Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question to those who've played Tera and GW2...

1235»

Comments

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by ariboersma

you cannot tell me that its important for gameplay to lose every benefit of blinking forward while waiting for the camera to catch up to you.. since that is the animation for it. The rooting is absolutely silly and unneeded. Also not all profs can dodge in Tera.

You obviously didnt play all the classes ?

Some classes self root on some skills - with all logical explanation : Like huge damage overhead swing of heavy axe. You couldnt move in RL as well.

Other lighter classes have no self root at all. Like Warrior can move jump and dodge while performing attacks freely.

Its TRADEOFF

If you could perform super damage heavy hits and move in same time - why would anyone play light classes ?

Everyone would just be berserker.

Same goes for dodge

BTW - RaiderZ have much better dodge which is not skill, but available to all classes. Both dodge and block.

Much better combat system IMHO

I guess i have to check out RaiderZ now, i am really curious.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

Well I think this thread has anwserd my question(aswell as spin off into other areas) and its helped me decide.

I'll try GW2, but I won't be dropping any money on it yet. Tera, aside from the... questionable designs of some characters, has the combat I've been searching for(Like what kept me playing DDO for so long)

I absolutly am finished with the tab-tab-mash key-tab style combat, and I am sick of having my char move independent of the camera(As it looks and sounds like gw2) with the 'option' of holding down the right mouse to freelook(Bad idea imo)

Teara's control/combat system was win-win, even WITH the animation locks(It made sense,as said before, was a trade off, you can't expect to swing madly spinning, yet have fluid control and do said spins and such while also keeping balance while zipping 180% around, can you?)

From the looks of it, GW2 will simply be a cooldown race game.. as in the guy with the skill that cools down first will likley win the battle, since facings and 'control' don't have much else to do with it. Minimizes the challange when I can just spam a skill willy nilly and have it hit my 'tabbed target', and ontop of all that, just not allowing 'hard' mouselook kinda kills the expereince for me in many games. (Its just one step down from a pnc game imo)

I am not trying to cause a flame war about the merits of either game, I will try GW2 but as far as it goes NOW, with what ive seen/heard/learned, tera just has a much more apealing combat/control system imo.

If you the only driving force is combat which btw is subpar when compared to DCUO. I played at mystic,  played it fror 2 months on the korean server . And  pretty much, it was a rotation game, spam LMB, drop hp balls, poison, blink as needed and repeat. to me, just like in most WoW style game, the was no thought behind my skills, basically I am saying my body was playing while my mind was watching a video or listening to music.

Also guild wars 2 isn't a CD based game, is like a MOBA. You, in PvP if you want to spam your skills as they leave their cooldown thats your  problem just don't expect to win against a good player. The skills are placed to be very situational, knowing when to use them is more important than anything.

If combat is the main driving force behind your reason to play said game, you probably wont play it a very long time. I know after my 100th kill 3 or 5 BAMs, I pretty much said fuck it and quit and this is from someone who dropped 60 dollars for 2 months sub (third party site).

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by silvermember

snip

If you the only driving force is combat which btw is subpar when compared to DCUO. I played at mystic,  played it fror 2 months on the korean server . And  pretty much, it was a rotation game, spam LMB, drop hp balls, poison, blink as needed and repeat. to me, just like in most WoW style game, the was no thought behind my skills, basically I am saying my body was playing while my mind was watching a video or listening to music.

Also guild wars 2 isn't a CD based game, is like a MOBA. You, in PvP if you want to spam your skills as they leave their cooldown thats your  problem just don't expect to win against a good player. The skills are placed to be very situational, knowing when to use them is more important than anything.

If combat is the main driving force behind your reason to play said game, you probably wont play it a very long time. I know after my 100th kill 3 or 5 BAMs, I pretty much said fuck it and quit and this is from someone who dropped 60 dollars for 2 months sub (third party site).

good post, agreed although it didnt even take me this long to relaize it was just spamming the same abilities over and over, trying to get the same chains to proc each fight.. even new spells didnt make this change. I tried both archer and mystic. Played the mystic much longer even though I am always an archer in games. Just too repetetive. Now I didnt get far on the archer and that might have changed but it didnt for the mystic.

