Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why guys playing girls spook me off

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Now let me say ahead, I always respect everyone's decision what to play in a MMO. It is just a feeling. Let me explain. Now sure, as gay guy, I do not have the appeal to "see a girl's bum" while I play. But here is the thing. When I create MMO characters, I NEVER make "my idea man". And boy, I tried. Several times in MMOs I create a male character that looked as my "ideal looking man", and it SPOOKED THE HELL OUTTA ME. I can't even say why. But the idea to play a char that looks like my ideal man, was... wrong. It was something so outside anything I could identify or accpet. I always felt it was just wrong and spooky, to have some "cute puppet", some "love doll" or whatever. It felt just freaky. And that is why I shudder at the thought, no matter if you play same gender or opposite gender: this idea to create a character as "your ideal looking girl/guy" is what just feels so spooking me off.

For me, a character I play must represent something of *me*, some part of myself externalized. (Is that a word?) For instance, I loved my EQ2 Sarnath and my Fae Ranger. Both represented character traits of me. Both where a part of me, in a way I could not describe. Or my dark skinned characters I make in most MMOs as main. He is me, for reasons I can not explain. But he is FAR from the type of guy I want. I mean, I know some people would even play any random char because they don't care at all. But when you play a char so many hours as you do in a MMO, does it not evoke *some* feeling within you?

And that is what I don't get, how can you play a char months or even years which is your "love interest"? That sounds just so... bizarre. So it gives me more than a little doubt in players who do this. I know from experience with female gamers who talked to me, that female chars are usually treated better. If they enter older MMOs, they are WAY more likely to get help, money and other stuff. And that, shall we say, ulterior motive is what I also kind of suspect. Like they know, ok with a girl char people will be more helpful and nice. Which is the case. Female chars DO get more help.

So what do you think about it? And to you guys who play girls, how do you feel doing that? I wonder.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

here we go again

Expect:

"IF I NEED TO SEE AN ASS FOR HOURS AND HOURS...." cliche

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

i don't know how a guy playing a girl is any different than playing a hulky sword weilding handsome tough warrior? neither reflects who you are in real life. 

As far as i am concerned i always start with male chracters but more often i have noticed that female characters in lots of MMO get better armor both from visual and asthetic side. So if i see females are getting better armor and weapon designs i go with that.

Also sometimes it just makes sense to play a female character as it suits better the class. For example in GW2 my Thief would be a female. A dual weilding Lara Croft style character makes more sense to me not saying that male thiefs would look odd.

• MagaskaweelMagaskaweel Member UncommonPosts: 35

I guess most of us dont make a character so we can fantasize about boning them. Maybe we just want a good looking character. For alot of straight guys, a good looking character is a woman.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I agree with most of this, the only female character I have made for myself was back in early WoW:Cata I made a worgen female mainly because the worgan males look butt ugly lol. Didnt wanna spend 1 - 85 looking at his ugly ass so I made a girl XD.

Im happy with making male characters as long as they dont look stupid, I like a bit of beauty in the characters I create I admit :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I think you are assumming that a male with a female avatar is playing a "love interest".

For me, I primarily play males if they look good as I feel a closer kinship toward a male character as it feels  more of a representatoin of "me" in the game.

If I like what the female characters look like and if I think they are better than the male characters, I'll play a female. However, for me, since I don't feel the connection the same way, it is more like actually watching a separate character or person.

Because it's a role playing game, I imagine what a female character might do differently from a male character, how they would be perceived depending on the class, etc.

For me, a female character is like watching someone else's journey, maybe even the affinity of what one might have for a daughter or more aptly a sister or female cousin. Or just a woman in the world, so to speak.

When I see threads like this I usually think that the op is taking his/her own conceptions and believing that they are universal. It really is a personal thing and I don't really judge another for playing a character no matter what their reasons.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

It boils down to this.

1) Your character is an extension of you and your personality. Wether the avatar be male or female the player is the same, for me the gender does not matter.. the player does.

2) You are roleplaying your character. In other words your character and yourself are seperate entities. This is in direct opposition to point 1 above. Gender does matter but the roleplaying that is being done does not need to be tied to your RL gender or even the traits your personality has which is usually a tell tale sign of someone's gender IRL. A male can roleplay a female persona just as well as a female can roleplay a male persona etc.

Some people prefer one or the other. Some people chop and change between both depending on the game. If I'm roleplaying I'll stick with 2 and keep myself and my characters personality and gender totally seperate from each other. If I am not roleplaying then I will pick whatever I feel like and go with it. When I play games I am the player, wether the name or avatar is female is irrelevant to me.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Firstly, I'm a female player. I have never received free items or extra help because of that. Then again, I rarely ask for help and I would never bat my eyelashes and appear helpless just to get a freebie or help with something I could easily do myself though I know women like that irl. I have only EVER been spooked (though that is even too strong a word) by guys playing girls when it comes to people I know. In my game, my character has pals who she hangs out with. Most of my friends and family create girl characters also and it is sometimes a sharp wakeup call when you shout out something in real life to your pal in the other room and a deep voice answers you or your mate phones you to talk through what's about to happen in game. Suddenly I'm reminded my ingame gal pals are hairy man creatures in real life. Not spooked but it is funny that I sometimes get involved in game and forget to seperate my ingame pal from my real life friend/family member if only for a small moment. I understand why they do it though. I agree with their arguement that many companies spend way more time on creating the female character and how they look in their armour and often they just look "better". Many ingame male characters look absolutely beyond silly.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• valunvalun Member UncommonPosts: 203

