Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: So Much to Do in Tyria

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Originally posted by headphones

People still dont know the difference between an Instance and a zone?!  HAHAHA!!

For all those people who think WvW is instanced, please do not buy this game, I do not want to deal with you in game, you will obviously be so lost, you wont know what to do with yourself.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and just walk away now...walk away

you'd never see them anyway thanks to them being phased out. image

You will NOT be phased out in WvW...hahahaha...omg how can you even think that?

I can see it now, three servers, battleing it out to see who wins control of the zone. But wait, half the players are phased out....LOLOLOL!!!!

You dont have a clue do you? You have no idea how GW2 works do you?

I think he might have been joking.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Sylvarii

(But if WvWvW will mean long term pvp fun by the buckets (rather than "repetitive XL battleground") that might change).

We already know that WvWvW is not a battleground PVP it's open world PVP

Not really. It's still in an instanced off part of the game with predetermined objectives. Also there are examples of large battlegrounds like AV in WOW (which also happens to have small group and single player secondary objectives) which kind of closes the gap between battlegrounds and world pvp. i.e. I wonder if WvWvW still feels like being in a vast BG such as AV.

,structual PVP is your battleground type PvP but you know this already.

Yesh.

Why would you have a problem with battleground PVP anyway,your favorite game has it.

Wut?

I'm not talking about your latest fad either. 

Doublewut?!

Not gonna lie.

Seen you get behind a few games with much fervor, only to be dissapointed.

I could say ArcheAge will fail horribly, but I dont know enough about the game, so stating that would just be ignorant on my part.

But your last fad, SWTOR, turned out exactly the opposite of what you thought it was going to be.

Either you attach yourself to the shiniest new thing and go with it, or you actually dont research your games very well.

GW2's WvWvW (and I know others will disagree with me here) is not instanced per se. It might as well be called a zone, because that is what it is, a PvP centric zone where 3 servers battle for supremacy.

But of course people will argue semantics and say that it is instanced, because there will be a multitude of servers battling it out in their own WvWvW zones with whichever other servers they been paired up with for that fortnight.

Saying its instanced is the same as saying The Barrens of the Blackrock Server are an instance of The Barrens of the Proudmoore Server.

It's Silly.

Also, if the games you like tend to fail horribly, then by the law of the universe, games you dislike must succeed tremendously. /shrug

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• cherengacherenga Member Posts: 19

are u torturing me, i wanna play now

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157

wow..that was rather harsh :O

Anyway I dont really get this discussion..open world pvp is the following according to me:

- anyone can enter and start the killing in large open maps

If we go by this definition WvW in GW2 is definitely open worl pvp, BUT I think Darth Pony is thinking of open world as the thing where the ENTIRE world is open for pvp?

But honestly what would it matter? If I called my apples turnips would you care?

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Reskaillev

wow..that was rather harsh :O

Anyway I dont really get this discussion..open world pvp is the following according to me:

- anyone can enter and start the killing in large open maps

If we go by this definition WvW in GW2 is definitely open worl pvp, BUT I think Darth Pony is thinking of open world as the thing where the ENTIRE world is open for pvp?

But honestly what would it matter? If I called my apples turnips would you care?

or he is immersed in a game of semantics, not realizing that the designers of the game have split the two parts into wholly and completely different worlds of gameplay.

Which is understandable for someone who is old school, and is resistant to something new. But the funny part, it isn;t new, it's just never been done all under one roof.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Actually, no we get it just fine, what you dont get, is that we are fine with the HUGE PvP zone they gave us.

I saw the maps, I saw the vids but whether it's so huge like people make it out to be, I am not sure. The terrain looked pretty small scale: i.e. pretty funneled and it's chopped into separate sub-zones.

But feel free to point me to some hugeness, I'd love to take that back as WvWvW is one of the reasons why I am still curious about GW2.

If they want to call it open world, then fine, I dont agree that it is, and so do others, but we are fine with it. Thats the part that you dont seem to understand.

To me open world pvp is pvp in the main game world, not in a separate designated area. *shrugs*

The huge zone is just like DAOC, and thousands of players were fine with that too. So its you that doesnt seem to get the point, the GW2 system is a great system because it doesnt allow griefing.

The zone also is just like WAR RVR, (long sessions of gate bashing, npc keep lord fighting, massive zerging, etc) not so many people were fine with that. Which way it will topple remains to be seen. I'm hoping along with you that it will be a blast but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Thats why your upset, you were so looking forward to griefing.   :(

Fallacious thinking for others. Don't do it.

