Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So where does the hate come from?

Why are there people so eagerly wishing for the failure of MMO titles? It starts when the MMO is still being developed ("this game is going to fail!"). After launch you have the waves of troll attacks. And finally, as subscribers inevitably start dropping they do their victory-dance ("It's dying, it's dying!"), no doubt hoping to hasten the MMO's demise. Phew, another MMO slayed!

Why are they so eager for failure?

Comments

• potbellyrhipotbellyrhi Member Posts: 38

Faster the bad ones go away the better chance a good one will get developed? Honestly the community as a whole is just bitter. We've been handed POS after POS for 8 years. Not to mention the MMO community is pretty much single-player Co-op gamers these days.

Bleh my 2 cents.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

This site is a PvP activity, a game bashing pastime. But be warned that if you counter trolls you will be admonished by the moderators.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437
    Frustration leads to hate, hate leads to desire for failure.
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Because they suck?

For example SWTOR is lineair as hell, small corridors going from quest marker to quest marker (so I've read) and even has instances. Exactly the opposite what a MASSIVEMorpg should be.

So. It MUST die. As a warning to other money grubbing/moronic developers. And as a penalty off course.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I think Metentso has a point.  There has been some games released that, while they had the potential to be good, were never worked on in a way to make them better or to fix bugs that existed.  SOE comes to mind for several games that I can think of.  That particualr developer has earn my apathy towards ANYTHING they make in the future.  Then there are the companies that have horrible customer service so that while the game is decent, if you do have a problem you might as well just stop playing.  I have had that with Blizzard, NCsoft, and SOE. 

Still, we have way to many people that absolutely love to see something fail.  I am not sure where the glee for that comes from.  It is after all jobs and PEOPLE that are affected.  I would much rather see the games improved so that the people that do enjoy playing them can continue to do so.  Personally, if I don't like a game, I tend to just stay away.  Which it looks like will be exactly what I do with GW2.  I have a bad taste in my mouth from NCsoft and the game just does not look to be my cup of tea, so I will be staying away from it.  Certainly don't want it to fail though.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Why do some people ignore reality and evidence and would rather only good things only ever be said about a game regardless. Personally I don't care if people dislike any of the games I play or have played, I have faith in my ability to make up my own mind.
  • UruktosUruktos Member Posts: 153

Large part of it is nostalgia, nothing can surpass the awesome memories of beloved games. UO, EQ1, SWG, these games were all good, but also flawed in their own ways. Nostalgia makes those flaws disappear, and creates this illusion of "the perfect game" so to speak.

Other large part is, actually, we haven't seen anything new in the genre, at all. Instances, phases, bread crumb questing, these are all outside MMO stuff that got integrated into MMOs. Since WoW's success, these features crushed the innovation of MMOs like an avalanche. Every new game that came out, revolved around these features, and thats why everyone hated them. Because they brought nothing new to the genre. You know, the multiplayer part of the game.

Ultimately, this isn't sustainable with the current subscription model, which is why everyone is moving towards to F2P.

As much as I hate to admit, MMORPGs, real MMORPGs, are a niche. No "next big thing" will be able to quench our thirst. We'll continue to hate new games more and more because they go further and further away from being an MMORPG and more into a multiplayer lobby game that happens to have many users.

Originally posted by thekid1

Because they suck?

For example SWTOR is lineair as hell, small corridors going from quest marker to quest marker (so I've read) and even has instances. Exactly the opposite what a MASSIVEMorpg should be.

So. It MUST die. As a warning to other money grubbing/moronic developers. And as a penalty off course.

Wow.  Even with the Free Beta Weekends, the recent Free Weekend, and the Friends codes you have not been able to play the game yet to make up your own mind?  Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will get you some free play time.  Maybe learning from experience will be better than "reading what Fred had to say".

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

The great Master Yoda once said:

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering."

They fear that the next great game will not be cater to their wants, or they fear the game will overshadow their own game.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

Originally posted by GMan3

Because they suck?

Wow.  Even with the Free Beta Weekends, the recent Free Weekend, and the Friends codes you have not been able to play the game yet to make up your own mind?  Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will get you some free play time.  Maybe learning from experience will be better than "reading what Fred had to say".

He didn't try it yet I can tell him he was correct.
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Because they suck?

Kind offer but no thank you. I played a few missions from Mass Effect 3 and that's more then enough Biocrap I can muster.