Gah im rambling.. basically im trying to say that the fighting is very repetetive. You use the same combo or spell A LOT of times in a row.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Well I think this thread has anwserd my question(aswell as spin off into other areas) and its helped me decide.

I'll try GW2, but I won't be dropping any money on it yet. Tera, aside from the... questionable designs of some characters, has the combat I've been searching for(Like what kept me playing DDO for so long)

I absolutly am finished with the tab-tab-mash key-tab style combat, and I am sick of having my char move independent of the camera(As it looks and sounds like gw2) with the 'option' of holding down the right mouse to freelook(Bad idea imo)

Teara's control/combat system was win-win, even WITH the animation locks(It made sense,as said before, was a trade off, you can't expect to swing madly spinning, yet have fluid control and do said spins and such while also keeping balance while zipping 180% around, can you?)

From the looks of it, GW2 will simply be a cooldown race game.. as in the guy with the skill that cools down first will likley win the battle, since facings and 'control' don't have much else to do with it. Minimizes the challange when I can just spam a skill willy nilly and have it hit my 'tabbed target', and ontop of all that, just not allowing 'hard' mouselook kinda kills the expereince for me in many games. (Its just one step down from a pnc game imo)

I am not trying to cause a flame war about the merits of either game, I will try GW2 but as far as it goes NOW, with what ive seen/heard/learned, tera just has a much more apealing combat/control system imo.

None except those that dislike the thought of GW 2 actually doing things different gave that exact answer.

It's not a cooldown race, it's not even a tab tab lol,

Tera and GW 2 if you choose to play GW 2 a certain way as Tera is the same.

Tera has animation locks and has free aim.

Please for your sake read this lol, I've played both of these games I'm not bullshitting you.

Now this shouldn't change your opinion because you like what you like but please for the love of God make sure you understand why this thread was created in the first place lol.

TL;DR - Tera and GW 2 are both action based, GW 2 is a hybrid but can be used to your preference. The difference is animation locks in Tera and that Tera has free aim, re read this till you understand this lol. I'm sorry I keep laughing but it's funny how obviouse this is after it's been said,seen,and experienced. I'm not saying GW 2 combat is better but this is how it really is. I like both tbh, but lean towards being mobile, that's [just me] though.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by RizelStar

None except those that dislike the thought of GW 2 actually doing things different gave that exact answer.

It's not a cooldown race, it's not even a tab tab lol,

Tera and GW 2 if you choose to play GW 2 a certain way as Tera is the same.

Tera has animation locks and has free aim.

Please for your sake read this lol, I've played both of these games I'm not bullshitting you.

Now this shouldn't change your opinion because you like what you like but please for the love of God make sure you understand why this thread was created in the first place lol.

TL;DR - Tera and GW 2 are both action based, GW 2 is a hybrid but can be used to your preference. The difference is animation locks in Tera and that Tera has free aim, re read this till you understand this lol. I'm sorry I keep laughing but it's funny how obviouse this is after it's been said,seen,and experienced. I'm not saying GW 2 combat is better but this is how it really is. I like both tbh, but lean towards being mobile, that's [just me] though.

LOL I'm not sure YOUR reading. I am the OP, and u quoted me , and both show u never even READ the OP.

I like the fps style control of tera, If that was possible in gw, i'd be all over it, I was hoping it was part of gw2 but apparently its not. I'm personally done with games that play where you can click (and have to) everywhere onscreen to do things, Tera's combat, in the short time I played, won me over as an alternative to DDO and DCO(DCO has great combat but it fails in every possible other way imo, once u cap theres so little else to do but 'grind better gear so that u can grind betterer gear' with nothing else to do to break the chain. DDO had me for like 3+ years now, but its time is gone, great game, would suggest it to anyone, but I feel I've just done enough, and the 'new' stuff coming don't intrest me like it should.

