Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Review

Comments

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by Leucent

You clearly don t understand a thing I m saying so i ll leave it that your OPINION, vastly differs from mine. Theres nothing factual about the combat is good, you could go on and on and on about why it is, it s still just an opinion. This is why I say it sucks. Not much more needed to be said.

Well, a guy posted in another thread that he disliked Tera combat because he couldn't mouse click the abilities and strafe with the keyboard. He preferred a more traditional approach to mmorpgs, which is fine. That was his opinion of the combat, (which I respect), but he was giving an actual explanation on why he didn't like the Tera combat system. Instead of "combat is bad, whoever does not agree is obviously wrong".

Never said anyone is wrong. I said it s opinion, saying it s factual is laughable.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by Caldrin

IF your into your themepark games, like asian style art and like the action type combat system then i think you will get on with Tera :) as thats what it is lol..

Agree! cuz I love Asian/anime art style!

I played the beta and wish I had more time to play it thru out the weekend. I really like the melee class combat it was fun to start off level 1 and hack-n-slash my way thru leveling. I like the cool monsters design and beautiful arts and scenery. If I were to buy this game it would be for the fun combat and pretty arts but really, I wish it was a free to play or one time buy-the game and play free like GW!

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

You're complaining about city statue frontal nudity? lol

When I read those comments I always check the origin of the person that is making them and they all originate from the same country.

It's extra hilarious considering all the RL statues are, guess what, nude in my country. Especially the males. And obviously noone seems to care about them depicted as they are.

As for the Elins, they are as they are because the Japanese and generally eastern cultures like them that way. And that has nothing to do with how the easterners like their women. If that was true, the westerners would love their women dog ugly and flat chested, because the majority of the western games depict them like this for some reason.

Re-read my review. I did not state that this was my opinion, and I did not put it under "good", "bad" or "average". Instead, I placed this under odd... as in "not common". For western audiences, having frontal nudity or more, even if it is in a static, art styled item, is not something seem commonly in MMORPGs, with the exception of AoC. Much less common is the use of a childlike avatar, specially if this is seen to clearly be sexualized. I put this down as something odd, and I did not put in my personal preferance on this point, and left it to the audience to decide if it was something "good", "bad" or other.

Western games depict women differently than as they are done in Eastern audiences because there is a good deal more "conservative" populations that are very vocal about what they want others to see in games. It doesn't become a question of what is the personal choice of the individual, since not everyone has the same choice. I know of men that want their avatars to be more afeminate than are portrayed in game, as well as women that want a more "butch" look on their female avatar. This, however, does not a whole culture make, or destroy. The US is truly a melting pot of different likes and dislikes, and unfortunately, the mayority often dominates the minority on what they want, instead of being acceptive of all others. If the conservative, and vocal fronts in the country would just turn away from the things they don't like, you will see things very differently here, but since they don't, and they feel they have to put their own opinions on some things on everyone else, things will continue to be the way they are... dog faced, flat-chested and all.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Well, a guy posted in another thread that he disliked Tera combat because he couldn't mouse click the abilities and strafe with the keyboard. He preferred a more traditional approach to mmorpgs, which is fine. That was his opinion of the combat, (which I respect), but he was giving an actual explanation on why he didn't like the Tera combat system. Instead of "combat is bad, whoever does not agree is obviously wrong".

Never said anyone is wrong. I said it s opinion, saying it s factual is laughable.

I you simply something like i don't like it or its bad w/o any reason than stop posting. There is no point to know if you like or dislike the game. The point is why, so we can come to understand why people see this game certain ways. Xasapis been pretty much asking this of you for the past 3 post or so and all you can replay is its an opinion. well DUH most everything here is a freaken opinion but at least some people are decent enough to tell why. So either say why or just stop making pointless posts.

