Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Couple Craft/Farm/Fight

OmpetOmpet Member Posts: 8

Hi!

Me and my girlfriend will soon hit a game together. She is pretty new to all this MMORPG and mostly played FB-games, but she likes the whole deeper experience, since FB games are really only click-click-DONE.

What we are looking for is a game that focus almost equaly between Fishing/Farming/Mining (whatever non-combat stuff) as it does with the combat stuff. She should not have to fight her way through the game, if she just want to log on and play some farmstuff or anything like that a late evening :)

Since it's her first MMO she don't want to pay any numerous cash for it, so F2P would be best.

I have played Atlantica, which I found a neat crafting system, I have played RuneScape which I found balanced the game nice and good (you could stand fishing a whole day if you would like, and get some lvls). But RS are outdated , and in Atlantica you at least had to fight up to lvl 40 until you could do any serious crafing, and those who didn't craft but just fought had a upperhand!

So, do you know any game that could fit into the description? Soon to come, or just released (or just a new server works too)?

Thanks in advance :)

PS. The whole "marry-system" or anything like that are not a prio AT ALL. We just want to play together :)

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Most games that have crafting or at all make it into just a minor side activity, and something to do to make you better at combat.  You mention Atlantica, and there, you can't even do crafting without combat.

Two games that do have combat, and also other stuff to do besides combat, are Puzzle Pirates and Uncharted Waters Online.  The land combat in UWO is terrible, though, though the ship combat is all right.  I guess it depends on how much you want to do combat.  The game does put a big emphasis on crafting, trading, and exploration, though.  There's not much point in spending money on the game until you're higher level, though once you've got maybe 30 million or so ducats to spare, it can be nice to spend $10 to get some special shipbuilding permits.

As for Puzzle Pirates, well, does she like Tetris, or other such games?  Combat, crafting, and everything else is various puzzle games, but it does work together pretty well.  You can play free forever on a doubloon server if you like.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

i think wakfu is the best game for someone to come from facebook type games. It is similar graphically and the rest will be easy to pick up. that is if you like turn based things. but this game has a lot to offer someone who say liked farmville or frontierville and such.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Umm... I wish there was something like you describe. Xsyon comes to mind, although has a high entrance price for an indie game ($40 for one account). Minecraft is the only game (although non-MMO) that I can think of that can played multiplayer on the PC with fishing/farming/mining. 

Actually check out Wurm Online or Haven and Hearth... although I've heard PvP griefing horror stories. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• OmpetOmpet Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by deziwright

i think wakfu is the best game for someone to come from facebook type games. It is similar graphically and the rest will be easy to pick up. that is if you like turn based things. but this game has a lot to offer someone who say liked farmville or frontierville and such.

That game had the worst intro EVER. Me, who have been intersted in turnbased games since I was little loved the battle system, but man, 2 hours in to the game and I had NO IDEA were to go or who to speak to! Maybe I could give it another try and see if I can teach my girlfriend along the way (she was thrilled about the graphics and that you could do all kind of stuff, although she was a little sad that you had to pay for doing some of those activities, but it wasn't that expensive!) :)

• OmpetOmpet Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Quizzical

Most games that have crafting or at all make it into just a minor side activity, and something to do to make you better at combat.  You mention Atlantica, and there, you can't even do crafting without combat.

Two games that do have combat, and also other stuff to do besides combat, are Puzzle Pirates and Uncharted Waters Online.  The land combat in UWO is terrible, though, though the ship combat is all right.  I guess it depends on how much you want to do combat.  The game does put a big emphasis on crafting, trading, and exploration, though.  There's not much point in spending money on the game until you're higher level, though once you've got maybe 30 million or so ducats to spare, it can be nice to spend $10 to get some special shipbuilding permits.

As for Puzzle Pirates, well, does she like Tetris, or other such games?  Combat, crafting, and everything else is various puzzle games, but it does work together pretty well.  You can play free forever on a doubloon server if you like.

I have never met a fun "pirate"-game (anything on the sea usually sucks!)

