Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games you can easily get immersed in.

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Has anyone came across any games that they found themselves being immersed for hours in?

Games with a great community and world.

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

A few single player games have done that for me. Never an mmo though.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Originally posted by Sarariel

Has anyone came across any games that they found themselves being immersed for hours in?

Not since about 2002 (for MMOs)- UO was great, DAOC was as well- Even Vanilla WOW had its moments.

-Single player games, Yes. Lots.

Online Games- Nope, not in a LONG TIME.

• Heartily24Heartily24 Member Posts: 11

Browser games.. i think yes..

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

EvE and Mortal Online are the two most immersive MMOs I've played in a long time.  The "fluff" and more mundane activities found in sandbox games are often what makes them feel so immersive, in my opinion.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Console RPG's are the only games ive ever gotten immersed in, Final Fantasy 11 came close though :)

• GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

I actually felt somewhat immersed in City of Villains (and Heroes). The fact that you do one story arc at a time helps a lot, makes you feel like the protagonist of a story (even though it started out slow back then). Having a shopping list of 'quests' (especially the ones that involve capturing rabbits or gathering ingredients) quickly remind me that I'm playing a game.

The other MMORPG in which I was somewhat immersed was actually World of Warcraft, but that only lasted briefly.

Age of Conan was immersive, but had a bit too many 'random' quests, especially as the game progressed.

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122

I always experience this in Assassin's Creed series. It's closer to reality except that I can't do the protagonists' moves

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

it depends on your likes and dislikes since everyones opinion differes your not going to get a straight answer.

its like talking to 20 different people at the scene of a car crash your going to get 20 different answers.

Me? Have I found any immersive MMO? Yes several. Asheron's Call, SWG(Pre-CU), Lineage 2, WoW, EQ2, SWTOR, DCUO, the list for me is ever growing. But my answers dont mean shit to you. If you want to find an immerisve MMO your going to have to ask yourself 1 question: What style of MMO do I want to play? After you answer that then you will find your immersive MMO.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by akiira69

it depends on your likes and dislikes since everyones opinion differes your not going to get a straight answer.

its like talking to 20 different people at the scene of a car crash your going to get 20 different answers.

Me? Have I found any immersive MMO? Yes several. Asheron's Call, SWG(Pre-CU), Lineage 2, WoW, EQ2, SWTOR, DCUO, the list for me is ever growing. But my answers dont mean shit to you. If you want to find an immerisve MMO your going to have to ask yourself 1 question: What style of MMO do I want to play? After you answer that then you will find your immersive MMO.

So you're saying once I figure out what I like.. I can snap my fingers and magically find that MMO for me?

That theory is nice except for when there's still nothing out there good enough to pull you in.  The last MMO that ever gave me that feeling of complete immersiveness was DAoC.  The only one before that was UO.  Unless immersed on rails is your cup of tea, then I'd say tough luck.  Try EvE or even Mortal Online to a much lesser extent, assuming you can handle a vastly broken game.  ArchAge will be the next one for me.  That is, unless something else shows up before they manage to lure in a western publisher and release it here.

The only other game to truly grab me was the entire Baldur's Gate series.  Which by the way, is being redone if you guys aren't aware.  It's the best story in a RPG game that I've ever been lucky enough to experience. 

• abnesherabnesher Member UncommonPosts: 112

If you are a fan of Lord Of The Rings, you have to try out LOTRO. The music, the landscapes, the lore...one of the most immersive mmos I have tried. THe implementation of Book quests really keeps the story going, and considering the age of the game there are a lot of serious players in the game.

---------
    no sig

• meltingstarsmeltingstars Member UncommonPosts: 51

Nice sig Akirra.

As for the original question, MMOs are WoW and Phantasy Star

Single player games... Shining Force II, Earthbound, DnD Warriors of the Eternal Sun, FF7, League of Lengends, Civ 3, 4, 5, Sonic 2, Diablo 1, 2, FF8.. and yeah, those are my best gaming experiences.  Oh and playing Time Spiltters and Madden 08 with my good friends pulling an all nighter. 

and Metal music if that counts.

• Hattie71Hattie71 Member Posts: 5

I was somewhat immersed was actually World of Warcraft, but that only lasted briefly.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

I generally only become immersed in books or single player games.  The one time I became immersed with an MMO was with SWG way back in the day before the NGE.  I just shows that some elaborate themepark can't beat a sand-box with a solid community; but, unfortunately SOE realized that they really really hate subscribers.  I've partially gotten into some other games over the years; but mostly it's just periodic resubscriptions just to see what's up in certain games.