This goes for lot of people as well, if you don't like the game or even if you like it past why. If you just say this game suck or this game is awesome meants nothing if  you give no solid reasoning, and only invite more troll posts.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by rexzshadow

I you simply something like i don't like it or its bad w/o any reason than stop posting. There is no point to know if you like or dislike the game. The point is why, so we can come to understand why people see this game certain ways. Xasapis been pretty much asking this of you for the past 3 post or so and all you can replay is its an opinion. well DUH most everything here is a freaken opinion but at least some people are decent enough to tell why. So either say why or just stop making pointless posts.

This goes for lot of people as well, if you don't like the game or even if you like it past why. If you just say this game suck or this game is awesome meants nothing if  you give no solid reasoning, and only invite more troll posts.

Okay, so you would rather I go into some longwinded explaination, just so you could say the exact same thing to me. Why, it s a waste of my time. I have given reasons, you guys are just ignoring them. I don t have to explain it anymore. So to that, I ll say the game lacks in literally every area, and I don t like it for that reason alone. You all know if I described every little thing I don t like, you would all disagree, and say wall of text etc etc. No need, after I ve already given my reasons, you re just to lazy or don t even read what I actually said, because it s not to your liking.

Too bad, I have every right to say what I do and how I do. As I said before if you don t like it, ignore it.

Okay, so you would rather I go into some longwinded explaination, just so you could say the exact same thing to me. Why, it s a waste of my time. I have given reasons, you guys are just ignoring them. I don t have to explain it anymore. So to that, I ll say the game lacks in literally every area, and I don t like it for that reason alone. You all know if I described every little thing I don t like, you would all disagree, and say wall of text etc etc. No need, after I ve already given my reasons, you re just to lazy or don t even read what I actually said, because it s not to your liking.

Too bad, I have every right to say what I do and how I do. As I said before if you don t like it, ignore it.

So please ignore it and we can ignore you.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

TERA like many other MMOs has its pros and cons (more pros - opinion), but what game doesn't?

CBT4 was fun and full of exploring for me, especially with a great guild...Though in the end, each persons experience will always be different.

CBT use to be more about determining such cons, bugs, needed improvements and server load, so we as players can let companies / publishers (EME / BH) know about such faults and what we want improved. It's not the case it seems, people expect a finished and polished product...we instead get individuals who bash and rant about how bad / crappy / boring...etc the game is, instead of helping to maybe improve TERA.

It happens to all games, I'd like to see these people come up with something better...

For all you B2P fans:

In essence, TERA is like a B2P game... cuz you don't need to pay subsription to play it (maybe the first month), its called Chronoscolls. Look it  up...

HERE

Playing: TERA, DCUO

Will play and waiting for: TERA, GW2, D3, DUST514, AA, SW, WoD

I also think that many of the negative posts and comments about certain games (constant bashing), is actually only coming from a couple of people (same people) with multiple accounts....Just being trolls

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Hmm, can I activate the Chronoscrolls from outside of the game?  Ie, I bought chronoscrolls ahead of time, but decided to stop playing for a while, can I use them to reactivate my account for a month?

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Originally posted by R.I.O.T

TERA like many other MMOs has its pros and cons (more pros - opinion), but what game doesn't?

CBT4 was fun and full of exploring for me, especially with a great guild...Though in the end, each persons experience will always be different.

CBT use to be more about determining such cons, bugs, needed improvements and server load, so we as players can let companies / publishers (EME / BH) know about such faults and what we want improved. It's not the case it seems, people expect a finished and polished product...we instead get individuals who bash and rant about how bad / crappy / boring...etc the game is, instead of helping to maybe improve TERA.

It happens to all games, I'd like to see these people come up with something better...

For all you B2P fans:

In essence, TERA is like a B2P game... cuz you don't need to pay subsription to play it (maybe the first month), its called Chronoscolls. Look it  up...