Tera has elements which make it apealing besides the combat, but its the combat style that wins me over, the fast paced, fps style (Yes this includes being 'locked' in animation when you decide to mash a skill at the wrong times, Yes this includes forcing you to aim your attacks, yes this includes all the 'WAH WAH's' people keep mentioning. Sometimes the negitives of combat is what makes the combat intresting and unique) - If GW2 had that style, with all else it has, GW2 would win hands down. Stop thinking its ONLY about one tiny little aspect, but think of it as the 'tie breaker'

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Why did you even make this thread? You had obviously already made up your mind. You can't be bothered to research GW2's combat on your own, you already prefer Tera's combat, and you completely disregard what people say about GW2's combat in favor of your own preconceptions that it's a "cooldown race game". Don't ask people what the combat's like if you're going to ignore them and end the thread with the same misconceptions you started with.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• style360style360 Member Posts: 70

The cooldown-race described by some people is probably the result of trying to play the game like WoW or something similar, and honestly, who can blame them for playing like in WoW if that's all they've played before?

GW2 is designed around MOBA style gameplay though, like HoN or Dota or LoL, where you use skills based on context and positioning instead of trying to max your dps. To make an attemt at an analogue: In LoL, you can try to use every one of your skills as soon as they are off cooldown in order to get maximum dps, and it probably will give you a higher dps - however, you won't have the important abilities ready for when you suddenly need them. You'll find yourself missing stuns, speed boosts, burst damage, and so on, for when you really need it, and in the end you'll do pretty bad even though you had higher dps on average.

It's the same in GW2 - you have to save cripples, burst, dodges, shields, for when you really need them and not just blow all the cooldowns as soon as they are available.

I'd imagine the people saying the combat was a cooldown-race actually didn't do too well in PvP, and would have some problems in high level PvE content as well.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by style360

The cooldown-race described by some people is probably the result of trying to play the game like WoW or something similar, and honestly, who can blame them for playing like in WoW if that's all they've played before?

GW2 is designed around MOBA style gameplay though, like HoN or Dota or LoL, where you use skills based on context and positioning instead of trying to max your dps. To make an attemt at an analogue: In LoL, you can try to use every one of your skills as soon as they are off cooldown in order to get maximum dps, and it probably will give you a higher dps - however, you won't have the important abilities ready for when you suddenly need them. You'll find yourself missing stuns, speed boosts, burst damage, and so on, for when you really need it, and in the end you'll do pretty bad even though you had higher dps on average.

It's the same in GW2 - you have to save cripples, burst, dodges, shields, for when you really need them and not just blow all the cooldowns as soon as they are available.

I'd imagine the people saying the combat was a cooldown-race actually didn't do too well in PvP, and would have some problems in high level PvE content as well.

I've actually seen this in a few of the more scathing reviews of the game. One the one hand there is criticism that the game is just some repetative CD spam MMO. Yet on the other they also complain that it's way too hard.

I definitely think this will be one of those things that will take some people a while to figure out. It's also part of what (i suspect) will make this game easy to play, but difficult to master. I'm sure there will be a lot of min/max builds, but that won't matter much if u don't know when to switch up your strategy on the fly.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Why did you even make this thread? You had obviously already made up your mind. You can't be bothered to research GW2's combat on your own, you already prefer Tera's combat, and you completely disregard what people say about GW2's combat in favor of your own preconceptions that it's a "cooldown race game". Don't ask people what the combat's like if you're going to ignore them and end the thread with the same misconceptions you started with.

That's exactly what I was saying, he literally and still disregarded every single thing obviousely.

Funny how [some] OP's do this, ask a question knowing they already made their minds up, get information they wasn't expecting and then, claiming it's something it's not, I wonder what drives these mindsets.

