Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question to those who've played Tera and GW2...

AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

Can you/is it possible, to emulate the combat of tera in gw2? As in the fps style mouselook rather than /or is it a wow style click + mash fkeys combat?

I was in the tera beta twice now, and still haven't gotten my 'access' for gw2(but got 3 emails telling me i was accepted :/) so I havent had the chance to try GW2.

Anyone able to confirm/deny how the combat is?(I assume it similar to GW1, and just hope that the mouselook option that was part of gw2 was expanded to allow free use)

Comments

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

Can you/is it possible, to emulate the combat of tera in gw2? As in the fps style mouselook rather than /or is it a wow style click + mash fkeys combat?

I was in the tera beta twice now, and still haven't gotten my 'access' for gw2(but got 3 emails telling me i was accepted :/) so I havent had the chance to try GW2.

Anyone able to confirm/deny how the combat is?(I assume it similar to GW1, and just hope that the mouselook option that was part of gw2 was expanded to allow free use)

How would you explain Tera's combat?

To me playing GW1 and watching GW2, they seem pretty different between the two. Playing wise, in the heat, GW1 locked in on the enemy and always faced it so you could concentrate solely on the order of skills to use, or concentrate on counters. GW2, it doesn't lock in like that anymore, so there will be a lot more mouse action keeping aligned, probably less countering. GW2 seems more like WoW. There seems to be a lot of grass is greener changes in GW's 2. Not sure it's all better, but different, as in they listened to every gripe right or wrong.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Tera uses a target recipticle like an FPS uses. There is no autotarget or lock on target so you actually have to aim your abilities. One thing that it does that I hate is that once you activate an ability it locks your character in place until the animation is done. So in that regard it is inferior to GW2's combat. One thing they have in common is that they both do splash damage (weapons hit more than one target).  I would say Tera is a bit more action oriented except for that animation lock.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

I played Tera beta this past weekend and from watching many GW2 vids I hope they dont emulate Tera combat.. losing my mouse entirely is not something I like, but I know they confirmed that you can look via rightclicking like in other MMOs. GW2 combat seems to be somewhere in the middle of the two, closer to Tera/Vindictus style with minor targeting. There is a lot of movement and all profs can dodge.. unlike Tera.

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Tera uses a target recipticle like an FPS uses. There is no autotarget or lock on target so you actually have to aim your abilities. One thing that it does that I hate is that once you activate an ability it locks your character in place until the animation is done. So in that regard it is inferior to GW2's combat. One thing they have in common is that they both do splash damage (weapons hit more than one target).  I would say Tera is a bit more action oriented except for that animation lock.

oh yea that was annoying, I think the worst was the long range teleport spell I had on my mystic.. I couldnt control my character until the camera caught up >.<

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

I haven't played GW2, but judging from the videos...

No, not quite. You can keep right-click held at all times for persistent mouse-look, but the game still has a targeting system and will auto-aim many (most?) of your attacks. If you don't have a target, however, you will have to manually aim all of your attacks.

To be fair, some skills in Tera (I believe) also seem to lock on. I'd say the combat is much closer to Tera than to WoW, but it still remains a hotkey-driven game. This is only my personal impression. I haven't actually played GW2, and my experience with Tera is pretty limited.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

I haven't played GW2, but judging from the videos...

No, not quite. You can keep right-click held at all times for persistent mouse-look, but the game still has a targeting system and will auto-aim many (most?) of your attacks. If you don't have a target, however, you will have to manually aim all of your attacks.

To be fair, some skills in Tera (I believe) also seem to lock on. I'd say the combat is much closer to Tera than to WoW, but it still remains a hotkey-driven game. This is only my personal impression. I haven't actually played GW2, and my experience with Tera is pretty limited.

I havent played Tera eiteher, but i agree with Shroom, combat is way more active  then GW1 or WoW and comes a lot closer to Terra's system then to old school MMO's.

On top of that, Tera only has one major selling point, being its combat system. GW2 has many many more. In Tera you really need to aim when targetting, but i really dislike the fact that you get rooted in place for as long as the annimation takes, thats a bit a combat breaker for me. In GW2 you dont have to tab target, if you have no target the abbility will fire off in the area directly in front of you and go straght forward, and i dont see where that is any different from Tera. Except when you have a target, it will fire at the target.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I havent played Tera eiteher, but i agree with Shroom, combat is way more active  then GW1 or WoW and comes a lot closer to Terra's system then to old school MMO's.