Lineair corridors and cutscenes FTW

Originally posted by RefMinor

Because they suck?

No, you can't.  You are not him, do not know his like / dislikes, and do not know what may just surprise him since he himself can't even know that.  What you do seem to know though, is that you would rather he stay ignorant than allow himself to be enlightened.  I am not saying he will like the game, but I am willing to give him the chance to relieve his ignorance himself rather than trusting "what this other Joe said".

Because they suck?

Kind offer but no thank you. I played a few missions from Mass Effect 3 and that's more then enough Biocrap I can muster.

Lineair corridors and cutscenes FTW

Up to you.  You might just find the gameplay to be better than the overall elements of the game or you may hate it.  Only one way to really find out.  Either way, my offer stand for as long as I have codes to give away.

Because they suck?

No, you can't.  You are not him, do not know his like / dislikes, and do not know what may just surprise him since he himself can't even know that.  What you do seem to know though, is that you would rather he stay ignorant than allow himself to be enlightened.  I am not saying he will like the game, but I am willing to give him the chance to relieve his ignorance himself rather than trusting "what this other Joe said".

He should try the trial, then he can tell you from an enlightened stance that the game is extremely linear and filled with instances.
  • GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

Wow people, really. I guess I should thank some of you for showing the 'hate' in action...

Originally posted by GrumpyJester

Wow people, really. I guess I should thank some of you for showing the 'hate' in action...

Well, if you are honest it's what you both expected and wanted when you made the thread.
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Heh, i swear this post comes up once a week, and it always boils down to the same things. Oh well guess i can wait till next week and say this in that thread also.

Lolipops !

• revslaverevslave Member UncommonPosts: 154

It is just easier to bash what you do not like then to express what it is you want. I do not think people actually know what they want, or have realistic expectations.

Nothing will change untill people remember that they are just playing a game,  which the end result is enjoyment.

Welcome Home

Rev

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

It seems that bitter hatred is popular nowdays.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Because they suck?

He should try the trial, then he can tell you from an enlightened stance that the game is extremely linear and filled with instances.

I don't know at what point SWTOR became extremely linear. It is lot more open than Rift atleast and people love that game. Instances too it is a dity word now? game sucks is his opinion but come on if people don't blow things out of proportions this wouldn't be mmorpg.com now.

Only because people dislike linear questing and instances doesn't make MMO over all bad, Rift is perfect example of this.

• meltingstarsmeltingstars Member UncommonPosts: 51

Destruction?  Creation?  Success? Failure?  Black White.  Good Bad.  Hate Love.  Right Wrong.  All intertwinined and connected.  Two sides of the same coin.  Polar opposites on the same spectrum.

Giving Recieving.

This is a pretty philosophical question and reminds me of a quotation from the movie Donnie Darko.

''They say right when they flood the house and they tear it to shreds that... "Destruction is a form of creation," so the fact that they burn the money is ironic. They just want to see what happens when they tear the world apart. They want to change things.''

Yet even I don't totally agree with that.  Destuction is usually violent and has powerful emotions tied with them.  A camp fire in my opinion would be the best form of destruction.

I enjoyed the "Tortanic" videos on youtube, since we're on the topic of SWTOR really.  It's like... a relationship.  You go in expecting unconditional love and support, and since, we can't control things in this "realm", we soon become disappointed, something happens that doesn't meet our expectations, we may get hurt, then in turn, angry that we can't control the situation or person (or game), and like the Yoda quotation, anger turns to hate, hate to suffering...

When really it doesn't matter whether the game succeeds or fails, what matters is the players consciouness.  The players consciousness should be impartial to the happenings of the game, and either way the game turns out, the player should be satistied in the present moment, because that's where the best game is.  In my opinion.  If this makes sense. 

So yeah, emotions arise from within the player, and even though player and game are connected... someone has to take responsibility for the energy emitted, and it's hard to keep placing blame on the environment.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • stormseekazstormseekaz Member UncommonPosts: 168

Originally posted by GrumpyJester

Why are there people so eagerly wishing for the failure of MMO titles? It starts when the MMO is still being developed ("this game is going to fail!"). After launch you have the waves of troll attacks. And finally, as subscribers inevitably start dropping they do their victory-dance ("It's dying, it's dying!"), no doubt hoping to hasten the MMO's demise. Phew, another MMO slayed!

Why are they so eager for failure?