What I like most of all in a world which allows for open world pvp is that you have to be at your guard at all times; it's much more unpredictable compared to having just AI and agro ranges to worry about, it makes for many exciting moments and it's a source of unlimited gameplay adding an extra layer of content and incentives to a gameworld. Not griefing, unless you want to call roaming around looking for enemy players to kill (once) and move on again, "griefing". In that case, yes, I love to "grief".

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

I love how people call it "not world pvp" just because it is a seperate zone. Last time I checked, world pvp is when you are fighting people out in the world in an area where anyone can join at anytime. This pretty much defines it in GW2. It is nearly identical to DAOC which is what this game models its WvW off of. Pretty sure you actually "zone" into the frontiers now in that game too. Guess that means it isn't world pvp there either huh?  Not to mention the WvW rewards affect your entire server. If thats not world pvp, then nothing is. Maybe you just miss ganking low health mages while they are resting after killing a mob. Thats not world pvp, thats what real pvpers like to call a joke. Real pvp is when you can fight for your entire faction or server in a conflict greater then yourself and feel like you are having an impact on both the conflict and the world at large. With the reward system for WvW you are getting that; just as the bonuses to power ect affected you in DAOC.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Actually, no we get it just fine, what you dont get, is that we are fine with the HUGE PvP zone they gave us.

I saw the maps, I saw the vids but whether it's so huge like people make it out to be, I am not sure. The terrain looked pretty small scale: i.e. pretty funneled and it's chopped into separate sub-zones.

But feel free to point me to some hugeness, I'd love to take that back as WvWvW is one of the reasons why I am still curious about GW2.

So what exactly is your definition of huge?

Just a little confused by your earlier comment of:

"I wonder if WvWvW still feels like being in a vast BG such as AV"

Because if were using Alterac Valley as the standard here, Then I think the WvWvW zone will more than sate your hunger, not to mention the 3 base zones for each of the competeing servers...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

People still dont know the difference between an Instance and a zone?!  HAHAHA!!

For all those people who think WvW is instanced, please do not buy this game, I do not want to deal with you in game, you will obviously be so lost, you wont know what to do with yourself.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and just walk away now...walk away

you'd never see them anyway thanks to them being phased out. image

You will NOT be phased out in WvW...hahahaha...omg how can you even think that?

I can see it now, three servers, battleing it out to see who wins control of the zone. But wait, half the players are phased out....LOLOLOL!!!!

You dont have a clue do you? You have no idea how GW2 works do you?

for a guy who seems to do an awful lot of laughing out laughing out laughing out laughing out louding, you're not very good with humour, are you?

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

If they want to call it open world, then fine, I dont agree that it is, and so do others, but we are fine with it. Thats the part that you dont seem to understand.

To me open world pvp is pvp in the main game world, not in a separate designated area. *shrugs*

The huge zone is just like DAOC, and thousands of players were fine with that too. So its you that doesnt seem to get the point, the GW2 system is a great system because it doesnt allow griefing.

The zone also is just like WAR RVR, (long sessions of gate bashing, npc keep lord fighting, massive zerging, etc) not so many people were fine with that. Which way it will topple remains to be seen. I'm hoping along with you that it will be a blast but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Thats why your upset, you were so looking forward to griefing.   :(

Fallacious thinking for others. Don't do it.

What I like most of all in a world which allows for open world pvp is that you have to be at your guard at all times; it's much more unpredictable compared to having just AI and agro ranges to worry about, it makes for many exciting moments and it's a source of unlimited gameplay adding an extra layer of content and incentives to a gameworld. Not griefing, unless you want to call roaming around looking for enemy players to kill (once) and move on again, "griefing". In that case, yes, I love to "grief".

gw2 will always leave that wistful feeling, i think. it's a "what might have been" if it had open world pvp. given the scaling options that are in the game, it might just have worked out in a way.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Kreedz

*snipage*

Not gonna lie.

Well, we're off for a good start.

Seen you get behind a few games with much fervor, only to be dissapointed.

I have been a supporter of mainly Swtor, WAR and EVE on this board. WAR disappointed me but only after three or so months of having a pretty good time, EVE I still love greatly and SWTOR disappointed me tremendously as soon as I got to max level.

I could say ArcheAge will fail horribly, but I dont know enough about the game, so stating that would just be ignorant on my part.

