Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Face it, WoW is finished

BribarianIBribarianI Member Posts: 120

I know the population will remain high and a bunch of naives will be jumping around with their storebought pets and mounts and now classes, but it's over.

Need gold?  Just buy a boe pet and sell it

Dont feel like leveling?  Buy yourself scroll of resurrection

What's left?  They've milked almost all of it down to nothing, but go forth and level in MoP, within a few months after the expansion the scroll of resurrection will be bumped up and some clown will just lol past you and you timespent leveling like a fool.

There is no such thing as progression in WoW, because it is simply handed out when blizzard needs a few bucks.

Comments

• BribarianIBribarianI Member Posts: 120

[mod edit]

Ya havent we all heard this response.

Big deal, blah blah, game is fine, so they're handing out level 80s, mounts, gold, pets, and mounts.  It wont get any worse right.

The whole point of an rpg is to level and progress a character, what is it now exactly?

But you'll keep making excuses right up until the end, i know a diehard fanboi when i see one or at least someone who doesnt understand the very basics of how an rpg works.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

frist and forme most scrolls does not work on new accounts.. you need an old and inactive account, ergo you need to be a former subscriber to the game.

As for the pets and mounts... At least on the server i play pets dont sell all that well RTM or not.

And how can you say it is finished when you your self say that the population will remain high...

Your way of logic is a bit strange..

A more correct title woudl have been

"WoW is finished for me and here is why I think so"

Since it is far from finsihed for a lot of people.

This have been a good conversation

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Dont get me wrong i hate wow its everything that is wrong with the MMORPG industry...

LOL but tis far far from finished WOW has years and years left in it..

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

Instant 80 is over the line. I can get that on private servers, and I dont even have to pay for it.

The future of Wow: Create new char--->Instant max lvl + epic gear---->Raid current tier.  Or die.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by BribarianI

Originally posted by wartyxwt

[mod edit]

Ya havent we all heard this response.

Big deal, blah blah, game is fine, so they're handing out level 80s, mounts, gold, pets, and mounts.  It wont get any worse right.

The whole point of an rpg is to level and progress a character, what is it now exactly?

But you'll keep making excuses right up until the end, i know a diehard fanboi when i see one or at least someone who doesnt understand the very basics of how an rpg works.

Jokes on you, I don't even play. I did take my free level 80 rogue of course. I know exactly how an RPG works, seems like you don't though. I'll say it again because you clearly didn't actuallyread it before, there is PLENTY of progression in WoW, *YOU* can't see it, because you have the blinkers of "must do everything anally 50x in order, must not skip old content, must lose life to game, must grind, not have fun" yeah you've seen that before, because that is how NORMAL PEOPLE see games.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

For Blizzard.... Its really all about purchasing all expansion packs....They are not looking out for your welfare !!!

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I know the population will remain high and a bunch of naives will be jumping around with their storebought pets and mounts and now classes, but it's over.
    What's left?  They've milked almost all of it down to nothing, but go forth and level in MoP, within a few months after the expansion the scroll of resurrection will be bumped up and some clown will just lol past you and you timespent leveling like a fool.
    There is no such thing as progression in WoW, because it is simply handed out when blizzard needs a few bucks.

Yes it is, it will be F2P by 2017 and will go dark in 2021. It's a failure.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Wow is not dead. It did get a cough a while after cata came out and never really got better but it doesn't even have a fever yet.

Sure, Wow wont be the leading MMO game for ever, I am sure another will have take over within 3 years but the game is still far from finished just yet.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Loke666

Sure, Wow wont be the leading MMO game for ever, I am sure another will have take over within 3 years but the game is still far from finished just yet.

I would bet money, and a lot of it, that it will never be the case.

History shows that the population of MMO players surged incredibly *because* of WoW. It was the vast majority of *now* MMO Players' first one, unlike those of us that were there with Meridian or UO. Nothing is going to take over it's crown, because there is no such thing as a "spirtual successor" that can actually draw and keep Players like thier first.

WoW is by no means dead, or really dying at that, since people will continue to return to it as long as it's still active (like me and UO every couple years)... but the era of a million subscribers for any other game (without international marketing) is gone. You're never going to get that kind of consensus about a product unless it's their first taste of said digital ice cream.

~Oh, and the only thing that will kill WoW is Activision... by simply giving up once subs drop below what "they are willing to put up with". They have some high expectations set from the game's crazy success, so it makes sense to me they might scrap it the moment it drops low enough - then have a crazy push to shove players into the next product. Surely, the death of WoW will be the next Blizzard MMO, for many reasons.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by GTwander

I would bet money, and a lot of it, that it will never be the case.

