Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question to those who've played Tera and GW2...

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Originally posted by R.I.O.T

I said the combat system is "Similar to WoW." or it could even be "AION" or "RIFT." Doesn't matter which, they all use a tab- targeting system.

I don't-- What???

Aion and Rift have combat systems nearly identical to WoW's, and these are your examples? There is more to a combat system than whether or not it has targeting! Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Dragon Age, Guild Wars, Metroid Prime, Phantasy Star Online, and WoW all have targeting systems and none of them have even vaguely similar combat.

aion don't use global CDs and is hardly a spam fest of skill

and that berzerker vid, that char have a really nice weapon with atq speed, he is attakcing faster then normal, plus his running speed is also higher then normal, that is high lvl play not everyone will get there

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by evilastro

When you have played GW2, or even GW1, it will make sense.

GW1 uses tab targetting, and has by far the most skill based / tactical PvP combat in the MMO genre, far more than TERA offers.

Aiming does not equate to skills being meaningful or tactical. The class skills in TERA are pretty generic, and to be honest there isnt much thought involved in combat aside from aiming and dodging.

GW2 doesnt have aiming (aside from AE and column attacks) but the skills on your hotbar mean more than something to cast on cooldown. I dont understand why you think this is confusing?

As I fail to see why you think GW2 is so tactical I ask why you think TERA isn't. I don't doubt GW2, but don't discredit TERA either.

In TERA I have to look at my opponents position, I have to watch the opponents animations(so i can dodge/block), I also have to pay attention to my cooldowns(just like in GW2), I also need to sneak in hits to restore mana with my poorly damaging left mouseclick, I also can not spam my skills due to rooting(as I can leave myself exposed), I also have to use skills accordingly to the situation present. Lastly certain skills also fire once and then after one second passes the cooldown starts, but if clicked rapidly can fire up to three times, therefore even something as simple as a normal skill can become more powerful in the right circumstances(also evident with skills that can be charged).

Hell you can even use mobs to your advantage, an archer was charging on me and dodge was on CD so I run behind the mobs and there you go, successfully avoided his attack.

There is a metric crapload of tactics in PvP especially if you want to be successful.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by komobo

I definitely agree with your first paragraph.

However, I disagree with your ascertain that the animation lock is what provides the means of distinguishing a skilled player from that of nooby one. Again, you can be as spammy in Tera as in any other MMO. Spam all you skills in WoW and be sure that you will be dispatched quickly.

No, what provides the notion of skill is the fact that you have to aim your abilities. If you do not master the art of aiming you are opening up yourself for an enemy's attack. What rooting does do however, is make it so that anticipating the position of your enemy is easier and thus provides you with a subtle 'helping hand' in aiming your ability.

This is not entirely true, with excessive spam, you literally can not dodge an enemies attack and makes someone who spams still able to deal massive amounts of damage, look at GW2s greatsword weapon, you can swing and swing non-stop while turning in all directions, your dodge has a CD and while your dodging he can just keep running while spamming his sword to the area you are dodging and hit you regardless. It does not take nearly as much thought as when you know missing a skill causes serious repercussions.

If you fought another person using a greatsword as well, same gear and he was spamming do you think you could kill him without taking a decent amount of damage? Let alone a 2v1, which in TERA is entirely possible to beat two people with the same gear and class as you by yourself.

Agreed, senseless spamming in Tera may not be as efficient as in GW2 because in Tera there is a strict directional requirement, in other words you have to aim your abilities in Tera but that has nothing to do with the animation lock. Whether dodging as per your example is efficient or not, depends entire upon the distance you travel when dodging. There is no reason to assume that the short distance you travel in Tera when dodging is mirrored in GW2. However, the reason for this short distance in Tera is exactly due to the presence of animation lock.

Do i think 2v1 in GW2 is possible? I have no clue as i haven't tried the game yet. But i can tell you that i have certainly done 2v1 in WoW to name one, which undeniably were due to nooby opponents as is the case with your 2v1 Tera example, i am sure.

