Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Suggestion Box = SWG features

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by serariel

The following is a list off the top of my head:

Day/Night cycle

Player Housing

Multi Person speeders

Open Space

Open Worlds

Random Mobs

In Depth Crafting (SWG was mentioned several times by posters)

Entertainment Buffs

Multi World PvP ala GCW

etc.

These are some really good suggestions I noticed a couple days ago when I was playing that it never grew dark. LOL.

Also I would suggest adding random treasure chests to the worlds or lockers or whatever they are calling them. You fight these elites without any real rewards. I expect at least some type of chest in the area. 

According to those on the the SWTOR forums, having day/night would have broken the immersion of the game.

I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Day/Night cycle
    Player Housing
    Multi Person speeders
    Open Space
    Open Worlds
    Random Mobs
    Entertainment Buffs
    Multi World PvP ala GCW
    etc.

These are some really good suggestions I noticed a couple days ago when I was playing that it never grew dark. LOL.

Also I would suggest adding random treasure chests to the worlds or lockers or whatever they are calling them. You fight these elites without any real rewards. I expect at least some type of chest in the area. 

According to those on the the SWTOR forums, having day/night would have broken the immersion of the game.

I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Yeah, apparently, having the NPCs in a city in the same place both day and night is more immersion breaking than having no day or night at all.

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

Day/Night cycle

Player Housing

Multi Person speeders

Open Space

Open Worlds

Random Mobs

Entertainment Buffs

Multi World PvP ala GCW

etc.

There are, all over the place.  Often there are elites guarding them, but not always, and you will will not always find a chest behind an elite.

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

Day/Night cycle

Player Housing

Multi Person speeders

Open Space

Open Worlds

Random Mobs

Entertainment Buffs

Multi World PvP ala GCW

etc.

Are you trying to say that everyone who enjoys SWTOR is trying to claim this?  I think a better way to say it "according to a FEW on the SWTOR forums".  Lack a day/night cycle is one of my biggest issues with the game.

Originally posted by DaRoamer

Day/Night cycle
    Player Housing
    Multi Person speeders
    Open Space
    Open Worlds
    Random Mobs
    Entertainment Buffs
    Multi World PvP ala GCW
    etc.

Are you trying to say that everyone who enjoys SWTOR is trying to claim this?  I think a better way to say it "according to a FEW on the SWTOR forums".  Lack a day/night cycle is one of my biggest issues with the game.

I didn't follow the topic for days, just read what was there, seemed to be 50/50 but it wasn't a new thread and sometimes you miss context if you haven't seen the other threads around that time, so it may not be representative of their usual balance.
  • LadyAlyseLadyAlyse Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Well if they lose too many subs, they may be forced to pull an NGE in reverse hehe. That would be interesting.

Yeah, that would be great!  Too bad it won't happen. 

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=206:pre-alpha-video-2-is-released&catid=61:new-frontpage-news&Itemid=428

I am not looking for "SWG" in any Star Wars title

I've been watching this game very closely, they are adopting many many features from SWG. A lot for other games and their own ideas too but if you follow the forum, it has a majority of SWG players both pre and post NGE. 

I'll be in on the testing that starts in June so my  jury is still out but this is a very promising mix of themepark,  complex crafting, player run ecconomy, player run houseing and cities, ohh and no prefab Pillsberry profession system.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

If you read the official forums http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349  you see the features of SWG being asked for with great frequency. I have this imagined idea of the Bioware development team booing and hissing as they hear about these requests. Anyone think BW will isten and actually implement things like player bounties, real player housing, chairs you can sit in, multi-player vehicles, open worlds, real space game?

That must mean that many swg vets are playing swtor. Hmmmmmmmm........

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

If you read the official forums http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349  you see the features of SWG being asked for with great frequency. I have this imagined idea of the Bioware development team booing and hissing as they hear about these requests. Anyone think BW will isten and actually implement things like player bounties, real player housing, chairs you can sit in, multi-player vehicles, open worlds, real space game?

you must be mistaken, I've been told many times by posters that there is no such thing as Many SWG vets.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

you must be mistaken, I've been told many times by posters that there is no such thing as Many SWG vets. 

Be fair now ignore_me, people did not say that there were not many SWG vets.  They said the game lost most of it players thanks to poor design changes by SOE, bugs that were never fixed, lack of any real additional content added to the game, and really horrible customer service.  In the end they did not have many ACTIVE players, but that is different from the total number of players a game had (Vets).

