Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why guys playing girls spook me off

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Hm, ok that certainly is an enlightning explanation. But it also seems to imply that most MMO developers fail to make convincing male character models for a number of gamers.

No. Actually its not true. Many MMOs do have better male models (and quite failed female ones)

AOC has vastly superior male models , LOTRO is bad on both sides but females are just attrocious ( i mean you can really not watch the character from how bad it is )

I have also a wierd bug in my head - dont know if anyone else here does the same.

You know what is "vanity camera" ?

I spend considerable time admiring my character trough vanity camera :D

I even buy gear for its looks not for stats - damn in LOTRO i spend weeks doing a quest to get a cloak (that nobody else has on whole server :) ) ( jeez GW2 are gonna make bundles on my obsession)

Moment i dont like how my character looks , i leave the game :S

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Not everyone rolls a female toon for the same reason. I roll both male and female toons. This is because I never see my character in a game as myself, but as a character in a story. So if I think that some race/class combination looks best with a female character, I roll female. But it could also be a male character or some weird alien for that matter. Whatever I come up with that looks cool for that game.

Other reasons I've heard for players to roll a female toon :

- smaller hitbox in pvp

- to see sexy females in sexy outfits

- to pose female to get free stuff (I don't like leechers like these and removed a few from my former guild)  This is also done by some female players though, but I'm talking about guys who are outed after some time because they talked to much and fell through,

There are probably more reasons why guys roll female toons, but these are the reasons I've heard about the most. I doubt the integrity of guys who claim to be girls and when someone discovers that they are not, they claim that they were roleplaying. Seriously, if some guy is hitting on you and you keep claiming you are a girl until someone finds out, then it is called misleading, not roleplaying. For roleplaying both have to be aware that they are roleplaying :p

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

And that screenshot of the female in that Domme/Thong outfit is embarassing.

I wouldn't play that. 

My 10 y/o daugheter loves to come and sit next to me and watch as I play sometimes.

And it's been a growing concern watching the overall decline in the bahavior of MMO gamers as a whole.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by dinams

here we go again

Expect:

"IF I NEED TO SEE AN ASS FOR HOURS AND HOURS...." cliche

The truth is not a cliche.

Welcome to the interwebs, where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

Here's how you spot a guy playing a female character: 

Does the avatar have boobs bigger than her head?

Then the player is a guy.

Are they half naked?

Do they hit on you constantly?

Do they very clearly avoid your advances in a nonconfrontational way?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Jabas

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Originally posted by revy66

OP you never played Tomb Raider friend? That's unfortunate...

I personally won't play any games where I am a female character.

This is a real weird situation, dont know what to think, serious.

Why is that weird? Some people, I would wager alot, plays characters who they can identify themselves with and I would say that identifying yourself with the opposite sex would be weird, unless you have some gender identify issues.

That does not mean that all people play characters which they identify themselves with, just that some do, and then it would be perfectly natural to play the same gender as yourself in RL.

• MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341

Kinda in the spirit of this thread, just wanted to add that I've known some female gamers who actually played male toons and used male names so that they wouldn't have to deal with endless harassment. They even went as far as claiming they didn't have mics for talking on vent to avoid blowing their cover. It was normally the no mic thing, plus some quirks in their personality and how they would treat me, that made me suspect they were women.

After awhile of playing together and them coming to trust me, I would casually ask them what the real reason they didn't ever talk on vent was... on THREE separate occasions it turned out that I was right, and the funny part was that when nobody else was on, they'd mic up and we'd talk just like normal gamers. They explained that normally they couldn't do something like that because most guys would treat them differently and act like tools as soon as it became known that they were a "real live" girl. I couldn't tell if that was a good thing that I wasn't like that or if I should've been more of a credit (detriment?) to my gender by hitting on them more.

The best part of it was watching them chat in party or guild chat like they were just one of the guys (even going as far as complaining about women who make a big deal about being girls so that lonely nerds help them... just like a grouchy male gamer would). It also always made me laugh whenever they would randomly tell the guys in the guild who played female toons to shut up, get back in the kitchen, and to make them a sammich.

I think it's kinda the same thing as unmarried waitresses who wear rings to try to discourage guys from hitting on them (like that even makes a difference most of the time... lol). Still, the very first time I discovered the truth.... mind = blown. I am still online friends with one of them even today (and we talk from time to time on Skype since we both no longer play the same games). Moral of the story = it's a crazy world and not all is as it seems ;P

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

I like looking at my ships ass in EVE.

There's nothing more arousing then aviation grade aluminum sheet metal.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by MustaphaMond

Kinda in the spirit of this thread, just wanted to add that I've known some female gamers who actually played male toons and used male names so that they wouldn't have to deal with endless harassment. They even went as far as claiming they didn't have mics for talking on vent to avoid blowing their cover. It was normally the no mic thing, plus some quirks in their personality and how they would treat me, that made me suspect they were women.

