Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2 Time spent not rewarded?

DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

From what i understand so far, gear means nothing in Guild wars 2, in both pvp and pve. So that means if you spend hours farming items you wont be better then a dude who say.. just created his character and was boosted to level 80. Gathering nodes are for everyone, so that means everyone can gather from a single node once before it goes away.

So i ask, is time spent playing the game not rewarded? When gear doesnt matter at all, how is it any different then playing call of duty or any other fps game? Why are we doing dungeons if the gear you aquire doesnt matter at all?

Please  stop saying for fun. maybe i am not apart of the generation that find everyone being equal all the time to be fun. I think if i spend 40 hours a week farming dungeons while some guy logs on for 2 hours a day just to explore, /dance on a mail box and maybe pvp for 30minutes before he goes for his dinner with the wife and kids, we should not be equal.

It seems like the concensus i am getting from all these news videos are, people love the idea of everything being equal, and the only diversity comes from costume looks. Im not sure when MMOs became about playing barbie, but i want to do a lot more then just dress of my character to set myself apart from the rest.

Are people really for gear not affecting anything at all besides looks? IN pvp and pve?

[Mod Edit]

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Comments

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Like it or not but people will tell you ' for fun'. But how good it is in implemention we will see when game comes out. So far after so many years of playing MMOS i have seen very few people who play just for fun and not rewards. 

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

GW2 is a skill based game that features Player vs Player not Player vs Gear.

Originally posted by Cromica

GW2 is a skill based game that features Player vs Player not Player vs Gear.

GW2 focuses as much as on pve as it does on pvp and imo even more on PVE in some ways.

• blayugsblayugs Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

From what i understand so far, gear means nothing in Guild wars 2, in both pvp and pve. So that means if you spend hours farming items you wont be better then a dude who say.. just created his character and was boosted to level 80. Gathering nodes are for everyone, so that means everyone can gather from a single node once before it goes away.

So i ask, is time spent playing the game not rewarded? When gear doesnt matter at all, how is it any different then playing call of duty or any other fps game? Why are we doing dungeons if the gear you aquire doesnt matter at all?

Please for the love of fucking christ, stop saying for fun. maybe i am not apart of the generation that find everyone being equal all the time to be fun. I think if i spend 40 hours a week farming dungeons while some guy logs on for 2 hours a day just to explore, /dance on a mail box and maybe pvp for 30minutes before he goes for his dinner with the wife and kids, we should not be equal.

It seems like the concensus i am getting from all these news videos are, people love the idea of everything being equal, and the only diversity comes from costume looks. Im not sure when MMOs became about playing barbie, but i want to do a lot more then just dress of my character to set myself apart from the rest.

Are people really for gear not affecting anything at all besides looks? IN pvp and pve?

I feel sorry for you if you think that 40 hours a week infront of a computer screen should be more rewarding than a wife and kids.

I love the sound of the system that they have created and when it becomes available for release I plan to play for fun :D

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212

FOR FUN

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

A few things there based on what I've read about the game so far.

Gear does matter, but it isn't that difficult to obtain (like in GW1), meaning that the guy that was just boosted to 80 will still not be as powerful as you are if you got to 80 the regular way because you'll have unlocked/gotten more skills and better gear than he does. If you've been 80 for a while and the new guy got to 80 recently, however, the gear gap will not be as big as it would be in WoW, for example, if there is one at all.

I'm meaning boosting in the GW2 sense, though, as in, getting someone high level temporarely boost you to high level so you can play with them. If you mean boosting in the WoW sense, as in, getting a high level take you on dungeons or higher level content so you get more XP, that won't happen in GW2 either. A high level going with you to a low level dungeon or area will be de-leveled so it won't be that much more powerful than someone in the level range of that dungeon, and the XP and loot gain is tied to your level, so even if they take you to high level content you won't gain more XP or loot than doing content on your own level.

Other than that, yep, seems that people (myself included) really is for gear not mattering that much in PvE or WvW, and not mattering at all in structured PvP (battlegrounds)... :)

BTW... time spent having fun isn't time badly spent.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

For fun.

For Christ's sake stop assuming that just because everyone has the ability to get the best gear just by being level 80 that everyone is equal.  Don't you get it?  The point is about developing your SKILL as a player.  That way, when you beat someone in PvP it actually means something.  If I get beat by someone because they have better gear than me, it means nothing except that I have to go get equivalent gear.  If I get beat by someone when our gear is equal it means that person is a better player than I am.