A few reasons people want MMORPG's to fail.

1.  People don't want to keep switching to another MMORPG every 2-4 months.  People are content playing the latest and greatest MMORPG.  When something new comes along with better graphics or whatever, they either have to stick with their old game and always wonder if the grass is greener on the other MMORPG's side, or they can switch games and start over in their community/guild/character building process.  If the new game fails then they no longer need to worry about that game as a potential greener pasture.

2. More players = more subscriptions = more revenue = more expansions / growth. Even though there are WAY more people playing MMORPG's then there were 10 years ago, the player base is still finite.  10 years ago there was just a handful of MMORPG's out.  And there was usually only one new and shiny one.  When games lose enough players, they get shut down.  (Example: Tabula Rasa)  So if the player base is finite, and more games are being added to the pool, then that means more chance for your current game to dwindle into Tabula Rasa'ism.  Also, the more players your MMORPG maintains, the higher the likelyhood that it will have more expansions and patches.  So when a new MMORPG comes out, and people don't want to play it, they want it to fail, so that the game they are sticking with retains its playerbase.  Any new MMORPG is a threat to the playerbase of all other MMORPGs.

3. We are extremely jaded.  People who have played MMORPGs since way back when there was just UO/EQ/DAoC/AC, are extremely jaded.  We are pessimistic now because of how many times the new and shiny MMORPGs thought to be revolutionary turned out to not be so.  In the last 10 years the advances in MMORPG gameplay have not really improved that much.  The graphics and the server/shard capacities have yes.  But what has really been added since 10 years ago?  Group quests, PVP Arenas, Instanced PVP zones (battlegrounds/warzones), RMT/cash-shops(lol?), Quest Indicators.  Thats all I can think of.  None of those features are that fantastic.  DAoC had none of those, and it is considered one of the best PVP games of all time.  For how much technology has evolved, and the internet has evolved, you'd think MMORPG's would of had some major breakthroughts in gameplay innovation, but they haven't really.  I'd say the biggest innovation in gameplay in the last 10 years is the evolution of the MOBA genre.  But that spawned off of RTS, not MMORPG.

4. Citizens of 1st world countries are becoming more selfish/superficial.  I say 1st world countries because I'm speaking mostly about people in developed countries with internet access and enough money to spend on games/recreation etc.  We are becoming a more selfish society and people are no longer caring about others.  Lawsuits are all over the place, taking money from one person and giving it to another, which produces nothing and contributes nothing to society.  The world is a much bigger place now and everyone is connected, so the success of others is in your face all the time now.  Instead of being content with their lives, people are now subjected to all the success stories of others and possibilities they missed out on by choosing the occupation/choices they did.  People have become obsessed with fame, attention, the spotlight, and its all just going down a very shallow superficial path.  People used to be happy for others when they accomplished something, but nowadays its, "Why do they get that and I don't?"  Well this attitude translates into the MMORPG fan base.  We no longer want to be happy for a company, and relish in their success.  We would rather see them fail and relish in the fact some investors lost their money.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by potbellyrhi

Faster the bad ones go away the better chance a good one will get developed?

This isnt a bad idea at all.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

It's just human nature.

We humans haven't changed much since the days we were banging rocks together to make tools, just our enviroment has, and so has our tribal insctincts, which means we seek to belong to a group (tribe) and hate/dislike any other group we perceive as a threat to our own.

A serious MMO gamer usually never plays two games at the same time, and perceives the MMO as a years long commitment,  which activates the tribal part of our brain. That drives it (even if it's just subconciously) to seek constant reinforcements that their choice was the correct one, and at the same time to attack any other MMO they perceive as a threat, because it might steal people from their choice MMO making it, in their minds, a less effective choice.

And also, if we do feel our choice was wrong, we feel betrayed, and another subconcious brain mechanism kicks in. We're wired to warn our tribe of perceived dangers, just that since our lives have become so much safer, things like making the wrong choice of games takes the place of a roaming predator near the village. Which is why the "need" to warn others against what we perceive to be a faulty product is much stronger than the "want" to talk about one that we like or works ok.

And that happens more in MMOs because it's usually an exclusive choice (very few people has enough time to play more than one at the same time, at least in a competitive level) and ideally seen as a years long commitment. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen on other games, though (see any CoD Vs. BF thread in any gaming forum) or even in other products (almost every product review page on sites like amazon.com).

What can men do against such reckless hate?