* Waves at Pushkina *

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

That's completely beside his point. Please use reading comprehension when replying to posts. He is trying to explain why Tera's combat is not like most action games or FPS's, and you keep explaining why you like Tera's combat.

You're making the assumption that when he says it "limits control" he means that it's a bad thing. Look at your first sentence. It doesn't limit control because it's more tactical? No, it does limit control, but that's okay because combat is more tactical as a result.

To Sector13 it is bad thing, anything about TERA is a bad thing. Do you even know how many times this guy posts in TERA forumns??? (Everything negative btw)

What I'm saying... is it may do so but has its purpose, why are you going out of your way to make a point I already got for someone else? Some people agree its a bad things and won't play TERA cuz of that sole reason...

And when I try to point something out that is legitamate you toss it aside like it doesn't matter. That is why fanboys are annoying, You said that it has FPS like controls and I am explaining that it doesn't technically, how is that negative? You generalize GW2 as being tab target as though it's exactly like WoW and Aion when others are explaining that it isn't. I'm just pointing out how your statements are flawed and you act like I am bashing TERA. Yes, limited controls are bad to me, but that wasn't the point of the discussion but like most fans you jump right to the "omg he's bashing TERA again" crap. It's almost like you people never had real criticizim in your lives before.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Dudes, he is talking about combat - not the graphic style :P

Anyway.

TERA excellent combat. Totally FPS style targeting - you need to aim ! , dodging - the whole deal.

(dont listen to people talking about self rooting - its important gameplay element)

BTW - check RaiderZ , its F2P with same combat style , but imho even better

GW2

Tab targeting. Bit closer to AOC than TERA.

Its mix of old system and TERA.

Stile line of sight, dodging ...

But mch more varied in skills and effects than both Tera and RaiderZ

IMHO

Both have their merits. And both are loads of fun :)

Good post. GW2 is much more tactical in my opinion - skills are a lot more meaningful, but doesnt require aiming for most direct attacks (although you can still dodge them).

I don't know if you took in his post well or not, but saying "skills are more meaningful and tactical" in GW2 without rooted combat coupled with the point that they don't require aiming doesn't really make sense.

That just makes me think of WoW where you spam frostbolt, not very tactical. Not bashing GW2 combat at all, but just saying your statement doens't make much sense.

In GW you do have to worry less about targeting

But you can still dodge and avoid damage.

Its actually close to DCOU

On other hand in GW2 you have far more effects you can put on target.

From blind, bleed, curses, root, knockdown...etc

Its very tactical in its self.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

I don't-- What???

Aion and Rift have combat systems nearly identical to WoW's, and these are your examples? There is more to a combat system than whether or not it has targeting! Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Dragon Age, Guild Wars, Metroid Prime, Phantasy Star Online, and WoW all have targeting systems and none of them have even vaguely similar combat.

you know what? No sense in arguing over something that I can only see in videos, I have to wait like most to actually play the game. Until then GW2 combat just seems less appealing than TERAs, that is my opinion...until I try it for myself.

I guess I can't add anything if you absolutely refuse to so much as acknowledge a single one of my points.

To Sector13 it is bad thing, anything about TERA is a bad thing. Do you even know how many times this guy posts in TERA forumns??? (Everything negative btw)
    What I'm saying... is it may do so but has its purpose, why are you going out of your way to make a point I already got for someone else? Some people agree its a bad things and won't play TERA cuz of that sole reason...

I don't care what his opinion on Tera actually is. He expressed that he preferred other systems. So what? It doesn't change his argument. He never said it was bad in this thread. He only expressed that it wasn't for him.

Do you really think that the only thing he's trying to explain is why the system is bad? Did you truly completely miss that he's trying to explain that Tera's combat is different from FPS-style games and not as similar as you were making it out to be?

You really need to work on your reading comprehension. I never said GW2 didn't have a targeting system, and Sector13 never (in this thread) said that Tera's combat was inherently bad for being more restrictive. In his first post in this thread, he even said he likes where Tera is pointing MMOs. Where the hell do you get that he's trying to bash the game?

