Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA Vs Dragon Nest

marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Having BETA tested TERA this past weekend I have to admit I enjoyed Dragon Nest more then TERA. To be honest, TERA is Dragon Nest in an open world really but I just didn't have as much fun in TERA. I've played lots of themepark MMO's and currently playign RIFT. I just don't see myself subbing to TERA.

Dragon Nest certainly is worth the download if you like TERA. Playing TERA I kept thinking how Dragon Nest did the combat better, and made the gameplay overall more fun. In Dragon Nest you don't have those kill 10 of these and 10 of those. The biggest downfall to Dragon Nest however is that it is an instanced game similar to the original Guild Wars, but once you get used to it, it's very addicting.

I have not played Dragon Nest in 2 months while I'm subbed to RIFT again, but those were my thoughts during this BETA weekend for TERA. I don't think I'll be buying TERA and subbing when I can play a better game in Dragon Nest for free. Don't get me wrong, there is a cash shop in Dragon Nest but the only thing you really need to buy  is more inventory space and it's is not a P2W cash shop (although it is over priced on a lot of fluff items).

I honestly didn't come here to promote Dragon Nest or give a bad review about TERA. I think they're both good games, but I found myself having more fun when I did play Dragon Nest in the past. I only subbed to RIFT for the 1 year anniversary celebrations. I'll be going back to Dragon Nest before GW2 comes out.

Anyone else played Dragon Nest and can compare what they thought about TERA vs Dragon Nest?

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by marzatplay

Having BETA tested TERA this past weekend I have to admit I enjoyed Dragon Nest more then TERA. To be honest, TERA is Dragon Nest in an open world really but I just didn't have as much fun in TERA. I've played lots of themepark MMO's and currently playign RIFT. I just don't see myself subbing to TERA.

Dragon Nest certainly is worth the download if you like TERA. Playing TERA I kept thinking how Dragon Nest did the combat better, and made the gameplay overall more fun. In Dragon Nest you don't have those kill 10 of these and 10 of those. (That's not true). The biggest downfall to Dragon Nest however is that it is an instanced game similar to the original Guild Wars, but once you get used to it, it's very addicting.

I have not played Dragon Nest in 2 months while I'm subbed to RIFT again, but those were my thoughts during this BETA weekend for TERA. I don't think I'll be buying TERA and subbing when I can play a better game in Dragon Nest for free. Don't get me wrong, there is a cash shop in Dragon Nest but the only thing you really need to buy  is more inventory space and it's is not a P2W cash shop (although it is over priced on a lot of fluff items).

I honestly didn't come here to promote Dragon Nest or give a bad review about TERA. I think they're both good games, but I found myself having more fun when I did play Dragon Nest in the past. I only subbed to RIFT for the 1 year anniversary celebrations. I'll be going back to Dragon Nest before GW2 comes out.

Anyone else played Dragon Nest and can compare what they thought about TERA vs Dragon Nest?

Just corrected a short part regarding quests. Dragon Nest has almost only kill 10 rats type of quests. The only different is that Dragon Nest has a fairly decent story and sense of humor to some extent. As for the combat itself, the combat in Dragon Nest is without a doubt more fluid than TERA.

TERA is not a bad game, but it's not one that I would qualify as a good game either. It's in-between, and I'll have to agree with you that it's just not worth a subscription. My guess is TERA will go F2P in 6-12 months after launch, as they should have, considering it is everywhere else.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Dragon nest is much faster and has much less of a risk/reward factor. TERA is slower like Monster Hunter/Dark Souls in most cases.

However as you level up and get more skills and glyphs increasing movements speed/reset cooldowns and give bonus mana amongst other things as well as gear that also increases animation speed the game gets considerably faster. The mobs also get much more extensive at 20+ and dungeon mechanics get a little more interesting at higher levels, especially in hardmodes.

TERAs one of those odd games that get better as you level(especially in combat, as early levels are not indicators of how it will be later on), quite the opposite of AoC.

Also don't try to say that Dragon Nest being a F2P instanced game with P2W cash shop is just a minor thing. It's a big deal to many many people lol. 

Dragon nest is a fun little game to play for a while but it has no reason to keep you playing for a long time, it's not an Open World MMO and with many F2P titles the support isn't there for it either.

It's safe to say though we have different preferences(considering I couldn't play Rift very long due to it being boring imo) so if you like Dragon Nest more than TERA, all the power to you, TERA does get faster at later levels though and I love the sense of progression. Every time I get a new skill or glyph it potentially changes my entire play style, quite refreshing.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

I'll throw in my 2 cents:

I thought the combat in Dragon Nest was much better than TERA.  More active, more fluid, more exciting.  I liked Tera's Priest better than Dragon Nest though (I like to be a healer and Dragon Nest doesn't have a pure healer class).