So why mention it at all? Because I made an Archage branded sig? I'll make a GW2 related one tonight. Curious to see what will happen.

But your last fad, SWTOR, turned out exactly the opposite of what you thought it was going to be.

True. At least not what I HOPED it would be.

Either you attach yourself to the shiniest new thing and go with it, or you actually dont research your games very well.

Nah, I'm not. I am not nearly as hyped for AA as you project on me. It looks good but it's still subject to way too many unknowns to be really excited about it at this time.I admit was a SWTOR fan though, you are free to try and sue me over that. But don't mind me thinking it's kind of immature of you to draw someone's gaming history into the discussion.

GW2's WvWvW (and I know others will disagree with me here) is not instanced per se. It might as well be called a zone, because that is what it is, a PvP centric zone where 3 servers battle for supremacy.

But of course people will argue semantics and say that it is instanced, because there will be a multitude of servers battling it out in their own WvWvW zones with whichever other servers they been paired up with for that fortnight.

Saying its instanced is the same as saying The Barrens of the Blackrock Server are an instance of The Barrens of the Proudmoore Server.

It's Silly.

Yeah the whole "instance" semantics debate, it's indeed silly. So let me quote myself:

"Actually it was about people not understanding the difference between "open world pvp" and PVP in a designated, fenced off area, away from the main game world.

But I mentioned the "i-word" to describe the latter and some people, much like yourself, jumped all over it and went semantics on my ass as a means to avoid the initial point."

Also, if the games you like tend to fail horribly, then by the law of the universe, games you dislike must succeed tremendously. /shrug

Hehe, feel free to believe that. (EVE alone disproves that and there have been more people that were looking forward to SWTOR and ended up feeling jaded about it). I know that I am pretty skeptical about many of GW2's aspects but there are still things I actually like in it. Don't mistake my skepticism for unreasonable hate.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I cant wait to play this game, i'm criticizing the cash shop or rather some of the cash shop element right now, for its own good i hope they will tone down the cash shop (which i'm sure they will), but i'm very exited about this game. They are many, many aspects that really make me want to play this game like DE, the mist, personal story, B2p... See you in game guys.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by Bunks

for a guy who seems to do an awful lot of laughing out laughing out laughing out laughing out louding, you're not very good with humour, are you?

Its hard not to chuckle when the only thing they can invent is either semantics or out right fabricatons.

Like many of your posts in the SW:TOR forum? pot black kettle... I love fanboys.

I'm thinking of starting an award ceremony and the top award is the Dark Pony Award (no offence Dark Pony) for the top fanboy who leaves a game unhappy after the first month. Bunks you are a shoe in for first nominee.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Cant really talk about this but [mod edit]

there is still time tho..

• Bluebell811Bluebell811 Member Posts: 2

This game is sounding really promising but Guild Wars one had one of the most awfull communties I have ever experienced in a game. I would log on and after 5 mins I would feel totally ashamed to be part of the human race due to the stupidity and nastiness of the players.

I fear GW2 will be similar so I'm not feeling the hype for this game.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Thanks for your personal impressions, those are best to see how the world feels (not how it is in fact).

I think GW2 will not be game changer. I think there are so many changes going on, many many players won't coop with them. Your typical themepark player will be confused by sandbox elements in game, having holy trinity replaced with different system will be another stepping stone. This game is so different, it's difference may be as well its downfall. As they say in GW2 manifesto: "If you love MMOs you wanna check guild wars 2, if you hate MMOs, you really wanna check guild wars 2".

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,826

“There is nothing that I like better than a game that can cater to just about any type of player.”

- The only MMO’s that get made these days try to cater to as many types of player as possible. In doing so they end up only pleasing the biggest player denomination, that is the solo, casual, easymode crowd. But that makes the most money so why care about the rest?

“You don’t have to have a degree in Quantum Physics or Nuclear Science to figure out how to use skills and to use them effectively”

- Nice way of saying it has been dumbed down enough so that a toddler could play it.

“For those with a more detailed oriented view of gaming, the skill and trait systems offer a wealth of micromanagement joy.”

- No, there will be certain builds each class will use, on a website near you by launch day.

“Caveat emptor!”

- I don’t wish to be picky, but this means ‘let the buyer beware’. What that’s got to do with being overwhelmed by nearby mobs . :)

“There was no need to join a group but to just get in there and start fighting.”

