Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question to those who've played Tera and GW2...

Comments

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by Elminzter

really QQ abt the animation lock, which in tera's case is part of the combat mechanics i.e. u cant spam skills like in all the button smashes, just remember one man's meat is another's poison

imo, these games are trying to innovate which is good for us.

TERA's combat is not an innovation. It's been done in console games and already a few online games. I like where TERA is pointing MMOs but I feel that Vindictus, Dragon Nest and C9 were the games to point the industry in that direction. TERA is just taking that combat to open world but that doesn't change the fact that the combat has been done before.

agree and its p2p not p2win :p

That depends on who you ask, to some, Chronoscrolls are P2W. So, I'd rather not have to buy a game that is P2W anyway.

To others Chronoscrolls = B2P  XD

Is GW2s cash-shop trully a non-P2W? Hopefully...

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Personally I feel a lot of the 'views' posted in this thread are outright wrong.

GW2 Combat - Does not change much once you get all your skills

TERA Combat - Does change a LOT at endgame!

I've played both games and observed/participated in a lot of PvP in both.

I think both systems work respectively well. Let me Explain:

TERA - Initial complaints would be oh its a bit slow/lacks variety. If you see endgame PvP, you will definitely change your mind! Everyone has speed modifiers and a LOT more skills to choose from. All those 'standing still while casting skill' issues are mitigated quite well imo.

GW2 - Initial complaints that combat isn't as aimed. The fact is that is that you HAVE to dodge and CAN avoid melee. As far as projectiles go though, there aren't a lot of them! The ones that are there though can be dodged. Most other effects are AOE (aimed) and instants which are the only auto aim skills. That exists in TERA too though!

So really I think in combat both games are great. I think TERA's combat has a more 'twitch' based focus, while GW2s combat has a more 'skill knowledge' focus. 

Combat Depth - GW2

Combat Reactions - TERA

Both are action games, just that TERA is more on the side of FPS and GW2 is more on the side of MMO. Its pretty much then down to the player.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

really QQ abt the animation lock, which in tera's case is part of the combat mechanics i.e. u cant spam skills like in all the button smashes, just remember one man's meat is another's poison

TERA's combat is not an innovation. It's been done in console games and already a few online games. I like where TERA is pointing MMOs but I feel that Vindictus, Dragon Nest and C9 were the games to point the industry in that direction. TERA is just taking that combat to open world but that doesn't change the fact that the combat has been done before.

That depends on who you ask, to some, Chronoscrolls are P2W. So, I'd rather not have to buy a game that is P2W anyway.

here let me paste the definition for u, as it only involves gold how could it be p2win:p

-------------------

Chronoscrolls FAQ

Q: In ten seconds tell me, what are chronoscrolls?

A: Chronoscrolls are an in-game item we're using to fight gold farming, game account theft, phishing, chat spam, and other criminal behaviors in order to create a better gameplay environment for TERA. Players can trade their excess gold for chronoscrolls and redeem those chronoscrolls to play TERA for free. Other players can buy chronoscrolls and sell them in the game as a way to earn more gold. Both groups of players get what they want, without having to interact with cyber-criminals. By creating a legal market where players trade game gold for game time, we can reduce demand for the illegal trading of game gold for real money, and thereby reduce criminal enterprises. That might be more like a twenty second answer, but I think it hits the key points. Of course, you probably have a lot more questions now!

--------------------

Don't see your point here. Paying real money for in game gold = P2W to some people. Or is that too complex for you to understand?

so is EVE is also another p2win and ppl do buy gold in wow therefore wow is also another p2win????

Originally posted by Razephon

Personally I feel a lot of the 'views' posted in this thread are outright wrong.

TERA - Initial complaints would be oh its a bit slow/lacks variety. If you see endgame PvP, you will definitely change your mind! Everyone has speed modifiers and a LOT more skills to choose from. All those 'standing still while casting skill' issues are mitigated quite well imo.

GW2 - Initial complaints that combat isn't as aimed. The fact is that is that you HAVE to dodge and CAN avoid melee. As far as projectiles go though, there aren't a lot of them! The ones that are there though can be dodged. Most other effects are AOE (aimed) and instants which are the only auto aim skills. That exists in TERA too though!

So really I think in combat both games are great. I think TERA's combat has a more 'twitch' based focus, while GW2s combat has a more 'skill knowledge' focus. 

Combat Depth - GW2

Combat Reactions - TERA

Both are action games, just that TERA is more on the side of FPS and GW2 is more on the side of MMO. Its pretty much then down to the player.

thanks for sharing your experiences^^

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

[mod edit]

I know you said "to some", but when you mix it in with "I'd rather not have to buy a game that is P2W" it makes it a little hard to tell what you're trying to say.

I hope you don't personally think chronoscrolls are P2W, because that's almost exactly how gems work in GW2. Some people say that counts as P2W, too, but...