Puzzle Pirates sounds more interesting, since she like to solve puzzles and she, for a fact, likes tetris, as long as she don't play it by herself (the new Battle Tetris on Facebook has cought her attention :) ).. I have to check it out :)

PS. What do you mean with a doubloon server?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Originally posted by Ompet

Originally posted by Quizzical

I have never met a fun "pirate"-game (anything on the sea usually sucks!)

Puzzle Pirates sounds more interesting, since she like to solve puzzles and she, for a fact, likes tetris, as long as she don't play it by herself (the new Battle Tetris on Facebook has cought her attention :) ).. I have to check it out :)

PS. What do you mean with a doubloon server?

Puzzle Pirates has two types of servers.  One is a subscription server where you pay $10/month or some such to play.

The other is doubloon servers where, in order to create a variety of items, it costs both PoE (the normal in-game currency) and also doubloons.  Doubloons are created only by buying them with real-life money, but you can buy them off of other players in-game.  If you want to play for free, then maybe you spend half of the PoE you get from playing the game to buy the doubloons necessary for what you want.

You should note that it's a very heavy dependence on player skill, with very little progression in the game.  So it's not like you're going to be forever crippled from buying doubloons with your PoE.  If player A is better at the game than player B, and player A deletes his character and starts a new one from scratch, then give player A an hour or so to let the game adjust to his skill level and he'll again be better than player B, even on his new character.

• Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

Give Haven and Hearth a try, the tales of griefing and mindless pk are pretty exaggerated. It has housing, it's main focus is farming/trading/crafting. There's no real monsters to fight, just animals you can hunt for food. Bears in that game are about as scary as any other MMO monster though... It has permadeath, but if you stick to making your own little corner in the world you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

besides H&H (post before this one) you can try also wurm online

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Mr_Wolfx

Give Haven and Hearth a try... It has permadeath, but if you stick to making your own little corner in the world you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Well, the occasional lag spurt while trying to ford a river and drowning, or scouting the woods for resources and wandering right into a murderous bear or boar tends to suck - but it doesn't really set you back in terms of your works. Only your latent skills.

The real problem is that you need to avoid all that which speaks Russian. They will f**k your s**t up without provocation.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Runescape. Has all kinds of skills to do and you can go throughout the whole game without ever doing combat at all except for the tutorial. H&H was good until they introduced the curious system but still give that a go too.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• a63ntorangea63ntorange Member Posts: 26

Ive at least beta tested, but mostly played every major mmo to date, I would say that your options are somewhat limited, but I think you guys should give a shot to fallen earth.  Theres an intense amount of crafting available as its a free 2 play game, and there is also the running around and harvesting mats, not as deep as farming like farmville, but the crafting side is pretty intense. It being a player based economy its really what the game is about.  When I say playerbased i mean that 90% of the stuff people wear and run around with are player made, not raid loot.

The combat is fairly simple, and the death penalties which are very few, are tame enough that even a wow player can get past them, which is rare in a mostly sandbox title.  Its quite fun, and currently im killing some time in it.  The penalties for playing it for free are also very tame, and I think at 5$ for each of you to get the updated crafting tool, unlocks your accounts to full status.  Very cheap in the swing of things.  Enjoy :)

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

I'd also suggest Wurm. Lots for the girlfriend to do without combat -- she can breed horses, run a dairy farm, tame animals, do cloth and leatherwork tailoring including saddles and bridles, there is pottery and wine making and cheesemaking, experiment with cooking and first aid and botanize the local hillsides for herbs and seeds. She may have to use some caution to avoid bears, spiders, trolls etc but really there is a ton of skills where she does not have to ever touch a weapon at all. I've gotten very tired myself of games where the entire focus is on combat, and for me Wurm is a welcome change.

The terraforming, digging, mining etc are the best in any crafter-oriented game I've played. There is shipbuilding and masonry and carpentry and lots of different types of smithing. You can make very good money smithing weapons, armor and tools and enchanting them for sale to other players.  Housing gives you a lot of freedom to design and plan out a homestead exactly as you want. The entire world is player made and for some, that means large scale community projects building roads, canals, tunnels through mountains and villages both large and small.