Stop being so defensive. We're not attacking Tera. We're not even criticizing the game, and yet you're putting up a brick wall.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Originally posted by Sector13

And when I try to point something out that is legitamate you toss it aside like it doesn't matter. That is why fanboys are annoying, You said that it has FPS like controls and I am explaining that it doesn't technically, how is that negative? You generalize GW2 as being tab target as though it's exactly like WoW and Aion when others are explaining that it isn't. I'm just pointing out how your statements are flawed and you act like I am bashing TERA. Yes, limited controls are bad to me, but that wasn't the point of the discussion but like most fans you jump right to the "omg he's bashing TERA again" crap. It's almost like you people never had real criticizim in your lives before.

Like I said, I'm not going to take someone elses word about game...When I can find out when the times comes. Just likeTERA is with you, if I came across your comments before ever playing TERA. I'd probably never touch it, and I'm not only talking about what you post here.

What makes me a "fanboy"? Oh wow...using that word sickens me, you know as well as I do that any topic regarding TERA! You're right here putting some negative response to it. Seems to me you're the very person that you're are trying to describe me as, "fanboy" of GW2... Why even use that word? I don't play just TERA, but I do enjoy it.

You make it your goal and religous job to say how much you dislike TERA. You're very uptight about your precious MMO...about my flawed statements, you seem to think you know everything about a game you have yet to play.

Yet another person who reverts back to name calling...    >.>     nerd rage

Are you some kind of meta troll???

Do you even realize what you're doing? You're making up arguments for us and then coming up with rebuttals to those made-up arguments!

I beseech you! Read our posts!

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Short snappy answer to the OP:

NO, they are RPGs not FPS

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

I don't care what his opinion on Tera actually is. He expressed that he preferred other systems. So what? It doesn't change his argument. He never said it was bad in this thread. He only expressed that it wasn't for him.

Do you really think that the only thing he's trying to explain is why the system is bad? Did you truly completely miss that he's trying to explain that Tera's combat is different from FPS-style games and not as similar as you were making it out to be?

You really need to work on your reading comprehension. I never said GW2 didn't have a targeting system, and Sector13 never (in this thread) said that Tera's combat was inherently bad for being more restrictive. In his first post in this thread, he even said he likes where Tera is pointing MMOs. Where the hell do you get that he's trying to bash the game?

Stop being so defensive. We're not attacking Tera. We're not even criticizing the game, and yet you're putting up a brick wall.

Are you kidding me? I think you need to stop accusing me of having no comprehension, grow up. Notice that to both of you, I never once did call you a name or say you're lacking in any kind of intelligence. Why go there? Why, cuz my opinion on a game is different than yours...says alot about you

This is what he said about it...

Why get so bent over shape for a game that is not even released yet!! Holy crap - If the combat of GW2 is not like WoW, AION or RIFT...Then I will find out, only time will tell and when I actually play the game.

Though I do hope what people say the combat is like, is true...Would make GW2 much more enjoyable, but I've learned that when something sounds "to good to be ture," it usually is.

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I don't know if you took in his post well or not, but saying "skills are more meaningful and tactical" in GW2 without rooted combat coupled with the point that they don't require aiming doesn't really make sense.

That just makes me think of WoW where you spam frostbolt, not very tactical. Not bashing GW2 combat at all, but just saying your statement doens't make much sense.

In GW you do have to worry less about targeting

But you can still dodge and avoid damage.

Its actually close to DCOU

On other hand in GW2 you have far more effects you can put on target.

From blind, bleed, curses, root, knockdown...etc

Its very tactical in its self.

I do not doubt the tactical aspects of GW2, don't get me wrong, but I am saying the points he states do not make sense when put together, as all the things he implies GW2 doesn't have add more tactics to TERAs combat, so why it would favor GW2 being more tactical doesn't make sense.

Are you kidding me? I think you need to stop accusing me of having no comprehension, grow up. Notice that to both of you, I never once did call you a name or say you're lacking in any kind of intelligence. Why go there? Why, cuz my opinion on a game is different than yours...says alot about you

This is what he said about it...