History shows that the population of MMO players surged incredibly *because* of WoW. It was the vast majority of *now* MMO Players' first one, unlike those of us that were there with Meridian or UO. Nothing is going to take over it's crown, because there is no such thing as a "spirtual successor" that can actually draw and keep Players like thier first.

WoW is by no means dead, or really dying at that, since people will continue to return to it as long as it's still active (like me and UO every couple years)... but the era of a million subscribers for any other game (without international marketing) is gone. You're never going to get that kind of consensus about a product unless it's their first taste of said digital ice cream.

~Oh, and the only thing that will kill WoW is Activision... by simply giving up once subs drop below what "they are willing to put up with". They have some high expectations set from the game's crazy success, so it makes sense to me they might scrap it the moment it drops low enough - then have a crazy push to shove players into the next product. Surely, the death of WoW will be the next Blizzard MMO, for many reasons.

Good points, I don't think we will ever see those figures again, and the points you made will increase longevity at the top but all things end. It could well be a Blizzard product that does it, with their revenue stream they do not need to release Titan until it is gleamingly polished and full of content, that is for sure.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Can always do the acheivements, once done on one character do it on another character. Have afew months of playtime there even when you don't have to worry about leveling. Or just farm for gold or just do raids and grind for gear. If you don't like doing that then you won't like WoW.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Face it, WoW is finished

I know the population will remain high, but it's over.

Odd definition of over.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• lootdudelootdude Member UncommonPosts: 14

No need to be so upset, pal, coz all good things must come to an end, things happen, roll with it....

Occupy VoT, Occupy ORG, GO GO GO

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

....and i think you miss one HUGE point and that is just because you 'can' do these things, doesn't mean that you 'have' to do these things. Just because you have the ability to go straight to level 80 if you want to, doesn't stop you from levelling a character from 1 to 85 through just kills alone, questing alone, dungeons alone from L15 and so on, the game is there for you to play the way 'you' want to play it for the most part. Make the game your own, play it in whatever style you wish to play it, if you want to stop and enjoy the scenery at a particular level, turn off your xp and enjoy it.

Yes, Blizzard have changed the game a hell of a lot since the original vanilla release, but that is the nature of the beast, adapt or die. What i find most annoying is when people claim that they 'cannot' do something because Blizzard put in a new feature when in most cases they are well within their power to continue via the old methods but what they really mean is they can't be bothered with any effort to keep playing the game the way they want to and just give in to the newer method instead.......and then complain about it.

I have about a dozen L85's, but i also currently have 3 characters i am levelling in different ways, one through quests and dungeons, one through quests only and using only gear that drops or is given as rewards and another that i am levelling with all the gear i can muster for them. Subtle differences, but it keeps me personally amused when i am not gearing my 85's, it is the way i choose to play and i enjoy it.

It may well be finished personally for you, but there are still plenty of us that enjoy the game for what it is and what it allows us to do in terms of play style choice, but i guess it is all a personal perspective.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Just  one big LOL

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

I've always been capped at Wow fast, since vanilla I was in the first raiders. I did stop playing sometime for a few months, and i just love scroll of ressurect ,my friend got back and i do not have to wait a month or 2 before playing with him, it's amazing..

Wow isnt a game that stops at 85, far from that there are achievements and professions and lots of things to do around.

If you do not like "achievement" runs maybe you are just bored of MMo's...

• NeverdyneNeverdyne Member Posts: 167

I don't get why people are complaining about the Scroll of Ressurection. For one, you need to have an old inactive account to use it, you only get it once and only one character is boosted to 80 (which isn't the cap) and is given green quality gear, nothing to drool over. Besides, WoW is the type of MMO where the game actually starts at level cap (85) so I don't see what the big deal is. 

That aside, WoW will decline simply because it's old. Millions of people have been playing it for 7+ years now and like anything in life, if you do something for too long it starts to get stale. This is the normal life of an MMO, to achieve a peak and slowly dwindle down afterwards. The fact that WoW's population is declining is not the developer's doing, it's simply that the game is aging and there's new shinny stuff comming out now more than ever. 

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Wow is not dead. It did get a cough a while after cata came out and never really got better but it doesn't even have a fever yet.

I think we really have to see the financials on SWTOR.  Will they earn back their investment.  Honestly, I think the threat is over for WOW for at least 3 years... they only have to compete with themselves.   Cata was really a unique expansion because so much of the development time and cost went into non-endgame content.  They also made a minor mistake in making cata heroics much more difficult than WOTLK heroics... that should have been done a little more incrementally.

I don´t think there are many big developers that can pull off a major release and the marketing necessary to dent WOW anymore.  Warhammer and SWTOR were really the only two that ever had a chance.  AOC had the IP and budget to do it.. but.. wel.. it was Funcom...

I know people will quote x and y games that are upcoming.. but in reality, nobody outside of sites like this have ever heard of them.. they just will never be mainstream enough to make a dent in wow.

