Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

day/night cycle

Omegam0Omegam0 Member UncommonPosts: 25

so I have been reading a few posts about gw2 having a day night cycle and it got me thinking. What current MMO's out there currently have a day/night cycle, and what effect if any does it have on the game. I do miss the original everquest style of it, and want to see what the closest thing we have to that is.

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    MO is very dark at night, however it's a buggy sandbox game, it has a free trial though.

Most developers who understand MMOs put in day/night as its cheap to do and makes your world seem more real which helps immersion and thus player retention.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

LOTRO has a day/night cycle. As I recall, it takes about three real-time hours to complete a full day/night cycle in the game.

There are a couple quests and at least one location dependent upon the day/night cycle. For example, the Trollshaws zone has trolls that walk around at night but are turned to stone in daylight. And there is a quest that has to be turned in at Midnight.

You can check it out for free too.

Edit: WoW has a kinda-sorta day/night cycle. It never gets very dark at night but the skies are different.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Originally posted by Omegam0

so I have been reading a few posts about gw2 having a day night cycle and it got me thinking. What current MMO's out there currently have a day/night cycle, and what effect if any does it have on the game. I do miss the original everquest style of it, and want to see what the closest thing we have to that is.

It's not going to be out for quite a while, but ArcheAge has a wonderful day/night cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCqGO-qu8eM

This is my ArcheAge plug for the day :P

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I just realised that all MMORPGs that I played for more than a month or two had a day/night cycle: DAoC, Haven&Hearth, LotRO, Ryzom, Vanguard, Xsyon.

Looks like I'm a weirdo. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• Omegam0Omegam0 Member UncommonPosts: 25

A ton of the MMO's have the cycle, but im more curious which ones have a day/night cycle that effects the game. Do special enemies come out, does it get really dark, etc etc. So far the only one mentioned that seemed awesome was Lotro. having enemies that turn to stone during the day is kind of neat.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Rift have a day/night cycle too.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Age of Conan had a day/night cycle (1 real day = 4 game days IIRC). There was at least one quest where you had to follow the ghost of a woman that only appeared at night.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Certain monsters only spawn in the day, or at night.  Allows for the proggresion of months and years to occur in the game, and moon phases, and said moon phases, or days, effect certain things.  For example In-game-Friday cann effect spell damage, while in-game-sunday effects healing magic. 

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• karter64karter64 Member UncommonPosts: 96

I've played 3 MMO's and they have all had day / night cycles. 

In Asherons Call you could turn off the night effect and since it din't have any effect on the game I always turned it off.

WoW also has a day / night cycle, but the nights aren't to dark so it's just and ambiance thing, other than the one village outside of Shadowfang Keep where the villagers are human by day and werewolf by night.

Currently playing EQ2, and it also has a day / night cycle. So far it doesn't seem to have any real effect on the game, but it does get really dark and I can't find an option to turn it off. It isn't proportioned right in my opinion either with about 2/3rds play time being at night. It is probably the main reason why I probably won't upgrade to the gold membership.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I guess most larger MMORPGs got a day/night cycle. Bloodmare Requiem had certain monsters only appear at night.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    WoW had a village which was full of neutral peasants during the day but hostile werewolves at night. That's about as far as I can remember the day/night cycle actually affecting the game, though.