Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: The Closed Beta Preview

Comments

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Harryhood
     Wasn't a fan of the cartoony graphics either.  While the combat was different it just seemed like a cheap Korean knock off of WoW.
    er, I can go on and on about the things that I think aren't good but this is nowhere like WoW. If you are referring to kill x quests then those were never solely the domain of WoW.
    And if you play on a pvp server the differences become even more apparent.

Yeah the comparisons to WoW are a generic comment to someone who played 5 minutes of the game only looking for the similarities that ALL MMOs share.
  • FlashBomFlashBom Member Posts: 1

i want this *_*

• nobloodnoblood Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by remyburke

TERA won me over during this beta weekend, after spending about 8 hours with it. The combat gets really fun after you level up a bit and get used to it and the graphics are amazing. Sure, aside from that, it seems very themeparky, but it looks to be a great 3 month time killer before GW2 arrives and sweeps me off my feet.

QFT.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I generally don't agree with Murphy, but in this case I have to say he is spot on.

I didn't think I would like Tera but I actually loved it and I will buy it.

The combat is nothing new in the game industry, but it is somehow refreshing in MMORPGs and it is fun!!

The BAM fights require skills from the tanks...........it is impossible for the Healers to heal a tank who doesn't parry at the right time, since they hit very hard

So no zerging through the fights, because it requires real player skills while the equipment is just marginal, and I like that (I will play a Lancer as main)

Since I am not playing anything and GW2 will be fairly Casual, I will have some spare time to play Tera too.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I love TERA because it gets people's panties in a bunch.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Tried it out, more like than dislike it.  Want to test it more and then decide but right now I lean to clicking the Buy button.

I was most interested in most classes not named Slayer :P  But after testing and playing some I have to say the Slayer is the class I am leaning most towards now with Berserker right behind it.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I'm not going to lie, I found combat in TERA to be refreshing and fun. The graphics are also very good and the performance was absolutely fantastic for the most part.

With that being said, the absolutely generic quests and the constantly reused mobs killed it for me. I must've killed a few thousand deer and those tree looking things by the time I hit level 19.

If the game did not require a monthly fee, I may buy it. As it is though, I'm not sure if the fun combat is enough to justify the subscription, at least for me.

• SteazySteazy Member Posts: 39

This article is right on.  I'm not a fan of asian style graphics, and hated on this game for the past year since my friends started talking about it.  But once you get off the started island the landscape changes alot and you dont have to play some tiny female character. After playing myself in the past couple beta weekends and getting to lvl 32 I can't wait to play more.   The open world pvp is some of the funnest I've played, and there is an abundant ammount of it in an open world which i have missed in mmos for awhile.  If you're into open world type pvp i suggest you try it out.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Steazy

This article is right on.  I'm not a fan of the asian style graphics, and hated on this game for the past year since my friends started talking about it.  But once you get out of the started island the landscape changes alot, and after playing myself in the past couple beta weekends and getting to lvl 32 I can't wait to play more.   The open world pvp is some of the funnest I've played, and there is an abundant ammount of it in an open world which i have missed in mmos for awhile.  If you're into open world type pvp i suggest you try it out.

Just need to continue to ignore the NA audience until it stops QQ'ing to have it nerfed so it actually stays as a for fun thing. Trying to suggest bounties to kill outlaws or adding in a guard system all turn people off PvP. Hopefully they keep it the way it is, carebear free(pardon the cliche term) and just fun.

I spent all my time not grinding BAMs/Dungeons PvPing like a madman in a group.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

about the bams, no theya re not fun, most of then epople asked for a group to do, me I soloed pretty easy, too easy to read waht the mobs will do, BTW I hit lvl 25 on last beta using a slayer, I give then kudos for making something better then SWTOR, but since SWTOR is  a single player with Multiplayer function its not mean much.

same with most pks out there, always open with the same skill, easy to just run out or just counter then, but since they bring like 2-4 friends to help with the slower run speed in combat make fleeing almost impossible.

craft is really a lost cause a lvl 22 droped blue greatsword from SB (the first instance) is a stronger then a lvl 30 GS unless you can put that lvl 30 one at +9 and had some nice enchants, but if you are like the ones who complain about RGN then yeah it have here like all mmos.

the politics I can see how it would work using old games who had then, get used to top guild having all control and no way for most of player base change that.

skills nothing new here, you have to aim this one at least, but even so since most attack skills hit more then one target per attack you can just run over gather a huge mob and wipe tehn rinse and repeat.

side note from what I know this game will ahve montthly fee maybe it will become F2P in 2 years or so more or less

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

loving this game. i am looking forward to hopefully more outdoor raids because games relaly have taken that away from us. im not a fan of instances, though this has plenty of those as well. BAMs offer a lot more open world grouping and its a blast! Though i think i will be joining a pve server because i feel like the PVE is really where this game shines. being factionless makes the pvp feel so unimportant. Im not a griefer ill go play a FPS to piss kids off. That said i would like the GvG ruleset in the pve servers and look forward to really focusing on 5-20 man content. I feel the pvp servers are really just for the zerg/spam invite guilds/ large gaming communities. Though that has been fun for me in the past I think a truly smaller guild with a pve focus will get the most out of this game for me and many others.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Good combat, Nice graphics and enviroments. But thats about it that is good.

The major turn off for me on this game was that You only have 3 equipment slots that displays on your character. Chestpeice, gloves, and boots. Thats about it.. all the rest is runeslots and rings necklace. This was a big turn off for me, because it shows this game dosnt have very much in content at all when it comes to equipment. The game itself dosn't have very much content to be a P2P game. Waste of money. Eveen Diablo 3 has more content in it then this game does, and Diablo 3 is not a MMO.

Nice to see people enjoying the game though. The game itself is a work of art.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I am impressed MMORPG. This was a very well written article that stressed the strengths and weaknesses of the game. Not just its strenghts or just its weaknesses. I hope to see more articles of this caliber in the future.

+1

PS: If you plan on playing Archer, dont stay at max range!!!!!!!! Can't stress this enough, your DPS drops by 40%. You do more damage the closer you are to the mob.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by trash656

Good combat, Nice graphics and enviroments. But thats about it that is good.

The major turn off for me on this game was that You only have 3 equipment slots that displays on your character. Chestpeice, gloves, and boots. Thats about it.. all the rest is runeslots and rings necklace. This was a big turn off for me, because it shows this game dosnt have very much in content at all when it comes to equipment. The game itself dosn't have very much content to be a P2P game. Waste of money. Eveen Diablo 3 has more content in it then this game does, and Diablo 3 is not a MMOs.

Nice to see people enjoying the game though. The game itself is a work of art.

Isn't basing the games content on armor slots a little shallow?

I mean you've got the two earrings and 12 crystal slots, that already makes a lot of slots other games don't have. Not to mention the special event dye is so in-depth you can have your armor be just about any colour you can imagine. That's a big plus for me. Plus theres cosmetic headgear you can earn at later levels if you so desire, so it's there just doesn't offer statistical advantages.

I would like to see more armor slots, but in reality, I feel there's more than enough and basing a games content on something like armor slots, really? :P

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

pretty fair about the bad frankly ........cause its the same old same old with quests

• neosurfeurneosurfeur Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by trash656
    Good combat, Nice graphics and enviroments. But thats about it that is good.The major turn off for me on this game was that You only have 3 equipment slots that displays on your character. Chestpeice, gloves, and boots. Thats about it.. all the rest is runeslots and rings necklace. This was a big turn off for me, because it shows this game dosnt have very much in content at all when it comes to equipment. The game itself dosn't have very much content to be a P2P game. Waste of money. Eveen Diablo 3 has more content in it then this game does, and Diablo 3 is not a MMO. Nice to see people enjoying the game though. The game itself is a work of art.

Diablo 3 will take at max 3 -4 days non stop and it will be over have you played the beta?
    The first chapter take not even 1 day to do.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I think this is a very fair and accurate preview.  TERA really isn't my kind of game, but I did like the combat and the visuals.  As also stated in the preview, I'm still interested in seeing how the political game is implemented, and how meaningful it is to the game world.

Overall, I may still pick this game up.  It's a solid themepark game with fun combat, though the questing system really is the standard thing, which is getting really old.  The X factor for me is the political meta-game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

I played it a little bit over the weekend as well.  I made it to 14 and I just couldn't bring myself to log on after day 2.  Sure, it may get more interesting at level 20; but, why would you waste a gamer's time making them grind 20 levels to reach interesting part of the game?  It seems rather unproductive if you ask me.  If they think the game is too complex and that we would need that extra time to figure things out, then perhaps they should implement a better starting area, that isn't plagued by a long series of boring kill/collect quests.  One thing that turned me off was all the buffs, I mean, is this really going to be one of those games that revolves around your character stacking up an insane amount of buffs to be worth a damn?  I sure hope not; but, in anycase, I do enjoy seeing some of the ideas that are thrown into these random asian MMOs; but, they also tend to be unappealing to me personally.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

I love Tera  ,  i've been having more fun playing the weekend closed betas, than the whole entire time i played Swtor.

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

When i playd beta, although dungeon i did were easy, people started to look for Lancer as tank and only ranged dps (as melee take all the boss ae)...

• diabisdiabis Member Posts: 35

I think the key point here is, that it is just like or lack of this.  They have been on this game for years now and when the grind games where killing so many they stayed with that line of thought. Yes it still to some degree makes for good gaming in Asian markets, but we are seeing big fails everywhere else. I guess we have to hope some day the asians will get tired of kill 10-1000 questing to see major growth from their game devs.

Look for the Rose with the Thorn.

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

U can skip some zones questwise, but it's really the quests rewards that level you up.

TERA ain't meant to be a grindfest like L2 was and it's also a game that's meant to play in Groups (so much for a good part of the suckers that play it tho and who prefer to struggle alone than group & win). In TERA, u get a group, u quest, u win. U solo, u take 10x the time to do the same stuff, u lose.

For the quests themselves, besides GW2, i don't see any other MMORPG that does em differently, even SWTOR's quests were, in the end, kill stuff 90% of the time.

BAMs are quite awesome as well and they get much much more clever the further you level. Those spiders outside SM were already enough to wipe some groups tho lol.

The only thing that worries me a little bit with TERA is the OW PVP System, this game's an invitation to ganking and zerging, so it'll really be community dependant.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• CarolinethCarolineth Member UncommonPosts: 1

Who havent been in tera beta? its nothing fancy tho.

• fittyfhaavfittyfhaav Member Posts: 5

I played in my first CB this weekend. I only played a Priest and lvl'd to 21 in approximately 15 hours of gameplay. I'm on the fence whether or not I want to buy/play this game. Here's my synopsis:

I found the game easy to lvl, but incredibly "questy". There wasn't anything about the gameplay that was the least bit challenging. Almost all of the areas had the same type of mobs and groups of mini-mobs. The scenery was beautiful and the characters were well defined visually. Drops were nice as I got many green gear items and those green wep/gear crystals. The mount was nice to get around the huge map. Like the GvG system in the open world.

Now for some things that confused me about the game:

A few times I found myself being ganked by teams of 2-4 players that were 10-15 lvl's higher than me. There are only so many places a lowbie can go for lvl appropriate content and it seemed like these higher lvl's that were in red text were camping the spots just to grief lower lvl players. It was so bad at one point that I got frustrated and just logged out of the game. I love PvP and I don't shy away from combat, but when three lvl 30's roam around a lvl 18 instance (the frog one) just to PK, I have to question game mechanics.

The priest really wasn't that much fun to play. I was using the same 3 or 4 skills all the time to dps. I only had one self heal which had a cast time. In some of the PvP encounters that I had, it was not easy to dps and to heal myself with the targeting system. I had no instant heal and no skills to mitigate damage. For a squishy cloth wearing priest, I was surprised at the lack of ranged skills. All of this leads me to believe that the priest is not a class that excels at solo pvp at a low lvl.

I'll play in the next CB and roll another class to see if my game experience changes.

• Vore_TechzVore_Techz Member Posts: 122

Sheer luck of getting a key?

I have got a key for myself and like 10 of my friends every Beta....

Love how he acts like it was difficult to get one.... LOL!!!!

Getting a GW2 Beta key is a bitch...

(>^_^)> MMO Veteran <(^_^<)
    Currently Playing: Tera Online