Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 'Group Play vs Solo Play in an MMO' Thread

Comments

• iLasersiLasers Member Posts: 2

I second that. I prefer to solo-play with just about everything I can. However, I love grouping/partying with a small niche of friends that work well together. From what I can gather, grouping works best when you have more players who are competant and skilled. I would have to say that one of the biggest reasons (I believe) for an mmo to have a huge "playing-style divide" is just like what you would find in a high school; nerds that talk to each other and nerds that hardly talk at all.

This is my first forum post by the way! Greetings everyone!

LasersGoPewPew - Cypion - Invictus[acad] - 40+ Cleric

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

The only reason I went to play WoW in the first place is because a bunch of friends wanted a place to go play together.  We all joined specifically so we could play as a group, nobody was supposed to play alone, nobody was supposed to play with anyone else, we all got together a couple of times a week for a couple of hours and played as a team.

That lasted about 2 months, then half the group got addicted and went off and played 24/7 and left the rest of us behind.  A lot of the rest of us got bored, some left, a couple of us stayed and played solo.  I had no interest whatsoever in playing with the majority of WoW zombies and it really didn't take too long until I gave up on the game and left forever.  It just wasn't that much fun.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• iLasersiLasers Member Posts: 2

I can relate. My wife was always asking what I was doing playing Fiesta online so much, so I decided to get her in. 

Now she spends every moment she can playing. I plvled her to level 20 as a nice gesture to get her started, the game doesn't really get interesting until then anyhow. She's always stretching to get a level up on me and frankly, people that have an addicting nature should NOT play mmo's. It's ridiculous. I thought I was a straight up nerd, but dang son. Unfortunately it's players like my wife and several others I know that gunk up and break down what's good in a game.

I try to tell her that we have things we need to be doing and its always 30 minutes later, "Wait a minute! Just let me go turn in these quests!" and 30 minutes later the same thing until its 6pm and we haven't done anything productive throughout the day whatsoever. 

I need to find an intervention group or something. Gee-wiz.

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203

I think there is plenty of room for both group and solo play.  I believe the majority of developers would like to be able to attract both styles of gamer to their games without those players conflicting and without trivializing content or making content too difficult.

I think there is a solution to the problem and I think that solution is based around time to acquire content.  

Imagine these two scenarios:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Five players go into a dungeon and after 2 hours those players emerge with an item each of superior quality.

1 player spends a day (8 hours) solo questing and emerges with 1 item of superior quality.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems like a pretty reasonable and very simple compromise to the issue.  All items are available to all players regardless of style however time to acquire is much longer for solo players.  In the example above its 4 x longer. 

As most people familiar with competitive mmo's are aware, mmo's gearing tend not to be static, there is a continual and unfortunate demand for more content and better items and so last weeks uber bp is this weeks hand me down.  Because of this, the soloer who acquires gear at a slower rate will always be behind in gearing despite that gear being available.  The soloer will never have all the latest gear because in the time it takes for the soloer to get one item, the grouper has acquired 10 items.

One thing to remember, MMORPG stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game - the word Cooperatively is not in there anywhere.  

I used to play EvE Online - As Infinity Ziona , I soloed exclusively, I created Privateers, a corporation of soloers and it eventually caused the nerfing of the war system in EvE.  Essentially Privateers took cooperative multiplayer tools (the corporation and the wardec system) and used it for solo play, used it so effectively that the cooperative players complained so much it was done away with.    My point is that solo players can and do affect the game world even when they're not sitting, flying, swimming next to you in warm fuzzy cooperative play. They're not playing 'with you' but they are playing with you.

Originally posted by Ikonoclastia

I think there is plenty of room for both group and solo play.  I believe the majority of developers would like to be able to attract both styles of gamer to their games without those players conflicting and without trivializing content or making content too difficult.

I think there is a solution to the problem and I think that solution is based around time to acquire content.  

Five players go into a dungeon and after 2 hours those players emerge with an item each of superior quality.

1 player spends a day (8 hours) solo questing and emerges with 1 item of superior quality.

This seems like a pretty reasonable and very simple compromise to the issue.  All items are available to all players regardless of style however time to acquire is much longer for solo players.  In the example above its 4 x longer. 