On top of that, Tera only has one major selling point, being its combat system. GW2 has many many more. In Tera you really need to aim when targetting, but i really dislike the fact that you get rooted in place for as long as the annimation takes, thats a bit a combat breaker for me. In GW2 you dont have to tab target, if you have no target the abbility will fire off in the area directly in front of you and go straght forward, and i dont see where that is any different from Tera. Except when you have a target, it will fire at the target.

this reminded me of something from playing Tera that was a little awkward, I played two classes and both had aoe type abilities that would hit between 3 and 5 targets(heal or attack). What was odd was how this worked, you used the ability then swept your mouse across as many mobs as you could and hit the ability again to fire.. that means you were sort of vulnerable while "targeting" the mobs as well as the whole animation thing.

I do disagree on one aspect however and you can see from my posts I am an avid GW2 fan if you dont know me. The aesthetics are better than GW2 but in a very different way. When I see GW2 I am like WOW that is so cool... look at that!.. omg thats very cool! With Tera I was breathtaken by the world... the ambiance and the world itself were amazing and something western game makers usually fall short on. It stops there though.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Dudes, he is talking about combat - not the graphic style :P

Anyway.

TERA excellent combat. Totally FPS style targeting - you need to aim ! , dodging - the whole deal.

(dont listen to people talking about self rooting - its important gameplay element)

BTW - check RaiderZ , its F2P with same combat style , but imho even better

GW2

Tab targeting. Bit closer to AOC than TERA.

Its mix of old system and TERA.

Stile line of sight, dodging ...

But mch more varied in skills and effects than both Tera and RaiderZ

IMHO

Both have their merits. And both are loads of fun :)

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Dudes, he is talking about combat - not the graphic style :P

Anyway.

TERA excellent combat. Totally FPS style targeting - you need to aim ! , dodging - the whole deal.

(dont listen to people talking about self rooting - its important gameplay element)

BTW - check RaiderZ , its F2P with same combat style , but imho even better

GW2

Tab targeting. Bit closer to AOC than TERA.

Its mix of old system and TERA.

Stile line of sight, dodging ...

But mch more varied in skills and effects than both Tera and RaiderZ

IMHO

Both have their merits. And both are loads of fun :)

you cannot tell me that its important for gameplay to lose every benefit of blinking forward while waiting for the camera to catch up to you.. since that is the animation for it. The rooting is absolutely silly and unneeded. Also not all profs can dodge in Tera.

• darkcircuitdarkcircuit Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by ariboersma

you cannot tell me that its important for gameplay to lose every benefit of blinking forward while waiting for the camera to catch up to you.. since that is the animation for it. The rooting is absolutely silly and unneeded. Also not all profs can dodge in Tera.

The reason the dodging skills are only available for certain classes is that they tend to be classes that are extremely squishy or slow moving. Just because you don't have a specific skill called dodge in Tera, doesn't mean that you can't manually dodge by moving out of the way of an ability. Thats not possible in GW2.

You obviously didnt play all the classes ?

Some classes self root on some skills - with all logical explanation : Like huge damage overhead swing of heavy axe. You couldnt move in RL as well.

Other lighter classes have no self root at all. Like Warrior can move jump and dodge while performing attacks freely.

Its TRADEOFF

If you could perform super damage heavy hits and move in same time - why would anyone play light classes ?

Everyone would just be berserker.

Same goes for dodge

BTW - RaiderZ have much better dodge which is not skill, but available to all classes. Both dodge and block.

Much better combat system IMHO

Originally posted by darkcircuit

The reason the dodging skills are only available for certain classes is that they tend to be classes that are extremely squishy or slow moving. Just because you don't have a specific skill called dodge in Tera, doesn't mean that you can't manually dodge by moving out of the way of an ability. Thats not possible in GW2.

In GW2 you can dodge by jumping out or moving away.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

zip

As far as I know you can do that in GW 2.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

I've played both, but neither for long enough to make a good comparison. But perhaps this video will give you a good idea about the combat in GW2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR0-S9SQCW4

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Actually that is also possible in GW2, especially against mobs with long melee animations and most ranged projectiles. Simply strafing to avoid attacks is possible on both accounts. However due to TERA's annoying self-rooting animation (I played a Mystic), you are either strafing or attacking, never both. It really aggrivated me that the game decided to go for this action oriented style of combat, but wouldn't let me attack on the move image.