Where exactly are you going with this?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

here let me paste the definition for u, as it only involves gold how could it be p2win:p

-------------------

Chronoscrolls FAQ

A: Chronoscrolls are an in-game item we're using to fight gold farming, game account theft, phishing, chat spam, and other criminal behaviors in order to create a better gameplay environment for TERA. Players can trade their excess gold for chronoscrolls and redeem those chronoscrolls to play TERA for free. Other players can buy chronoscrolls and sell them in the game as a way to earn more gold. Both groups of players get what they want, without having to interact with cyber-criminals. By creating a legal market where players trade game gold for game time, we can reduce demand for the illegal trading of game gold for real money, and thereby reduce criminal enterprises. That might be more like a twenty second answer, but I think it hits the key points. Of course, you probably have a lot more questions now!

--------------------

Don't see your point here. Paying real money for in game gold = P2W to some people. Or is that too complex for you to understand?

so is EVE is also another p2win and ppl do buy gold in wow therefore wow is also another p2win????

Nice job proving that you don't read much on this site.

well i spend my time playing and not trolling AND what i know there are suckers that will spend real $$ to buy virtual gold/items etc.. seen it happen in everquest,wow,rift etc.. and to conclude it's p2win if the cash shop provides items that u cant get normally in-game which makes it p2win and p2win normally applies to f2p model.

now which part of your brain fail to see?

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

I know you said "to some", but when you mix it in with "I'd rather not have to buy a game that is P2W" it makes it a little hard to tell what you're trying to say.

I hope you don't personally think chronoscrolls are P2W, because that's almost exactly how gems work in GW2. Some people say that counts as P2W, too, but...

That's exactly why I said it. People are accusing GW2 for being P2W for the same thing. So then TERA to those people would be considered P2W, so I stated, if I'm going to play a P2W game anyway then I might as well play one that I don't have to buy. Which was refering to Vindictus as stated earlier.

Here we go again. You're on your own this time.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

lol thanks for trying to help^^

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

It's best to try to leave Sector alone, he's difficult. <3

-------------------

Chronoscrolls FAQ

--------------------

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

nope, i do not fail to see anything, by your defination eveything that could be bought is p2win therefore all MMORPG are p2win because ppl actually spend $$ outside of the normal subscription to buy in-game gold or items that is a fact.

why not do a google search and for gold farmers, powerlevelers services and every game is listed.

• style360style360 Member Posts: 70

I've only played TERA and not GW2, but as far as I've heard, you CAN play GW2 like TERA, but it's not really optimal to do it like that. However, you can dodge projectiles and such, so there might be some advantage in aiming projectiles though.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]  He merely C & P from the original site, what EM has defined the chronoscrolls to represent. I'll agree though alot of people think its P2W, no need to get so flustered.. man..

[mod edit]

Also you don't understand when someone makes a point explaining things to you, for example your wording of things.

Shrooms was explaining in saying "some find it P2W" then stating you would rather not play it if it P2W is misleading, as you are implying TERA is P2W.

In stating "here we go again" shrooms was saying, here goes another argument of someone putting words in his mouth saying he said something he didn't, which was the case earlier between you, Riot and himself.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Just to follow up a few posts.

I played tera i liked it but honestly i cannot handle the rooting. Why?

It flys in my face as moronic beyond my ability to tolerate. How so?

Well, first off if you want to make a game tactical in the sense of position and movement (reduce kiting, lat, etc.) then are are many options that still allow a player to remain in control. See i dislike limitations , i further dislike limitations that take the place of other limitation , but are then more limiting than the orginial limitation. Otherwise stated?

Why replace the bad with the awful. Some examples, sure why not?

Tera is selling itself as FPS like aiming etc., but its not. Its aiming, but one of the least fuild combat systems for triple a mmos in forever.

Lets look at what this replaced. Cast bars/channels. Thats basiclly what this system replaces. Almost all of the tactical style gains but the root is accomplished bu a cast bar/timer on most abilities. (Well if there are not insta how will you land melee abilities). Pretty simple move and cast, but u could be stun, slowed, player might use a blink/tele/speed boost. On top of this you add in abilities that are no cast but of lesser quality, use these to help set up bigger ones (longer casts, etc). Of course , range abilities cannot move using their castable (or not some of them), you can even make them interupted if hit whiel casting (if you like tactics) with a way to get a limited number through beiung hit (abilities, fast cast/insta that build up ability to cast throught hits etc.) Thats a great tactical system that allows both the player to control their character and plan their game plan.

Rooting everyone after abilities was a cheap fix kiting and it being too hard to aim abilities in the game. Its not so much tactical, as you don't perplan someone else move as more as simply reactional.  Some one uses an ability and is rooted, aim and fire yours, it will hit.  Now position based maybe the term you are looking for. Thus has little to do with rooting and more to do with the directional nature of abilities. I would agrue games with position based combat are more tactical from that nature (you must think about where you will end up, your ability will land, etc.)  Note you can do this without the root. And i do like that nature of abilities in Tera

On Gw2 i will not speak to my status of play.

On Tera i have played a few characters to their high teeens.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by Sector13Don't see your point here. Paying real money for in game gold = P2W to some people. Or is that too complex for you to understand?