HERE

Playing: TERA, DCUO

Will play and waiting for: TERA, GW2, D3, DUST514, AA, SW, WoD

I also think that many of the negative posts and comments about certain games (constant bashing), is actually only coming from a couple of people (same people) with multiple accounts....Just being trolls

So ignore them. Stop being a troll yourself. Posting in orange doesnt make us take you more seriously.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by EvilestTwin

Hmm, can I activate the Chronoscrolls from outside of the game?  Ie, I bought chronoscrolls ahead of time, but decided to stop playing for a while, can I use them to reactivate my account for a month?

From what I read, Chronoscrolls are placed in your character's inventory so you would have to already have access to the game.  Furthermore, I read that Chronoscrolls are a way to "extend" game time.  You must already have game time in order to extend it I would think, so I think the answer to your question is NO at least for the time being.  Maybe they'll change it.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

I couldn't get into it, some of the classes look like final fantasy knock offs. starting zone was unimpressive, typical themepark. Not my cup of tea. To all saying give the game a chance, I did, why should you have to level to 10 or 20 to get off a starter island to enjoy the game, not an excuse. Everyone keeps saying the game picks up at level 20, IMO a game should pickup when you double click the icon on your desktop.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by medafor

I couldn't get into it, some of the classes look like final fantasy knock offs. starting zone was unimpressive, typical themepark. Not my cup of tea. To all saying give the game a chance, I did, why should you have to level to 10 or 20 to get off a starter island to enjoy the game, not an excuse. Everyone keeps saying the game picks up at level 20, IMO a game should pickup when you double click the icon on your desktop.

Well considering WoW does not pick up until 85 and soon to be 90 as MoP questing looks just as boring as ever, Id say its safe to say most gamers know judging MMOs based on early experiences is not the best idea, this goes both ways, AoC and SW:TOR start off good and then...well you know.

Just my opinion obviously, but MMOs are interesting beasts and judging them off a few hours of gameplay never turns out well.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by medafor

Lancer is nothing like Dragoon, warrior is nothing like warrior, Mystic is not like bard, Priest?  Yep not like white mage.

This just shows us you didn't even double click to start the game.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Caldrin

Yup at the end of the day Tera is just your average Themepark MMO with a nice combat system :) graphics are pretty good not AOC standard but still better than most out there..

Yup. aoc has some of my favourite art in a game but technically speaking tera's graphics seem better than aoc, ie textures and model quality. but the art style is complete wank. of course its down to your own opinion, tera art style reminds me of WoW. its cartoony/asian/bright/cutsie/kiddy whereas aoc is more realistic, gritty and mature (<3).

My blog: image

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Consensus

Yup. aoc has some of my favourite art in a game but technically speaking tera's graphics seem better than aoc, ie textures and model quality. but the art style is complete wank. of course its down to your own opinion, tera art style reminds me of WoW. its cartoony/asian/bright/cutsie/kiddy whereas aoc is more realistic, gritty and mature (<3).

This totally depends where you go, unlike most MMOs, TERA has a lot of variety in zones which is a very very very welcomed change from an entire world following the same theme everywhere.

Skyrim is a prime example that made me disgusted after a while, it is a breath of fresh air to explore and have the environments change significantly depending where you go.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Thanks mCalvert for the review, that's a fair description of the game. I also lean more toward the sandbox side than themepark. Problem is there isn't any good fantasy ones out there that are 3d.

I think TERA is the first quality MMO in a long time to mix themepark progression, lots of group content and actual exploration. You don't see this until 20-25 unfortunately but I don't need to see the whole game in the first week I Play it. I think we've become a bit spoiled. When you turn level 20 take a look at how much ground you've seen and then imagine a lot of what's left is open space with BAMs to fight. Yummy.

Since last CBT I have tested a new questing technique where I only do the main story quests (red icons) and hunt for xp until the next step becomes available. I'll be posting about it but I've been procrastinating lol. The technique has worked great so far as I've been looking for more of an EQ style progression.