As most people familiar with competitive mmo's are aware, mmo's gearing tend not to be static, there is a continual and unfortunate demand for more content and better items and so last weeks uber bp is this weeks hand me down.  Because of this, the soloer who acquires gear at a slower rate will always be behind in gearing despite that gear being available.  The soloer will never have all the latest gear because in the time it takes for the soloer to get one item, the grouper has acquired 10 items.

One thing to remember, MMORPG stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game - the word Cooperatively is not in there anywhere.  

I used to play EvE Online - As Infinity Ziona , I soloed exclusively, I created Privateers, a corporation of soloers and it eventually caused the nerfing of the war system in EvE.  Essentially Privateers took cooperative multiplayer tools (the corporation and the wardec system) and used it for solo play, used it so effectively that the cooperative players complained so much it was done away with.    My point is that solo players can and do affect the game world even when they're not sitting, flying, swimming next to you in warm fuzzy cooperative play. They're not playing 'with you' but they are playing with you.

I don't think it ought to work that way at all, to be honest.  If a group of players goes out to play, they ought to be able to handle higher-level content than someone of the same level soloing.  That much is clear.  They should certainly be able to get higher-level gear, based on their higher-level ability and higher-level content, but just having them get more for clearing the same amount of content, seems a bit silly.  The only reason they ought to get 4x the reward is if they clear 4x the content.  If they can do it, sure, go for it.  If not, they shouldn't get any better reward than the soloer, assuming they are all working the same amount and level of content.

Rewards should be given for work done, not number of people standing around doing the same work.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Cephus404

Except it doesn't work that way.  According to your example, the group plays for 2 hours and comes out with *1* item.  In order to get an item for each group member, they'd have to play for 10 hours (2 hours x 5 members).  The soloer  gets 1 item in 8 hours, therefore gets them faster overall.

he posted that the group gets 1 item each.. not 1 item.

Currently bored with MMO's.

Originally posted by ElderRat

he posted that the group gets 1 item each.. not 1 item.

Yeah, I caught that, that's why I went back and modified my post.  Quick response. :)

I don't think it ought to work that way at all, to be honest.  If a group of players goes out to play, they ought to be able to handle higher-level content than someone of the same level soloing.  That much is clear.  They should certainly be able to get higher-level gear, based on their higher-level ability and higher-level content, but just having them get more for clearing the same amount of content, seems a bit silly.  The only reason they ought to get 4x the reward is if they clear 4x the content.  If they can do it, sure, go for it.  If not, they shouldn't get any better reward than the soloer, assuming they are all working the same amount and level of content.

Rewards should be given for work done, not number of people standing around doing the same work.

I don't see why grouping with its inherent bonuses deserve any more bonuses in terms of loot.  

Group Bonuses:

- increased clearing of content, more items

- Safety 

- Social.  

Currently games penalize people (like me) who like to solo for being antisocial, while people who are social are rewarded, when their reward is already enjoying the social aspects.  Its a rather unfair system, since I don't choose to be anti-social its just the way I was born.

I'm not anti-social, I just don't want to play with most of the douchenozzles out there.  It's hard to find decent people who play the game at the same pace that I do.  If I can't find that, and it's rare that I can, I just play alone.

• BeartosserBeartosser Member UncommonPosts: 94

I don't see why grouping with its inherent bonuses deserve any more bonuses in terms of loot.  

Group Bonuses:

- increased clearing of content, more items

- Safety 

- Social.  

Currently games penalize people (like me) who like to solo for being antisocial, while people who are social are rewarded, when their reward is already enjoying the social aspects.  Its a rather unfair system, since I don't choose to be anti-social its just the way I was born.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're penalizing yourself just by referring to yourself as anti-social. Don't let extraverts classify you in a negative light just because they neither share, nor wish to understand your personality trait. Instead of trying to understand introverts they attempt to "fix" us by coercing us into group activities...for our own good of course.