But more importantly (to me), I have to disagree with the OP and say Dragon Nest's cash shop is 100% p2w, which is the one and only reason I quit playing.  They may have completely changed it, but back when I played at release, the ONLY way to get the best upgrades for your gear was to spend a fortune in the cash shop buying the "prevent your gear from breaking" items, etc. just like the other 500 p2w games out there that use the same mechanism.   Also, costumes gave stat boosts, including run speed which was huge.  A deal-breaker for me, and for anyone else who won't support games that sell power in their cash shop.

• dragtecdragtec Member UncommonPosts: 3

dragons nest while fun (kind-a) = Free to Pay to Win

also lol CS 

Nexon - Support [email protected]

Mar 24 (3 days ago)

to me 

Greetings,

****Please note that this is an auto-generated message from Nexon Support based on your support ticket. If you are reading this message in your email, please understand that any replies to this email will not be seen by the Nexon Support Staff. If you would like to provide additional information please add a comment to your ticket.**** 

Unfortunately, we are continuing to experience a high ticket volume at this time. We have not forgotten you and we apologize that a GM has not yet been able to assist you.

Please note our Nexon Support business hours. We answer tickets Monday through Friday, 10am to 6pm Pacific time.

We will do our best to assist you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your continued patience,

Nexon Support Team

Ticket Information:

Date Created: 9/03/2011 03:03 PM PDT

i love this bi weekly email i get

• cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135

Iv played both and i am still playing/testing Tera and not Dragons Nest. Still thats my personal preference i don't expect every body to share those sentiments ... nor do i care =)

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

What level did you make it to in Tera? I thought the game was pretty average too, but then I started doing BAM's and a lot of open world PVP happened when doing BAM's. The two games don't even compare IMO. Dragon's Nest is pay to win like every other Nexon game.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Dragon Nest has faster, more exciting combat and is free to play. So, it's better hands down IMO.

C9 is similar to Dragon Nest without the fluff style graphics, so that's why I prefer C9 overall.

If I want to fight BAMs with limited controled combat then I will play Hunters Blade which is also F2P.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Actually Dragon Nest has tons of "kill x of y" quests, but you don't notice it because it's not open-world. DN is instance-based, and through completing the instance you're almost always going to end up killing x amount of y anyway, so it sort of tricks you into thinking you're not doing them by instead giving you mission-based objectives.  GW2 is doing the same thing, the DE's are just really clever ways of hiding the kill mechanic, which is great. You don't have to do away with something that works, just presenting it differently can make it more fun. That's what confounds me with TERA. There's a lot of potential there to try something different, but they didn't.

Graphics-wise, TERA is far greater than DN. But I don't particularly care about that (I still spend a lot of time playing snes/genesis games), and in terms of gameplay the only thing TERA has over DN is that it's open-world. Otherwise, the combat is far more action-packed in DN, not to mention the skills are more extravagent and satisfying (I'll take dropping a gigantic pulsing relic over a few balls of sparkly holy power any day), and the "themepark" mechanics are presented better. And it's free.

I should point out however, that it's far better to compare RaiderZ to TERA than DN. They're much more similar in that they're 'action-mmos' in an open-world setting with very high-end graphics (RaiderZ is absolutely beautiful, and f2p). 

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Dragon Nest is not even a mmo. 

/Thread

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

dragon nest is completely p2w.  in order to enhance past +6 and to even sell stuff you need cash shop item. Not to metion the pots as well. You also can get so much gold from selling these cash shop item that you can instant buy some of the best gears with those money.

Dragon Nest is fun, but after playing Tera its meh to me. the combat is more fluid but has no weight behind it at all like Tera. This is probably personall perference but been able to completely change which direction i'm facting in middle attack make my character look stupid. Like i'm flailing around like a fish out of water trying to hit something.

Also the grind is even worse than Tera, in tera at least your killing 10 rat than rabit than demons. In dragon nest its the same map over and over and over and over. Just lvl 16-24 had to run astrocovel lab soooooo many fcking times. End game is like freaken Wow, you can only run so many nest in a week so when your done all you do is nothing till next week come. Also Nexon sucks and totaly killed dragon nest launch so its population is so dead your end up soloing all your quest and it feel even more tiresome.

