Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR or Rift

Gamer1o1Gamer1o1 Member Posts: 20

Which of the two would better to play atm till GW2 comes out? I am pretty bored and just want something fun in the mean time.

Comments

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Rift gets my vote.

It's not a game I would pay for, but imo it's better than SW:ToR, and the game (not the sub) is much cheaper.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

very simple if you like wow like game with the ability to employ many different skills ala guild wars than rift is for you, if you like Story, cut scenes, voice overs, companions, great sound, small groups and plot than swtor is for you

• TheDubanat0rTheDubanat0r Member Posts: 76

i resubbed to WoW today.....and it was a waste of $15 instantly board when i loged in :( Rift has some good end game content but its still so simalur to WoW. SWTOR should keep u satisfied as long as you approuch it like a single player RPG with some social aspacts. 

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I play both, but I'm leaning more toward RIFT.  Some reasons would be:

• Solid gameplay with a Group Finder to get you into the game faster

• Currently involved in another World Event leading up to another content patch

• Servers are more active for longer periods of time, and people are still playing in most zones across the game map

• I'm not much of a PvP'er, but the Warfronts seem more solid and more people seem to participate in them in RIFT

• The forward momentum of the game seems more planned out and solid than SWTOR's haphazard updates (e.g ridiculous, almost useless Legacy system)

I just resubscribed to RIFT because my friends abandoned SWTOR within a month of playing and returned, so I went back to play with them.  SWTOR feels like it's dying a slow, agonizing death.  Maybe the next Content Update will rescue it, but right now I find I'm not interested in logging in, and my SWTOR guild mates barely log in, if at all.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Also played both and leaning towards Rift as it was one of the more fun mmorpgs

• Gamer1o1Gamer1o1 Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by TheDubanat0r

i resubbed to WoW today.....and it was a waste of $15 instantly board when i loged in :( Rift has some good end game content but its still so simalur to WoW. SWTOR should keep u satisfied as long as you approuch it like a single player RPG with some social aspacts. 

Ya, I did the same with WoW a couple of days ago, and after a couple LFR and such I was bored already

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

I'm pretty biased because I like RIft so much. But yeah, you should play Rift. 

Rift

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Exactly the problem... You play it like a singleplayer game which lasts you a week or so before you "beat it"

Then what?  You beat the game!

• SoopamanSoopaman Member Posts: 65

Rift PVP is by far the worst. Leveling in Rift is much faster than SWTOR. Good endgame content. Rift has bosses that make you jump up & down, then run around like idots. Group finder is nice. Very group dependant game which I hate.

The Gaming Community Can Kiss My Arse

• SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278

I know this cool MMORPG...its call REAL LIFE its crazy you can do almost anything and feel stuff...its not my cup of tea however i prefer to stay in my man-cave and play my games :-P

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by SlyGamer79

I know this cool MMORPG...its call REAL LIFE its crazy you can do almost anything and feel stuff...its not my cup of tea however i prefer to stay in my man-cave and play my games :-P

Pfft, Real Life mmorpg is nothing but another P2W grinder.  Who needs that?  

Anyway, my vote is for SWTOR.  I've played both, and just feel SWTOR is a superior game in terms of fun-factor.  But that's just my own personal opinion.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Gamer1o1

Which of the two would better to play atm till GW2 comes out? I am pretty bored and just want something fun in the mean time.

If you decide to chose Rift, Before you Sub....Ask yourself why you don't play WoW anymore.

Trust me, that question is important.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Nahh, that's a SandBox and it's WAY too boring..Too buggy....Too many currency sinks. It's overrun with RMT coin sellers.. the list goes on..

And the community sucks

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by eddieg50

very simple if you like wow like game with the ability to employ many different skills ala guild wars than rift is for you, if you like Story, cut scenes, voice overs, companions, great sound, small groups and plot than swtor is for you

Personally I would agree with this person.  My own advice would be SWTOR, since the gear grind isn't really felt until endgame and not much even then, unlike a skill grind which is normally felt throughout RIFT.  I know Rift does not actually have a skill grind, it just feels like it since three souls with all the trees and crap made it feel like i needed computer generated flow charts to actually make a worthwhile character, just like a skills grind game does.  Add to that alt builds and it gets even worse.  Then there is the fact that RIFT has about 25% to 30% of the content that SWTOR has. For me that is a huge factor.   In the end though, it really is up to you and what you like in a game. 