In MMO's this is represented by game mechanics (created by extraverts) that are basically ham fisted attempts to force introverts (soloers) to see the light and become "freindly" helpful groupers like them. I suppose at that point we'd start chanting, and singing hymms, all while mindlessly farming epic items for them alone (somewhat ironically this is where their idyllic portrayal of the virtues of the collective seems to fall apart). 

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by Beartosser

You're penalizing yourself just by referring to yourself as anti-social. Don't let extraverts classify you in a negative light just because they neither share, nor wish to understand your personality trait. Instead of trying to understand introverts they attempt to "fix" us by coercing us into group activities...for our own good of course.

Why would an introvert even join an MMO to begin with? It's a multiplayer game, it's there on the description, surely they know that they're going to have to interact with other people to play the game. It's like going out to a night club then complaining that people are everywhere and you just wanted to sit on your own and listen to the music. Um. Wrong place, buddy!

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

Why would an introvert even join an MMO to begin with? It's a multiplayer game, it's there on the description, surely they know that they're going to have to interact with other people to play the game. It's like going out to a night club then complaining that people are everywhere and you just wanted to sit on your own and listen to the music. Um. Wrong place, buddy!

I hate to have to break it to you, but the vast majority of players in MMO's are introverts. The anonymous nature of such an environment is more conducive to their character trait, therefore they are drawn to computer use, the internet, and online games in particular. If anything, it's extraverts who are in the wrong place, but fortunately for them the introverts are too busy doing their own thing to take the time to browbeat others into playing their way. The same claim can't be made in reverse, which brings us to this debate.

I hate to have to break it to you, but the vast majority of players in MMO's are introverts. The anonymous nature of such an environment is more conducive to their character trait, therefore they are drawn to computer use, the internet, and online games in particular. If anything, it's extraverts who are in the wrong place, but fortunately for them the introverts are too busy doing their own thing to take the time to browbeat others into playing their way. The same claim can't be made in reverse, which brings us to this debate.

That's an old school of thought. Gamers now come in all shapes and sizes, from movie and music stars to pensioners and young kids, encompassing everything in the middle. To say the majority are introverts is an outdated concept that had gamers as lonely young men hiding in the bedroom of their parents house, covered with spots and eating pizzas every day.

And seriously, your comment about 'introverts doing their own thing without taking the time to browbeat others into playing their way'. The whole genre is turning into a single player game with a chat room, multiplayer content is quickly vanishing. The so called introverts have flooded forums asking for soloable this, better gear that, want to solo the other.. until the games end up as they are now, with multiplayer as a mini game done through small dungeons/raids or instanced PvP zones.

I'll never understand why people want to convert an awesome genre into just another single player game.

That's an old school of thought. Gamers now come in all shapes and sizes, from movie and music stars to pensioners and young kids, encompassing everything in the middle. To say the majority are introverts is an outdated concept that had gamers as lonely young men hiding in the bedroom of their parents house, covered with spots and eating pizzas every day.

And seriously, your comment about 'introverts doing their own thing without taking the time to browbeat others into playing their way'. The whole genre is turning into a single player game with a chat room, multiplayer content is quickly vanishing. The so called introverts have flooded forums asking for soloable this, better gear that, want to solo the other.. until the games end up as they are now, with multiplayer as a mini game done through small dungeons/raids or instanced PvP zones.

I'll never understand why people want to convert an awesome genre into just another single player game.

MMOers may come in all shapes and sizes, but on the sliding scale between extravert and introvert, the demographics of people who play these games skews decidedly towards introversion. MMO's are incorporating more solo play because that's what the majority of the playerbase wants.

Unfortunately for both personality types, there exists a push pull relationship within this genre in terms of wants and needs. I'm surprized the devs haven't tried out either a solo based MMO, or even a solo designated server within an existing one. A little compartmentalization could go a long way towards ending the acrimony.

MMOers may come in all shapes and sizes, but on the sliding scale between extravert and introvert, the demographics of people who play these games skews decidedly towards introversion. MMO's are incorporating more solo play because that's what the majority of the playerbase wants.

Unfortunately for both personality types, there exists a push pull relationship within this genre in terms of wants and needs. I'm surprized the devs haven't tried out either a solo based MMO, or even a solo designated server within an existing one. A little compartmentalization could go a long way towards ending the acrimony.