And ya i still got like  2 three month+ tickets still getting auto reply to -.-

While it is fun i don't think it can compare up to Tera with its pay to win cash shop, horrible host, and lack of population.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Can't argue opinions so I'll just throw mine out there. I thought Dragons Nest would be my game, I've been wanting a fun to play action game ever since I started Darkfall 3 years ago. I am all but done with tabbed targeting. Dragons Nest being instanced was an immediate turn off for me. With todays technology I have to have a seemless open world. TERA's open world PVP is icing on the cake, while I feel it needs some tweeks such as some form of penalties (a different discussion). 

To each their own, but in my honest opinion you can't really compare the two games on any level except for the way you control your character, as they are 2 completely different setups. I will gladly pay 15 bucks a month for TERA, you don't have to.

Originally posted by Kilrain

Can't argue opinions so I'll just throw mine out there. I thought Dragons Nest would be my game, I've been wanting a fun to play action game ever since I started Darkfall 3 years ago. I am all but done with tabbed targeting. Dragons Nest being instanced was an immediate turn off for me. With todays technology I have to have a seemless open world. TERA's open world PVP is icing on the cake, while I feel it needs some tweeks such as some form of penalties (a different discussion). 

To each their own, but in my honest opinion you can't really compare the two games on any level except for the way you control your character, as they are 2 completely different setups. I will gladly pay 15 bucks a month for TERA, you don't have to.

Will you glady pay 15 bucks a month for me too =D?

Ontopic, at first i thought i can stand it just doing instance after instance after instance. I could have if the servers weren't so dead, when you run with people at least its fun but when you have to solo everything it starts to become a chore when its the same thing over and over and over again. The thing that really hurts dragon nest is lack of things to do like WoW. You run your nest and your locked out for the week. After that you just sit around all day or try to do some pvp but ofc its unbalance as most f2p games are. At least WoW was a open world where you could have done something if you wanted to but dragon nest you just ran out of things to do. Why the population tanked and thus turn off more people because there isn't anyone to play with.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Will you glady pay 15 bucks a month for me too =D?

I see what I did there.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I followed Dragon Nest for years and when it first came out I was really enjoying it till the instanced gameplay just totally killed it for me. This is 2012 and no mmo should be instanced anymore and if it is I will not even touch it. People saying Dragon Nest is just as good or better then TERA is truly laughable. Go enjoy your instance linear gameplay / instanced arena pvp while I am exploring an beautifal open seemless world where pvp can happen anywhere and everywhere at any given time. See you and I would not want to be you. image

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Mannish

I followed Dragon Nest for years and when it first came out I was really enjoying it till the instanced gameplay just totally killed it for me. This is 2012 and no mmo should be instanced anymore and if it is I will not even touch it. People saying Dragon Nest is just as good or better then TERA is truly laughable. Go enjoy your instance linear gameplay / instanced arena pvp while I am exploring an beautifal open seemless world where pvp can happen anywhere and everywhere at any given time.

feel pretty much the same.   game seemed really great at first, until i got up to like level 6 or so, and i'm like "oh yeah......its all (except cities) instanced......that's why despite the great combat the world feels so lifeless.  

also the world design seemed a little too A to B tunnelly. 

man i would loveDNest if it was open world everywhere, and let you run in one direction for a long time without being railed by tunnels.

because of this, its ridiculous to compare it (or Vindictus) to Tera.   people like me won't ever play DN or Vindictus cuz they they aren't MMOs.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by Otakun

Dragon Nest has faster, more exciting combat and is free to play. So, it's better hands down IMO.

C9 is similar to Dragon Nest without the fluff style graphics, so that's why I prefer C9 overall.

If I want to fight BAMs with limited controled combat then I will play Hunters Blade which is also F2P.

the combat itself IS much better in DN.  being able to be constantly moving and dodging independent of your attacks. i agree on that one thing.  but i don't see how you can compare a non-MMO to MMO.  if it doesn't need to be an MMO, then there are alot of better small scale multiplayer action games out there than DN.

so how is C9?  is it a public open virtual world, or is it all instanced combat areas like DNest?

Corpus Callosum    

how does the PVP system work in DN?

is there a level requirement to participate?

are there enough players that you can find opponents at/near your level to fight?

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

My guess is TERA will go F2P in 6-12 months after launch, as they should have, considering it is everywhere else.

this is true of just about all MMOs released these days.  and its BY DESIGN.

they fully INTEND to go f2p after they milk as much as they can out of box sales & initial subscriptions (which pretty much always drop from launch day).  standard business practice.