This. This is what I'm talking about! You took that one highlighted part out of context. Reading comprehension tells you that he isn't saying it's objectively bad. He's saying he doesn't care for it. That's what the "to me" part means. And for the record, I began typing my post before he submitted that one.

You just keep taking one tiny part of an entire paragraph and respond to it as though it's the entirety of our posts. I never said you tried to insult us! I only said you were getting defensive about Tera when nobody was so much as criticizing it.

EDIT: Let me summarize approximately what happened. I'll try my best to not make anyone sound like an idiot. Tell me if this sounds inaccurate.

R.I.O.T: "Tera's combat system is FPS-like."
    Sector13: "It isn't very FPS-like. I don't personally like it very much."
    R.I.O.T: "You're always bashing Tera."
    Shroom_Mage: "He isn't trying to bash Tera. You're being too defensive."
    R.I.O.T: "I never tried to insult you guys!"

If you think it's inaccurate, please summarize what actually happened.
    If you think it's accurate but unreasonable, then hopefully we've made progress.
    If you think this sounds both accurate and reasonable, then there's nothing more I can do.

EDIT2: What I'm trying to explain, by the way, is that this is a huge series of misunderstandings that went from bad to worse. Looking at your first post, I have to ask if you only watched the first portion of the video you were responding to. In the very beginning of the video, I can see how someone might think combat is like WoW. The second half of the video, and especially the end, shows you that combat is very different. If you watched the entire video and still disagree, then I give up on this entire thread. It's too hard to explain things to you without them being misinterpreted.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

imo, in tera u actually need some skills to play esp pvping, and it's easier to balance whereas in the usual auto-targeting system the developers have to design the skills which u use to be effective kinda of theory vs practical (tera).

i played tera and did some pvping and it was fun and challenging, unfortunately i hv yet to try gw2 therefore i will reserve any positive/negative comments.

it's better to experience it first hand than watch the video...

for those that disagree u dont hv to force uour opinion down our throats:p

Originally posted by komobo

Originally posted by Elminzter

really QQ abt the animation lock, which in tera's case is part of the combat mechanics i.e. u cant spam skills like in all the button smashes, just remember one man's meat is another's poison

imo, these games are trying to innovate which is good for us.

Yes yes, qq about this and qq about that. Never mind Skyrim's PC UI, it's just a part of the game's UI design or what about the camera control in Kingdoms of Amalur, that's just how it was setup right?

We can apply that train of thought to any and everything, that way we needn't actually think and there is certainly no need for the tedious and time-consuming task of expressing ones opinion on any matter.

Oh and Tera lets you spam any skills as much as any other MMO. The animation rooting acts as a GCD, you can of course choose to think of it as clever anti-spam functionality but in reality it is nothing but a nice animation in place of a GCD.

Innovation is usually a good thing but it does not mean that innovation should go uncontested or one should throw critical-thinking overboard, for the sake of....innovation.

yep this has been done b4 dragon nest and vindictus but now we have a persistent world with a water down similar mechanics of coruse i am excited arent u sick of the usual crap, aoc combat was pretty cool, but after a while it gets tired...

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Tera had some serious downsides to it's combat.  A lot of starting and stopping to cast instants which basically degenerated into a click fest.  If stopping everytime you wanna cast an instant doesn't drive you insane you may like Tera.  I think I was hoping for the Tera combat to be more Dragon Nest like (lot's of dodging and not stopping to cast instants).

I haven't played GW2 so I can't really speak to it's combat.

really QQ abt the animation lock, which in tera's case is part of the combat mechanics i.e. u cant spam skills like in all the button smashes, just remember one man's meat is another's poison

TERA's combat is not an innovation. It's been done in console games and already a few online games. I like where TERA is pointing MMOs but I feel that Vindictus, Dragon Nest and C9 were the games to point the industry in that direction. TERA is just taking that combat to open world but that doesn't change the fact that the combat has been done before.

agree and its p2p not p2win :p

Originally posted by Mardukk

Tera had some serious downsides to it's combat.  A lot of starting and stopping to cast instants which basically degenerated into a click fest.  If stopping everytime you wanna cast an instant doesn't drive you insane you may like Tera. 

did u try pvping in tera or dragon nest for that matter, i tried both and u need some skills be decent not saying that i am good lol:p

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Holy nerd rage and and joker's ass parts batman.