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by Painlezz

Exactly the problem... You play it like a singleplayer game which lasts you a week or so before you "beat it"

What do you mean, "Then what?"  You do the same exact thing you do with every other themepark MMO...you begin the endgame progression grind or you re-roll an alt and do it all over again.  How is TOR any different from Rift in that respect?  

• Marchosias13Marchosias13 Member Posts: 6

As far as content.................HANDS DOWN RIFT

As far as pvp.....................HANDS DOWN RIFT

As far as pve......................HANDS DOWN RIFT

Rift blows SWTOR away...Its not even close...........

Whatever happened to the IN BIOWARE WE TRUST signatures?

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by Painlezz

What do you mean, "Then what?"  You do the same exact thing you do with every other themepark MMO...you begin the endgame progression grind or you re-roll an alt and do it all over again.  How is TOR any different from Rift in that respect?  

Actually, that isn't just a problem of themepark games.  For most people, even sandbox games reach a point where the skill grind is useless OR you feel a need to start over and try again.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by BartDaCat

I play both, but I'm leaning more toward RIFT.  Some reasons would be:

• Solid gameplay with a Group Finder to get you into the game faster

• Currently involved in another World Event leading up to another content patch

• Servers are more active for longer periods of time, and people are still playing in most zones across the game map

• I'm not much of a PvP'er, but the Warfronts seem more solid and more people seem to participate in them in RIFT

• The forward momentum of the game seems more planned out and solid than SWTOR's haphazard updates (e.g ridiculous, almost useless Legacy system)

I just resubscribed to RIFT because my friends abandoned SWTOR within a month of playing and returned, so I went back to play with them.  SWTOR feels like it's dying a slow, agonizing death.  Maybe the next Content Update will rescue it, but right now I find I'm not interested in logging in, and my SWTOR guild mates barely log in, if at all.

nah RIFTS pvp is worse, SWTOR has bad PVP but rifts is like the worst i've EVER played (RIFT is better for open world PVP though I guess, in that you've more chance of seeing it, but the actual combat mechanics dont work good for PVP at all)

on all other coutns though RIFT is the better game.  At what it does - PVE themepark - its very good, maybe the best mmo at that kind of game.

I would also add in RIFTS favour;

way less instanced, a much more open world, and more fun for exploring (cairns, collections etc..)

the world feels more alive, with criters, weather, day night cycles etc..

the world also feels more alive with the rifts and invasions

It feels less grindy while leveling, you don't have to trudge through the quests, when your bored of questing you can make a group and go around chasing the rifts and invasions instead

The dungeons are good, possibly only beaten by some of the better wow and aoc dungeons

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

Why not do the RIFT free trial?

But..honest to GOD...I hate TOR with a passion. That is all I will say. Go RIFT. And no I'm not a troll. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by GMan3

Personally I would agree with this person.  My own advice would be SWTOR, since the gear grind isn't really felt until endgame and not much even then, unlike a skill grind which is normally felt throughout RIFT.  I know Rift does not actually have a skill grind, it just feels like it since three souls with all the trees and crap made it feel like i needed computer generated flow charts to actually make a worthwhile character, just like a skills grind game does.  Add to that alt builds and it gets even worse.  Then there is the fact that RIFT has about 25% to 30% of the content that SWTOR has. For me that is a huge factor.   In the end though, it really is up to you and what you like in a game. 

lol its not hard to build characters in RIFT.

Its on a par with COH or something in that regard, its hardly EVE or something.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I prefer second life, the graphics are better
  • TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Originally posted by GMan3

lol its not hard to build characters in RIFT.

Its on a par with COH or something in that regard, its hardly EVE or something.

The gear grind is felt at level 5. What you talking about? You must be playing an OP class 

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

RIFT.

I just came back to Rift after 2 of the most dissapointed months of my gamer life in Swtor....

but again...it´s all about tastes

Yoou can try both in trials...but honestly...dont expect Swtor to get better at higher levels...

Originally posted by RefMinor

I prefer second life, the graphics are better

Plus it's easier to get laid in Second Life.  

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Aion, it's F2P, in fact try all the free trials and F2P games you can and get a feel for new concepts, then you can become as cool and jaded as me when a single MMO doesn't encompass all the different good bits, you will also have a better understanding of why SWTOR is shit.