Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Revolutionary"?

2»

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I'll be honest, I'm looking for fun, not revolutionary.  If you can throw in a bit of the big R and be fun great.  If not, fun trumps R everyday of the week.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Day/Night cycles

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

I wouldn't call the game truly revolutionary, but it is definitely progressing the genre forward with regards to game mechanics and skill-based combat.  However, the cash shop is extremely regressive and is full of advantage-granting items. Seems bad.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by pikweed

Can somebody please explain what is so "revolutionary" about this game? I played Guild Wars: Nightfall and quit because it was just an instanced online RPG with an online hub and PvP. To me this game doubles down on this idea. They talk about removing the boring things about MMOs but this game isn't even an MMO. The economy is basically non-existant compared to other games, there's no exploration and the entire game is instanced. They want everyone to feel like a "hero", and everyone to feel like what they are doing actually matters. Instancing everything is counter intuitive to this. The idea that PvP should have no connection to the rest of the game is absurd. If you want a class based, arena style competitive game, play League of Legends.

There are some things I agree with them on. I feel like grinding to the level cap to get into the "real" game is a ridiculous idea, but letting everyone automatically reach level cap with max gear for PvP is not the way to solve this. I also like the idea of 2 week long, persistent world vs. world PvP. However, if it's purely based on what world has more "skill", it might as well just be a random group vs another random group because MMOs are not just about skilled combat. Although I do think MMOs don't put enough emphasis on skill, it shouldn't be the entire game. They should also take into account other aspects of the competing worlds. As I said before, League of Legends and other games exist for that reason.

From your tone, I get the impression that trying to explain anything to you would be like trying to teach a brick wall to waterski.

Not biting.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

They talk about removing the boring things about MMOs but this game isn't even an MMO. The economy is basically non-existant compared to other games, there's no exploration and the entire game is instanced. They want everyone to feel like a "hero", and everyone to feel like what they are doing actually matters. Instancing everything is counter intuitive to this.

0/10

On the off chance that you aren't trolling, GW2 (unlike GW1) has a persistent world just like nearly every other MMO. Events are not in instances.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

GW1 is nothing like GW2 so you should read up more on the game, and if it was I wouldn't be interested. However, since the game has WvW and is open world now I'm heavinly interested.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Revolutionary, evolutionary, whatever

don't really care, I'm just looking for an enjoyable mmo. Also, the OP clearly hasn't read or looked into anything about the game judging by his comments.

• pikweedpikweed Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by F0rumLurker

there's no exploration and the entire game is instanced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JCeTG7zWqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Z8n120H7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsOwim1uCp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjLmknda6_Q

I'm glad someone showed me this, it alleviates some of my concerns but I still don't understand the appeal of fully scaled PvP and some of the other things I mentioned in the OP. Also I'd like to add, although it's been brought up before, this game really does look dated. It also looks dull and colorless even moreso than I had seen previously but I guess that's the norm now.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Well you can always play BF3 and Crysis 2 if you want a graphically updated game.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by dadante666

play the game and you cna be the judge of that simple as that

I played Guild Wars: Nightfall and applied for the beta of GW2. I just don't understand the mindset of people who are worshiping this game and would like them to explain it to me. I look at a game like Archeage that actually feels like an MMO and not a single player RPG with PvP and wonder why MMO fans are getting so excited over this. There really isn't any of the "community" or "domestic" aspects that make MMOs interesting for me.

First off, we dont worship the game, we are excited to be getting a game with the features we have wanted. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

And there is your answer, the features, that is why we are here. Simple ya?

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Originally posted by dadante666

play the game and you cna be the judge of that simple as that

What this guy said.

Some of us think it's pretty revolutionary because it goes after a different target audience than any other MMO has in a long, long time. There are lots of things I could excitedly talk about, but what's the point?

My words aren't going to sway you (the OP), or anyone.

The sad part is is that most people come here looking for an argument and will stubbornly not be convinced about anything, they just want us to confirm that this game isn't anything special so that they can feel as though they're not missing out on anything. The thing is is that to the MMO traddy, this game won't be anything special. It's designed to be not be compatible with that mindset.

I can't tell you why you'd like Guild Wars 2 if you like MMOs.

If you really wanted to be convinced, go to Youtube and look up TotalHalibut, and watch for a while. That's a better sell than any of my words can muster. And either you're convinced after that, or you're not. A hundred pages of sound and fury isn't going to do anything other than make us gamers look like pompous, self-important dicks.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by F0rumLurker

there's no exploration and the entire game is instanced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JCeTG7zWqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Z8n120H7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsOwim1uCp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjLmknda6_Q

Thanks for the Videos, this is exciting (for an explorer like me at least hehe).

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

@Suraknar

Yay! A kindred spirit.

You should look up the 'jumping puzzle' video on Youtube by TotalHalibut.

You will very likely not be disappointed.

• risenbonesrisenbones Member Posts: 194

Well I guess it boils down to GW2 is pretty close to release here and so many people are excited to be able to get their hands on a game they have been waiting for as in it will release sometime this year.  Archage at the moment is still very much pie in the sky as to weather it will evan get a western release.  I havn't been following it a whole lot but I do check several websites and none of them has evan mentioned Archage getting a western publisher and evan if or when thats announced it will still take several months to a year from that announcement to acually getting a western release so evan best case senerio not going to be here till next year.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

There is nothing more dangerous than a true believer.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

I like the dynamic events how you do something it sets off something else or you chose not to do anything and it sets off something else. And even as a full plate warior if you just stand there you are going to die as you have to dodge and prevent damage as oposed to just standing there. So, those things makes it different to other games these days. And the events aren't  instanced and don't care if your there or not it's still going to happen in the world.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I stopped taking the OP seriously when he claimed that the game is instanced like GW1.

I will answer the question on "revolutionary" though. GW2 was designed to be the next evolution of the MMORPG genre. However, there was a "lost generation" between WoW and the present where expected evolution just didn't happen, because everyone was too busy trying to duplicate WoW.

So, not only is the game at least two generations ahead of the genre, the innovations it looks to bring to the genre will be a huge wake up call for future MMORPG developers. When a new game introduces design and features that look to change the direction of future game design in it's genre, that's pretty revolutionary. The stale old MMORPG design template was already on it's last leg, GW2 will just put it out of it's misery and force other developers to match GW2's innovations, either feature for feature, or with innovations of their own.

I feel bad for games releasing this year that stuck to the old design doctrine. Most are going to feel hopelessly outdated to many who experience, or even just appreciate, what GW2 looks to do for MMORPG game design and game play.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated