Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Big Ass Monsters Preview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

What the heck is a Big Ass Monster in TERA? Find out in our latest preview!

Basically, beginning around level 18 or so, you’ll be able to seek out these BAMs either alone or in a group and attempt to defeat them. Unlike world bosses in your typical MMO, I was able to find tons of the first type of BAM found in the game, the Basilisk, in their designated hunting grounds of the Oblivion Woods. These creatures have a boatload of HP and hit like a truck, but if you’re skilled enough, you can solo some (or maybe all?) of them. 

Read more of Michael Bitton's TERA: Big Ass Monsters Preview.

Comments

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

Did not get high enough to take on any BAM's yet, but this looks like fun!

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Some are much more difficult than others, basilisks being standard affair and with that different classes make solo'ing easier or harder. As a lancer, it is easy albeit slow, same with a warrior. But even then some will give you trouble.

As a slayer I managed to solo Nagas, Kumas and Basilisks the same level as me(solo'ing them when you are a higher level doesn't count), it takes a lot of focus but it is a fun and rewarding challenge. Ones that were to difficult for me to solo were Fangspawns and Swift Lizards, I never gave Ovoliths a fair shot, did them in groups for a long time, same with Orisks so I can't state the difficulty from my perspective. Crabs/Ants/Vulcans/Hydraths I never really group played against or solo'd so I can't state complexities.

It's fun and good way of leveling/making gold in a group and it can be a challenge if you want it to be, especially solo, or pulling multiple when in a group. Not to mention, they are abundant, from level 20-60 you'll see them all over the place.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265

I thought the hermit crab BAM at lvl 32 (hes a world boss which is a BAM that is much more difficult) had a lot of tricky attacks at first, the fight lasted around 15-17 mins and almost all of his attacks nearly one shotted you. But I lanced it and the group succeded. =]

Although it was impressive to see basalisks and the other BAMs first time. The true feeling of "I think I'll sub this game for a bit" didn't hit me until I fought a true world boss as a lancer.

If you really want a challenge play lancer. I can't speak for any other class. But as a lancer you're the man with most of the challenge in his hands, and for some reason I just love that feeling in Tera.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by derek39

If you really want a challenge play lancer. I can't speak for any other class. But as a lancer you're the man with most of the challenge in his hands, and for some reason I just love that feeling in Tera.

Yeah, I play a lancer and I love the feeling of some huge monster bearing down on me, the screen shaking, loud noises from everything, rubble flying everywhere (as part of the animation) etc.

I actually looked up the game "monster hunter" and at times fighting BAMS feels like that game looks.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lumbardilumbardi Member UncommonPosts: 3

I agree with the above statements. While I have yet to play a lancer (I'm a bezerker) I found that soloing BAM's can be fun but time consuming. The higher the level the harder it is to solo a bam.. however this game is EXACTLY like monster hunter, which really intrigued me.  I noticed in another article they mentioned crafting, which is extremely expensive, as far as weapons and armors go.  Probably close to 200,000k to keep it going. This game also has boasted about there controller support, which is mediocre and needs some fine tuning, (specifically giving them analog controls for a smooter movement system). Last, but certainly not least, One thing i would like to see is a system that is being introduced in Raiderz, a perfect world entertainment game.  This game is f2p with a shakier live combat scheme, however they introduced the grappling system and the monster weapon system. the grappling system is pretty awesome, the monster doesnt just hit you, it grabs you and throws you, eats you and other sort of cool animations. If this was introduced into tera i might, just a little bit, cry. The other system is the monster weapon system. Hit a monster in a certain spot enough times and that party of him will fall of Ergo, hit a dragons spiked tail and it might fall of.  You could then proceed to hit itwith its own tail.  Seeing these systems introduced to either all bam's or extremely hard bam's (like the one at the end of the bastion dungeon), would make the game alot more intense. I know its a longshot but man it would be awesome. 

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

As a veteran Monster Hunter player, I can say that BAMs do not compare... although I certainly wish it would. BAMs are rather slow compared to even the slowest of the fights in Monster Hunter, and BAMs are not as fluid when it comes to how they switch to one set of attacks to another. On top of this, their body parts do not break or get cut off, all of which are part of the Monster Hunter series.

With that said, TERA is still fun to play if you have never done an Action MMO (of which there are numerous out there... they just happen to be all catalogued as Korean Grinders and get ignored by most of the western player population.) I also agree that the graphics are very impressive.

I am still on the fence on wether I will sub to this game or not, but it's not out of the question.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

When do we get bosses the size of something in Shadow of the COlossus in our MMO's :(

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Sephastus

As a veteran Monster Hunter player, I can say that BAMs do not compare... although I certainly wish it would. BAMs are rather slow compared to even the slowest of the fights in Monster Hunter, and BAMs are not as fluid when it comes to how they switch to one set of attacks to another. On top of this, their body parts do not break or get cut off, all of which are part of the Monster Hunter series.

With that said, TERA is still fun to play if you have never done an Action MMO (of which there are numerous out there... they just happen to be all catalogued as Korean Grinders and get ignored by most of the western player population.) I also agree that the graphics are very impressive.

I am still on the fence on wether I will sub to this game or not, but it's not out of the question.

Are we now seriously comparing a single player playstation game to an open world mmorpg? Because if we do I'd like you to direct me to a BF3 mmorpg with 10.000 people and a seamless map please. And I obviously want them to have the exact same gameplay.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by Sephastus

Are we now seriously comparing a single player playstation game to an open world mmorpg? Because if we do I'd like you to direct me to a BF3 mmorpg with 10.000 people and a seamless map please. And I obviously want them to have the exact same gameplay.

Lumbardi stated that this game was "exactly" like Monster Hunter. My reply was meant to debunk what he said. Monster Hunter is a great game, and shouldn't be downgraded to what TERA is gameplay wise. TERA is good for what it does, but Monster Hunter it is not by a long shot.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

It's does not feel like Monster Hunter control wise and gameplay wise, only the combat is somewhat like monster hunter but not all the way. Monster Hunter is a game to hunt down monsters and big monsters, use their bones and materials to craft specific weapons, armor, and items, along with helping out the local guild in certain villages. The crafting in Tera in this game is no way like monster hunter, and the crafting quests is the most money draining crafting out there that it has no profit what so ever. The game becomes boring after constently getting the same generic quests of kill x of y quests, gather x of y, go over here and report, same shit all the time.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Well the crystal system makes up for lack of weakspots actually assigned to monsters, as they give benefits in certain aspects like ones that do more damage to knocked down monsters, enraged monsters, boss monsters, do more damage from behind or more damage when your health is low. Different classes in different situations would use different crystals to make the fight more successful. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

The only saving grace for me is that BAM's sound like an amazing experience and a challenge for a solo player with skill.  Too bad the rest of the game is mediocre at best "FOR ME".

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by darkedone02

It's does not feel like Monster Hunter control wise and gameplay wise, only the combat is somewhat like monster hunter but not all the way. Monster Hunter is a game to hunt down monsters and big monsters, use their bones and materials to craft specific weapons, armor, and items, along with helping out the local guild in certain villages. The crafting in Tera in this game is no way like monster hunter, and the crafting quests is the most money draining crafting out there that it has no profit what so ever. The game becomes boring after constently getting the same generic quests of kill x of y quests, gather x of y, go over here and report, same shit all the time.

try raiderz then, its follow the MH setting for items, any item you need to craft, so farming bosses, and mobs in genral for drops its commom, the boss fights are hard enough too a lot more then whis bams in tera, solloing basilisks and kumas are easy and not challeging,

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by alkarionlog

try raiderz then, its follow the MH setting for items, any item you need to craft, so farming bosses, and mobs in genral for drops its commom, the boss fights are hard enough too a lot more then whis bams in tera, solloing basilisks and kumas are easy and not challeging,

The BAM's get more moves and move abilities and use them faster and faster the higher level you get.

So yes, the level 20 BAM's are easy ish.   (As they are the first BAM's in the game i'd hope they'd be the easiest ones in the game)

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Umm... I guess it's a perspective issue, but I don't see any "Big Ass Monsters".

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by derek39

Yeah, I play a lancer and I love the feeling of some huge monster bearing down on me, the screen shaking, loud noises from everything, rubble flying everywhere (as part of the animation) etc.

I actually looked up the game "monster hunter" and at times fighting BAMS feels like that game looks.

Well, I can't speak on TERA's behalf since I'm not in it's beta...

But yeah, I would imagine the BAMs to be equal towards the more dangerous creatures you hunt. Some have attacks that can come close, if not entirely, one-shot you. It depends though on your armor and how well it protects from certain elements, or any of the special bonuses it gives points towards. The lance weapon (and gunlance as well) also both bost a rather high defensive capability because of the greatshields they carry around.

Though, there is no magic or healing-capable classes in the game. The closest to magic would be the ranged gun weapons, which have unique types of ammo, as well as the support-focused horn weapon, which could be used to attack (much like the hammers), but had the ability to play notes. With the right combination the notes could mimic a variety of special potions, or even heal, though the horn wasn't present in Monster Hunter Tri. Instead a skill (if I'm remembering) allowed you to heal others nearby when you drank down a potion.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by moosecatlol

Umm... I guess it's a perspective issue, but I don't see any "Big Ass Monsters".

I have seen a video of a giant baboon monster in KTERA that has its rump glow when it becomes enraged.

Does that satisfy the requirement?

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by moosecatlol

I have seen a video of a giant baboon monster in KTERA that has its rump glow when it becomes enraged.

Does that satisfy the requirement?

I think it does.

Though I gotta say, I noticed that in any game where hunting monsters is a priority, if they have a baboon-like thing, it's arse will turn red...

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Congalala

Though, so far, Monster Hunter is the only one with a Super-Saiyan ape, at least from what I've seen, which is a little sad.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Rajang

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

TERA = Lineage 3 - source code stolen from NCSoft by former NCSoft developer group that worked on Lineage 3.

google - ncsoft against blue hole lawsuit

TERA = Lineage 3 = PvP focused MMO. How soon will you get tired fighting BUMs?