Please stop confusing equality of gear with equality of skill.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• hypersanhypersan Member Posts: 63

Its just a different way of doing things. There are many other MMORPG's that have the classic mechanics that remain very addictive. 

Yes its just like any other game for example a shooter like COD but set in a fantasy world with some tab targetting elements. RPG elements and a personal story line. You can think of it as a novel that you write as you progress through your personal story. Most will play until the novelty wears off there is no carrot. Just like in Gears of war you play to get new skins and the satisfaction of being the best. 

As a vehicle for delivering story content its like a serialised novel. In game terms think of the expansions not in terms of adding power but in terms of adding more story that you play through and discover between your dynamic events and you personal story. 

They are trying to carve out a niche in the mmo space which downplays power and progression and highlights story.

Personal skill level is the only differentiator between characters as the more skilled will acquire better looking gear. 

If you are not the most skilled and for some reason cannot improve your skill level there is no grind through time option to be able to display gear which displays a higher skill level than you have. If there was such an option then it would render skill based progresson somewhat obsolete. 

IN the end like in guild wars the highly skilled players will end up playing the highly skilled players for months to come. The less skillful will fall to the wayside in frustration or go back to the games that give them instant gratfication for time spent. 

That is untl the next expansion. 

Arena net will not dumb down the games or the super hard dungeons because there is no reason for them to. A box sale is a box sale. The most i see them doing is inserting a cash shop option to improve your looks but it probably would not be the same exact armor that you would get for being really really skilled. 

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Did you read anything about the game, it is a full mmorpg, this mean there is character progression, you have all the tool usual mmorpg have, skills, stat, crafting, buff, gear stat booster, all the panoply. So its not like your normal fps at all. Its just that the game is not built only on time spent = i win. For example in usual mmo what determine if you dodge or not is if you have more level than your opponent, and there is a formula, a dice roll. In gW2 its you actually have to hit the dodge button. Time is rewarded, but it not the alpha omega of the game, there is quiet a difference here. An other example is that pve, pvp and crafting gear all have similar stat. It doesn't mean that you will have the same gear at lv1 and lv80, or the same toon. And even if it will be leveled,  you'll see some difference.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Please for the love of fucking christ, stop saying for fun. maybe i am not apart of the generation that find everyone being equal all the time to be fun. I think if i spend 40 hours a week farming dungeons while some guy logs on for 2 hours a day just to explore, /dance on a mail box and maybe pvp for 30minutes before he goes for his dinner with the wife and kids, we should not be equal.

Words cannot express how terrible I feel for you that you treat games as a chore and only get enjoyment out of being better than someone in a virtual world by wasting your entire life inside it.

Most avid PvP players enjoy a challenging fight, not the gear itself. I look forward to knowing that I beat someone in a fight because I outplayed them, not because they invest more time in a game than real life to aquire gear that makes them innately more powerful than anyone who hasnt invested as much time.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Gear affecting PVP is and will always be stupid. 

As far as PVE goes, i have a sneaky suspicion that the progression is going to be similar in a way to FFXI.  Obviously not to that extreme since gear swaps on the fly are not possible in GW2, but people will be after many different sets of gear for certain specific things.

The whole having 1 set of gear being the best is out the window and i'm really happy about that.  I cannot stress how much i hate tiered sets that have everyone looking exactly the same.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

people need to stop this way of thinking. GW2 is not about gear grinding. You wont spend hours and hours grinding better gear, GW2 is trying to break that old gear grinding mold we are tired of already. The game will be rewarding for your time spent but dont expect to spend 10 hour grinding for the best gear in game because you wont find it. The game focus more on equality (like someone said in otehr post), theres no "im better than you because i got better gear". In GW2 player skills are what matters not grinding good gear.

:)

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Gear does matter, but it isn't that difficult to obtain (like in GW1), meaning that the guy that was just boosted to 80 will still not be as powerful as you are if you got to 80 the regular way because you'll have unlocked/gotten more skills and better gear than he does. If you've been 80 for a while and the new guy got to 80 recently, however, the gear gap will not be as big as it would be in WoW, for example, if there is one at all.

Incorrect. If you go to the Mists (PvP zones) you get given a full set of level 80 gear and full access to all skills and traits. A level 1 who is bolstered to 80 is the same as a level 80 player.

• blayugsblayugs Member Posts: 108

The carrot for this game is skill.