It's certainly one thing GW2's combat has over TERA in my opinion, because when I played TERA it was always start-stop-start etc. Also I like how there seem to be tough BAMs to test your skill, so early into the GW2's levelling progress. Got to level 14 in TERA Beta and never got to see a BAM. image

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Some classes self root on some skills - with all logical explanation : Like huge damage overhead swing of heavy axe. You couldnt move in RL as well.

Other lighter classes have no self root at all. Like Warrior can move jump and dodge while performing attacks freely.

Its TRADEOFF

If you could perform super damage heavy hits and move in same time - why would anyone play light classes ?

Same goes for dodge

BTW - RaiderZ have much better dodge which is not skill, but available to all classes. Both dodge and block.

Utter rubbish this.

I have now tried most classes in the game to the extent the EU CB allowed me. Your character is rooted in place no matter which ability you use and you lose all control of your char till the animation ends, even when you activate what could be thought of as your auto-attack equivalent. Yes the duration of the rooting animation vary depending on the skill used but you still stop dead in your tracks regardless. Stop-and-Go combat. It is possible that the rooting is lifted at max level but i doubt it, since the gameplay is designed with the rooting concept as its base.

The dodge on your warrior has a cooldown (5 secs) and an energy requirement and no you can't use any abilities while you are dodging, you have to wait till the dodging animation ends.

Also, please don't try and justify this sort of gameplay mechanics by drawing parallels to RL analogies and references, it only ends badly and is a moot point. Regarding your remark about it being a Tradeoff - Certainly not a very favorable tradeoff to say the least. The way the action-oriented gameplay is implemented in Tera seems very clunky to me and breaks any sense of dynamic gameplay; rooting on every ability is unnecessary. It is perfectly fine on some skills like iconic/hard hitting skills but definitely turned out to be a constant nuisance when the game roots you in place on every skill.

When that's said and done, the combat in Tera is, in my opinion, not bad at all but in fact very involved and by the end of the day, the gameplay it is just a matter of getting used too.

On topic:

Personally i very much hope Anet decides on a more dynamic combat style in GW2, which is what we get by the looks of it. If that means i lose out on aiming (some skills in GW2 do require some degree of aiming) in favor of more dynamic gameplay, then thats totally fine by me.

* Waves at Pushkina *

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Originally posted by megera23

I've played both, but neither for long enough to make a good comparison. But perhaps this video will give you a good idea about the combat in GW2.

Yep it seems GW2 combat is similar to WoW, in that its a TAB-TARGET style...with the ability to dodge (upgraded version of tab-target combat) which is not like TERA's FPS style of combat. Even the "lock-on" skills in TERA have to be aimed at the enemy to even be able to use them.

The combat of this video shows it:

HERE

GW2s combat still looks fun and engaging and allows for movement during combat. TERA may have movement restrictions on some spells, like "FireBlast" for sorcs...mainly cuz its a super-charge spell which can usually one shot people in pvp. Range would kite melee all day, its for balance really...

I for one can't wait to get in a play GW2 along with TERA!  image

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Master10K

Actually that is also possible in GW2, especially against mobs with long melee animations and most ranged projectiles. Simply strafing to avoid attacks is possible on both accounts. However due to TERA's annoying self-rooting animation (I played a Mystic), you are either strafing or attacking, never both. It really aggrivated me that the game decided to go for this action oriented style of combat, but wouldn't let me attack on the move image.

It's certainly one thing GW2's combat has over TERA in my opinion, because when I played TERA it was always start-stop-start etc. Also I like how there seem to be tough BAMs to test your skill, so early into the GW2's levelling progress. Got to level 14 in TERA Beta and never got to see a BAM. image

I agree with this, there was alot I liked about tera, but after 3 beta weekends I just couldn't get past the fact I couldn't move and attack. And tied to this is the ability to attack while jumping.

Originally posted by komobo

Its TRADEOFF

Same goes for dodge

Utter rubbish this.

I have now tried most classes in the game to the extent the EU CB allowed me. Your character is rooted in place no matter which ability you use and you lose all control of your char till the animation ends, even when you activate what could be thought of as your auto-attack equivalent. Yes the duration of the rooting animation vary depending on the skill used but you still stop dead in your tracks regardless. Stop-and-Go combat. It is possible that the rooting is lifted at max level but i doubt it, since the gameplay is designed with the rooting concept as its base.