Its an RPG, and people decide for themself do they wanna go with cruel/epic/scarry or cute/funny/pretty avatar. Its shame that males fall in 1st cayegory and female 2nd, but anyway, who would play only male every game? - noone

Are you stupid? Do you think i'm gonna waste my life for real life?image
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

LOL, in the Tera beta this past weekend I created 3 new characters, and yes, they were all female. (cmon, have you seen the artwork in that game, you just had to look, especially since they were toss-aways) image

See the thing is, long ago MMORPG's became more games than worlds to me, therefore I don't identify with my avatars like I used to back in the early days.  (where I would only play males).

Now they are just figurines that I manipulate on the playing field, not personifications of me in any way.  In fact, I interact so seldom with players in MMO's anymore no one even knows what my avatar is or whether I'm actually a female or not.

Take SWTOR for example, if they didn't hear me on vent they'd never know what my gender was.  And on vent I go by a more standard male name whereas I can have 3 alts, some male, some female.  In game, except for random drive by's only a handful of people have actually seen my avatar in game. (Remember the old days when guilds would actually all gather in the same place in the game world for a guild meeting?, Now it's all just vent chats and the like) image

Also, while the female avatars I create will of course have femine features which I find pleasing, again, I'm not looking to try these fashions out on myself or replace my wife with one of them.  (no, she didn't make me say that)

So I'll continue to play both male and female avatars (generally speaking in any new MMO I make a male character first, as I did in SWTOR) as the mood and artwork suit me.

One note, I find the "female child like" avatars in games like Tera creepy, and no, I won't be rolling an avatar of that race any time soon.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Dragonantis

I agree with most of this, the only female character I have made for myself was back in early WoW:Cata I made a worgen female mainly because the worgan males look butt ugly lol. Didnt wanna spend 1 - 85 looking at his ugly ass so I made a girl XD.

Im happy with making male characters as long as they dont look stupid, I like a bit of beauty in the characters I create I admit :)

this pretty much.  sometimes the female animations look better and are more fluid.  i know  i will not be making a male norn in gw2.  the last thing i need is some big bulky avatar taking up half my screen. so if i ever want to make a norn it will most likely be a female.

I've got the straight edge.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

I like looking at my ships ass in EVE.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Well I've played in past both male and female characters in mmorpg's (or crpg's for that matter as well).

When I play female character I never try to create my "ideal type of girl".  I follow similar patterns for both genders - I just try to make my character interesting looking. Sometimes that mean attracive ,but not necesarilly.

Well I get attached of course to character I play in mmorpg and not surprisingly in I play female character they are usually not so very girly in behaviour lol , also I never try to make an impresssion that I am girl in RL (I am not obviously) and I never try to use it to get 'help' in mmorpg's as usually I am preety resourceful in mmorpg's and actually I am usually on 'giving' end of help rather than on 'receiving' end.

For those people that I group with if someone asks or for example try to hit on me (cause he thinks I am woman in RL) I just tell that I am not lol  (well sometimes I do tease him for a short while making bit of small fun out of situation ,but that's very rare and never take long lol).

Hope that answer your question.

• GennerallGennerall Member Posts: 46

I suppose there are two reasonS why I personally choose to play female characters over male ones. The first reason for this would be that i want to play a character that is as different from me as they possibly could be, and in many games only human-like races are offered so I immediately lean towards playing as a girl. However if there are none-human races, I would perhaps choose them over playing as a female, i'll be playing an Asura in guild wars 2 for example.

Secondly,  I'm a big fan of J-RPGs. And as is typical of a lot of Asian games, the male character builds are damn ugly or ridiculously feminine, where as the female builds are well designed and typically have a much greater level of customisation. 

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Elikal

And to you guys who play girls, how do you feel doing that?

I like to tuck it back and tell random Players "it puts the lotion on it's skin".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

Most of the time I play female models because the artists spend way more time on them.  If artists spent time making the male models look decent I would play them.

I didn't mind playing male models in Tera or Aion, because the male models in those games clearly received the same attention the female ones did.

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Well, one has to point out the "RPG" part of mmorpg, in contrast of a "virtual world" that is Second Life for example, everyone kinda IS expected to ROLE-PLAY as a "character", when you make a choice to select a character close to yourself, it is just your choice, not something anyone is expected to do, its not Facebook, but a game where you can be a dwarf, lizardman, or a fairy , hehehe, im funny today :)

And ASS :)

Flame on!

:)

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Personally I still RP. So I play characters of both sexes. I tend to play "concept" characters thet most often only "feel" right when they are  certin sex.

