Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 wack-a-mole combat debunked here:

2»

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

One thing makes me laugh about this. How is waiting for attacks to come off cooldown ANY different from, say, WoW. Rotations are common for all classes in WoW if people want to maximise their DPS. Everyone has abilities on CD's.

The levels of hypocrisy on these forums is staggering at times.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by Ambros123

Talking about stuff based on assumptions is ignorance.  The crowd that talk highly about GW2 if anything have the highest MMO experiances as a lot of issues that have been in the industry are what is addressed.

What are you talking about? How much MMO experience do you have? I been playing MMO's since their inception back to Archmage and Meridian 59. Just because people talk this game up has nothing to do with their MMO experience in the slightest. As far as I am concerned your all abunch of lemmings and I cannot wait to hear the same people here like every other hyped release come back complaining in droves shortly after release.

All the people I grew up gaming with, the MMO experienced people have pretty much left this useless genre for good...

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

One thing makes me laugh about this. How is waiting for attacks to come off cooldown ANY different from, say, WoW. Rotations are common for all classes in WoW if people want to maximise their DPS. Everyone has abilities on CD's.

The levels of hypocrisy on these forums is staggering at times.

Yeah, but you have to circle strafe and occasionally hit the dodge/roll button while waiting for your skills to come off CD, instead of standing in one place...

Circle strafing equals skill, you know!

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Master10K

The whole elaborate weapon swapping + changing skills looks good. Not too sure about having only access to a limited amount of circumstantial abilities at a time though. Would have to play it to see myself.

LMAO... Sorry but your new sig is priceless. image

As a member of this esteemed GW2 community, I approve. image

Thanks, Master. Glad you can appreciate it :)

Playing around with animation in photoshop is great fun. ^_^

*coughs* On topic ...  Stuff like the thief's stealing abilities and talents are pretty original too rite?

edit: and thanks Reskaillev

Wish I could be arsed to delve deep into Photoshop but I just find it boring compared to video editing with After Effects.

But back on topic... I really don't care about whether something is innovative or original; hell my first MMORPG was LOTRO, when it went F2P, so there's still a lot that I haven't experienced regarding this genre. All that really matters is what is fun on a personal level and what one could get out a game. Though I wonder if any other MMORPG allows players to rain down artillery, as far as GW2. That could be considered original. image

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Lobotomist

We all read the concern of some beta testers that combat is boring, repetitive - and that it only consists of pressing any ability that came out of cooldown.

Shame they gave beta acess to such lame players that obviously have no first idea of how to play the game properly.

Here is collection of (legit - non nda breaking) vids of very skilled warrior player , giving complete combat breakdown.

Once and for all debunking the vile rumours spread by noob beta testers

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/guild-wars-2-bam-hunter-beta-edition-day1/

I think those videos are more of a demonstration of what happens when an unskilled player takes on some of the more challenging content by himself or in a smaller group and slightly underleveled.  

He got hit by virtually everything the cave troll tossed at him in the 3rd video.  (To see an actual skilled player take on the same trolls at an even lower level, check out this video that's been tossed around a bunch in the past month: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR0-S9SQCW4&list=PL3F7E82F16AF977E3&index=5&feature=plpp_video)  

Against Oakheart, I'm not sure he ever noticed the healing pods, as he ignored them every time even though the mechanics of the fight are listed right below the bosses health bar.  I wonder if he thought it was odd that the boss kept healing to full for the first 5 minutes.

What hilarious is the whole Skilled Warrior PVE title in the vid.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

ya OP your right i just wouldn't get too worked up debunking the perceptions of certain dumb gamers its a full time job, but thanks for the cool video's they did show some things i had not seen before so thank you

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by cyress8

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by Lobotomist

We all read the concern of some beta testers that combat is boring, repetitive - and that it only consists of pressing any ability that came out of cooldown.

Shame they gave beta acess to such lame players that obviously have no first idea of how to play the game properly.

Here is collection of (legit - non nda breaking) vids of very skilled warrior player , giving complete combat breakdown.

Once and for all debunking the vile rumours spread by noob beta testers

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/guild-wars-2-bam-hunter-beta-edition-day1/

I saw the vids, it looks boring and repetitive tbh. Is all about 1 1 1 1 1 1  2 3 1 1 1 1 and repeat while u wait for countdowns, or change weap and repeat the same system, and is not even innovative bc TSW have the same sistem but with 7 skills not 5. Fanboys cant be objetive so better if i try it for myselft next month.