- That sounds like a real exercise in teamwork and camaraderie, can you even remember the name of anyone you ‘grouped’ with?

I think GW2 will be a good modern MMO, but as normal you will hear nothing about the problems with modern MMO’s and the genre in general.

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

Great sig Pony, might not have to addblock it this time around! 

• pratikrath86pratikrath86 Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by mazut

skill challenges shouldnt be shown on the map :/ Caves also shouldnt be shown until you find them... Why makeing it easier. Exploring is to find somethig, not to run to a already known point :(

It only hints you in the direction. If you see how he got the skill point (in the video posted) was completely different from the way i got it. It was the same skill point though. I had started the event .. which was a long chain i might add. i for one entered from a different cave entrance to begin with. The Player in the video got lucky as he entered the skill area after the event  was over & was just able to pick the point up. I had to kill the boss (the one that screams i surrender in the vid). This is what he means how exploration can be different for different players and give a different experience in every play though.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Valentina

Every game has it's flaws, and it's strengths and GW2 will not be magically exempt from this. The personal story system from everything we've seen so far does indeed appear to be lacking pretty heavily, since it seems to totally displace you from the game-world and put you in this weird backdrop situation, with static characters. The game world seems impressive enough, but with no real end-game as part of their ideology with this game, I wonder how long this game will hold sustained interest in the majority of the gaming community. The game definitely is looking impressive in many ways, I'll be playing with many of you when launch is finally here...But I probably won't be canceling my SW:TOR subscription for this, and I don't think many other people will be, either. Partially due to the fact you don't need to since this game has no sub-fee, but also because there *will* be things that aren't quite to standard with GW2 that you'll only find in a game like SW:TOR, or even older MMO's.

I would wage pretty damn long.  My Proof you ask?  Seeing how around only 10% of players in a game like WoW are finishing endgame content, i.e. *raiding*, then I think a more casual approach with thousands of dynamic events will keep the average MMO gamer entertained for years to come.  On top of that we have WvW which is a never ending form of "end-game" in its own right or you have Explorable mode dungeons that are said to be "HARD AS ****". 

Yea I guess I dont see very much to do at end game......./rolls eyes.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by thekid1

Originally posted by pwain

Originally posted by Badgered86

Originally posted by Rohn

So, it has good graphics, combat, the ability to group, quests, and multiple races.

Wow, that's never been done before....

For all the hype, that's what I'm hearing - when actually playing it, this game is a lot "more of the same" than ANet has been making it sound.

Have to wait and see.

It isn't "more of the same".  Trust me.  It's actually different.  You actually have freedom in this game.  You're not pushed down a narrow corridor of quest after quest after quest.  You can go wherever you want to and do whatever events tickle your fancy (assuming you're not grossly underpowered).  No, I'm not a beta tester, but I'm also not here to shill for ANet.

So what can I do if I am sick of quests ? Is GW2 a sandbox game?

'Why hasn't anyone answered this question.

What CAN you do if you don't want quests/random events (or pvp)?

What kind of game do you want then?  Sounds like you are only looking for 25 man raids from that argument!  I suggest you not play GW2 because it wont have them.  Als might I add not to roam the GW2 forums if you made up your mind the game isnt for you.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by BadSpock

So... is EvE online not really open world PvP either because you can't "really" PvP in high sec besides suicide ganking?

Or are you counting Faction and war decs too?

Doesn't sound very OPEN if there are so many rules and limitations.

And how is EvE an open world/galaxy when every.single.system is its own zone?

Or is there a way to travel from one system to another without gates or jump drives no one told me about?

Every time I jumped to a new system in EvE I saw my ship and the surroundings "pop" (unload/load)

I mean, doesn't sound open if you can't just wander from one system to the next at sublight/warp.

This ^ was done to prove a point - if you break something down enough, get SO incredibly detailed, you can find a way to pretty much discount anything.

Well yes, EVE has a sharded (but persistant) universe. But allow me to disprove your proving of a point by going even further, Spock :)

The PVP in EVE is what most people refer to as "open". You are in fact able to attack anyone, anywhere, anytime (except for docked peoples), only in high sec the consequences are kind of brutal if you didn't bribe concord with a little war dec ISK, in low sec gate guns will fire on you and you still get a sec hit, but most systems (0.0 + W-space) are completely FFA.

Also, talking about persistance: EVE is ONE "server" (I know, technically it isn't but you know what I mean: one world, one community).

