Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anarchy Online: Fia Tjernberg Interview & New Engine Video

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com has partnered with Funcom to bring our readers a brand new interview with Anarchy Online Game Director Fia Tjernberg. In addition to that, we have a first-ever video featuring the new look that Anarchy Online will sport when the new engine sets into place. Read on!

MMORPG.com: When it was launched Anarchy Online was a risk in terms of making a sci-fi style game in a market of fantasy games. Tell us what that was like?

Fia Tjernberg: When Anarchy Online first launched it was one of the very first graphical MMOs, and it set many standards for the games we see today. They did take a risk – doing things that hadn't been done before. I imagine that the team working on it at the time really believed in this game, and they didn't see it so much as a risk – but an opportunity to create something new. I try to have a similar attitude. (:

Read more of Bill Murphy's Anarchy Online: Fia Tjernberg Interview & New Engine Video.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206

video dosnt work?

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

The video is set to private. See?, I still belive this is all made up, there never will be a new engine. Did you really see it Bill? DID YOU????? ;)

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

LOL! Nope, it's active now. Thanks for letting us know. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138

looks fantastic,but is it ever going to be used ? we have been seeing new engine pics and vid for over a year,and i have a sneaking suspicion that the entire game will not be overhauled,the character models need to be overhauled too,if they do this correctly they will have a brand new game that alot of people will want to play again, i for one loved the game but i can not stand looking at the dated grafics anymore

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I hope they overhaul the UI and character movement/feedback to more modern controls.  I never could get into it because I'm so used to how WoW, Lotro, EQ2 etc. allow me to interact with my character in the world. 

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Looks amazing. Can't wait to dive back in with my lvl 220 adventurer on Rimor. It has been so long AO. But looks like i am coming back for sure.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

ah excellent cant wat for this as it might actually bring me back to the game :)

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

One of the absolutely best MMO games ever released. I love to see they are trying to keep it going with a new engine for a new decade :-)

Sure, it had horrible issues at launch and the first 2 years. I had plenty of ragequit moments during that time. But there were also so many brilliant moments that made it all shine.

This game has one of the best character development models I have ever tried (Asheron's Call 1 is still top of the line for me) and it's sad to see so many new games go for oversimplified rubbish.

Two thumbs up for Funcom. I'll definitely return for the new engine. I just hope they also launch a "clean" server for the engine-release so we can start a new world with a fresh economy.

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

Didn't expect this at all... Excited about jumping back into Rubi-ka when they get everything revamped and running well.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I will be back with bloody bells on. Do we know if the ui and controls are beeing upgraded as well? I have always taken that as a given but you never know.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, there goes my theory about this being a "vapor-update" like the EQ2 character model revamp...

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

we're working on that I am very excited about – our new player market! A browser based trade market, making it possible to buy and sell things to other players directly by utilizing the in game mail system. It will be available with the next update, and patch notes and release date is to be announced.

whatta heck is this? items teleporting from shops ? no more exploration and finding fastest routes to good deal before someone else does ?

Let's internet

Originally posted by ForumPvP

we're working on that I am very excited about – our new player market! A browser based trade market, making it possible to buy and sell things to other players directly by utilizing the in game mail system. It will be available with the next update, and patch notes and release date is to be announced.

whatta heck is this? items teleporting from shops ? no more exploration and finding fastest routes to good deal before someone else does ?

Rubi-Ka Express Delivery! About f****** time Rubi-Ka got a postal system :-) And if we can whomp a character we sure as s*** can whomp a package :-)

Grow some imagination buddy :-)

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I went through a few hours of the trial last year but just could not enjoy the game, controls, ui, gfx were all so clumsy & outdated that it left me more frustrated & annoyed than entertained.

Once the new engine is in though I'll definitely give the game a good try.

Originally posted by BloodyViking

Rubi-Ka Express Delivery! About f****** time Rubi-Ka got a postal system :-) And if we can whomp a character we sure as s*** can whomp a package :-)

uuuuuuuyea,next patch you can teleport straight to bosses also,right,because you can,right.

wowization seems to continue,which wasnt big surprise ,but Fia is excited about this also so future doesnt really look good,maybe you can teleport straight to bosses soon and everywhere.

Let's internet

uuuuuuuyea,next patch you can teleport straight to bosses also,right,because you can,right.

wowization seems to continue,which wasnt big surprise ,but Fia is excited about this also so future doesnt really look good,maybe you can teleport straight to bosses soon and everywhere.

Blowing things out of proportion aren't you? game is 8 years old and some modernizaiton is warranted. They are trying to keep it alive and trying to bring in new generation of players who never got a chance to play AO. I don't know how making selling and purchasing less cumbersome makes it more like WOW.

Either move ahead with times or stay behind and nag. Your choice.

Originally posted by Ankur

Blowing things out of proportion aren't you? game is 8 years old and some modernizaiton is warranted. They are trying to keep it alive and trying to bring in new generation of players who never got a chance to play AO. I don't know how making selling and purchasing less cumbersome makes it more like WOW.

There is a golden middle way between oversimplification and throwing stones at your players just for the hell of it.