Really, really guys. This thread is epic win or fail.

Ok Here we go:

One: look at GW2 posted videos (in this thread, skilled pvp warrior - obviously few posters took the time to) you can dodge as much if not more than in terra to avoid attacks .. This is a FACT.

--- why is it a fact. Well for one you can always move but for channeled/casted abilities (less common) thus can always move out of an attacks path.  Tera your rooted often = less dodge + limited dodge skills.

TWO: Tera uses an fps style aiming , GW2 uses FPS sytle aiming (it does can you believe that). Tera doesn't have tab targeting. GW2 does have tab targeting.  Tera no GT GW2 does have GT. Both have pbaoes.

Three: If a projectile is not insta (has travel time) you can dodge it in both games. Understand that, in both games reguardless of tab targeting or not you can simply side step, aoe, travel time abilities. However, currently in GW2 many range abilities seem to home in on targets, hopefully this is fixed.

GW2 is more action based, as your not stuck in one spot, arguing opposed to this is ludicris. As far as tactical, we will see, there are currently many aspect of each game that add tactical play , need to know more.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Originally posted by Mardukk

Tera had some serious downsides to it's combat.  A lot of starting and stopping to cast instants which basically degenerated into a click fest.  If stopping everytime you wanna cast an instant doesn't drive you insane you may like Tera. 

did u try pvping in tera or dragon nest for that matter, i tried both and u need some skills be decent not saying that i am good lol:p

I didn't find the Tera combat to be anything like Dragon Nest.  Dragon Nest, while a very flawed game, at least got the combat right.  Smooth fluid combat with lots of dodging.

Originally posted by Jetrpg

Holy nerd rage and and joker's ass parts batman.

Really, really guys. This thread is epic win or fail.

Ok Here we go:

One: look at GW2 posted videos (in this thread, skilled pvp warrior - obviously few posters took the time to) you can dodge as much if not more than in terra to avoid attacks .. This is a FACT.

--- why is it a fact. Well for one you can always move but for channeled/casted abilities (less common) thus can always move out of an attacks path.  Tera your rooted often = less dodge + limited dodge skills.

TWO: Tera uses an fps style aiming , GW2 uses FPS sytle aiming (it does can you believe that). Tera doesn't have tab targeting. GW2 does have tab targeting.  Tera no GT GW2 does have GT. Both have pbaoes.

Three: If a projectile is not insta (has travel time) you can dodge it in both games. Understand that, in both games reguardless of tab targeting or not you can simply side step, aoe, travel time abilities. However, currently in GW2 many range abilities seem to home in on targets, hopefully this is fixed.

GW2 is more action based, as your not stuck in one spot, arguing opposed to this is ludicris. As far as tactical, we will see, there are currently many aspect of each game that add tactical play , need to know more.

as i didnt play gw2 i am not able to comment, but i did play tera therefore i could.

i did watch the videos of tera b4 i even played it and i wasnt impressive, but after playing it i could understand why they did it this way one word latency, if they made it too much like dragon nest the latency will kill it for those players with high latency, so they tone it down like a cooldown effect which helps for those ppl hv pings 250-500ms

btw, did u even play both if u did pls share your wisdom.

btw, being able to bunny jump and hop around like a jack ass is fun lol:p

• SeleniteSelenite Member UncommonPosts: 38

Hi, first time posting >__> ...hi

[mod edit]

I started with Tera and I must say that the combat was fun, yet also annoying. All the visuals and attacks seemed great but I ended up being incredibly annoyed how I got rooted by almost every single attack I did. It felt a bit like Aion + some 3second long movies. Sure I ended up thinking and really watching out for enemy attacks so at around lvl 20  I already were used to the combat, my only disappointment was how lifeless and boring the world felt, but combat wise at the end I was very pleased.

[mod edit]

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

TERA's combat is not an innovation. It's been done in console games and already a few online games. I like where TERA is pointing MMOs but I feel that Vindictus, Dragon Nest and C9 were the games to point the industry in that direction. TERA is just taking that combat to open world but that doesn't change the fact that the combat has been done before.