The more you play the better you are using your character, there is no gear grind the reward is being better at playing your character.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

I feel like this, Lets say I have 2 friends that are going to play this game with me, one has time to dedicate everyday, one has time to dedicate every other day  and me only on the weekends. In any other game, I would be stuck not getting to the cool content or being able to PVP fully because or even PVE because I lack gear and levels.

Now in this game, I do not have to worry about that, I can keep my slow pace and join higher level friends when I want, and they can come help me when they have nothing else better to do, and all this time I can pvp without having to rage abotu my gear. Even WvW has so much stuff people can do at a lower level or even in a smaller group that its just amazing how well thought out it is.

Just my 2 cents

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

To the OP.

My answer is Yes, I am really for gear not affecting anything at all besides Looks.

What should affect your results is your skills, and your skills come from practice and the people who have more time to playthe game will have more practice and be successfull more often than the people playing for 2 hours a week.

However, everyone will have Fun like that, and no one will be punished for having a familly and kids versus the guy that has all the time in the world.

The capacity to Farm for material goods should not dictate Success. Success should be dictated by the quality and merits of the people playing their Avatars in game.

I am not reward Driven, in 15 years of playing MMO's I never played them to have more gold or more gear than others and resent the ones that give me "Artificial Power" in any way shape or manner and specially when these are handing that power to my Avatar for Combat based on my time spent in game doingthings that are not Combat.

Cheers!

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

Originally posted by evilastro

Incorrect. If you go to the Mists (PvP zones) you get given a full set of level 80 gear and full access to all skills and traits. A level 1 who is bolstered to 80 is the same as a level 80 player.

I really doubt that since that lvl 80 will have more skills to choose from compared to lvl 1 character and what lvl 80 is wearing will be definitely better than what lvl 1 is wearing. Even GW1 had stats on armors even though not extreme to the extent we see in other MMOS but GW2 has stats on gears.

Originally posted by Ankur

I really doubt that since that lvl 80 will have more skills to choose from compared to lvl 1 character and what lvl 80 is wearing will be definitely better than what lvl 1 is wearing. Even GW1 had stats on armors even though not extreme to the extent we see in other MMOS but GW2 has stats on gears.

No 

gear will be the same. 

only looks will change. 

• RuienRuien Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by blayugs

I feel sorry for you if you think that 40 hours a week infront of a computer screen should be more rewarding than a wife and kids.

I love the sound of the system that they have created and when it becomes available for release I plan to play for fun :D

Your augument is flawed. Yes a wife and kid are more rewarding than a game. Should the fact that you have a wife and kid mean you deserve everything in the game tho?

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

gw2 gear matter on pve cause of armor and stat in pvp what matter is stat cause evryone is adjust to lvl 80 whit his max atribute armor and hp.

like gw 1  in pve and in pvp peopel gonna look for unique armor skin nothing more

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

No this is for structured pvp, in the mist you'll get level and thats all, you won't have skills and gear. Well i'm pretty sure thats how it goes.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

That's not exactly how it works.

There are two kinds of PvP, both take place in the mists.

First one is structured PvP, that one is like WoW battlegrounds, short scenarios where two teams compete for objectives. That one is like you describe, everyone gets the same gears, all skills and traits unlocked, so everyone is on the same power.

Second one is World Vs World (WvW), a set of 4 maps where a persistent 2 weeks long PvP battle is fought with different kinds of objectives and even PvE bosses to kill and events to complete, you fight against 2 other servers here. Whichever server gets the most points after the two weeks gets bonuses that apply to everyone in server in PvE and WvW. Here you get boosted to level 80, but your gear and skills unlocked remain the same you had when on PvE, so a "true" level 80 will have an advantage over a lower level boosted to 80.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Read what I said.

Originally posted by dadante666

gw2 gear matter on pve cause of armor and stat in pvp what matter is stat cause evryone is adjust to lvl 80 whit his max atribute armor and hp.

like gw 1  in pve and in pvp peopel gonna look for unique armor skin nothing more

What amuses me is that this late in the devlopment cycle one of the things that made GW2 unique form the start is just being discovered by some. 

I suspect that a large proportion of the fan base have been reading things into GW2 that the automatically expect to be there because its a fantasy based MMORPG. 

Unfortunately what the expect may not be what is delivered. 

Originally posted by hypersan

No 

gear will be the same. 

only looks will change. 

I would like to see that once the game releases because i doubt that what lvl 1 is wearing will have same stats as what lvl 80 is wearing not to mention the pool of skills avilable to lvl 80 compared to lvl 1 player.