After awhile of playing together and them coming to trust me, I would casually ask them what the real reason they didn't ever talk on vent was... on THREE separate occasions it turned out that I was right, and the funny part was that when nobody else was on, they'd mic up and we'd talk just like normal gamers. They explained that normally they couldn't do something like that because most guys would treat them differently and act like tools as soon as it became known that they were a "real live" girl. I couldn't tell if that was a good thing that I wasn't like that or if I should've been more of a credit (detriment?) to my gender by hitting on them more.

The best part of it was watching them chat in party or guild chat like they were just one of the guys (even going as far as complaining about women who make a big deal about being girls so that lonely nerds help them... just like a grouchy male gamer would). It also always made me laugh whenever they would randomly tell the guys in the guild who played female toons to shut up, get back in the kitchen, and to make them a sammich.

I think it's kinda the same thing as unmarried waitresses who wear rings to try to discourage guys from hitting on them (like that even makes a difference most of the time... lol). Still, the very first time I discovered the truth.... mind = blown. I am still online friends with one of them even today (and we talk from time to time on Skype since we both no longer play the same games). Moral of the story = it's a crazy world and not all is as it seems ;P

I have seen this as well.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by someforumguy

Not everyone rolls a female toon for the same reason. I roll both male and female toons. This is because I never see my character in a game as myself, but as a character in a story. So if I think that some race/class combination looks best with a female character, I roll female. But it could also be a male character or some weird alien for that matter. Whatever I come up with that looks cool for that game.

- smaller hitbox in pvp

- to pose female to get free stuff (I don't like leechers like these and removed a few from my former guild)  This is also done by some female players though, but I'm talking about guys who are outed after some time because they talked to much and fell through,

There are probably more reasons why guys roll female toons, but these are the reasons I've heard about the most. I doubt the integrity of guys who claim to be girls and when someone discovers that they are not, they claim that they were roleplaying. Seriously, if some guy is hitting on you and you keep claiming you are a girl until someone finds out, then it is called misleading, not roleplaying. For roleplaying both have to be aware that they are roleplaying :p

I tend to play female characters when the class calls for a light, nimble body type, even though there usually aren't bonuses for this.  It just makes sense to me.  On the other hand, I would probably never play a female tank character, unless the tanking class was built based on damage avoidance rather than absorption.

To me, rogue type classes fit well with the female physique.  Particularly in games like WoW, where men have 1 body type, and that type for humans has the muscle mass of 3 Ah-nulds from the torso up.  A male sneaky, backstabby, dodgy rogue makes not a lick of sense in that case.  So I would choose a female avatar.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Sovrath+++ snip+++

Ah yes, that is a development I greatly bemoan too. :( People are way too Vent/TS focussed and way too less ingame meet and greet. Sigh. (Sidenote: don't be mad at me, but for a long time I thought you were a girl. You have more understanding responses... and you have cat as icon! XD)

Guess I'm just more in touch with my feminine side, or need to find a more manly cat icon.  image

Isn't it a shame that if you're male you are expected to be less understanding and tolerant of other viewpoints?

I did want to point out, if I really think I'm going to be "getting" into my character (esp from a RP viewpoint) I always create a male avatar since I can't really visualize myself as a female.

Also, regarding SWTOR, I do agree, I just rolled by first "empire" character and decided to play "her" as being pure evil and I find the force choices just in the initial zone disturbing, and have had to do a couple of things totally against my nature and it was almost disorienting to me.

Almost wondering if I should reroll and go with my actual nature for a more enjoyable playing experience. (Would be a Paladin in real life if the job was still in existence)  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Zekiah

OWWW OWWW OWWW

AHHHHHHHH

MY EYES!!!!

• gu357u53rgu357u53r Member Posts: 113

Now let me say ahead, I always respect everyone's decision what to play in a MMO. It is just a feeling. Let me explain. Now sure, as gay guy, I do not have the appeal to "see a girl's bum" while I play. But here is the thing. When I create MMO characters, I NEVER make "my idea man". And boy, I tried. Several times in MMOs I create a male character that looked as my "ideal looking man", and it SPOOKED THE HELL OUTTA ME. I can't even say why. But the idea to play a char that looks like my ideal man, was... wrong. It was something so outside anything I could identify or accpet. I always felt it was just wrong and spooky, to have some "cute puppet", some "love doll" or whatever. It felt just freaky. And that is why I shudder at the thought, no matter if you play same gender or opposite gender: this idea to create a character as "your ideal looking girl/guy" is what just feels so spooking me off.