Please try it. The combat is very good. I usually swap to range before a fight with my rifle, stack the bleed condition using the 1 key a few times, move in, use 5 for my knock back, press ~ swap to greatsword, press 2 - Thousand Blades, press 3 - Whirlwind attack, press 4 or 5 - Bladetrail or Rush, so I can keep close to the mob. That was my main way to fight a mob that did not use conditions. I usually try to keep range on mobs that are condition heavy. I start off with 3 - Whirlwind Attack, (close enough so it will hit multiple times and give me some distance from the mob) press 4 - Bladetrail for the cripple, press ~ swap to rifle, press 1 to stack some bleeds, press 3 - Volley, for multiple quick shots.

I've stayed pure greatsword using Thousand blades and Whirlwind if I know I can keep multiple mobs close together and just risked the damage. (Still won't do this if the mobs stack bleeds. Bleeds suck ass!)

You see, right here, and I bet you guys missed it. This guy gets it!

Its not just spam 1111223 rinse repeat. I had no idea MMO players were so stuck in thier mold, I knew it was there, but not this bad!

Combat in GW2 can be simple or intense, as you see from cyresses example, it can be very intense. With so many skills to choose from you can come up with many strategies for many situations. Or as darkpony said, you may find yourself gimped beyond hope.

This is not the same old combat

EDIT: thanks OP for the vids, good stuff!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by MorbidCurio

The whole elaborate weapon swapping + changing skills looks good. Not too sure about having only access to a limited amount of circumstantial abilities at a time though. Would have to play it to see myself.

It's not a terrible system, really.

Honestly, it's just a different way of creating a skill or talent build...whatever the hell you want to call it, same difference.

Six hotkeys with a limited number of points to put in to your different schools. This does make your choice of school and hotkeys more important, but it also means there's always going to be abilities that you never use.

That's poor design.

You should never make an ability or spell that a player can't always get some use out of. If you have access to a spell, you should be able to use it. At any time.

Just my opinion of course.

Yup. It's like packing your suitcase and getting on a plane with a random destination; you might end up wearing bermuda shorts and slippers on Nova Scotia. *shivers*

Much of the mastery of combat in many other games are about having access to a wide variety of skills (of which many circumstantial). Knowing when to use which one separates the skilled player from the *cough* less skilled player.

Though I think in some games (like Swtor) they went overboard with that; I'd rather have one good stun with a reasonable CD, than four crappy, very circumstantial ones. Fumbling for the right abilities is a chore in some games; I am talking 25+ hotkeyed abilities and consumables in the case of Swtor. That's a bit too much to my liking but 10 is the other end of the spectrum I guess.

Ok. At a minimum, a character that has unlocked all ten ability slots will have access to 15 skills once in combat. The five right bar skills and two sets of left bar skills, based on the two weapon sets. Elementalists have the four elemental attunements, which alter the weapon skills completely. Even though they don't have a second weapon set during combat, the attunements mean they have access to 25 skills while in combat. 5 for each attunement and the 5 right bar skills. Engineer is similar, but rather than attunements, they have kits, like flame throwers, grenades, bombs, etc...

Other professions have mechanics that can grant them additional skills during combat.

That's a pretty solid amount of versatility in combat and very few skills I've seen are so situational that they will be rarely used.

However, don't forget that you can freely change your weapon sets while out of combat, along with your right bar skills. Even though you need to go to a trainer to redistribute trait points, you can swap slotted traits with in your trait lines out in the field, (out of combat), as well. So you have good versatility once locked into combat, but pretty exceptional versatility when approaching (or re-engaging) challenges that might require a more specific strategy than your general skill load out is best suited for.

We haven't even talked about cross profession combos, which will add another element to skill use when playing in a group with others.

Your skills are very manageable in combat and, depending on your skill load out, offer fair to excellent versatility during a fight, but you have a lot more versatility based on adjustments you can make out in the field. I can't think of another MMORPG that allows you to change your skill set so freely in anticipation of extraordinary or highly specific challenges. (Rift gives you up to four builds to switch between, but GW2 gives you great latitude to fine tune and assemble multitudes of builds right out in the game world).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated