Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trial accounts blocked for existing users.

ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/73642-trial-accounts.html

Dear Community 

Since the introduction of trial accounts there have been numerous instances of abuse of these accounts by currently active players. The trial accounts are intended only to give very new players a limited degree of protection during their first few hours of play.

As of today, no existing account holder with Mortal Online will be able to create a trial account. Systems are now in place to prevent current account holders from creating said trial accounts. 

To be clear, trial accounts are for those who are trying MO for the very first time, they are not there to be taken advantage of by the active player base. 

Thank You.

It is well known that the trial accounts wen't really working too well, lacking the needed restrictions in order to not affect  the gameplay for the rest of the players. Now SV came up with new solution, preventing existing users to create trial accounts, which I am not quite sure about.. how would that work? What are those systems Discord speaks of? Email block? IP block? Can go around any of them..

What puzzles me even more is that SV seems to be again targeting their customers with bandaid solutions instead of re-designing the problemetic feature.

Comments

• MordragMOMordragMO Member Posts: 136

Wow, what's this, SV just missed another chance to be taken serious?

"Systems are in place." Prolly the same system that delivers the AI and all the dupes. What system? Do people have to send them their ID or driving license to make a trial now?

• wmada2kwmada2k Member UncommonPosts: 193

Well played Star Vault. We dont need no trial account blocks, scoutings etc anymore =)

Nice one!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Overall, I'd say this is a good thing to do.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Good decision SV.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

It's indeed good decision, however the execution is questionable. How will they track people? By IP or email? Both are easy to go around. It sounds a bit like DRM solution, which causes more harm then good to the legit customers.

There are other alternatives, such as making yellow flags go blue once they leave a certain "newbie" zone, a smaller zone around each of the new cities. That would solve the scouting issue and several other, I am sure there is more solutions as well.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Considering their trial has probably given them a total of 6 new players ( I'm feeling generous today ), they'd have been better off just scrapping the trial instead of setting themselves up to look like fools ( yet again ) when their "systems" don't actually prevent shit.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

So does that mean the extra influx of people supposedly running around ingame were just people with multiple trial accounts :p

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Connmacart

So does that mean the extra influx of people supposedly running around ingame were just people with multiple trial accounts :p

Pretty much. Maybe SV will catch on to what they just admitted unwittingly. But I doubt it.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Originally posted by wmada2k

Well played Star Vault. We dont need no trial account blocks, scoutings etc anymore =)

Nice one!

Implying this will stop it.

It's a good idea but it's utterly futile.

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Pretty much, that "population increase" they were boasting without being able to give any number, was probably trial accounts + existing customers with a sub checking in to see how its like before Awakening.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Originally posted by raff01

Pretty much, that "population increase" they were boasting without being able to give any number, was probably trial accounts + existing customers with a sub checking in to see how its like before Awakening.

Proof?

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by ltank

Proof?

Well considering they've been droning on about population increases for quite some time. "No guys it for real this time'

But the financial statements SV releases always shows a decline in subscriptions so that leaves you with three possible solutions.

1) The large amount of people being see were trial accounts (with enough of them being exploited by excisting subs to require this block)

2) People have found a way to play on mortal online without a sub or a trial account.

3) There was no population increase and it was just another population increase 'viral marketing campaign.

SV has the boy who cried wolf and viral marketed it into the company who cried Population Increase.

Proof?

Proof? simple logic : fanboys claiming population is going up several times since release, with each time proof with numbers that it was infact going down, so assuming its the same this time around as well, otherwise I'm sure SV would have come up with real numbers. Unfortunatly there are still no numbers to back up any claim of population going up, however, stock is still flatlining at 0.15 SEK per share, which is almost the all time low.

Stock market  usually reflects how a company is doing and thus, how population is for a game.

Reason why I used the word "PROBABLY", unlike MO fanboys who make claims and saying things like "this time its official, followed by a false statement"

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Proof?

The proof is coming, one way or another next month when the financials come out. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Talonsin

Proof?

The proof is coming, one way or another next month when the financials come out. 

indeed. But guess what, then SV, ltank and the other fanboys will tell the same thing they told after each time they were proven wrong by financial reports : they will say that the report was made before awakening and that the numbers don't reflect the reality. Its an endless cycle of excuses until they file for bankrupcy, which they will blame on Epic, the community, and MMORPG.com

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Originally posted by evicton

Proof?

Well considering they've been droning on about population increases for quite some time. "No guys it for real this time'

But the financial statements SV releases always shows a decline in subscriptions so that leaves you with three possible solutions.

1) The large amount of people being see were trial accounts (with enough of them being exploited by excisting subs to require this block)

2) People have found a way to play on mortal online without a sub or a trial account.

3) There was no population increase and it was just another population increase 'viral marketing campaign.

SV has the boy who cried wolf and viral marketed it into the company who cried Population Increase.

So basically, no. Pretty much what I thought.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

that's sad

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

I dont have an active sub atm since i canceled both my subs after testing TC (came back after taking a long break since Dawn which was crap and poorly implemented) and finding it crap, poorly implemented and worthless in general. Was planning to give the game a last shot after Awakening and tbh i wasnt so optimistic cause SV managed to drain out all of my patience. I ve never thought about it so far and the amount of 30 Euros aproximately for activating both of my accounts for one month is not a big deal for me. Βut now that i read about the trial accounts geting blocked for existing users i cant help myself for not thinking once again that SV is hungry for money and tries to milk every single cent they can from players that had enough with their crap but still have a drop of hope in their hearts and wanna give MO another or a last shot.

I know that people where abusing trial accounts for several reasons and with several ways but i wanna think of myself as a legitimate player and i ve never used a trial account apart from few weeks ago, that wanted to see if the population was indeed "booming" as some people including GM Theia where claiming in this forums. Given the fact though that SV somehow knows if a trial account is existing user or not i would rather see them ban the ones who where abusing the accounts instead of forcing existing users that wanna try out the game to pay money to them. As i said again i cant explain it in any other way than they are hungry for money.

I m tempted to leave it as it is, uninstall the game from both of my pc's and never look back, since i dont have faith in them anymore and i do have a strong feeling that they dont deserve a single cent from me and they will miserably fail to deliver this patch as they did in all the previous ones. As i ve said 30 Euros is not such a big deal but still i work hard to get my money and honestly i dont feel like giving them away for nothing in return especialy to someone that deceived me in the past, tried to do so again and i m afraid he wont hesitate doing it again, if he thinks he has a single chance on succeeding.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well im new to the game and nearly every city i have been to has been quite well populated.. also the guild i joined has PVP nearly every night so im having a blast and the population seems good enough. a lot better than Darkfall EU server was a few months back..

Originally posted by Caldrin

well im new to the game and nearly every city i have been to has been quite well populated.. also the guild i joined has PVP nearly every night so im having a blast and the population seems good enough. a lot better than Darkfall EU server was a few months back..

Good ! I assume the reports coming next month will reflect that right? Else it will mean what I said above.

• MordragMOMordragMO Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by Caldrin

also the guild i joined has PVP nearly every night

Uhhh. Well if that isn't a sign that SV should start ordering bigger servers already. :p