Sometimes my daughter likes to watch me play, so I will play a "cutesy" character for her. If I let her do all my toon creation I'd always have pink hair and what not lol.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

I see my character as "me" in the game, so being a male and playing a female character feels weird :)

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by dinams

here we go again

Expect:

"IF I NEED TO SEE AN ASS FOR HOURS AND HOURS...." cliche

How about this:

I'm sick of male characters that look like steroid abusing neanderthals.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

To be honest, I lack this particular difficulty of separating reality from fantasy. My avatar is not me, it's computer pixels that I choose because I find them pleasing to the eye. It is not some magic cosmic representation of my chi or something. Games are just that, they're not some revelation about my inner being.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Not everything is externalizing your own self or looking at someones butt. There are also aesthetic reasons. I happen to find the female figure more beautiful than the male one, and no , i dont identify with it. Its just a game for gods sake. If i want to play a female ne because i think they look nicer thats probably the only reason there is.

I also think Lamborghinis look cool and i dont think i am one... vrooomm vrooommmm

• jdreamjdream Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by Emrendil

I see my character as "me" in the game, so being a male and playing a female character feels weird :)

^ This

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by MortisRex

To be honest, I lack this particular difficulty of separating reality from fantasy. My avatar is not me, it's computer pixels that I choose because I find them pleasing to the eye. It is not some magic cosmic representation of my chi or something. Games are just that, they're not some revelation about my inner being.

Yup.

It's also hard to make the "perfect dream woman / man" in most character editors for me. *insert "Yeah but you are a pony!" joke*

The editors most often won't allow so much tweaking that it even comes close or the basic features which are always the same prevent it. Skyrim for instance; a recent game with pretty realistic graphics; I was really annoyed with the basic face geometry you are condemned to; sure, you can adjust it to some extent but never what I really wanted.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Really people that make threads like this spook me.

Play the game the way you ,llike to play and if the person next to you isn't messing up your game then let them play the way they want to play.

Its probably best not to psycho analyze why people may like to play differently then you. So many people here think theres only one way to do things and if its not the way they do it its wrong.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

You really need to distinguish between playing out a fantasy and playing out your fantasy, even when it is not a sexual fantasy per say.

Personally i play both sexes in most MMO's depending on the general ascetics and appeal (non sexual) of the class, sex, etc.

If i don't like how armor looks on a male orc i don't have any issues playing a female one, at least in WoW over the past 9+ years I've played just about every race and every sex of it depending on what felt like it at the time.

I don't quite get sexual attraction to characters not because they are not real but because most of them can't be in any way related too in a sexual manner, they don't look real, and they usually don't look attractive not even in the most realistic games since they drop straight into the uncanny valley for me.

Heck even in games like mass effect when they are basically copying real life people like miranda but even then when i look at her i see the actress not the pixels...

In WoW i had princcess my male orc which i've used to run around with in a wedding dress, not becasue of any sexual related issues of secret fantasys of crossdressings but becasue i was rollfing my arse off while drinking beers and planing the weekend raid.. When i played my female nelf hunterss i've also had no sexual toughts like damn her ass looks good in those pants, the only time i had any tought about her ass is when i was standing in fire and it was burning :P

About being "spooked" well that's your own personal experience, and yes the fact that you are gay matters here, gay and straight men and women process sexual stimuli in different ways.

And that has been proven in countless medical and psychological studies. Men don't objectify and sexualize everything because their pigs or because society told them so but because their brains are basically wired to do so.

Females on the other hand process sexual stimuli differently, its mostly apparent when you are looking at sexual deviations and fetishes.

Females will be very hard presses do associate a man's whole leg, foot, or a thigh with sexual content to men on the other hand that's almost like 2nd nature. You also will be hard pressed to find a woman staring at a men's chest no matter how long did he spent time at the gym beefing himself up.

When gay males and females were studied in relation to sexual stimuli they've found quite intresting results, some gay men and gay women proccess sexual stimuli like their hetrosexual counterparts, but thats a fairly low percentage, the 2 main deviations were found to be that homesexuals tend to proccess sexual stimuli in a manner simmilar to the way their hetrosexual counterpars from the opposite sex do, while many others were litterly fighting over how they should proccess sexual stimuli and there were very intersting neuron simulations from those MRI, and EEG scans that who litteral race conditions going on in your brain(thats allmost as good as porn for software engineers :P) which usually express it self with "irry" "spooky" or "confused" feelings.

And if we go back again to reality there's also a more simpler expnlation to all of this in which most people that play RPG's and MMO's dont give a flying fuck about the char(in a rolyplaying mannter), they do it for the fun and the story, i really don't care if i play a male or human shepard, heck in ME3 playing the male one doesnt even stop kaiden from comming on to you which was basically the only advantage at the time(no offense :)).

When i play WoW i dont play for the personal story(thats somthing that actually bugged me in TOR), i play for the fun of it being in a group with friends lauhging and telling jokes over vent, and killnig stuff for brag rights. This isn't a book, this isnt some really creepy JRPG like persona, its a western MMO :P

Somtimes a shoe is just a shoe, and while i respect that you need to be able to pour yourself into a char, you need to understand that the vast majority of today's MMO players are not like that.