And you CAN teleport to the big badboy boss already...or you can spawn him right there!

I understand what your grievance is and I agree that things shouldnt be oversimplified so it becomes totaly trivial. However that is the gameplay/combat elements of the game. Us who have played AO for many years have becom accustomed to running around for 10 minutes to buy an item from a shop. But for any new player it would seem like a horrible game mechanic to have to find the other players shop. If you dont really know your way around it could easily take forever and a day. So it is definitely a possible hurdle for new players.

The question that must be asked is how much of a gamebreaker is it to get a bought item in the mail instead of spending 10 minutes running to get it? I suspect the players still have to get a player shop and physicaly deposit the items in the shop to make it available. My personal opinion is that this is a non-issue. Anyone willing to quit the game for a reason like simplified market-delivery of items need to check their compass a bit.

It's not like flying to get an item was the most exciting part of your game was it? :-)

1 word, unique,making it less unique makes it better? no sorry i dont think so.

with modernization funcom means wowization and im pretty sure those peeps wont take the bite when theres new "modernizised" games coming  from doors and windows and some of them are also even "free"

no chance AO sorry,and with actions like this ,old players who are going to test it someday will be  like you hear people saying about SWTOR  "too WoWish"

Let's internet

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350

They are joking right?  

It..Burns..

"1 word, unique,making it less unique makes it better? no sorry i dont think so.

with modernization funcom means wowization and im pretty sure those peeps wont take the bite when theres new "modernizised" games coming  from doors and windows and some of them are also even "free"

no chance AO sorry,and with actions like this ,old players who are going to test it someday will be  like you hear people saying about SWTOR  "too WoWish""

Cant quote the whole thing, gets too long...

Anyway, I think your angle of labeling it WoWification is a bit off. I can agree on the level that WoW did cut a lot of corners to make the game more available to the players. And the question that must be asked is...is this a significant and important part of the gameplay? In my opinion, no, its not.

If you want to speak about simplification and availability the biggest changes they have made so far was the introduction of the Shadowlands missions because of the sheer amount of SK they awarded in the higher levels. No  more grinding 3000 Mortiigs to make 1 level.

For me, not having to fly to get an item I want to buy is a good thing. It wont make me feel like Im playing WoW, thats for sure :-)

There is a golden middle way between oversimplification and throwing stones at your players just for the hell of it.

And you CAN teleport to the big badboy boss already...or you can spawn him right there!

I understand what your grievance is and I agree that things shouldnt be oversimplified so it becomes totaly trivial. However that is the gameplay/combat elements of the game. Us who have played AO for many years have becom accustomed to running around for 10 minutes to buy an item from a shop. But for any new player it would seem like a horrible game mechanic to have to find the other players shop. If you dont really know your way around it could easily take forever and a day. So it is definitely a possible hurdle for new players.

The question that must be asked is how much of a gamebreaker is it to get a bought item in the mail instead of spending 10 minutes running to get it? I suspect the players still have to get a player shop and physicaly deposit the items in the shop to make it available. My personal opinion is that this is a non-issue. Anyone willing to quit the game for a reason like simplified market-delivery of items need to check their compass a bit.

It's not like flying to get an item was the most exciting part of your game was it? :-)

if you can teleport my 1 level character to Beast from WA,then it is even worse than i thought.

theres (there was) tons of people who made shopping toons,imagine that,made a shopping toon and mostly because it was fun like part of the game experience,you were able to be a dealer ,mostly fixer ,you could allways hire one to get you things you need from a player shop,it was a minigame,you allways were able to roll one or two for  yourself ofcourse,but now theres no such minigame it seems,but  the reason why theres no such minigame anymore is not "modernization"

Let's internet

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

10 years old, not 8  ;)

"f you can teleport my 1 level character to Beast from WA,then it is even worse than i thought.

theres (there was) tons of people who made shopping toons,imagine that,made a shopping toon and mostly because it was fun like part of the game experience,you were able to be a dealer ,mostly fixer ,you could allways hire one to get you things you need from a player shop,it was a minigame,you allways were able to roll one or two for  yourself ofcourse,but now theres no such minigame it seems,but  the reason why theres no such minigame anymore is not "modernization""

Huh?! Now you have me a bit confused here... People made characters to go grab items for others? I think you got it a bit backwards. People made fixers with fixergrid so they could farm items for other players. That means they rolled missions to find the right item, then ran to complete that mission for the questreward which they in turn sold to the other player.

In all my years I have never heard of anyone making a fixer (or any other character) to run around to other players shops for other people. Sure, if you have a fixer it made things easier for yourself to go get the items you wanted to buy from other players. But I dont know a single person who made a fixer for that specific purpose only.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

no chance AO sorry,and with actions like this ,old players who are going to test it someday will be  like you hear people saying about SWTOR  "too WoWish"

You do realize it's mostly us who have been playing since beta that have been continually asking for a simpler trading system, right?

Oh, right. In your head, all the "old players" think just like you.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Unique doesn't equal fun or accessibility. Making buying and selling more user friendly is definitely not going to harm this game. Infact it will just make it easier for people to do a very simple activity in game and move on to more important things.