I think WOW has probably peaked and will never regain those 2M subscribers.. but I also think they aren´t going to continue to lose 1M subscribers per year either.   MoP has a lot of content coming for endgame and they have already acknowledged their mistake with cata heroics..

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Despite stumbling over a few undesired features and expansions, WoW may NEVER die out completely. 

Did UO go under?  No. Some people still revere UO as the ultimate sandbox MMO, and as a standard to which other sandbox MMOs should be held.

Has EQ disappeared off the face of the Earth?  No.  Not only is EQ still operating, but so is it's next-gen sequel, despite the unfortunate account hacking incident.

Some games are expansive enough to captivate a long-term audience, and it should be obvious by now that WoW is one of those games.

WoW may not remain the "Top Dog" of the MMO industry forever, but it's done enough to establish itself to a certain audience, and that's all any game can ask for.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Bunks

If WoW is finished, then SWTOR has been dead and buried already.

Jesus Christ, you're obsessed.  

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

M'yeah.... coming up next:  "Why WoW was a colossal failure from the start"....

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

One day WOW will go F2P and it will still be one the top games out. Your grandkids might be playing it and wanting to use your CC to buy some gold.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by travamars

One day WOW will go F2P and it will still be one the top games out. Your grandkids might be playing it and wanting to use your CC to buy some gold.

I think the F2P model for AAA titles is a little overdone.   DDO had huge success with it the first year... but we really haven´t heard of AAA companies making incredible profits since then.  Certainly for EQ2 and AOC it did not work because even with f2p they have not seen any real increase in players, let alone more money.  I think DDO was successful at it because they were the first AAA title that did it and also their content (with adventure packs) really lends itself well to free2play.  They also implemented a very generous system that didn´t handcuff your gameplay.  You could play almost every race and class and quest through a ton of content without ever paying.

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Lol. Funny topic title.

Don't think so though. They still have 9-10 million people playing it fairly regularly. Even if that number may change after this year, I don't think WoW is 'finished'. Content wise, there's enough features and mechanics they could go for, depending on how willing or daring the designers will be of course, but my guess is that if the numbers start dropping more and more, the willingness to try out some more daring features will increase accordingly.

So far, they've played safe because there was no need to rock the boat much.

• RavenmaneRavenmane Member Posts: 246

I love these posts.  They're funny to read.  A lot fo people don't even realize it's a troll post.  Some clarifying facts, though.  Yes, you have to be a prior-sub to get the free lvl 80.  They're not handing them out to new accounts.  So what if they sell pets and mounts for use in-game?  They're not forcing you to buy them.  They're not the only pets and mounts in the game.  There's over 100 others...each that you don't have to pay for.  Perhaps Blizzard wanted to make a BOE pet in order for people who can't afford $10 can buy them from someone who did pay $10 for it but use their gold instead.  I have yet to see that cub really go for any amount I would cough at on any of my servers.  You can get more for pets that are already in-game.  There's already work started on the 5th expansion and the 6th one is ready to get pitched (the 6th one which is years away) and they're not even stopping at those.

I think a lot of the hate has to do with the fact that WoW has reigned as king (in the opinion of some) of MMO's for too long and they want to read about a new game.  That and there are people out there who just want to troll and stir up hate because they don't like it.  It's kind of like how wars start.  One person has one opinion of how things should be and apparently everyone else is wrong if they think opposite.  But then here comes some people that feel the other way and now the first person wants to get rid of them simply for their views on things.  There's Star Wars, it's good.  There's Guild Wars, it's good, too.  What's the point of ranting about a game that you don't like?  If you don't like it and don't want to play...don't.  There are others out there for you to play then complain about the smallest thing about them that you don't like.  Unfortunately I doubt we will ever see the sub numbers wow pulled in another game.  Even the statistic guys at EA are aware of that but they're happy with their 1.5 million subs.  WoW has 10 million subs and the numbers leaving are getting smaller and smaller every quarter. 

I play WoW, SWTOR, GW, WoT, and LoL.  I don't play favorites.  I only have issues when people don't know the facts or they edit things to make them sound much more horrible than they are or truley aren't.  WoW is a good game.  Yeah, it doesn't cater to the hardcore and elite like it used to but things are changing to where a game doesn't need a population of hardcore to keep it going.  Just a population of people enjoying what they pay for.  And 10 millions subs are telling Blizzard they are doing fine.  That's over $450 million a quarter.  On my server there has been a surge of new players and returning players.

Now hopefully SWTOR will be awesome when patch 1.2 comes out.  GW...content has been kind of slow witht eh work they're doing on GW2 which is understandable.  Wargames.net rakes in seven digit numbers a month from World of Tanks.  And League of Legends is still fairly fun but I'm waiting for DOTA2.

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."