As for many of the features listed, I see nothing wrong with a lot of them, other than the fact that I think forcing people into PvP via a "player bounty" system is a bad idea.  Pretty much the rest of the suggestions fall into the "We want MORE content" type of requests, which is basically a good thing for most any game. 

The only content I see as a problem and possibly troublesome with immersion is if they add the day/night cycles, BUT do not go back and re-animate the cutscenes to coincide with those cycles.  It would be pretty bad to be walking around at night and talk to a contact only to have the cut-scene taking place in full daylight.  This is only a problem with contacts in the outdoors obviously, but could also be a problem when traveling.  Get to a new planet, land in daylight, but then walk out the ship at night?  Not good.  An issue I take with the cycles on a personal level is that almost every MMO out there does not make the cycles meaningful or does so in only very small areas.  In other words, there is no difference in patrols, spawn rates, spawn types, or pretty much anything else.  The cycles are nice, but if they change nothing then they make the game worse for me AND waste a lot of time and money in the coding as well.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by DaRoamer

Day/Night cycle
    Player Housing
    Multi Person speeders
    Open Space
    Open Worlds
    Random Mobs
    Entertainment Buffs
    Multi World PvP ala GCW
    etc.

I didn't follow the topic for days, just read what was there, seemed to be 50/50 but it wasn't a new thread and sometimes you miss context if you haven't seen the other threads around that time, so it may not be representative of their usual balance.

Having said that, the guy above is saying just that, maybe it isn't just a few of the SWTOR fans. They need not fear though, Bioware have no intention of turning the game into a "living, breathing world™" to ruin their sense of immersion
  • serarielserariel Member Posts: 12

Ok so this might be a lame question but what do you mean would have broken the immersion of the game?

He said putting in day/night cycles would break the immersion
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Yep. However I think the sad reality is that their damned coders couldn't figure out how to make their incredibly system heavy dynamic lighting work with day/night cycles. Same reason every planet is a wading pool.

Back then their excuse that it was to save development time and to not break immersion made sense to me. But now days I think it was really just shorthand for "We don't know what the f*ck we're doing."

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

Originally posted by Tardcore

Yep. However I think the sad reality is that their damned coders couldn't figure out how to make their incredibly system heavy dynamic lighting work with day/night cycles. Same reason every planet is a wading pool.

Back then their excuse that it was to save development time and to not break immersion made sense to me. But now days I think it was really just shorthand for "We don't know what the f*ck we're doing."

I would pay real money to know what they think about the suggestions that have been made on the forums about the design.

• Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250

Let me first state that I was a DIEHARD SWG player....I'd still be playing pre-NGE if they had well enough alone....

But do you SERIOUSLY think they would make SWTOR anything like SWG.....now known as one of the biggest FAILURES of MMO history???  REALLY?

You fools should stick of PLAYING video games and leave MAKING them to people with a clue.

Originally posted by Darklighter1

Let me first state that I was a DIEHARD SWG player....I'd still be playing pre-NGE if they had well enough alone....

But do you SERIOUSLY think they would make SWTOR anything like SWG.....now known as one of the biggest FAILURES of MMO history???  REALLY?

You fools should stick of PLAYING video games and leave MAKING them to people with a clue.

So in the OP I reference the number of posts in the official forums asking for these features by name, or by concept. I'm not trying to be insulting, but you are being simple. The history of SWG is well known to everyone, yes we understand what happened. However, SWTOR is being reviewed and analyzed as being bereft of content that engages players post level 50, and there seems to be a lot of posts wanting the components (not the whole game) that was SWG. Do you MAKE VIDEO GAMES (to use your all caps method of emphasis) ? Because even if you do the BE QUIET defense is ridiculous.  

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

to me the main thing is the Space Game,  this is STAR WARS  after all, this is a game on rails and it kind of has to be because of its story telling with voice overs.  I would stream line PvP, just have servers with World PvP and foget about Hutt ball and the other nonsense,  and jsut concentrate on the space game.  If SWG could invent Jump to Light speed (which I liked) than bioware can do the same!