If you'd impose the GW2 model on EVE you'd have to disable pvp in all but a few systems and have people fight for control and over premade objectives, (rather than their own, player made ones) in just those few systems ... and reset everything after two week periods ...

Imagine that. Haha! I pitty the dev who would have to announce such a measure to the EVE community :)

Anyway, you can't really compare them. We can either keep going on with the semantics debate on what "instance" means or let it slide. I prefered the latter option.

Then quit bringing up the former if you dont want to debate it.  Cause you are wrong on so many levels.  It isnt semantics at all, its false information conceived on a very narrow view of a definition to suit your needs.

Originally posted by dimasok

I dont understand what's the argument is about.

GW2 is NOT open world-PVP. It's the same PVP as you would have in say SWTOR and RIFT but way more exciting due to the objectives, weapons (balistas, etc), scale (server vs server), etc but its NOT open-world PVP

You can argue all you want about the disadvantages of open-world PVP but fact of the matter is that GW2 is simply NOT open-world pvp! Its just a statement of fact, not a biased opinion for or against it!

Its exactly like DAoC where you PvE'ed in the regular zones and PvP'ed in the frontiers.  Or for the newbie MMO guys out there it is exactly like WoW's PvE servers but with an additional 5 zones that you are flagged for PvP when you go in.  Sounds pretty open to me and not some instanced area like some of the haters are out there claiming it to be.  Its open its persistent and is available to anyone who goes in.

Originally posted by Naral

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by xaus

Are the quest and radom event kill ten rabbits etc?

Unfortunately each step in these dynamic quest chains are basically the same as any other MMO.  1) Kill 10 rats, 2) Fetch 10 logs; 3) Plant 5 crops, 4) Delver weapon to NPC, 5) Defend this location, 6) Escort NPC, etc.  Each individual piece of the quest will be pretty much everything you've ever seen before.

HOWEVER, the new twist is depending on if each task is accomplished or not, the next quest in line might be different and the world circumstances might change.  This is an innovation overall, the question is how different will it be once you've seen the quest chain play out a couple times.  Probably not too different.  But if they have a ton of these quest chains it sounds like a better way to do questing no doubt.

Exactly correct.  It's undoubtedly an improvement, and the fact that it encourages exploration in what looks to be a very beautiful game world is a step in the right direction.  However, it's not the be all-end all system that people seem to think it is.  It's the next step in the evolutionary process, but when you break down the dynamic events, many of them are nothing more than a series of generic quest objectives.  The improvement comes from the fact that they've removed the linearity from the grind, and encouraged group participation.  

The major  question regarding the system is what happens when you've seen the various events enough times?  Does it get old?  I'm afraid it probably will.  Arena Net boasts having thousands of these different dynamic events throughout the world, but you have to wonder exactly how many of them are TRULY different from each other.  I mean, if you've done one event where the first few quests are kill 10 pigs, deliver this item to this farmer, repel this attack from these invaders, kill this boss...and then you go to a new area that tells you to kill 10 rats, deliver a different item to a different farmer, repel a different set of invaders, and kill a differrent boss...is it really unique?  I'm just interested to see how many variations of the same basic event we are going to see throughout the world.  I can see those getting pretty old pretty quick if they don't have enough variety, much like the Rifts and Invasions did in Rift.  

Can't lie...the game world and environment look pretty damn awesome though.  That alone will get me to at least try the game for a while.

This is what I am hearing over and over again. For all the talk about how awesome DEs were going to be (and I took a thrashing for saying "these are going to end up just like RIFTs and PQs) and how they would change the face of the MMORPG world, they are pretty much cracking up to be just exactly what I was afraid they were....souped up RIFTs.

Not unhappy about it, I guess, but I am a bit less excited. I allowed myself to kinda buy into the hype about DEs, and it has cooled my jets a bit hearing these descriptions of the DEs. 

The game looks fun, and I am exctied to play it, but as I suspected, I am less and less impressed by the innovations. It is all a step in the right direction, but I am not sure it is the wild, huge step that fanbois were hoping for. More like one small step forward from MMORPGs...which, at least, is more than can be claimed by pretty much any release in the last 5 years.

the thing I tell people about it is this:  In WoW you are led down a path from start to finish, even Blizzard coined a term for it calling it "Bread-Crumbing the players"  GW2 may have alot of kill 10 of this creature in a DE but the beauty of the system is it promotes exploration and doesnt guide you down a particular path.  I think that is so innovative that I would call it evoultionary myself.