It even goes for the other things being talked about lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

I didn't disregard a thing, i asked a question (Is it or is it not) and i get replies such as 'but its that and this other thing'

Only ONE post in this entire fucking long shitlist of gw2 fanboi's was a yes or no. The rest were attempting to describe why GW2 combat is better/what it is, and not at all really awnsering me(without of course a nice page length faceroll about how its this other thing I never asked)

So really, enough. My decision isn't yet made, like i have said multiple times, i will try it, but I am already leaning toward Tera(mostly because I HAVE tried that and I KNOW what it is like)

(The vids are helpful to those who posted and thank you, GW2 still does look sweet.. definatly a HUGE step up from the garbage we have been force fed up to and including SWTOR. Its a nice breath of fresh air in a stagnent room full of farting old men, but then I feel this way abotu tera aside from teh questonable race...lol)

As before, I will try GW and it if gets the option to keep mouselook active(Again to the trolls who is already hitting that reply button telling me to tape down my right mouse button, without that requirment - a toggle for those 'freaks' like me who WANT the mouselook. Don't attack my likes or dislikes since having mouselook as an option doesn't hurt your ability to play whatsoever, it just ADDS somethign SOMEONE ELSE might use. REmember -YOU- are not the -ONLY- one playing the game, just cuz -YOU- don't like something doesn't mean another will dislike it also. And again, adding/having one option that in no way impacts or limits YOUR choices can't be a bad thing, can it?)

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Can you dodge projectiles in GW2? If you can, then it sets itself apart from AoC, if not, then it is essentially AoC sans combo chains. From the videos I've watched of GW2 casters seem to be the same as in any MMO neglecting the AoE restriction on melee attacks.

In Tera, everything within reason can be dodged, right? 

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by //\//\oo
    Can you dodge projectiles in GW2? If you can, then it sets itself apart from AoC, if not, then it is essentially AoC sans combo chains. From the videos I've watched of GW2 casters seem to be the same as in any MMO neglecting the AoE restriction on melee attacks.

Yes, you can dodge projectiles and most melee attacks if you sidestep quick enough. (Need to outright dodge the attacks that come lightning fast though.) With projectiles you need to learn how to juke to properly dodge without using your dodge skill. Takes time to get use to doing it, but it saved my ass plenty of times while low on health waiting for a health skill or endurance to come back so I can properly dodge.

If you master juking. Ranged players in pvp are going to hate your ass so damn much. The rage will burn like a thousand suns.

BOOYAKA!

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by cyress8

Yes, you can dodge projectiles and most melee attacks if you sidestep quick enough. (Need to outright dodge the attacks that come lightning fast though.) With projectiles you need to learn how to juke to properly dodge without using your dodge skill. Takes time to get use to doing it, but it saved my ass plenty of times while low on health waiting for a health skill or endurance to come back so I can properly dodge.

If you master juking. Ranged players in pvp are going to hate your ass so damn much. The rage will burn like a thousand suns.

just saying there are other issues involved when juking such as poor latency (lag), whilst it's fine for those having <100ms pings to be able to juke, those that have high pings >300 suffers greatly and from what i heard anyone outside of NA has shitty pings esp oceanic...

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Yeah, you can still avoid projectiles if you anticipate quickly. But the game does lead your shots a bit (probably to compensate for lag and such) and they are pretty quick moving so it can be tough to do. In Tera you can avoid anything (the attacks are generally slower though, so you can tell when to move and dodge easier).

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by Elminzter

just saying there are other issues involved when juking such as poor latency (lag), whilst it's fine for those having <100ms pings to be able to juke, those that have high pings >300 suffers greatly and from what i heard anyone outside of NA has shitty pings esp oceanic...

Well, that is a problem for anyone playing a twitch based game. Tera will have the same problems. Nothing you can truly do for that besides playing on a server close to you. I had high ping when I was able to play in the first euro weekend for Tera. I was constantly being hurt by mobs since I was never able to react to them in time. I really can't blame the devs for something like that. However, playing in the CB2 on the North American servers it was smooth as a babies behind. [mod edit]

BOOYAKA!

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Well, that is a problem for anyone playing a twitch based game. Tera will have the same problems. Nothing you can truly do for that besides playing on a server close to you. I had high ping when I was able to play in the first euro weekend for Tera. I was constantly being hurt by mobs since I was never able to react to them in time. I really can't blame the devs for something like that. However, playing in the CB2 on the North American servers it was smooth as a babies behind. Same for GW2, was smooth as glass.