As far as the term "typical themepark" that's a cop out IMO. Take an game and you could day that without taking it's special traits in mind. Almost any game you could say that about. The line for me is open exploration and progression options. TERA has both.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by Consensus

This totally depends where you go, unlike most MMOs, TERA has a lot of variety in zones which is a very very very welcomed change from an entire world following the same theme everywhere.

Skyrim is a prime example that made me disgusted after a while, it is a breath of fresh air to explore and have the environments change significantly depending where you go.

I couldn't disagree more. exploration in skyrim is unparreled due to depth and gameplay. having a different biome every few steps does not make exploration as fun as in skyrim, it does not add depth just a mere change of scenery. infact having it all set in one biome is part of what makes skyrim a believable and immersive land that I want to explore. it would be utterly shallow if the climate changed drastically after a walk.

and back on topic I've only played to max lvl 23 but there is barely any variety so far anyway, although I'm sure there will be more later. but a KEY thing is tera has only ONE starting area and set of quests for EVERY class/race. this means the game essentially has ZERO variety everytime you make a new character. unlike swtor I recently trialed which has 4 different  and pretty unique starting planets/areas.

My blog: image

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Since last CBT I have tested a new questing technique where I only do the main story quests (red icons) and hunt for xp until the next step becomes available. I'll be posting about it but I've been procrastinating lol. The technique has worked great so far as I've been looking for more of an EQ style progression.

I've been doing that for the last two betas as well - and I'm much richer for it. Thanks to the quests giving lots of XP, but not all that much gold, fast levellers also tend to be poorer for the speed. Whereas the people who get their XP almost entirely from monsters have more gold and items to use as they see fit.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

i played cbt4 and i like it, but then one man's meat is another's poison, and i like to experience it for myself b4 and not rely too much on forums :p

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

Originally posted by Elminzter

i played cbt4 and i like it, but then one man's meat is another's poison, and i like to experience it for myself b4 and not rely too much on forums :p

Good for you Elminzter. We need more people that think like you.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Originally posted by mCalvert

*snipe*

Well, like i said, this is more about my preferences than anything. Im tired of fantasy and never enjoyed my little pony MMOs (talking frogs). Im an adult, and this kind of anime is cartoonish. Im a mass murderer after all and this was a western audience.

As for story, if you are going to force me to run 1000 quests, I want it to be GREAT. This is an RPG, not a action game, thus story should be as important as gameplay. MMOs like Darkfall or Planetside, or solo action games like Battlefield dont need a story at all.

Oic, you are an adult.  So why are you playing games anyway?  Don't you know that games are for kids?

Originally posted by Mehve

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

I've been doing that for the last two betas as well - and I'm much richer for it. Thanks to the quests giving lots of XP, but not all that much gold, fast levellers also tend to be poorer for the speed. Whereas the people who get their XP almost entirely from monsters have more gold and items to use as they see fit.

i did all quest with my friend never seem to have trouble with money, than again i don't use any money lvl =X Well i do lvl purely off dungeon as soon as i can do them which is probably why because the skills in there give good amount of money =D

The cutesy graphics are not all throughout the game, watch some dungeon videos and towards the end areas where the land is being taken over Borg style by the Argon.

I also think the areas 1-20 are not that great. It's too closed in and as was mentioned, the only place to start out. The only positive thing about it is there is that much more world real-estate to explore as you progress. Let's be honest, one night to get 1-10 and one or two more for 11-20 tops. I hear the leveling curve sharpens a bit but at that point you are "out of the woods" and you get a few options of exploration.

OP,

You might try limiting yourself to the story quests. You get the "whole story" without it having it deluted by the side quests.

I get that BHS was trying to give people an all quest route but there are just too many quests. Some people might like that but I'd rather they take 3/4 of the side quests away and put in longer epic quests to break up the main story, smaller parallel ones. Green icons maybe?

• bakon2bakon2 Member UncommonPosts: 129

played for about an hour...logged off, uninstalled and cancelled pre-order.