There are separate servers for pvp and pve, so if you choose the Freedom servers the girlfriend doesn't need to worry about griefers coming trying to gank you while you are working on your own projects.

There are however also some "cons" -- right now character customization and overall animations are still very weak, combat needs some additional polish, also it is a very slow-paced game that requires people who are more into the "process" of their activities, than ones who want quick achievements. Some call it "grinding" but its only grinding if you dislike what you are doing and want to hurry and get it over with fast -- if you actually slow down and concentrate on enjoying where you are, rather than trying to "catch up" to players who have been in the game longer, it doesn;t feel like grinding to me at all. The game is hardest for those gamers who have grown up with "action rpg" that rewards them with quick results and instant rewards. Old school gamers who are used to spending months to achieve goals. tend to fare better.

The game does have a tendency to absorb HUGE amounts of time for those who really get into it; for that reason its not as "casual friendly" as games that can be played just a few hours a week. If you stay away from your homestead very long, you'll find it decaying and suffering from neglect, walls and fences crumbloing,  animals starving, crops turning into weeds etc.. So not something really for weekend-only gamers, if you plan on a solo homestead of just you two together against the world. If you join a larger village where the absence of any one person is never that big a deal, its less of a problem. But for me, the fun of the game is striking out to make a place of your own.

This is not a game for everyone -- it caters to a fairly narrow niche and the question only you can answer is whether it is the right niche for you.

You can try Free 2 Play at first and see first whether you like it. Free players are capped at 20 skill, however it is also possible to earn silver coin ingame to pay for a premium account (which otherwise costs only about $6.50USD/mo.). So it would be possible to enetually be regular Premium account players at either completely zero cost, or very very minimal cost , you can basically get by patying only what you want, and in any case less than half the cost of most any other subscription game. 

The first week of Wurm is the roughest; as this game does not hold your hand and the starting week is easily the toughest. Send me a PM if you'd like any help getting established in a solo-style homestead of your own and I could help find a nice location.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

I would say EQ2 Amazing crafting system, my wife and I play alot, you can furnish some really nice houses and help with guild halls, the leveling is about the same as most mmos.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I'd give Wakfu a try, can do all that is listed.

• RighteousRighteous Member UncommonPosts: 99

Definetly Wurm Online. Watch some player/community based videos. Tons of farming, crafting, exploring is ALOT of fun especially when you first build your boat, trading, hunting, gathering, terraforming as someone said earlier. Be sure to read the wiki and tutorials/guides so that you fully understand what you are getting into and to get a feel for the game. Oh, and mind choosing the PvP side of things after the initial welcoming tutorial (which is well done btw) if that is not your goal. Have fun!

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Originally posted by Kalmarth

I would say EQ2 Amazing crafting system, my wife and I play alot, you can furnish some really nice houses and help with guild halls, the leveling is about the same as most mmos.

I crafted exclusively in both EQ2 and Vanguard when they came out. EQ2 had a pretty good system, although I felt like Vanguard's was superior. Of course EQ2 is currently F2P and Vanguard should be F2P come this summer.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

Isternia, or whatever it is may be a good option. It's the game that used to be Horizons.  You can craft, build your own house, etc.  The only thing is playerbase. I haven't played it for a while, so I'm not sure what it looks like now.

But, you can play free as a human with no land. If you want to play as a Dragon or have a plot or two of land, you have to pay the sub.

Also, there's LinkRealms. YOu can farm and craft, too.. There's also breeding roosters for fighting and stuff. There are a few public farms for farming and cages for breeding, but you can own your own land with real money.  Again, I haven't played in about 2 or so months. When I did, there were still in beta and you could only sign up during certain times or wait for an invite. I'm not sure if it's still like that.

But, its a cool game. There's dungeons to crawl and spells to find and learn. Form what I remember the crafting and gathering skills included farming, mining, tailoring and cooking. I think there are more, but they were not released at the time.