Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any forthcoming games without levels?

I've been playing MMORPG/MMO games for quite some time now (I participated in the beta of UO if that shows just how long). Now I know many people say that "The first game you play will always be the best" this is entirely true with how I feel - UO was amazing and something in that game failed to be replicated in anything I've played since.

So, with that in mind, does anyone know if there are any games on the horizon that:

1. Don't use a Level system. So are skill based or similar

2. Take time & effort to get to the top of the tree - SWTOR takes aorund 2-3 weeks to hit Level 50, in early UO GM Blacksmith took 6 months + to achieve.

3. WIll be a more "open" world. Instancing seems to be the bane of games these days.

I'll admit I'm not really up to date on what is around now and what is coming soon. If there is anything I should be looking at based on the above I'd love a pointer.

Ta

Comments

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by Sagasaint

the secret world

looking forward to secret world

• bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116

There's Darkfall or Mortal online,but the problem is both those games are focuse on PVP.Well i know Darkfall is,I can't speak for mortal online.Hmmm... Ryzom ....

Just the off the top of my head.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw as mentioned
    Gw2 kinda
    Planetside2
    World of darkness probably
    Archeage?
  • Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by Soofla

I've been playing MMORPG/MMO games for quite some time now (I participated in the beta of UO if that shows just how long). Now I know many people say that "The first game you play will always be the best" this is entirely true with how I feel - UO was amazing and something in that game failed to be replicated in anything I've played since.

So, with that in mind, does anyone know if there are any games on the horizon that:

1. Don't use a Level system. So are skill based or similar

2. Take time & effort to get to the top of the tree - SWTOR takes aorund 2-3 weeks to hit Level 50, in early UO GM Blacksmith took 6 months + to achieve.

3. WIll be a more "open" world. Instancing seems to be the bane of games these days.

I'll admit I'm not really up to date on what is around now and what is coming soon. If there is anything I should be looking at based on the above I'd love a pointer.

Ta

You could try out Salem closed beta, the signup is on right now.

It's a open world crafting/exploring MMO based in New England.

Link to read a bit more about it.

Beta signup.

Might be worth a try at least. : )

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Tsw as mentioned

Gw2 kinda

Planetside2

World of darkness probably

Archeage?

World of darkness online is indeed confirmed to be without levels they had a 45 minute presentation about it on the Eve fair and even showed 30 seconds in game footage at the end (no characters though, just of the town).

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

Originally posted by winter

Originally posted by Sagasaint

the secret world

looking forward to secret world

ya, me too. TSW & TERA now,  GW2 down the line

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Depends on what type of game focus you are looking for.

Fantacy

PVE:

The Secret Word (releases soon)  Haven't been following this but I think it has a lot of instances.

PVP: (ffapvp)

Darkfall (out)

Mortal Online (out)

Xyson (out)

ArchAge (probably a couple years until it releases)

Scifi

PVP: (ffapvp)

Eve

I'm sure there are some more but thes are the only ones I can think of right now.  If you are ok with ffapvp you have more options then if you prefer consentual pvp.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    Pathfinder Online is skill based progression, no levels!

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• Salem?  not sure if it has levels.