It was a problem in WoW too, both in PvE and PvP. Anybody remember the "dancing" you had to do in Naxx? With >= 400 ms, that was quite a chore and not even possible at times without getting hit, or how about those pesky druids/mages etc. who could kite you indefinitely in PvP, since they have a free flash every second? 

Unless the combat is ridiculously trivial, or turn based, latency will always be an issue, so that's a problem that's here to stay in this genre and any other online genre (especially FPS, which is often nothing more than a difference in framerates and latencies).

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by Elminzter

really QQ abt the animation lock, which in tera's case is part of the combat mechanics i.e. u cant spam skills like in all the button smashes, just remember one man's meat is another's poison

imo, these games are trying to innovate which is good for us.

TERA's combat is not an innovation. It's been done in console games and already a few online games. I like where TERA is pointing MMOs but I feel that Vindictus, Dragon Nest and C9 were the games to point the industry in that direction. TERA is just taking that combat to open world but that doesn't change the fact that the combat has been done before.

first of all, the mixture of an old ingredient (combat style) into an open world MMO (another ingredient) IS a significantly new meal.  enough for people to pay $50 + $15 a month in order to enjoy something that they've never had the chance to eat before.

secondlly, if you're gonna ignore every other ingredient of the games and only talk about whether an isolated ingredient (combat) is new or not.....those games you mentioned......

* AREN'T even MMOs

* do NOT EVEN HAVE new combat! (Dragon Nest combat was done in 1996 by Quake, for example)

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

In my opinion is GW2 more action based than Terra.

Example:

- In Terra I earned a dodge skill( jumping backwards) with my mystic after a certain level.

Everytime I would spam first some of my skills from a range and then try to time my dodge skill (which had a cooldown) whenever my enemy was near enough try to attack me (melee enemies). Rinse and repeat till the enemy is dead.

Major problem, the rooting of the character most of the time made the timing be less effective at times towards quite a few enemies. It was easy though against the ones that have long attack animations (like a cerberus as example standing in front of you charging its attack before it actually does attack).

- In GW2 however, when a enemy is close range you just dodge by using a key and your character rolls out of harms way, you run back, switch from  a melee weapon to a ranged one and attack the enemy from afar.

Of course timing is your friend in it aswell but the overall feeling is more action based, feels faster and more competitive than in Terra.

I liked the aiming system in Terra because it felt more "free" than the partially auto targeting feeling of GW2, in overall however I would take the GW2 gameplay over Terra.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by R.I.O.T

For GW2, I'm thinking more torwards the PvP aspect of range vs melee: How are you able to dodge a range toon? If they are constantly locked on you spamming spells or shooting you...especially since range can move and cast spells at the same time... Does dodging make range loose you as a traget?

In GW2, all professions have skills to close, maintain distance, slow down the enemy, etc. Plus, your ranges attacks aren't tracking like in WoW for example... if they dodge it, you miss. In addition the dodge mechanic provides you with a moment of invulnerability when dodging. The limited energy bar prevents spam abusing dodge, so you should time it well for the really big hits.

Remember the whole "No trinity" thing? That comes into play here, with each profession being able to damage and control the enemy and support allies all at the same time. You use a skill to control the bad guy. You use damage skills. You use some to support allies or yourself. These are all on your bar at the same time, so instead of playing a role you're using the right skills at the right time.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Raekon

Example:

- In Terra I earned a dodge skill( jumping backwards) with my mystic after a certain level.

Everytime I would spam first some of my skills from a range and then try to time my dodge skill (which had a cooldown) whenever my enemy was near enough try to attack me (melee enemies). Rinse and repeat till the enemy is dead.

Major problem, the rooting of the character most of the time made the timing be less effective at times towards quite a few enemies. It was easy though against the ones that have long attack animations (like a cerberus as example standing in front of you charging its attack before it actually does attack).