If you're going to state demographics you're going to have to show some colorful bargraphs, pie charts, trend fluctations and at least half a dozen flow charts. Or, more seriously, something that proves your point. Just saying it doesn't make it true.

And devs have made a solo based MMO, it's called Star Wars: The Old Republic.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

If you're going to state demographics you're going to have to show some colorful bargraphs, pie charts, trend fluctations and at least half a dozen flow charts. Or, more seriously, something that proves your point. Just saying it doesn't make it true.

And devs have made a solo based MMO, it's called Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I am stealing the gag from someone else, but haven't they got personal servers for everyone over at SWTOR

Exactly.  These game companies have already done the research and make games designed to appeal to the largest demographic.  In this case, it's soloers.  There just aren't enough paying groupers to make it worthwhile to make a game catering directly to them.  Welcome to the wild world of business.

That said though, compartmentalizing wouldn't really change anything because, based on statistics, grouping games probably wouldn't exist at all.  There's just no money in it.  Add to the fact that so many groupers are convinced, wrongly, that these games are "all about grouping" and anyone not grouping is doing it wrong, you're never going to solve the problem.  Everyone has to group or they're being bad players, in the view of a lot of fanatical groupers.

Exactly.  These game companies have already done the research and make games designed to appeal to the largest demographic.

This is probably a good reason why so many of these games fail. If you're doing market research and trying to find the right formula that will appeal to consumers, then your goal is money and not making a game for the sake of making something you want to see come to life.

Like original EQ was born because the developers wanted to see their text MUD's in graphical format, so they went about creating it. There was no real question of whether this would appeal to X or Y, they did it because they wanted to play it and knew others would too.

Now? Most developers look at exactly what you said, market research, demographics, etc, then make a game that they think will net them the biggest amount of income. Hence the mass of WoW clones. It's so clinical and designed to sell that most of these games just lack the soul that a game made for game's sake actually has.

This is probably a good reason why so many of these games fail. If you're doing market research and trying to find the right formula that will appeal to consumers, then your goal is money and not making a game for the sake of making something you want to see come to life.

Like original EQ was born because the developers wanted to see their text MUD's in graphical format, so they went about creating it. There was no real question of whether this would appeal to X or Y, they did it because they wanted to play it and knew others would too.

Now? Most developers look at exactly what you said, market research, demographics, etc, then make a game that they think will net them the biggest amount of income. Hence the mass of WoW clones. It's so clinical and designed to sell that most of these games just lack the soul that a game made for game's sake actually has.

That's a mythology that comes along after the fact.  They were in it to make money too.  They had bills to pay and mouths to feed and whether they were trying to make something come to life or not, their primary motivator was cash, the same as it is for every business on the planet.  They weren't doing charity, they were running a for-profit company.

That's a mythology that comes along after the fact.  They were in it to make money too.  They had bills to pay and mouths to feed and whether they were trying to make something come to life or not, their primary motivator was cash, the same as it is for every business on the planet.  They weren't doing charity, they were running a for-profit company.

Oh sure, there's still money to be made, which is why they make it as best they can rather than 'acceptable', but it wasn't about flowcharts and market research originally. Games were made by gamers - now everyone is coming out of University with Computer Science degrees and jumping into the business for the money rather than for the love of creating something original. Big business has smothered originality, not a lot of original games coming out anymore, they're all based on a game that came before it.

The only company I can think of that still create games because they love them is, I think, IO Interactive? The company that created the Hitman games. I've seen interviews and stuff with them and they're genuinely excited about creating an idea and seeing it come together, rather than the EA style of being excited about a product that's going to rake in loads of cash.

• SkurzillaSkurzilla Member Posts: 3

I have a question for you all.  Maybe this is a stereotype, but do all WOW players not like sports games? 

When you have a minute check out my Kickstarter project Touchdown Wars.  It is a Football MMO.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/138756426/touchdown-wars-where-there-is-no-off-season-0

This is another myth about MMO's - Massively Multiplayer Online = Many players cooperating together is just not true.  MMO = many players online together (no cooperating necessary).  A Free for all last man standing shooter is an MMO and the aim of that game would be to kill everything and be the only person alive.  