That's exactly why I said it. People are accusing GW2 for being P2W for the same thing. So then TERA to those people would be considered P2W, so I stated, if I'm going to play a P2W game anyway then I might as well play one that I don't have to buy. Which was refering to Vindictus as stated earlier.

You're mixing in "some people's" opinion with your own which is making your posts really vague. You're making fairly objective statements, but it really does look like you're suggesting that you agree with "people" that think these games qualify as P2W.

Your personal opinion doesn't make much difference to me, but that type of posting is going to bait out fanboys like crazy, as we've seen. "Some people think X, and if I was one of them..." Yeah.

You're mixing in "some people's" opinion with your own which is making your posts really vague. You're making fairly objective statements, but it really does look like you're suggesting that you agree with "people" that think these games qualify as P2W.

Your personal opinion doesn't make much difference to me, but that type of posting is going to bait out fanboys like crazy, as we've seen. "Some people think X, and if I was one of them..." Yeah.

Darn, you must have written that while I made my post, oh well, might as well have you confirm my speculations exactly proving my point even more and making his statement that TERA fans need help understanding things explained to them all the more hilarious.

Also Sector is a known baiter, he knows what he says implies to some people and in the manner he states it even more so, he gets a kick out of arguing and I find it rather annoying.

lol thanks for trying to help^^

I was talking to Sector, actually.

[mod edit]

Never implied you did.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

It's best to try to leave Sector alone, he's difficult. <3

I'm noticing.

-------------------

Chronoscrolls FAQ

--------------------

Nice job proving that you don't read much on this site.

well i spend my time playing and not trolling AND what i know there are suckers that will spend real $$ to buy virtual gold/items etc.. seen it happen in everquest,wow,rift etc.. and to conclude it's p2win if the cash shop provides items that u cant get normally in-game which makes it p2win and p2win normally applies to f2p model.

now which part of your brain fail to see?

See, that's where your brain failed to see. I said "to some". So apparently you can't read. There are many posts on here claiming GW2 being P2W cause you can sell gems for in game gold, basically exactly what Chronoscrolls do. Though I guess you are too blind with fanboyism to see that comparison.

i am getting both gw2 and tera and the physical collector's edition for both and yes i am a fanboy for gw2 and tera^^

Originally posted by Razephon

Combat Depth - GW2

Combat Reactions - TERA

this was what i was looking for, someone who has actually played both and hence could give me a clear insight on both tera and gw2.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    I played both, both are akin to each other.

Tera's only issue which will be apparent mainly in pvp and maybe just feel is the pause between skills and lose of character control. I played GW 2 last year at pax east I think with chat zones and what not, it's a hybrid with no free aim but it could be used if ANET wanted to put it in how ever due to positions it'd be a lot of switching. So it's an hot key action MMO and can be used as if you playing Tera/Aoc(with more mobility) or if you not too comfortable with it you can do auto attack with the 1 key. That's what I can tell you from experiencing both. Im on my phone do disregard typos please, also TEra does have nice animations but id assume it comes with the cost of being fluid, I think that's the issue or atleast was an issue with SWTOR.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

i am getting both gw2 and tera and the physical collector's edition for both and yes i am a fanboy for gw2 and tera^^

Well I guess I'm a fanboy for all MMOs as well: AA, WoD, SW, TERA, GW2, etc  image

What really impresses me is how developers for games like GW2, are a work in progress with innovation in mind. Makes the future of MMOs seem very appealing, if not needed in most cases...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Just a heads up, this is not the first time shills from another game inject their "opinions" in competing games in these forums. They are kind of obvious to identify because they constantly post, they are negative in all aspects and they try to rile people against them so then to use the reaction as a weapon towards the community.

Best to just block them and focus on informing and assisting people who are genuinly interested.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Tera is pre C9 but otherwise correct. Just gonna point out again that animation lock is NOT even a good way to keep you from spamming abilities.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

Well I think this thread has anwserd my question(aswell as spin off into other areas) and its helped me decide.

I'll try GW2, but I won't be dropping any money on it yet. Tera, aside from the... questionable designs of some characters, has the combat I've been searching for(Like what kept me playing DDO for so long)

I absolutly am finished with the tab-tab-mash key-tab style combat, and I am sick of having my char move independent of the camera(As it looks and sounds like gw2) with the 'option' of holding down the right mouse to freelook(Bad idea imo)

Teara's control/combat system was win-win, even WITH the animation locks(It made sense,as said before, was a trade off, you can't expect to swing madly spinning, yet have fluid control and do said spins and such while also keeping balance while zipping 180% around, can you?)

From the looks of it, GW2 will simply be a cooldown race game.. as in the guy with the skill that cools down first will likley win the battle, since facings and 'control' don't have much else to do with it. Minimizes the challange when I can just spam a skill willy nilly and have it hit my 'tabbed target', and ontop of all that, just not allowing 'hard' mouselook kinda kills the expereince for me in many games. (Its just one step down from a pnc game imo)

I am not trying to cause a flame war about the merits of either game, I will try GW2 but as far as it goes NOW, with what ive seen/heard/learned, tera just has a much more apealing combat/control system imo.