That depends on who you ask, to some, Chronoscrolls are P2W. So, I'd rather not have to buy a game that is P2W anyway.

Originally posted by Selenite

Hi, first time posting >__> ...hi

I had a chance to play both games this weekend and it was the first time playing both.

I started with Tera and I must say that the combat was fun, yet also annoying. All the visuals and attacks seemed great but I ended up being incredibly annoyed how I got rooted by almost every single attack I did. It felt a bit like Aion + some 3second long movies. Sure I ended up thinking and really watching out for enemy attacks so at around lvl 20  I already were used to the combat, my only disappointment was how lifeless and boring the world felt, but combat wise at the end I was very pleased.

After all that I got to play from a friends gw2 beta account and boy it was fun. Sure CBT is CBT and many things need fixing but I just loved the combat. You might not see it in the videos but this game is really skill wised and dodge is your best friend.  I tried going to and fighting mobs quite higher lvl them me and had moments when if I didn't use dodge or switch weapons for abilities I was killed in 1 -2hits. And the world just seemed so..so independent and real.

I also tried WvWvW, got lucky and ended up with a good group of people fighting other enemy team. I thought I would only see zerg, but was lucky to have this small people fight. Fights involved a lot of movement, more then I was used to, and fast reaction not faceroll..was fun.

>__> also tried those 5v5 battles...damn, maybe it was them or it was me, but the level of people playing was far over the top. I felt amazed by there skill of playing and felt pathetic for myself not being able to react and move as much.

So can gw2 simulate the fighting of Tera? Yes and no, if you want the freedom to bash multiple enemies with your attacks then sure you can. But the flow of battles is totally different.  GW2 felt more fluid for me -for being able to cast, attack while on the move + dodging.

Not praising any of the, liked playing both, I'm going to buy gw2 for sure, still thinking about tera, mostly because I don't know too much about later levels of the game.

Characters I played:

Tera- Castanic Slayer, High Elve Sorcer

Guild Wars 2 - Human Elementalist, Norn Guardian.

also gw2 combat and gw1 combat felt as similar as air to a rock /my thoughts

thanks for sharing, my experience with tera was pvping me a lvl20 war vs a lvl19archer (red), it was fun w1 actually need to use our skills to move into position to attack, its not like the mad rush kinda of cs type of movement which involves bunny jump etc.., it was fun lol.

If I want to be honest, I think it's just that a majority of the MMO fanbase does not understand rooted combat and is not used to it IMO. Particularly those who have only mucked around in WoW, SW:TOR, Rift, etc. Not saying these games have awful combat, they are just different and have become extremely boring to me now, even more so after playing TERA. I quit WoW after CBT2 of TERA.

Games like Devil may cry, dark souls, monster hunter, the witcher 2 all use this style of combat and are highly acclaimed by many. Those are the people TERA aims to attract I'd say.

With that in mind, TERAs combat becomes stupidly fast at later levels anyways, with speed boosts attributed to most armor, while the rooting is still in place it is not nearly as significant.

That depends on who you ask, to some, Chronoscrolls are P2W. So, I'd rather not have to buy a game that is P2W anyway.

here let me paste the definition for u, as it only involves gold how could it be p2win:p

-------------------

Chronoscrolls FAQ

Q: In ten seconds tell me, what are chronoscrolls?

A: Chronoscrolls are an in-game item we're using to fight gold farming, game account theft, phishing, chat spam, and other criminal behaviors in order to create a better gameplay environment for TERA. Players can trade their excess gold for chronoscrolls and redeem those chronoscrolls to play TERA for free. Other players can buy chronoscrolls and sell them in the game as a way to earn more gold. Both groups of players get what they want, without having to interact with cyber-criminals. By creating a legal market where players trade game gold for game time, we can reduce demand for the illegal trading of game gold for real money, and thereby reduce criminal enterprises. That might be more like a twenty second answer, but I think it hits the key points. Of course, you probably have a lot more questions now!

--------------------