I see people making these huge lists of what they would like to see bioware do but that is unrealisitc so just concentrate on the one thing that is most important to a game with outer space in it

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

As a SW /MMORPG fan, i can only hope that LA gives another License to a more competent dev company that will actually make a real SW mmo. I would hate to know that TOR is the last so called online game that will have the SW IP attached to it.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

There were mid to high 100k ish folks holding low 200k ish subs before NGE.

If even half of one percent, of that number, carried on like those here on MMORPG do, it could make a hell of a mess out of the forums. We see what the same 20 or 30 do here. Remember....this was the same folks that held sit down strikes in game, and disrupted others folks gaming by doing so.

Which is what they do in this forum....disrupt those looking to talk about the game they play. Of all the games I have ever played, I have never seen such immature behavior.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Originally posted by Moaky07

If even half of one percent, of that number, carried on like those here on MMORPG do, it could make a hell of a mess out of the forums. We see what the same 20 or 30 do here. Remember....this was the same folks that held sit down strikes in game, and disrupted others folks gaming by doing so.

Which is what they do in this forum....disrupt those looking to talk about the game they play. Of all the games I have ever played, I have never seen such immature behavior.

Generalize much?

How mature of you.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Originally posted by musicmann

As a SW /MMORPG fan, i can only hope that LA gives another License to a more competent dev company that will actually make a real SW mmo. I would hate to know that TOR is the last so called online game that will have the SW IP attached to it.

I'm afraid LA is a major contributor in TOR being as it is now.

Like the prequels, the cartoon, and Clone Wars Adventures online, Lucas is on record stating he is only interested in marketing to children. Don't think SOE did the NGE all their own either, LA pulled the strings on that game all the way through until they yanked the license to try and force everyone into the new children's game called TOR.  Don't think for a second LA  isn't micro managing TOR like they did SWG and all the single player titles that where half ass done the past decade.

I don't care if anyone demands I show proof with Lucas being on record, do your own homework if you want to prove me wrong. I'm too lazy ATM to do it for you. Just Google Lucas, there's multitudes of info to shock you.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by Bardus

Originally posted by musicmann

I'm afraid LA is a major contributor in TOR being as it is now.

Like the prequels, the cartoon, and Clone Wars Adventures online, Lucas is on record stating he is only interested in marketing to children. Don't think SOE did the NGE all their own either, LA pulled the strings on that game all the way through until they yanked the license to try and force everyone into the new children's game called TOR.  Don't think for a second LA  isn't micro managing TOR like they did SWG and all the single player titles that where half ass done the past decade.

I don't care if anyone demands I show proof with Lucas being on record, do your own homework if you want to prove me wrong. I'm too lazy ATM to do it for you. Just Google Lucas, there's multitudes of info to shock you.

I agree, without Lucas, no way they would of changed that game that much, and people think its crazy talk that they would change swtor, but hes made a studio do it before....I doubt it would be to make it more like SWG either way, and maybe it would work (probably not) this time...Look how Lucas is always messing with his movies, he likes to tinker, and people can be in denial all they want, TOR is a disappointment, had a good launch but its losing subs like a sieve....So you may get Gipeto to start playing puppet master with another MMO...

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Sandbox

Originally posted by Moaky07

Generalize much?

How mature of you.

I dont have to generalize, as this very forum is the very essence of  what I claim. I also agree with the "mature" comment made about me, although you can leave out the sarcastic tone. The second I spend my time spamming the forum of a game out of hate, or worse campaigning daily for it to be cancelled even though others play, then feel free to call me on it. I view it as childish antics, and look down upon those that partake in it.

The Pub general discussion forum is where the merits of sandbox vs themepark belongs, and there is even a stickied thread for it.  Instead we are forced to deal with the constant "I want SWG 2", which is no different than if I went into the ArcheAge forums and started bellyaching that it needs to be themepark focused etc. Maybe a more apt comparison would be carrying on in the EVE forums, as that game is launched, and set as far as its intended playstyle.

To me it is an issue of respect among fellow gamers. The mature gamer is never going to carry on bitching that a game didnt cater to their playstyle. Instead,  they look to follow games that do.

Thanks for attemptiing to discount my experience with everything though. I will give ya a C- for effort.

EDIT BTW I throw in about lack of PVE in SWG, but that is a cancelled game. During the PRECioUS or CU eras, I never had much to say. I simply didnt play it. I should of stipulated that I am talking about live games, but anywho....there it is.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

This discussion has been closed.