Corpus Callosum    

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by corpusc

are there enough players that you can find opponents at/near your level to fight?

for starters u would hv to invest a certain amount of capital into DN to be able to then try to compete and pvp with other players.

there are pvp instance where u can join to pvp with other like minded players, think there is a level range for pvping

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

My guess is TERA will go F2P in 6-12 months after launch, as they should have, considering it is everywhere else.

this is true of just about all MMOs released these days.  and its BY DESIGN.

they fully INTEND to go f2p after they milk as much as they can out of box sales & initial subscriptions (which pretty much always drop from launch day).  standard business practice.

thats because no one wants to play in an empty server:p

I followed Dragon Nest for years and when it first came out I was really enjoying it till the instanced gameplay just totally killed it for me. This is 2012 and no mmo should be instanced anymore and if it is I will not even touch it. People saying Dragon Nest is just as good or better then TERA is truly laughable. Go enjoy your instance linear gameplay / instanced arena pvp while I am exploring an beautifal open seemless world where pvp can happen anywhere and everywhere at any given time.

feel pretty much the same.   game seemed really great at first, until i got up to like level 6 or so, and i'm like "oh yeah......its all (except cities) instanced......that's why despite the great combat the world feels so lifeless.  

man i would loveDNest if it was open world everywhere, and let you run in one direction for a long time without being railed by tunnels.

because of this, its ridiculous to compare it (or Vindictus) to Tera.   people like me won't ever play DN or Vindictus cuz they they aren't MMOs.

You can't get DN and vindictus combat because it would cause so much lag. The thing is highspeed internet isn't a common thing yet, until everyone have high speed internet any game like that would be impratical in open world. Having 4 people flying all over the map is one thing, even in DN when you get to lot of people it lags. Imagine open world like Tera when you get over 100+ people in 1 area all doing high speed movement flying all over the place.... ya can't even play at all.

DN pvp is only arena, you can set room by lvl if you wish but ya like people said to even remotely compete with people you have to gear your self out like crazy. Ranked pvp is only for people at lvl cap. pretty much how ever fps works really. only unbalanced lol like most f2p games.

• HestiaHestia Member UncommonPosts: 119

No.. just... no...

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by rexzshadow

You can't get DN and vindictus combat because it would cause so much lag. The thing is highspeed internet isn't a common thing yet, until everyone have high speed internet any game like that would be impratical in open world. Having 4 people flying all over the map is one thing, even in DN when you get to lot of people it lags. Imagine open world like Tera when you get over 100+ people in 1 area all doing high speed movement flying all over the place.... ya can't even play at all.

DN pvp is only arena, you can set room by lvl if you wish but ya like people said to even remotely compete with people you have to gear your self out like crazy. Ranked pvp is only for people at lvl cap. pretty much how ever fps works really. only unbalanced lol like most f2p games.

White geared Guardian<-(Tank) vs a Geared Crusader<--(Considered the ez mode pvp class at the time)

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I don't know from under where these cheap advertisers are crawling out of. First it was C9, then it was RaiderZ and now it's DN? Give me a break.

Anyone who wanted to play those (Vind, DN) have played those games or will be (C9, RaiderZ). They're dead in the water and using TERA to leverage them is just cheap.

They are DUNGEON CRAWLERS. Instanced up the wazoo and brutal cash shops. If you like that, FINE, go ahead and play them. What's that? You won't? Oh that's right, because hardly anyone is playing them, ha.

And still on the TERA combat business? Oh brother. If you like the feeling of swinging your axe as if it were a pencil, play the F2P cash shop ones. If you like feeling combat has actual heft and there are tactics involved, play TERA.

If you like this fuckery on your screen () then stick to DN or whatever.

If you like this other kind of fuckery on your screen () then play TERA.

*using grandpa voice* Get off my TERA lawn you F2P cheap combat kiddies image

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

STAY AWAY FROM NEXON GAMES.  They start off well enough, but after they get the initial mass of players they switch gears and suddenly everything is pay2win and content takes longer and longer to come out.   The NA branch is especially notorious for pretty much ignoring account hacking/botting/exploiting.

There was a MASSIVE hack way on Vindictus last September to November and the forums mods outright denied it at first, deleting threads that cropped up complaining about it.   At the end they admitted that there was a serious breach, but they basically did nothing until the Korean fix rolled over.   Nobody got their accounts/items back either.

Then there's the rampant botting/hacking/exploiting on the servers which the NA devs pretty much do nothing about.   When they do ban people they seemingly ban a ton of legit players while letting a lot of hackers off scott free.   Servers go down for maintenance once a week but have been getting progressively worse since last August or so.   The couple of times they took the server down for emergency maintenance to 'stablize' them, they ended up even worse than before.

Avoid Nexon at all costs.