The dodge on your warrior has a cooldown (5 secs) and an energy requirement and no you can't use any abilities while you are dodging, you have to wait till the dodging animation ends.

Also, please don't try and justify this sort of gameplay mechanics by drawing parallels to RL analogies and references, it only ends badly and is a moot point. Regarding your remark about it being a Tradeoff - Certainly not a very favorable tradeoff to say the least. The way the action-oriented gameplay is implemented in Tera seems very clunky to me and breaks any sense of dynamic gameplay; rooting on every ability is unnecessary. It is perfectly fine on some skills like iconic/hard hitting skills but definitely turned out to be a constant nuisance when the game roots you in place on every skill.

When that's said and done, the combat in Tera is, in my opinion, not bad at all but in fact very involved and by the end of the day, the gameplay it is just a matter of getting used too.

On topic:

Personally i very much hope Anet decides on a more dynamic combat style in GW2, which is what we get by the looks of it. If that means i lose out on aiming (some skills in GW2 do require some degree of aiming) in favor of more dynamic gameplay, then thats totally fine by me.

Ok. Let me give you example of high damage skill that you can do and still move.

Archer : Focused shot

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by DJJazzy

The word you are looking for is Reticule, or Crosshair.

A "Target Recepticle" sounds like a Toilet for Assassin victims.

Just sayin'.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by komobo

Its TRADEOFF

Same goes for dodge

Utter rubbish this.

On topic:

Ok. Let me give you example of high damage skill that you can do and still move.

Archer : Focused shot

Yes i used that skill on my archer, it is a Charged skilled. I honestly cant remember if you can run around while you are charging the skill but i do remember that my little Popori archer got flung back when firing the skill and during that animation you cannot move/control your char.

* Waves at Pushkina *

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by R.I.O.T

Yep it seems GW2 combat is similar to WoW, in that its a TAB-TARGET style...with the ability to dodge (upgraded version of tab-target combat) which is not like TERA's FPS style of combat. Even the "lock-on" skills in TERA have to be aimed at the enemy to even be able to use them.

The combat of this video shows it:

HERE

GW2s combat still looks fun and engaging and allows for movement during combat. TERA may have movement restrictions on some spells, like "FireBlast" for sorcs...mainly cuz its a super-charge spell which can usually one shot people in pvp. Range would kite melee all day, its for balance really...

I for one can't wait to get in a play GW2 along with TERA!  image

I can't really agree about calling the system Tab-targeting, though. You definitely have the option to use tab(if you so desire), but I pressed it no more than 2-3 times, before I figured out I don't need it at all in the 80 minutes of demo time I got. It's an interesting hybrid between Tera's pure FPS targeting and WoW's system I guess, but the dodging isn't the only difference between WoW's system and GW2's.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

really QQ abt the animation lock, which in tera's case is part of the combat mechanics i.e. u cant spam skills like in all the button smashes, just remember one man's meat is another's poison

imo, these games are trying to innovate which is good for us.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

I can't really agree about calling the system Tab-targeting, though. You definitely have the option to use tab(if you so desire), but I pressed it no more than 2-3 times, before I figured out I don't need it at all in the 80 minutes of demo time I got. It's an interesting hybrid between Tera's pure FPS targeting and WoW's system I guess, but the dodging isn't the only difference between WoW's system and GW2's.

Tab-targeting is still what it lookes like regardless of how you try to spin it, you may not be using the tab key but you are still mainly locked on the target you want to use your skills...Especially for range, aoe skills and wide area skills offer a little different approach.  

HERE

HERE - You can see it, don't deny it!

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by R.I.O.T
    Originally posted by megera23I can't really agree about calling the system Tab-targeting, though. You definitely have the option to use tab(if you so desire), but I pressed it no more than 2-3 times, before I figured out I don't need it at all in the 80 minutes of demo time I got. It's an interesting hybrid between Tera's pure FPS targeting and WoW's system I guess, but the dodging isn't the only difference between WoW's system and GW2's.

Tab-targeting is still what it lookes like regardless of how you try to spin it, you may not be using the tab key but you are still mainly locked on the target you want to use your skills...Especially for range, aoe skills and wide area skills offer a little different approach.

HERE

HERE - You can see it, don't deny it!

I don't know what you're trying to show in all these videos you keep posting, but according to your definition, Ocarina of Time is similar to WoW because you can lock onto enemies and "tab" through your targets.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss