Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This MMO is revolutionary for one reason...

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

uhhhh Rift. You ever bother to look up while you guys were criticizing the game?

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

In the same vein as the OP, here are some other ways GW2 is revolutionary:

1) The use of an avatar to represent your character

2) You actually play it over the internet

3) It is in a fantasy setting

LOL

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Havn't seen a thread crash and burn like this for a while.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The word revolutionary is used far too often.

If anything about GW2 is revolutionary it is that it as the first themepark MMO is moving away from regular questing and replaced it with scaling multiplayer DEs instead. DEs in themselves aren't new but the idea to replace quests with them is something we never seen before.

A lot of the game mechanics are interesting and innovative, but not revelutionary.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Whilel we're lauding Arena Net for their "think outside the box" mindset, I'd also like to use this opportunity to applaud them for including weapons in the game.  I can't tell you how sick and tired I am of always having to beat up mobs with my bare hands in other MMOs.  This is a true revolution in gaming, folks!

Dude, did you know they actually added in effects to your skill with those weapons, they are really excessive and cover the whole screen with explosions and fire and sparks and shit, it's so epic and fresh!

But seriously, I was more impressed that they are actually removing things as well, mounts are such a novelty, they are not efficient, why not remove them, that's thinking outside the box! They also replaced the sub fee with an in-depth cash shop, which is AMAZING, truly revolutionary, no one has done this!!!

/sarcasm off.

I am not bashing GW2, but this is getting out of hand, I see so many threads claiming things revolutionary that are in tons of other games, and claiming things they remove are also revolutionary and amazing, or thing they don't add are makes it amazing because it was useless in other games. All these while never playing it yet either I might add.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

I think this topic is most appropriate for...

/FACEPALM in caps.

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by Isasis

It has a day/night cycle.

A nice change of pace from the constant day/night in other games and MMOs, or the day/night not being dynamic and only happening at certain parts of the story.

This is revolutionary because a lot of games are starting to get rid of the day/night, because it is much too hard to code. However, Arenanet sees the power of the day/night and even has certain events happen depending on the time of day.

Arenanet has proven that even the hardest thing to code in a game (MMO or singleplayer) is day/night and they've done it.

Nice job Arenanet. :D

Everquest had a Night/day circle from the start... So no, it's not revolutionary

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

sorry op not even close to revolutionary.  EQ did the day / night cycle the best by far and i have yet to see anyone come close.

C

A nice change of pace from the constant day/night in other games and MMOs, or the day/night not being dynamic and only happening at certain parts of the story.

This is revolutionary because a lot of games are starting to get rid of the day/night, because it is much too hard to code. However, Arenanet sees the power of the day/night and even has certain events happen depending on the time of day.

Arenanet has proven that even the hardest thing to code in a game (MMO or singleplayer) is day/night and they've done it.

• DarknezzzzDarknezzzz Member Posts: 82

I can't call the day/night on it's own a revolution, but the alive event system depending on whether it is night or day is quite new, at least for me.

• Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37

if your talking day/night cycles and revolutionary  i think that has to go to TSW or PS2. assuming they end up looking the same way they did in the demonstrations. transitions looked straight up sexy.

Originally posted by Darknezzzz

I can't call the day/night on it's own a revolution, but the alive event system depending on whether it is night or day is quite new, at least for me.

It is not, Lineage had the same thing 10 years ago. A lot of rather nasty creatures like shelobs spawned only during the night and went away when the sun went up.

It was in fact common with zones that were a higher level at night than day back then.

Even early EQ2 had stuff like that.

The thing anet did there is to have a look on old stuff that actually were fun and put back some of them again, like exploration.

Originally posted by Darknezzzz

In EQ2 many quests, in game events, monsters and such depend upon day and night cycle.

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

I think the OP must've been trolling for trolls.  Quite successfully I might add.

Originally posted by Ankur

In EQ2 many quests, in game events, monsters and such depend upon day and night cycle.

That is just true for the old stuff, and they removed a lot of it when they revamped the start zones around q and freep. There still are some stuff, like those hunters in the wood in antonica but they are fewer and fewer.

On the other hand can certain weather spawn mobs in GW2 as well, like thunder can spawn lightning elementals and that is a new at least to me. :)

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

My favorite day/night cycle is MO. Truly dark. Even though most people turn up their gamma at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQZ0VIy9MA8&feature=related 

As far as day/night second favorite is EQ, then darkfall and then lotro.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Day/night cycles are awesome, but...... I dont know. I'm a coder and I can't see why it hard to code at all.

• ReborncRebornc Member UncommonPosts: 42

Its not a new feature. But at least its a feature in that game again. Too many AAA titles chose to not implement it in the last year and most of those who had day& night didnt  use it as a gameplay-relevant feature.

The sad thing is that its actually worth to tell if a game got it in these times.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by Ankur

Canines in the service of Lord Inglip? His arm grows long, indeed...

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

The real big question about this cycle is:

Who comes 1st, the night or day?

Originally posted by xDayx

My favorite day/night cycle is MO. Truly dark. Even though most people turn up their gamma at night.

Lineage had it better, even the gamma wasn't that much help back then. Elves had IR vision in a predator (bad Arnold movie) looking style that worked though. Other people had torches, or saw really badly.

I miss that in modern AAA mmos.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

what IS cool is that some events (probably dealing with ghost ect) will only trigger at night and some only during the day. I love that they are actually USING the day/night cycle instead of just having it in the game.

FFXI is the only other game I can think of where certain mobs only came out at night and it made for some really fun moments.. the sun would be going down and eveyone in the entire zone would all mass run to the zone entrance because the insanely though ghosts and skeletons would come out at night.... great memories!

• krakkenkrakken Member Posts: 200

thats cool!

is there also dynamic weather (miss sandstorms and stuff from the good ole swg days)?

Originally posted by natuxatu

what IS cool is that some events (probably dealing with ghost ect) will only trigger at night and some only during the day. I love that they are actually USING the day/night cycle instead of just having it in the game.

FFXI is the only other game I can think of where certain mobs only came out at night and it made for some really fun moments.. the sun would be going down and eveyone in the entire zone would all mass run to the zone entrance because the insanely though ghosts and skeletons would come out at night.... great memories!

As we said earlier, most of the old MMOs did the same including EQ and Lineage.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by xDayx

Lineage had it better, even the gamma wasn't that much help back then. Elves had IR vision in a predator (bad Arnold movie) looking style that worked though. Other people had torches, or saw really badly.

I miss that in modern AAA mmos.

Night was darker than this in Lineage 1? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Saw-Kc2Ogk 

I played L1 for a week or so, and dont remember the night that well other than it looked black and white.