- In GW2 however, when a enemy is close range you just dodge by using a key and your character rolls out of harms way, you run back, switch from  a melee weapon to a ranged one and attack the enemy from afar.

Of course timing is your friend in it aswell but the overall feeling is more action based, feels faster and more competitive than in Terra.

I liked the aiming system in Terra because it felt more "free" than the partially auto targeting feeling of GW2, in overall however I would take the GW2 gameplay over Terra.

the mystic has a teleport forward and you lose all bonus from doing so because you cannot move your character until the camera catches up with you. The archer has a small leap back. Also small thing but its Tera(one R).

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

R.I.O.T  I have read your posts and you make a lot of great points that are hard to argue with.  There is one thing however that everyone has missed that completely discredits your arguements.

You openly publicize the fact you play as a MALE CASTANIC.   A male castanic sorcerer no less.  I am appaled at your choices in gaming avatars........its simply un-american.

I am afraid I have to revoke your man pass as well. 

j/k......felt like being an a** for some reason.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by Raekon

Example:

the mystic has a teleport forward and you lose all bonus from doing so because you cannot move your character until the camera catches up with you. The archer has a small leap back. Also small thing but its Tera(one R).

I love the Mystics tele, but like you mention it has this delay on it that is so annoying. And not just that, many abilities in Tera have similar delays on them that can get to you after a while.

• Played both thanks to a friends that is in beta, i give you my experience about combat system:

Tera
    You are rooted till the animation end, true, this is valid both on regular attack and skills attack, the lenght of the animation depend of the skill, more powerfull ones last much more.

60% of all skills require a charge time, it mean you have to hold the sx mouse button and wait the bar is 100%, then you can release the trigger. You can MOVE while you have the skill in charging BUT you are more slow. The skill land where the crosshair is pointed.

35% of remain skills are instant, it mean you press the mouse button and it land immediately where the crosshair is pointed.
    Then 5% are skills called lock-on, you press the sx mouse button and you choose the target with the crosshair, once you have choose the target (it become green) you press again the sx mouse button and release the skill. This lock-on skill is a 100% hit because is a lock skill and is almost instant. I dislike these skills a lot expecially the sorcerer one because you can move at full speed and you can keep the trigger forever.

Gw2
    Combat is ever based on lock. You aren't forced to TAB a target, infact the system autotargeting the opponent you face in the center of the screen, the enemy is surrounded by a red aura meaning is targeted. Indeed you can use pint & click too.

Is impossible to dodge the regular attacks in GW2, the only way is moving away out of range or use the dodge skill based on your stamina (so you aren't able to spam more then 2 at the same time).

There are some aoe skills that require positioning on terrain (circle or straight line) but they are a 10% only and they have a long CD.

Other combat features (i dislike) in GW2 (you can notice them very well in the YT videos) are:
    - no collision detect, you can pass through opponents, both players or npc.

- autoattack, once you press 1 in the bar your character start to autoattack the target, so you can focus on spamming skills. Of course if you play any melee class you have to get close to hit.
    Moving in circle and strafe in GW2 is useless, mobs hit you no matter how skilled you are. Indeed there are some bosses that use a long animation skill so you can just move away or strafe but majority of projectiles are based on lock-on and are instant and fast, so unavoidable.

- Your avatar, once you lock a target, turn in the direction where the opponent is to land the skill (this don't work if you are moving the camera holding the dx mouse button of course).

Imo, both games have cons and pros, from the video on YT seems GW2 is more action but is not true, is static and you can spam skills since strafe and position don't matter in 70% of the cases, while in Tera, yea you are rooted while you perform an action but positioning is more important.

GW2 has a better quest system, called dynamic events where everyone can take part of it, it has a zone completely for pvp called WwWwWw, but apart this in an advanced themepark like Tera.

Both are good and fun games, it depend on your own tastes but since GW2 is a B2P game i guess it will sell 4 times more then Tera, of course this don't mean that GW2 is better then Tera but is obvious that B2P > P2P. This is a mistake that Tera devs maybe will pay with a tough opponent like GW2, but well, in the end time will tell. :)