For me, a character I play must represent something of *me*, some part of myself externalized. (Is that a word?) For instance, I loved my EQ2 Sarnath and my Fae Ranger. Both represented character traits of me. Both where a part of me, in a way I could not describe. Or my dark skinned characters I make in most MMOs as main. He is me, for reasons I can not explain. But he is FAR from the type of guy I want. I mean, I know some people would even play any random char because they don't care at all. But when you play a char so many hours as you do in a MMO, does it not evoke *some* feeling within you?

And that is what I don't get, how can you play a char months or even years which is your "love interest"? That sounds just so... bizarre. So it gives me more than a little doubt in players who do this. I know from experience with female gamers who talked to me, that female chars are usually treated better. If they enter older MMOs, they are WAY more likely to get help, money and other stuff. And that, shall we say, ulterior motive is what I also kind of suspect. Like they know, ok with a girl char people will be more helpful and nice. Which is the case. Female chars DO get more help.

So what do you think about it? And to you guys who play girls, how do you feel doing that? I wonder.

I found my first game that didn't allow me to choose a male character.  I am male so I always choose male, I think it would be wierd to play a female character since if I really find another female gamer in game to hit it off with my character is male.  Not saying that we are going to become a couple, but even just friends I would still like for my character to be male because I am male.  Now on to the game that forced me to play a female.  It was Vindictus, when I was forced I started to think it really doesn't matter what gender you choose because it is a game, is when I stopped caring if a male chose a female.  Do I still think it is wierd for a man to play as a barbie when they are given the choice of  being able to choose gender?  Of course dude, that is creepy.  But I guess those could be classified as the type of person that is a woman trapped in a man's body.

But now you made me start overanalyzing when you really shouldn't because it is just a game. :P

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Jabas

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Originally posted by revy66

OP you never played Tomb Raider friend? That's unfortunate...

I personally won't play any games where I am a female character.

This is a real weird situation, dont know what to think, serious.

Why is that weird? Some people, I would wager alot, plays characters who they can identify themselves with and I would say that identifying yourself with the opposite sex would be weird, unless you have some gender identify issues.

That does not mean that all people play characters which they identify themselves with, just that some do, and then it would be perfectly natural to play the same gender as yourself in RL.

Its just a game.

A virtual adventure where, like tomb raider, the hero is a female. Its only this, nothing more.

I know mmorpgs are diferent, you normally have options to choose, but dont play a single player game just because the hero is a female is still weird for me, its seems extreme.

Maybe there is mans who dont watch movies where female are the hero ...  this way they cant dream to be on heros place?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by someforumguy

- smaller hitbox in pvp

I tend to play female characters when the class calls for a light, nimble body type, even though there usually aren't bonuses for this.  It just makes sense to me.  On the other hand, I would probably never play a female tank character, unless the tanking class was built based on damage avoidance rather than absorption.

To me, rogue type classes fit well with the female physique.  Particularly in games like WoW, where men have 1 body type, and that type for humans has the muscle mass of 3 Ah-nulds from the torso up.  A male sneaky, backstabby, dodgy rogue makes not a lick of sense in that case.  So I would choose a female avatar.

Yes lol. But sometimes I chose an absurd combination on purpose though. Female hammerwarrior in Guild Wars 1 is just fun. Their little squeels if they hit someone are such a fun contrast with the huge AOE knockdowns lol.

This is also why I'm going to roll an Asura hammer warrior in GW2 :p

• MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341

Originally posted by gu357u53r

I found my first game that didn't allow me to choose a male character.  I am male so I always choose male, I think it would be wierd to play a female character since if I really find another female gamer in game to hit it off with my character is male.  Not saying that we are going to become a couple, but even just friends I would still like for my character to be male because I am male.  Now on to the game that forced me to play a female.  It was Vindictus, when I was forced I started to think it really doesn't matter what gender you choose because it is a game, is when I stopped caring if a male chose a female.  Do I still think it is wierd for a man to play as a barbie when they are given the choice of  being able to choose gender?  Of course dude, that is creepy.  But I guess those could be classified as the type of person that is a woman trapped in a man's body.

Come on Barbie, let's go party! xD

Then again, I think this song fits the thread's topic much better:

Girls & Boys

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Originally posted by Zekiah

OWWW OWWW OWWW

AHHHHHHHH

MY EYES!!!!

Forum PvP, ninja attack! image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

I am a guy and 95% of all my characters in every mmo I ever play has been a female type. (except my wow druid. Tauren females ..yeah doesn't work)

I have had a lot of people over the years ask or hassle me ect ect. Until they pay my sub fees etc they can eat shit. I will play whatever I feel like playing and do not owe anyone an explanation. You want to think I am gay ..fine. You want to think I am wierd. Fine. You want to think whatever you want to think...Fine.

I give a shit.

Off I go to play my female Smuggler :)

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by 69Cuda

I am a guy and 95% of all my characters in every mmo I ever play has been a female type. (except my wow druid. Tauren females ..yeah doesn't work)

I have had a lot of people over the years ask or hassle me ect ect. Until they pay my sub fees etc they can eat shit. I will play whatever I feel like playing and do not owe anyone an explanation. You want to think I am gay ..fine. You want to think I am wierd. Fine. You want to think whatever you want to think...Fine.

I give a shit.

Off I go to play my female Smuggler :)

gotta love the people that somehow think playing a female videogame character means you want to have sex with another man.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

The original D&D Dice game the Dungeon Master (DM) in our little group would pick which character we would be playing for the duration of his entire story/event.. 90% of the time I would end up with the Female Woodelf with a rusty dagger, 10% of the time with a half blind old witch with a crooked leg (he didnt like me much).. BUT it did not matter to me if I played a female wood elf of a crooked legged witch, I could be able to join in and enjoy the story set out infront of me... When I am playing an MMO I don't magically obtain a female bottom or pixel perfect breasts when I play a female character.. I am still me and I still respond like me.. If I played on a real RP server I would probably play a male character due to it being easier to act out.. But no one "really" RP's anymore :D

:D

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

I would say 1 or so, out of 5 of my characters will be female. I do it to see the different armor sets and stuff. Sometimes, the role player in me comes out and I feel a class/race combo just seems better as a girl.

Now, in SWTOR, have played a female or two in order to see what is different in dialogue, etc. To my surprise, the dialogue can change quite a bit by being female (though it does not appear to effect the story in any real way other than who you can romance).

Being comfortable with myself as a person I don't feel anything at all, one way or the other about playing a female character, even though I am male, nor others doing so. These are labelled mmoRPG's afterall.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

In CRPGS where you play multiple characters (BG,PS:T,IWD, etc.) of different genders, personalities and characters, would it spook you to have a girl party member? That girl party member over there that I play as part of the party - nope, she doesn't bother me in the slightest. Putting it into your context, you would think people would have trouble and develop multiple personalities while playing the game with a party composed of different characters.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Ah, yes, I can relate to that "spectator mode". I know in "Witcher" games, I felt that way with Geralt. He was way off anything I could relate to, so I always felt like the "invisible old friend following him". Hm. Still, why would someone make such a distant char on purpose in a MMO? Or maybe some  people prefer to be more detached? It's why I never could "play evil", I just can't detach myself without losing interest in a game.

Well, I dont' think it's detached in an isolated way. Just that "it's not me".

Still, I'm a firm believer that we don't live in a vacuum and we are the sum of our experiences, thoughts, etc.

so any female character that I create will look aesthetically pleasing.

They won't however be my "perfect woman". Having said that I don't really belive in the "perfect" anything.

For instance, I used to prefer blondes and red heads but for whatever reason I usually date brunettes.

At any given moment I can like a certain figure or certain skin color only to meet someone who is diametrically opposite of those things and I'll think they look great.

Gotta take it on a case by case basis.

In any case, I think some people do create their perfect "person" whether it's a representation of themselves or what they want. And some don't.

Case by case basis.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

And that screenshot of the female in that Domme/Thong outfit is embarassing.

I wouldn't play that. 

My 10 y/o daugheter loves to come and sit next to me and watch as I play sometimes. 

The real thing that I wonder though is why do people find this so appauling? Honestly, I used to but I came to a simple realization recently.

I see both children and adults in bikinis(basically thong and a bra) at the beach or in any swimming place in general regularly. Nobody looks down on this, not even myself. Another example would be what every kid is watching on television these days, superstars parading in music videos basically naked(Lady Gaga comes to mind) singing about ...well you know what.

Practicality aside, I don't see why it is any different when displayed in a game. That being said I don't play that race due to it's armor being impractical and unnapealing to me, but I don't find it innapropriate anymore.

Unless you disprove of it in all circumstances then that's fine, but I find it weird that people like one but not the other.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

For me, a character I play must represent something of *me*, some part of myself externalized. (Is that a word?) For instance, I loved my EQ2 Sarnath and my Fae Ranger. Both represented character traits of me. Both where a part of me, in a way I could not describe. Or my dark skinned characters I make in most MMOs as main. He is me, for reasons I can not explain.

and that is why most of my characters are women even though i'm a guy. i don't play female characters because they're pretty, i just prefer to. i mean, my character in EvE is a woman, and i don't see her except in captain's quarters (which i never use). hell, if i play tera, i won't play a female character because their armor is absurd, and i don't want to look at that all the time. so i dunno. i guess i sorta resent the accusation that every straight guy playing a girl is being a creep about it. i mean, i'm sure there are creeps, but not all of us are. none of my characters are my "love interest" as you put it. none of them are my ideal woman, i just identify more with female characters than big, beefy chunks of meat.