As I mentioned in a post a few pages back, in EvE Online I was a solo player, who roamed the universe killing other players.  I did found a large corporation which later became a large alliance, but only so soloers could join and solo against the group players.  While we soloed and didn't cooperatively play, we had a profound effect on the game itself which eventually forced the developers to nerf us.  Obviously we were interacting with others and affecting the game world substantially.  We were just not doing it cooperatively.  Cooperative is an option not a requirement of any good mmo imo.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

This is another myth about MMO's - Massively Multiplayer Online = Many players cooperating together is just not true.  MMO = many players online together (no cooperating necessary).  A Free for all last man standing shooter is an MMO and the aim of that game would be to kill everything and be the only person alive.  

As I mentioned in a post a few pages back, in EvE Online I was a solo player, who roamed the universe killing other players.  I did found a large corporation which later became a large alliance, but only so soloers could join and solo against the group players.  While we soloed and didn't cooperatively play, we had a profound effect on the game itself which eventually forced the developers to nerf us.  Obviously we were interacting with others and affecting the game world substantially.  We were just not doing it cooperatively.  Cooperative is an option not a requirement of any good mmo imo.

Your definition of MMO didnt even exist until WoW.

Even tho we have pirates and such in EVE, they work closely with other pirates, or at least have a deal with other players in an area so they wont be attacked. So to say you were completly solo, is not true at all. In fact, I can safefly say after many years playing EVE, you can never be "completly" solo, you would die fast and often. Unless you only run missions or mining in high-sec, but even that could get you podded.

When WoW came along, the first 6 months was grouping and open world pvp. Then quickly dissolved into a solo game, with raiding being the only group content.

And the MMO genra hasnt been the same since. Always catering to the solo crowd, and look at the quality of MMOs for the last 5 years, complete garbage.

• RookedRooked Member UncommonPosts: 2

Historically MMO game design has attacked the group vs solo dicotomy by making the level grind a solo affair and endgame content group based.  In an earlier post (I did not read all 100+ pages) someone referred to this as chickening out by not following through on the solo aspect through endgame.  However, current themepark games have further introduced mechanisms for solo play in the endgame such as dungeon/raid queuing systems as well as daily quests.  And while the former of these gives the illusion of 'group play' it really isn't.  I don't think that these queuing systems are necesarily poor design, in fact I think they were a clever idea.  The problem as I see it is that they introduced them with another design decision, that being cross server queuing.  In order to foster true group play dynamics there needs to be a sense of community.  Having cross server queuing destroys this possibility by further pushing the player into a state of annonymity.

In order to build a sense of community players need to be able to recognize one another and know who else is a 'team player' and who is not.  If MMO's (especially themepark) can break down this barrier then some of their previous design decisions would start to work better to break down the dicotomy.

I'm very interested to see if GW2's approach of server vs server can actually address this issue.

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Your definition of MMO didnt even exist until WoW.

Even tho we have pirates and such in EVE, they work closely with other pirates, or at least have a deal with other players in an area so they wont be attacked. So to say you were completly solo, is not true at all. In fact, I can safefly say after many years playing EVE, you can never be "completly" solo, you would die fast and often. Unless you only run missions or mining in high-sec, but even that could get you podded.

When WoW came along, the first 6 months was grouping and open world pvp. Then quickly dissolved into a solo game, with raiding being the only group content.

And the MMO genra hasnt been the same since. Always catering to the solo crowd, and look at the quality of MMOs for the last 5 years, complete garbage.

My definition of MMO goes all the way back to at least 1999 when I began playing Everquest which is arguably what WoW is based on.

EvE is an old game, when I first began playing in 2003 it was a lot different then it is today.  Up to 2005-6  solo battleship pvp was still a viable method of piracy.  I played from 2003 - 2011, even in the latter stages of 2010 it was still possible to solo and probably still is with a lot of effort.

If you take a look at my killboard (infinity ziona) you can clearly see what I mean.  Not amazing kill stats in terms of numbers, would sometimes take me a whole day to get a single kill on a specific player but at 7:1 K/D I certainly wasn't dying fast and often.