and the WoD players would ever intersect but perhaps I am delusional. I see those as two very different players

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I can not imagine that the WoW players and the WoD players would ever intersect but perhaps I am delusional. I see those as two very different players

All depends on a player by player basis really. I have enjoyed many games including wow, and yet outside of online mmos i played both D&D, WoD, Rift, Robotech, warhammer, as well as some older titles of the genre and also some anime inspired rpg PnP games too. For me Wod i am hoping sticks to the style of it being more about gathering resources, discovering lost history or such, and political standings in clans or factions, with combat being more of a back burner item. WoD was never abotu the combat completely, but it had an intereting system for combat events, whiel the primary function was a story telling adventure that dealt with actually experincing the world as well as interacting with the world thru the character you created.

Oh ref, people like you make my day.

I did say to enjoy your gaming :)
    Originally posted by Ankur

It's only a minority of my time for SWTOR, and I do fully endorse Quirhids right to come back and contribute to the debate, I think closer to release we will need some sceptics about to keep things in check, same goes for ArcheAge.
  • EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Sounds interesting to me, and I love a good sandbox.  But you might also want to consider that for once, its not the usual fantasy or scifi genre as the setting.  It sounds like a horror game set to an MMO, which would be something new. That alone will attract multitudes of people just to try it.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

do u even have the work to read a lilte about the game before posting?

only the incredible stupid and careless players will suffer permadeath. what is a good thing.